Author Topic: Hyde School Woodstock Headmaster Leaving???  (Read 14456 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hyde School Woodstock Headmaster Leaving???
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2006, 03:04:00 PM »
Laura Denton Gauld '76
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2006, 03:07:00 PM »
On 2006-04-13 12:04:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Laura Denton Gauld '76"

aka Mrs Malcolm Gauld.  Is her sister Beth married to a Hyde-ite?

Sue Doenym

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »
Laura Gauld is by far the best of the Gauld lot - I got the letter today, too.  Apparently she is going to continue to live in Bath and go to Woodstock on the weekends........A Head of School only there on the weekends??

I think - and this is my personal opinion - that a Head of School should be ever present on campus and ever available - watching games/patting kids on the back/opening his/her home just to chat....etc. -

Without her presence on the campus 24/7 - these kids will be accountable exclusively to the Deans' Area - and that is a very subjective and arbitrary place....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »
One of Laura's sisters is Clare (Denton) Grant '75, wife of Ken Grant (Hyde alum and staff).
Other relatives of Laura Denton Gauld who are Hyde alums are Beth Denton, Jay Jones, and Debbie Jones.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »
On 2006-04-13 12:08:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Laura Gauld is by far the best of the Gauld lot - I got the letter today, too.  Apparently she is going to continue to live in Bath and go to Woodstock on the weekends........A Head of School only there on the weekends??

I think - and this is my personal opinion - that a Head of School should be ever present on campus and ever available - watching games/patting kids on the back/opening his/her home just to chat....etc. -

Without her presence on the campus 24/7 - these kids will be accountable exclusively to the Deans' Area - and that is a very subjective and arbitrary place...."

That lends credence to the charge of Gauld Family cupidity.  She has the job, but does not have to show up most of the time. Neotism and sinicure are words that come to mind.

Sue Doenym

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »
Nepotism  ... sorry

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »
I don't know if you read the letter wrong, but she's in Woodstock during the week, Mal and Harrison come to Woodstock on the weekends, because he goes to a special school io Bath, then once a onth Laura heads up to Bath to take care of home business..

You folks are mean spirited people.

I hope you sleep well at night.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2006, 03:33:00 PM »
Stu Jones, Beth Denton

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »
Nepotism aside, I always liked Laura.  They could have done worse.[ This Message was edited by: Lars on 2006-04-13 12:41 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2006, 03:58:00 PM »
On 2006-04-13 12:33:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Stu Jones, Beth Denton"

Isn't that illegal in most states?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2006, 04:03:00 PM »
On 2006-04-13 12:27:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I don't know if you read the letter wrong, but she's in Woodstock during the week, Mal and Harrison come to Woodstock on the weekends, because he goes to a special school io Bath, then once a onth Laura heads up to Bath to take care of home business..

I hope you sleep well at night."

Aw come on now. We just havin' a little fun. How many head of school have not been married to a Gauld, a Gauld, or married to a relative of some one that is married to a Gauld.  I can only name one. If it walks like a duck I am I mean to call it a duck?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »
On 2006-04-13 13:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"I don't know if you read the letter wrong, but she's in Woodstock during the week, Mal and Harrison come to Woodstock on the weekends, because he goes to a special school io Bath, then once a onth Laura heads up to Bath to take care of home business..

Aw come on now. We just havin' a little fun. How many head of school have not been married to a Gauld, a Gauld, or married to a relative of some one that is married to a Gauld.  I can only name one. If it walks like a duck I am I mean to call it a duck?

"

Hey, whether Laura Denton Gauld is good or not is not the question.  Why does this school only allow family members to be in a head position?  True that Duncan McCrann was not a family member, but he only lasted a few years after the former headmaster, (a relative through marriage) screwed up and was moved to Bath.

No one is mean spirited, they simply are factual.  Interesting that you think facts equal "mean spirited."  I see nothing but compliments about Laura other than it being odd for a Headmaster to commute.  It does seem odd to me also when in fact a Headmaster does need to be on campus at all times.  You sound like a typical Hydette putting down anyone who says something you don't like about the way Hyde School is run.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2006, 04:24:00 PM »
On 2006-04-13 13:22:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-04-13 13:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

Hey, whether Laura Denton Gauld is good or not is not the question.  Why does this school only allow family members to be in a head position?  True that Duncan McCrann was not a family member, but he only lasted a few years after the former headmaster, (a relative through marriage) screwed up and was moved to Bath.

