Author Topic: Green River Boys Camp KENTUCKY  (Read 13510 times)

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Re: Green River Boys Camp KENTUCKY
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 10:56:12 PM »
Wonder how I missed all this?

One place mentioned, Lincoln Village Treatment Center, is currently being suied and the case is scheduled to  go to trial next month.  Kid was injured while in seclusion (If I recall correctly) and as is so typical, it was ignored.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Lincoln Village Treatment Center
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »
Quote from: "BuzzKill"
One place mentioned, Lincoln Village Treatment Center, is currently being suied and the case is scheduled to  go to trial next month.  Kid was injured while in seclusion (If I recall correctly) and as is so typical, it was ignored.
Any links to pertinent material, news articles?
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
It isn't a warehouse for boys
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 09:38:28 PM »
Back to Green River Boys' Camp... here's another piece that came out shortly after Opening Day. There are even a few pics for this article, clearly a Sunday special:

Daily News · [Bowling Green, Kentucky]
Sunday, February 11, 1973

It isn't a warehouse for boys

By BETTY HIGGINS — Daily News Area Editor
(Staff Photos by Paul Hightower)

MORGANTOWN, Ky. — The doors aren't padlocked. There aren't any bars on the windows. The walls are painted in bright yellow. The furniture appears comfortable.

In fact, the new Green River Boys' camp, officially opened Wednesday, is the opposite of the popular concept of a center for male juvenile offenders. The situation isn't coincidental, however.

The boys camp is structured along lines stressing responsibility, group interaction and interdependency, according to Camp Supt. Michael Yelton. The newest of the State Department of Child Welfare's camps was built to meet these criteria for rehabilitation.

The dormitory-living complex, (below, right) which includes offices and classrooms, can accommodate a maximum of 50 boys. Yelton said the trend toward smaller centers facilitates aiding the boys. The "warehouse" type center, such as Kentucky Village in Lexington which was closed in 1971, is no longer feasible, Yelton commented.

The boys are supervised in classroom, recreational and work pursuits, the superintendent stressed.

At right, a resident helping unload lounge furniture at the camp is silhouetted against a late afternoon sky. Work projects also include kitchen and general maintenance duties, Yelton said.

Staffers also must accompany boys outside the 100 acre camp site, he said. Counseling, too is group-oriented with individual counseling available in some instances.

The group emphasis is carried out in sleeping quarters (below, left) where the idea is not a militarization, Yelton said.

Realistically, there are two detention rooms at the end of the office wing where "boys can have time to think and cool off sometimes," the superintendent explained. Yelton readily admits there probably will be run-aways who might have to spend time in the rooms, but points out in such an open setting, "you always run the risk of kids running off." Boys who leave the camp without authorization are brought back to continue counseling.

There are now nine boys at the camp ranging in age from 13 to 17. Additional residents are expected on a weekly basis as they are referred from diagnostic centers near Louisville and Covington. The boys come from throughout the state and are committed to the department of child welfare by juvenile judges.

Most of the residents at the camp were charged with breaking and entering and auto theft, according to Yelton. He said juveniles with "moderate" problems are handled at the Butler County camp.

The majority of the residents will stay at the camp for three to five months. "We want to keep a child a minimum of time, then get him back out in the community," Yelton said. While a boy is at the camp, a child welfare worker in his hometown is working with the family and keeping in touch with the resident for an effective transition when the boy leaves the camp.

Besides Yelton, who is former superintendent of Barkley Boys Camp in Gilbertsville, staffers include two counselors, Steve Courtney, a graduate of Murray State University, and Phil Bennett, a University of Kentucky graduate. Elmer Westerfield is recreation leader, and Gary Reuff, of Butler County, is secondary teacher at the camp. An elementary teacher will be hired when the camp has more residents.

Part-time chaplain for the boys is Vance Davis, of Louisville. He is at the camp Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

The staff also includes seven group life counselors or "cottage parents," two maintenance employes, three cooks and two clerical employes.

An assistant superintendent will be hired later, Yelton said.

# # #

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Re: Lincoln Village Treatment Center
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 09:58:46 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"

Not that I know of. Reason I know about it is the lawyer for the injured kid has represented my kids and we've talked about it some.  I've told him I'd like to sit in on the trial. If I do, I'll no doubt have a lot more information to share at that time.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
Re: Green River Boys Camp KENTUCKY
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 10:00:33 PM »
Quote from: "Antigen"
Wow! Seven views and no comment? What are you thinking?

Another Program vet on death row.

Kevin began his life of being institutionalized when he was twelve. He, however, was not a hardened criminal. No one wanted him or cared to help him deal with his problems that were created, in large part, by the rejection and sexual abuse he had suffered most of his young life. One foster placement release reports note that "Kevin has not really had a family since he was about eight years old." His mother admitted to social workers that she believed her failure to give Kevin the attention he required had led to her son's delinquent behavior. Just before his sixteenth birthday, Kevin was sent to Green River Boys' Camp, a boot camp for juveniles, which, in 1994-95, was the subject of an expose by the Louisville Courier Journal and a United States Department of Justice investigation which focused on inappropriate treatment methods, including physical and verbal abuse and confrontational therapy. In this broken system, there was only more abuse and no treatment for Kevin.

Full Text: http://www.abanet.org/crimjust/juvjus/stanford.html
Duct tape is like the force; it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
--Jedi Knight school drop out.

Jeesh, I don't know because I'm not a scholar but do ya think being on death row had more to do with his first 12 years of life experience then the treatment he received or lack of.
Like I said I'm just a layman.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Lincoln Village Treatment Center
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 10:21:35 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Not that I know of. Reason I know about it is the lawyer for the injured kid has represented my kids and we've talked about it some.  I've told him I'd like to sit in on the trial. If I do, I'll no doubt have a lot more information to share at that time.
I've started a new thread for this:

Lincoln Village Treatment Center (Kentucky) · viewtopic.php?f=51&t=30817[/list]