Author Topic: So sad....  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Irish Mom

• View Profile
So sad....
« on: April 04, 2006, 09:57:00 AM »
This just happened.  I know it doesn't really have anything to do with WWASP except for the fact that Nick was a student at SCL.  It's just so very sad....

Montana/Regional News

Bodies of missing mother, son found near Superior
By the Associated Press

SUPERIOR - The bodies of a Minnesota woman and her son who have been missing for nearly a week were found near here late Monday afternoon, Sanders County Sheriff Gene Arnold said. They apparently died of hypothermia.

Niki Thomas, 51, a high school librarian from Rochester, Minn., was in Montana visiting her son Nicholas Thomas, 15, who attended the Spring Creek Lodge Academy in Thompson Falls.

She rented a vehicle and drove him from Thompson Falls to an orthodontist appointment in Missoula on March 27. The two were last heard from the following afternoon when they called a family member from a cell phone. They had just left Missoula and were traveling west on Interstate 90 toward Highway 200.

Police say a snowmobiler spotted their stranded vehicle in a snow-clogged mountain pass near Superior on Monday. Authorities believe the two died of hypothermia after trying to walk from the vehicle.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Despair or folly?  It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.  We do not.  It is wisdom to recognize neccessity, when all other courses have been weighed, though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false h

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
So sad....
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »
That is totally sad. I read the article a couple of times, maybe even more? So, the mom had come to visit her son, and take him to his orthodontist appointment? So, she was up for a visit.......and the son stayed with her a couple days in the nearest town? Then on the way back the car crashed/slid off the road/got stuck/died?

Then the two exit the car and die of hypothermia? Am I reading this right? I don't know the highways out there, and which way North, South, East, West are as far as heading back to the school?

Any more info on this Irish Mom?
f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline Irish Mom

• View Profile
So sad....
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »
I heard that they were on their way back from the appointment in Missoula and somehow took a wrong turn and ended up where their car was found.  I haven't heard anymore yet, but will post it as soon as I can.  

They had been searching for them for several days.  They had Search and Rescue out, boats going along the rivers, etc.

I really felt that they had gone off the road and into the river.  I had no idea that they had taken a wrong turn somewhere.  It's kind of strange though, because the highway back to Thompson Falls from Missoula is a straight shot.  Maybe they were trying to avoid the road construction between Plains and Thompson and tried to go through Superior...not sure.

It really justs breaks my heart.
Despair or folly?  It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.  We do not.  It is wisdom to recognize neccessity, when all other courses have been weighed, though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false h

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
So sad....
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »
Well, I guess anything is possible. I guess there is a small part of me that wonders maybe they got into an arguement about him returning to the school, and maybe he grabbed the wheel?

I don't know! Just my mind working overtime I suppose. But, I hope when they do their investigation they will tell us more. Such as, did the car have any mechanicle problems? Was there gas left in the tank? How far were each one of the bodies from the car? If there were tracks......did it look like they were running or walking?

I am just curious. Maybe the car did just skid off the road? Maybe not though.[ This Message was edited by: CCM girl 1989 on 2006-04-04 09:15 ]
f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline Irish Mom

• View Profile
So sad....
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »
Here's a little more info on this site that I found.  Wow, everytime I read about this I start the tears all over again.  Nick was such a sweet boy...

http://www.findnickandniki.org/

Offline 69

• View Profile
So sad....
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »
:sad:

This is incredibly sad for all involved. I remember being taken by the SCL van to the orthodontist in Missoula (who wasn't good at all). It was the only time during my stay I left the grounds of SCL, I remember thinking about running while in Missoula. It's a long drive, and a very desolate one as well.

