Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Hyde Schools

Hyde School, Bath, Maine, Admissions

(1/5) > >>

Anonymous:
Would anyone be willing to share admissions interview experiences at Hyde? In my interview,  the approach was to break me down, try to make me cry, show me how weak I was and then tell me how I needed Hyde to build me back up.

I would like to know other people who went to Hyde or sent their children to Hyde feel about their interviews.

Anonymous:

--- Quote ---On 2006-03-16 04:32:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Would anyone be willing to share admissions interview experiences at Hyde? In my interview,  the approach was to break me down, try to make me cry, show me how weak I was and then tell me how I needed Hyde to build me back up.

I would like to know other people who went to Hyde or sent their children to Hyde feel about their interviews."

--- End quote ---

Wow, I can't believe your experience was exactly like ours.  The interviewer pushed and pushed my daughter and kept pushing, till she could get her to cry.  Looking back now I see how cruel it was and how this did absolutely no good, but at the time they make you feel like there is something much more wrong with your family then there is so you kind of fall into the trap.  In our case our daughter was not a truant, drug addict, or out of control in anyway.  She simply needed to feel good about herself so she would be more motivated.  I feel so ashamed now that I put her in a place that did the exact opposite.  She should have been built up, not put down like she was.  She was made to feel even worse about herself then before she enrolled.

Thanks for bringing this up. Makes me feel a little better that we were not the only ones to have fallen for Hyde's abusive tactics.

Anonymous:

--- Quote ---On 2006-03-16 04:32:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Would anyone be willing to share admissions interview experiences at Hyde? In my interview,  the approach was to break me down, try to make me cry, show me how weak I was and then tell me how I needed Hyde to build me back up.

I would like to know other people who went to Hyde or sent their children to Hyde feel about their interviews."

--- End quote ---

Gee, until you asked I hadn't thought about our interview for years.  It was quite an experience, especially for my wife.  Frankly, she was far more perceptive about Hyde than I was.  I'm embarrassed to say that I was seduced by the Hyde rhetoric and slick PR.  The person who interviewed us fed us the now familiar Hyde lingo, but at the time I didn't know enough to realize that it was the Hyde script that everyone there uses.  My wife smelled a rat immediately, but went along with my wish to enroll our kid.  I have to admit that my wife's assessment of Hyde was right on the money; unfortunately it took me several months to realize she was right about the Hyde pollution.  In the admissions interview the guy we met with (who, it turns out, has zero background as an educator and was a business man and father of a Hyde kid) was patronizing, provocative, and preachy.  He went after my wife very aggressively and lectured her about how she was enabling our kid's behavior.  Just thinking about how incompetent that man was, and how judgmental he was, makes my blood boil.  Only later did I realize that he was like a Joe Gauld twin.  Well, I've learned my lesson.  Hyde has taught me a lot -- especially about what to avoid in a school.  Anyone who interviews with Hyde should insist on talking to randomly selected students, not the ones the school picks.  They should sit in on a seminar to see how some of the staff (mis)treat parents and students.  People need to know what they're in for before signing on.  I sure wish I had known.

Anonymous:
When I interviewed the two guys that had me had to take a break beacuse I got to one of them.  They had to bring in a replacement. I ended the interview dry eyed. I told them to fuck off and hitch hiked down route one to Boston. I ended up spending one of the greatest summers and a couple of the most challenging years of my life at hyde. I would not trade them for all the tea in china.

Anonymous:
Why does a school like Hyde continue to exist? How is it able to  keep attracting new students? And getting new people to buy into the concept?

What happened in that admissions interview that hooked us all on Hyde, for better or for worse?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version