Author Topic: Augusta, Gone  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Augusta, Gone
« on: March 19, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »
Augusta, Gone
will be Lifetime cable tv, eastern time:
Sun 3/19 8pm
Thur 3/23 9pm
Sat 3/26 7pm

Anybody see it?  Read the book?  Have feedback/opinion/comment?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Augusta, Gone
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 11:31:00 PM »
My 16 year old saw it and then read the book.  She said the movie was sappy but the book was great.  The photo on the cover looks just like my older child who is 18 and getting ready to graduate from a TBS.  I'm going to read it, too.

Offline Sentinel

• View Profile
Augusta, Gone
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 12:49:00 AM »
from what i just read online, the Lifetime movie sounds bad.  the girl goes to a TBS, and at the end it says shes completly changed and successfully attending college.  Then theres an advertisement thats pro-wilderness camps and TBSchools.  
     im gonna watch just to see how they portray what the school is like.  im betting it'll be nothing close to reality.
its fun to obey the machine\"

Offline EricasMom

• View Profile
Augusta, Gone
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »
I read the book when it first came out and watched the movie --with my teenage daughter-- when it premiered a week or so ago.

The book was good, it was an honest account of the mom's confusion, anger and terror over her daughter's behavior. The movie more or less followed the book in a factual way, but really didn't capture the voice of the mom. Even though Mom spent  vast amounts of money on Wilderness and an EG boarding school, she doesn't credit (or discredit) those things for the happy turn her daughter's life eventually took.

In fact, the daughter never "graduated" from the boarding school, she ran off and spent some time on the streets (Seattle, I think) before coming home, going to an alternative school and getting on with her life.  This was shown in the movie, but I don't think it's a part that will stick in viewers' minds.

Also, in the book and in the movie, Augusta's best friend at the EG school is a young woman who never should have been placed there (she'd been molested by a family friend, and the family just wanted her out of the way).  The girl completes suicide while  in the care and custody of the school, though I think the method differs from the book to the movies.  This incident should be a glaring indictment for the industry, but again, I think the average viewer will think "How sad" and not much else.

To be honest, when I read the book, I didn't know much about the "troubled-parent" industry, even though I was becoming a troubled parent.  I do not remember coming away from the book with any sense of endorsement of the industry by the author.  

As far as the movie, I think just by the fact that it presents the story as "Augusta went bad then Mom did this and this and this and ultimately Augusta got happy and healthy the end" it would leave most viewers with the idea that the this and this and this that Mom did must have made Augusta well, because otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.

Those of us who know better should watch it so that if any of our friends a relatives see it we can explain what really happened to Augusta--she grew up.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Augusta, Gone
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 10:37:00 PM »
Augusta's best friend at the EG school is a young woman who never should have been placed there (she'd been molested by a family friend, and the family just wanted her out of the way).

Welcome to the world of WWASPS. Then they would have stood her up and publically humiliated her in seminars for "letting herself be molested".