I don't really have anything to say, other than this is a very sad story.   :sad:

Education is that which remains, if one has forgotten everything he learned in school.
--Albert Einstein, Out of My Later Years, 1950

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
So sad....
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »
I checked out all the video, and news  stories. Thank you, and it was unfortunate. You say Nick was such a sweet boy. Do you think he deserved to be there? I mean so many kids don't deserve to be there! Very sad though. I am just sitting here shaking my head.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So sad....
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 06:26:00 PM »
Here's the BLOG

Lots of comments/condolences from WWASPS program parents.

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID ... postID=114

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So sad....
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 06:28:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So sad....
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »
Reading the messages from program parents brought back memories of when Valerie Huron died at Tranquility Bay.  So many program parents offering their symphathy to the parents.Valerie's parents who lived in different homes.

If only we had known then what really had happen to that girl.

I'd bet the kid was resisting going back. Maybe the snowy, icy roads were at fault. We will never know.

The loss of life is always sad.

Offline Irish Mom

• View Profile
So sad....
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 12:14:00 PM »
Here's the latest on Niki and Nick Thomas

By MICHAEL JAMISON of the Missoulian

Niki Thomas was, by all accounts, mighty well organized.

Her brother called it ?hyper-organized? - ?where you and I would have one or two maps, she would have 10,? he said.

Which makes it difficult for John Zahhos to explain in any rational way how his 51-year-old sister and her 15-year-old son came to die late last month, lost in the mountains north and west of Missoula.

?She had more maps than anyone,? Zahhos said. ?They were categorized into three-ring binders with colored tabs, each in its own plastic sleeve.?

In other words, Niki Thomas, a mild-mannered Minnesota librarian, was not the sort to head off on a lark into the wild and wintry unknown. And yet, on the surface at least, it appears that's exactly what she did.

?The family's just beside itself with grief and shock,? said ?uncle? Harry Coin, who married into the Thomas clan. ?We all have questions. We're just all trying to come up with a story to tell ourselves. What were they thinking? So far, we haven't found a very comfortable story to tell ourselves.?

The story, so far as it is known, begins the morning of March 28, when Niki Thomas drove her son from Thompson Falls to Missoula for a dentist appointment. It ends six days later, on April 3, when the two were found in the woods, dead of hypothermia, some five miles from their car.

But the roots of this story reach back a full half-dozen years, to a troubled time when Bill Thomas was dying of cancer. Niki watched helplessly as her husband weakened, and Nick, not quite a teenager, slowly lost his father.

?He battled that cancer for seven or eight months,? Zahhos said, and while the older sons - Louis and Michael - had already left home, ?Nick and Niki went through that daily.?

The strain, he said, came with a price that would finally come due.

?The times when they were truly happiest were when they were all still together as a family,? Zahhos said. ?They were both survivors, but I don't think Niki or Nick ever completely healed.?

In fact, Zahhos said, it was healing that brought the Thomas family from Minnesota to Montana.

?The local education system just wasn't working out for Nick,? Coin said. ?They were muddling through, but it was tough.?

It wasn't that the young man was into drugs or crime or gangs or anything, Zahhos said. Rather, it was ?just a depressed attitude, an emotional state.?

And so Niki Thomas - who her brother says was ?selfless, completely, utterly selfless and devoted to her boys? - started looking for ways to help her son. That help, ultimately, came in the form of Spring Creek Lodge Academy. Located about 15 miles west of Thompson Falls, Spring Creek is a boarding school renowned for turning around troubled teens.

One year ago, Niki sent her boy west from their home in Rochester, Minn., ?to help Nick become a young man, with honor and integrity,? Zahhos said. ?And that's what Nick wanted, too.?

It was a proactive decision by a tightknit family, he said, and it was working.

?Nick knew he was growing up and he was proud of it,? Zahhos said. ?He loved the mountains, loved being in that area. The rules and the structure just clicked and worked for him. He was there for the right reasons, and he was OK with that.?

What was not OK, however, were his teeth.

Nick Thomas, like so many other teens, needed his wisdom teeth removed.

