Author Topic: Sexual Harrasment perspective  (Read 922 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Sexual Harrasment perspective
« on: April 25, 2006, 12:21:00 AM »
On talk radio a lady called in and
said sexual harrasment claims are
only filed against guys if they
are not good looking.

All the callers after her laughed
and said that she was right.

I think she has a point too!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 08:55:00 AM »
Funny you should bring this up. I worked for a company where most of the men were older and maybe not so attractive to the young women who also worked there. ( Can you tell who was doing the hiring??)
Anyway, any time any of the older men maybe flirted a little with one of the women, or even just gave them a compliment, you could just feel the woman freezing him out. Don't want to give ANY encouragement to this guy.

So we had a company tranfer arrive at our office one day, who just happened to be a young, very attractive single guy. You should have seen the change in the way most of the women behaved. Some of then starting dresssing a little sexier, hanging around his desk, making suggestive comments. It was something to see

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 02:40:00 PM »
That is it!

No crime really, just human nature.

Perhaps the severity of sexual
harrasment ought to be reconsidered
using this acknowledgement.

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »
When I was 16, I wanted to work with my friends, so I was hired at a local steakhouse. The manager and his friends were very good looking in their upper twenties to lower thirties... they were constantly badgering me and even offering me drugs. I was naive and not very savvy, so I just laughed it off but took care never to go to their parties etc.  I thought it was weird guys that age would bother with a sixteen year old. I found out later they were offering my friends drugs to get with me. Apparently, one was a dealer.

Not two months after starting the job, I picked up a co-worker who called me at work (who was married to a Navy guy). She was not some floozy. She was invited to a "party." The manager kept saying people would come. She passed out after only two drinks, and woke up unclothed with purple splotches all over her neck. She called me crying, but was too horrified to do anythng (this was before Anita Hill).  I quit right afterward.

After that, I found out the manager hired his girlfriend's and best friend's girl, and raped her, too under mysterious circumstances. (I went to CEDU soon after, so I don't know the outcome of the case.  I know he went to jail. )

In fact, one of my friends who started a sales job was getting all kinds of odd ball phone calls from her boss at weird hours (they were both good looking--but she wasn't interested).  It was creeping her out, so when she got a late night call from her boyfriend, she told him how freaked out she was... it turne dout it was her new "boss" pretending to be her boyfriend. She quit in a flash.  

I do agree that people take simple flirtation too seriously at times, and could just say "thanks, but no thanks."  

But I also know of plenty of stories where sexual harassment was not a misnomer. I've had teachers, co-workers, hell, even relatives hit on me at a young age, so I do believe women in general need a little extra protection.

I don't really care about crass jokes etc. if the joker is an equal opportunity offender. I don't care about flirtatiousness, although I do not like being at the receiving end of it from my boss. But I do care when you feel coerced, unsafe, or uncomfortable in what is supposed to be a professional setting.
hanlea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 05:07:00 PM »
I do agree that people take simple flirtation too seriously at times, and could just say "thanks, but no thanks."

It's not really a problem if they accept "thanks, but no thanks"? If they don't let it go, then it could be considered harrassment, Male or Female. Boss or Employee. I've met plenty a woman who would qualify. Ya just don't often hear of men reporting it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 08:43:00 PM »
Each situation has to be played out differently.