Author Topic: Shocking  (Read 5014 times)

Offline MomCat

• View Profile
Shocking
« on: March 29, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »
A debate on shock therapy:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/commandingheigh ... _full.html

It's nothing new:

USA Today Series
12-06-1995

More children undergo shock therapy
For the first time in four decades, children and adolescents are being used as subjects of significant new shock therapy studies.

The studies are being done quietly at respected schools and hospitals such as UCLA, the Mayo Clinic and the University of Michigan.

Shock therapy's use is on the rise, especially among the elderly. Children and other high-risk patients are receiving more shock as well, mostly as a treatment for severe depression.

Children still account for a small percentage of shock patients, and no national estimates exist.

But at a seminar for shock therapy doctors in May, one-third of psychiatrists raised their hands when asked if they did shock on young people.

University of Pennsylvania neuroscientist Peter Sterling, a shock opponent, calls the child studies "horrifying. . . . You're shocking a brain that is still developing."

California and Texas ban shock therapy on kids under 12. Most states permit it with approval of two psychiatrists and a parent or guardian.

Shock researchers met in Providence, R.I., in the fall of 1994 to discuss early results of the new studies, mostly unpublished.

"There's no evidence that electroconvulsive therapy affects brain development of children in any permanent way," says researcher Kathleen Logan, a Mayo Clinic psychiatrist.

"Parents and patients have been receptive in a vast majority of cases," Logan says. "We do a lot of education. We show them a video and the ECT suite. They're so desperate that they'll give it a try."

The latest child shock researchers compare their results to the pioneering work in the field: a 1947 study by psychiatrist Lauretta Bender.

Bender's study reported on 98 children (ages 3-11) shocked at Bellevue Hospital in New York. She reported a 97% success rate: "They were better controlled, seemed better integrated and more mature."

In 1950, Bender shocked a 2-year-old who had "a distressing anxiety that frequently reached a state of panic." After 20 shocks, the boy had "moderate improvement."

But in a 1954 follow-up, other researchers could not find improvement in Bender's children: "In a number of cases, parents have told the writers that the children were definitely worse," they wrote.

Today's researchers interpret Bender's study as evidence that shock works, at least temporarily.

The new studies are again reporting great success. A UCLA study had 100% success in nine adolescents. The Mayo Clinic found 65% were better. At Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto, 14 who received shock spent 56% less time in the hospital than six who refused the treatment.

Ted Chabasinski, who as a 6-year-old foster child was shocked 20 times by Bender, says the research is unethical and should stop.

"It makes me sick to think children are having done to them what was done to me," says Chabasinski, a lawyer. "I've never met anyone other than myself who's functional after being shocked as a child."

By Dennis Cauchon, USA TODAY
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »
They're so desperate that they'll give it a try.

This seems to be the justification du jour when it comes to abusing children.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 03:14:00 PM »
You've got a wrong link at the start of your post.

And I don't believe this shit. What the fuck are they thinking? Do they really not know the relationship between electricity and brain cells? Do they jerk off when they do this to kids, or what?

I'll fucking say it again, you assclowns want shock therapy? I'll give you shock therapy. Lightning flashes between Luke's hands- he's gonna fry someone's ass.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 01:30:00 AM »
The 1st link was to a debate, which worked for me, the 2nd is an article showing this has been going on for quite some time.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 09:46:00 PM »
They did a story on shock therapy in programs at Three Springs last week on the Paula Zahn show.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 10:10:00 PM »
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ ... zn.01.html

But first, is it time we rewrite that old nursery school rhyme about girls and boys? You know, the one about sugar and spice? How about this? Young and bright and ready to fight. That's right. More girls are throwing punches and not just in the movies. Instead of "See Jane Run," it's see Jane hit. Our Jonathan Freed has more on girls with the gloves off in tonight's "Eye Opener."

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

JONATHAN FREED, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): Kristen (ph) is a teenager who's found a way to be at peace with herself. Even animals feel it.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE : When I used to be scared, the horses used to be scared.

FREED: But not so long ago, Kristen had serious behavioral problems.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: When I turned 10, I'd start hitting walls when I was at angry. At times, it felt good to feel pain, just so I wouldn't have to feel the pain inside.

FREED: Soon, walls weren't enough.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: The first fight I got into, it was actually with a guy. We were like 11-years-old. And I jumped in and I started just swinging at the kid and kicking him and just screaming at him and cussing at him.

FREED: She says her unbridled rage led to her using and selling drugs and fighting with anyone.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Getting suspended in school and -- like I got suspended for me and my friend, a teacher was yelling at us and we got up in their face. And she hit the teacher and then I came in and hit the teacher also.

FREED: We met Kristen (ph) at a treatment program for troubled kids called "Three Springs" in the mountains outside Huntsville, Alabama. Her case, though extreme, is by no means unique.

(on camera): Were you surprised by your findings?