And so on March 27, his mother flew into Kalispell from Rochester, landing not long before midnight. By 3 a.m., she was checked into the Lakeside Motel in Thompson Falls.

It was a short night, though, and by 6:30 she had picked up Nick for his 10:40 a.m. appointment with a Missoula orthodontist.

Her route to town took her east on Highway 200, down Highway 135 to Interstate 90 and on into Missoula. It's a long drive, made longer surely by her lack of sleep and a long stretch of heavy road construction.

Later that day, on the way back to Spring Creek, son Louis called his mother on her cell phone. She was on I-90, she said, and Nick wasn't feeling well. It was 2:30 p.m., and it was the last time anyone heard from Niki Thomas and her son.

When they didn't arrive at Spring Creek by 7:30, school officials worried. When they didn't call from Thompson Falls, Louis worried.

By morning, family was arriving from Minnesota, and the search was on.

Six days later, Nick and Niki were found dead on a little-known logging road that cuts over the mountains between DeBorgia and Thompson Falls.

?Who knows,? Coin said. ?Maybe she'd just had enough of 135 and 200 and the construction delays and decided to go a new way.?

Or maybe, Zahhos said, ?they were brought there for a purpose, by the hand of God, to join Bill. I know there was a reason, and they were OK, and that's all that matters.?

Niki Thomas not only had the maps, she had the know-how.

?These people had a cabin in northern Minnesota, and they knew about cold,? Coin said.

They played broomball at 20 below on frozen lakes, snowmobiled abandoned rail beds.

?To head up a snowy mountain pass in heels and a light coat,? Coin said, ?we just don't get that. Why would they believe that's a good decision??

Coin, in his search for answers, desperately wanted there to have been a sign on I-90 flagging the mountain road as a good route to Thompson Falls, or at least a sign showing them the way back to Highway 135 - anything, he said, that would have encouraged them to make such a move. Then, he said, it would make sense.

But there are no such signs. In fact, the only signs they would have passed are signs indicating that ?County Maintenance Ends Here,? and they were the sort who surely would have known what that meant, Coin said.

The Forest Service road Nick and Niki took is not gated or signed as closed, ?but we don't plow snow,? said agency engineer Eric Barclay, ?and so basically all our roads are seasonal.?

Perhaps they chose the route simply because, unlike most logging roads, it appears on state highway maps and looks like a good shortcut.

But why then did they push on uphill once their rental rig got stuck, rather than walking back down the way they came?

?It looks like they just made a series of poor choices,? Coin said.

But how poor were those choices, really?

Certainly, few locals would blaze up a mountainside logging road into snow-choked wilderness looking for a shortcut at this time of year. But, Coin reasoned, in most of Minnesota there's no such thing as a ?seasonal? road.

Likewise, most Montanans might hike back out the way they came once their rig bogged down. But in Minnesota, he said, there's always a house just up the way a bit.

?In Minnesota,? he said, ?it's flat, flat, flat. Cell phones work everywhere. Roads are plowed, and they go somewhere. You have to assume there's a house not far up the road. You can't go any direction for very long in Minnesota without coming across a house.?

Also, uphill's surely the way to a cell-phone connection.

And so to Nick and Niki, Coin said, taking a road clearly shown on a highway map would not have seemed a bad choice. Likewise, hiking on up the road once stuck wouldn't have seemed a bad choice, either.

In fact, there was still gas in the rig when it was found, enough to run the engine and keep warm for quite a while.

Yet they didn't wait, didn't go back. Obviously, Coin said, they were not feeling desperate. They were simply moving on after getting stuck in the snow.

The very notions of wintertime road closures and huge swaths of undeveloped and unoccupied federal lands, he said, were simply foreign to them. How could Niki know that 85 percent of Mineral County is national forest land, with nary a cabin or homesite?

They were in trouble without even knowing it, and so they made decisions that now seem difficult to comprehend. Had they known, Coin said, they likely would have made very different choices.

Or perhaps not.