No one is mean spirited, they simply are factual.  Interesting that you think facts equal "mean spirited."  I see nothing but compliments about Laura other than it being odd for a Headmaster to commute.  It does seem odd to me also when in fact a Headmaster does need to be on campus at all times.  You sound like a typical Hydette putting down anyone who says something you don't like about the way Hyde School is run."

Ok I can only name one: Ed Legg

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2006, 04:26:00 PM »
On 2006-04-13 13:22:00, Anonymous wrote:

Hey, whether Laura Denton Gauld is good or not is not the question.  Why does this school only allow family members to be in a head position?  

It's easier to control the people and information when you create an insular world.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2006, 08:44:00 PM »
On 2006-04-13 12:08:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Laura Gauld is by far the best of the Gauld lot - I got the letter today, too.  Apparently she is going to continue to live in Bath and go to Woodstock on the weekends........A Head of School only there on the weekends??

Without her presence on the campus 24/7 - these kids will be accountable exclusively to the Deans' Area - and that is a very subjective and arbitrary place...."

here you go fresh from the scanner:

HYDE
SCHOOLS
PREPARATION FOR LIFE
HYDE SCHOOLS Bath, ME
New Haven, CT Woodstock, CT Washington, DC
Dear Members and Friends of the Hyde Community,
April 12, 2006
MALCOLM GAULD
PRESIDENT
HYDE WILDERNESS PROGRAM
Eusfis, ME
THE BIGGEST JOBĀ®
The Hyde Board of Governors is pleased to announce the appointment of Laura Denton Gauld '76 as the new Head of School at the Hyde School of Woodstock (CT). Laura will assume the reins of her new role in June 2006.
Born in North Carolina and raised in New England, Laura attended Hyde School, as did her four siblings, graduating with high honors. At Beloit College, she studied early American history. After marrying and returning to New England, she completed her studies at the University of Southern Maine.
During her twenty-five year Hyde tenure, Laura has been a math teacher and chair of the department, coached a variety of sports ranging from varsity women's basketball (a sport she played at Hyde and Beloit) to men's cross-country running, and held several administrative positions, including Dean of Students, Director of Performing Arts, and Director of Family Education.
In 1998, Laura established The Biggest Job program, a parenting workshop that evolved into the book The Biggest Job We'll Ever Have (Scribner, 2002). In recent years, Laura has consulted with schools, businesses, organizations, and communities, reaching thousands of parents with the Hyde message of family-based character education. Her efforts to affect the parenting culture in this country have been recognized through such honors as Maine's Mother of the Year Award (1998) and the 2005 Maine Media Women President's Award.
In anticipation of her move to Woodstock, Laura said, "I am humbled and excited to be given this opportunity to build on the foundation Duncan McCrann and others have laid in Woodstock and to be part of a team that will lead Hyde-Woodstock into its second decade."
Regarding Laura's appointment, Rob Krebs, Chair of the Hyde Board of Governors, said: "Laura personifies the principles of a Hyde character education and has demonstrated over the years her unique ability to instill them in the lives of Hyde students and families."
Laura will move to Woodstock in June in order to fully integrate herself into the daily life of the Summer Challenge program in preparation for the opening of school in September. While our two daughters, Mahalia and Scout, will be enrolled at one of the Hyde boarding schools next year, our son Harrison will remain at the wonderful school he currently attends in Maine. Hence, I plan to live in Bath during the week and travel with Harrison on weekends to Woodstock.
I want to especially thank the Board of Governors for their guidance and leadership in the process that has led to Laura's appointment. Laura intends to be on campus throughout the upcoming Spring Family Weekend (4/20-23) to meet Woodstock parents and students. This spring she will work to assemble a leadership team that will best serve the students and families of HydeWoodstock. Here's to some exciting days ahead for Laura and everyone at Hyde!

Malcolm W. Gauld President
616 High Street ? Bath, ME 04530 ? P: 207.443.7390 ? F: 207.442.9352 ? [email protected]

I agree with one of the posts, Laura probably is the pick of the litter.

Now there is wimmin in charge of Hyde and Hyde lite.  Perhaps there is hope.

sue doenym