PROFESSOR JAMES GARBARINO, LOYOLA UNIVERSITY: In a way, what I was surprised by was why it hadn't occurred to me earlier to look at this.

FREED (voice-over): Psychology professor James Garbarino, who's written a book called "See Jane Hit," argues aggression among girls is on the rise.

GARBARINO: Well if you look at some of the numbers, you see the Justice Department, the various state agencies that compile arrest rates saying that a generation ago for every one girl arrested for assault, there would be 10 boys arrested for assault. And more recently it's more like four boys for every one girl.

FREED: He says the problem goes beyond arrest records. Garbarino interviewed 200 girls for his book. And he says these days your daughter is likely to be bombarded with all kinds of aggressive images in pop culture, examples which could cause your child to act out at school, at home, everywhere.

(on camera): Tell me what it's like when you're starting to feel angry.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: When I'm starting to feel angry, like my fists get all tight and my jaw clenches up.

FREED (voice-over): Kristen says she was influenced by pop culture.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: When you see things on T.V. or like on MTV, BET, girls fighting or -- you know, that's cool to fight you know -- people don't look up to you if you don't fight.

GARBARINO: In the past you might have said to your girl, girls don't hit and be able to back that up with what she saw in the larger culture. Today that's simply not true. It's not true. Girls do hit. And they can see evidence of that, so that they are being given permission.

FREED: Garbarino says a widely-publicized hazing incident at a suburban Chicago high school in 2003 is a perfect example of girls acting out. Five girls were hospitalized, 15 charged with misdemeanor battery.

MIKE MALES, SOCIOLOGIST: This is not a real increase in violence.

FREED: Sociologist Mike Males says society is simply more sensitive to violence now and quicker to make it a big issue.

MALES: There's very little statistical evidence that we've seen more violence among young girls. In fact, they seem to be safer and less violent today than in the past.

FREED: Karen Tisdell says she's seen girls becoming more aggressive in the 10 years she's run the treatment program here. But she doesn't put all of the blame on pop culture.

KAREN TISDELL, THREE SPRING: I don't think it's the cause. I do think that it's fueling it. I think a lot of the issues are more deep seated.

FREED: Issues like anger and abandonment. Kristen started feeling angry when her parents split up. But after a year at Three Springs, Kristen's learned to refocus her aggression.

(on camera): Do you feel that you're going to be able to keep it together? Are you going to be able to stay the person that you've become?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I mean, I think like yes I'm going to be able to be who I am. I'm not perfect and I'm going to mess up, like that's OK with me. Just as long as I'm able to bounce back up from that.

FREED (voice-over): She wants future without violence and she's convinced it's possible if she tries. Jonathan Freed, CNN, Chicago.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

COLLINS: And there's this. Professor Garbarino says there are warning signs parents can look for in their daughters. Are other kids avoiding her? Is someone being hurt by her behavior? And do teachers and coaches say she's behaving badly? You might want to ask yourself those questions.

Meanwhile, we'll continue our focus on children and violence in just a moment with a visit to a school that uses electrical shocks to keep kids in line.

How much of a shock? See what happens when one of our reporters gets wired up and they push the button.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 10:54:46 AM »
The Florida Senate Health Regulation committee is meeting tomorrow
Febuary 21, 2007 to consider a bill to ban Shock Treatment on kids under 18 in Florida. You can see the full bill here:
http://tinyurl.com/2rvj2n

Please e-mail Senator Atwater, Chairman of the committee and cc the
Senate committee members. Tell the Senators to vote YES on Senate
Bill 112. (e-mail addresses provided below)

If you know any health care professionals who can testify against shock
treatment or victims of shock treatment who want to speak out, please
contact Lee Sheldon, [email protected]

Senate Health Regulation committee members:
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected]
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 11:30:54 AM »
Maybe someone can use some of that zap zap therapy to blast the lard right out of Izzy retarded head. Shame it is used on kids in the first place, and a bigger fucking shame a fat sack of shit like here would seek to use that tragedy to further her pile of shit web site.

Fucking can't stand most advocates any more than I can stand these shit eating programmies.

Round em all up and shoot em. Plenty of ammo, the govt has been stock piling it since Korean War to fight of the REd Menace. Now we got a threat right in our own backyard that makes the Soviets look like a bunch of dancing queens.

Lock and load and shoot to kill boys. Take no prisoners.

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
    • http://www.perverted-justice.com
Shocking
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
jesus thats barbaric.....

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 11:37:56 AM »
Wow.  

My husband just went through a series of ECT treatment.  Ya know ... treatment of last resort.  All throughly endorsed and recommended by his psychiatrist.

The effects were horrendous.  He is just now recovering.  

And his depression?  Absolutely no better.

I can't even begin to imagine the effects this would have on a child.