?If they were worried, if they were not at peace,? Zahhos said, ?they would not have made those choices. They were led for a purpose, and it was time.?

There's a Web site where friends and family have gathered to honor Niki and Nick Thomas, a place where their pictures smile out from the screen.

She's short in the black-and-white image, her head barely reaching her son's chin. But her eyes are wide and alert, looking straight into the camera - no nonsense, but happy and bright. There's a depth to her smile that makes you smile back. He wears a buzz cut, tall and handsome, eyes hidden in shadow, necktie loosed, collar open, embracing his mother with a grin.

He would have been back home to Minnesota come fall, back to school with his friends. And she would have been right there with him, the school's librarian.

On the Web site, people say in many different ways what wonderful people they were, say that Nick was growing into a man of character and integrity, that Niki was happy, genuine, warm, strong, courageous, a trusted confidante.

?They were absolutely the genuine article,? Zahhos said.

But mostly those who have logged on say, over and over and over, that the whole accident simply doesn't seem real.

Perhaps that's why Zahhos looks beyond the earthly for a story he can hang on to.

?When you strip away all the other possibilities,? he said, ?nothing makes sense unless you believe they were brought there for a purpose. That might not make a lot of sense to some people, but that's OK.

?They're together again as a family. Personally, I take comfort in that. They were healed enough, and it was time for them to go. They adored the mountains. God took them up that mountain, and they were OK. They were OK.?

Reporter Michael Jamison can be reached at 1-800-366-7186 or at [email protected]

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
So sad....
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »
After reading that article....finding out there was gas in the car......I am starting to think that maybe my first initial thoughts and feelings about what happened were right.

I want to be respectful of the dead. But, it doesn't sound like Nick was that bad of a kid? Having his Father die, was so hard on him. Why would a Mother send him to a place like Spring Creek Lodge to have him deal with the loss of his Father?

WTF? I don't get it? Then they say Nick was doing well, and liked the program? I don't know........something is not adding up here?

Offline The Liger

• View Profile
So sad....
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »
I don't think a kid who just got his wisdom teeth pulled out and was feeling sick would try to run.  Especially not in the snow.
t\'s pretty much my favorite animal. It\'s like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic.

Offline Irish Mom

• View Profile
So sad....
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 09:54:00 PM »
On 2006-04-09 17:06:00, The Liger wrote:

"I don't think a kid who just got his wisdom teeth pulled out and was feeling sick would try to run.  Especially not in the snow.
"

I think you're right Liger.  In fact, it was reported that when Nicki called and was talking on the phone to her older son she said that Nick was feeling sick.  I really feel that this was just a series of mistakes that anyone of us could have made in these circumstances....Or maybe like the article said, it was their time to join Nick's dad.  That's what I would like to think.  Makes me feel a little better about the whole thing and that's what it sounds like the family is wanting to believe.  That's the most important thing.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So sad....
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »
THOMPSON FALLS, Mont. A Minnesota woman and her son were found dead of exposure this week, after leaving a vehicle that was stuck in deep snow on a logging road in western Montana.
Today there is new information from the Mineral County sheriff, who says he found food, water and warm clothing inside the rented Nissan X-terra. And Sheriff Hugh Hopwood says it had half a tank of gasoline, which means they could have run the engine enough to keep warm.

Instead, 51-year-old Niki Thomas and her 15-year-old son, Nicholas, left the vehicle and apparently died of hypothermia. They went forward -- uphill -- perhaps trying to find a cellular phone signal. Had they gone back they way they came, they might have reached some houses just a couple of miles away.

Niki Thomas was a high school librarian in Rochester, Minnesota. She was visiting her son, who attended the Spring Creek Lodge Academy in Thompson Falls. They were driving back to the school after they boy saw an oral surgeon in Missoula.

----

(APcredit: Kathy Weber, KPAX-TV)

http://www.ktvq.com/Global/story.asp?S=4737683