Outrageous.
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
Shocking
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 12:34:57 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""

6. The results are memory loss, confusion, loss of space and time
orientation and even death.

7. Most patients are given a total of six to 12 shocks, one a day, three times a week.

Ask the foremost psychiatrists and they have no explanation to justify why or how their "treatment" works. It is literally as scientific as sticking one's head in a light socket. Do it often enough and you will become disoriented, confused, lose your memory or even die. Same result as ECT.

It was electric shock "treatment" for depression that led to Ernest Hemingway killing himself.  Confusion and memory problems kept him from writing as well as hunting.  The "cure" effectively destroyed Hemingway's ability to do the things he loved most, and he decided to suicide.

Lou Reed was given ECT in the fifties at his parents' request to end his "aberrant" homosexual activity.  It was only a form of torture, and John Cale has said Lou Reed can't maintain relationships or trust, eventually a damaged synapse fires wrong and his perception of "friends" changes radically.

Why are these snake oil salesmen still pushing high voltage as a tonic for non-existant or more easily treated disorders?
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 12:38:59 PM »
MOM CAT

Go back over on CAICA, ok?

MOM CAT is Isabelle Zehnder!!!!!!!!

Bye Bye, IZZY Girl.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 02:33:07 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
WATCH PRIME TIME TONIGHT
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 02:33:44 PM »

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 02:38:31 PM »
I found this old article on this Judge guy on the New York times website, this is some really sick stuff......

link
By FOX BUTTERFIELD
Published: December 31, 1985

A Massachusetts state agency agreed yesterday to reconsider its order barring a school for autistic children from using a program of physical punishments as treatment.

The agreement, by the Massachustts Office for Children, appeared to be a significant victory for the school and the parents of many of its 64 clients. The parents had protested that their children had regressed into violent or self-abusive behavior after the agency sought in September to close the school and banned physical punishment, known as aversive therapy, for the autistic clients.

Autism is a baffling brain disorder that leads to speech defects and aggressive or self-abusive behavior.

Director Sees a Victory

Matthew Israel, the director of the school, the Behavior Research Institute in Providence, R.I., said he regarded the agreement as ''very much a victory.'' The agreement followed a judge's decision restoring aversive treatment for a child in the school, as requested by her parents.

According to Mary Kay Leonard, the director of the Office for Children, the accord calls for her to appoint a panel of experts ''to advise the agency on the conditions, if any, under which aversive therapy should be authorized in Massachusetts as a treatment for autistic children.'' The panel is to deliver a report in 30 days.

Without conceding that she had backed down from her order banning the physical punishments, Miss Leonard said, ''This will allow B.R.I. one more chance to present to the office exactly what aversive procedures it wishes to use'' and ''to demonstrate that B.R.I. now has the needed safeguards in place.''

Client Died in Treatment

The Massachusetts agency has jurisdiction over Behavior Research because while the school building is in Providence, the students live in seven houses in suburbs just across the Massachusetts border.

The agency's decision to ban aversive therapy came after the death of Vincent Milletich, a 22-year-old autistic man from Queens, who died while being bombarded with staticlike ''white noise.'' His death and the agency's action touched off an emotional dispute among parents, officials in Massachusetts and New York, psychologists and civil liberties groups.

The Office for Children and the civil liberties groups contended that the school's program was cruel. But many of the parents whose children had been expelled from other schools as too violent said it was the only effective treatment the children had ever received.

The parents also feared that if the school was shut, their offspring would end up in state mental hospitals in restraints and heavily sedated. Behavior Research refuses to use drugs.

In part the dispute grows out of sharp disagreements among psychologists over how best to treat autism, with some arguing that patients can be helped by a program solely of rewards, like compliments, hugs and candy, for fulfilling assigned tasks.

Rewards or Punishments

Behavior Research uses rewards, but Mr. Israel had also worked out a graduated system of punishments to be used when the rewards alone were ineffective. These included pinching, spanking, sprays of water or ammonia vapor, and cold showers.

The agreement on the center came 10 days after a probate court judge in southeastern Massachusetts ordered restoration of aversive therapy for Janine Casoria, a 15-year-old from Queens. Judge Ernest I. Rotenberg acted after the girl's parents, Judith and Carlo Casoria, contended in court that their daughter had reverted to uncontrollable, self-destructive behavior, including banging her head against objects and pulling out her hair.

Judge Rotenberg visited the school and watched a videotape of Janine made when she arrived four years ago. The film shows Janine repeatedly banging her head on the floor, pulling out her hair and groaning, despite efforts by attendants to hold her.

''That is one of the most violent scenes I have seen in my life,'' Judge Rotenberg said later in court. ''Why is there a controversy? I have viewed the school. I have seen Janine. I can't understand any reason in the world why this is a controversial procedure.''

Mr. Israel responded that the current trend in child rearing stressed as little punishment as possible.

Mr. Casoria said Janine had made enormous progress after entering the school.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]