Author Topic: Stuff you've been listening to  (Read 843038 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Stuff you've been listening to
« Reply #1005 on: September 15, 2006, 03:55:10 PM »
sounds like you made a good score on the LPs.

Been listening to Mr. Bungle--California and Television--Marquee Moon today.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: September 15, 2006, 10:33:24 PM »
Yeah, seems like it.  I got drunk on Pina Coladas last night, celebrating Steve Mathew's birthday.  He would 'a' been 39!  Near the end of the night I pulled what I thought was a Fleetwood Mac record out of its cover and threw it on the turntable.  A little while later I realized to my surprise that I was actually listening to Neil Young.  This morning after I had given myself some time to recover I checked the record label and I'll be a monkeys uncle if it didn't read:

"Reprise Records
American Stars and Bars
Neil Young, Crazy Horse and the Bulletts
April 1977"

I aint never heard of this record, has any one else ??

Also I was in a conversation the other day and some friends and I were trying to understand how sound is recorded on vinyl or how sound is recorded at all for that matter.  Can anyone explain this mystery ??  I mean how does the distinct sound of a persons voice come through a phone wire ??
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: September 15, 2006, 11:07:00 PM »
Yeah, I've heard that Neil Young record.  It came out after Rust Never Sleeps but before Reactor, I believe,  around the time of Hawks and Doves.  If you ever find a copy of Reactor, pick it up, it's one of his best records with Crazy Horse.  What I thought was a little disturbing to my anti-NA mind, however, was that he has the words to the Serenity Prayer printed on the back cover, in Latin.  Hmmmm.   Still, it is a great rockin' Neil Young album, with a couple of my favortie songs by him, "Opera Star" and "Surfer Joe and Moe the Sleaze".  Rockin' good stuff.

I have kind of an understanding of the process, but I think I'll make sure by doing a little internet research on this one, you've piqued my curiousity.  For now, I'll just say it's magical machine elves in a hyperdimensional space that do it, and leave it at that.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: September 15, 2006, 11:08:29 PM »
My bad, if it was '77, it came out before "Rust Never Sleeps"......

Offline teachback

• View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: September 16, 2006, 12:24:03 AM »
Quote from: ""starry-eyed pirate""
Yeah, seems like it.  I got drunk on Pina Coladas last night, celebrating Steve Mathew's birthday.  He would 'a' been 39!  Near the end of the night I pulled what I thought was a Fleetwood Mac record out of its cover and threw it on the turntable.  A little while later I realized to my surprise that I was actually listening to Neil Young.  This morning after I had given myself some time to recover I checked the record label and I'll be a monkeys uncle if it didn't read:

"Reprise Records
American Stars and Bars
Neil Young, Crazy Horse and the Bulletts
April 1977"

I aint never heard of this record, has any one else ??

Also I was in a conversation the other day and some friends and I were trying to understand how sound is recorded on vinyl or how sound is recorded at all for that matter.  Can anyone explain this mystery ??  I mean how does the distinct sound of a persons voice come through a phone wire ??
I don't know if I've heard that one or not; I know I've seen the cover of it. Reactor is a great one, though...there are a lot of good songs on that! I really like the repetitive cool-ass riff on "T-Bone"! Also, "Southern Pacific" is the best 'train song' ever written?

As far as the analog sound thing, I'll refer you to something I posted from another thread not too long ago:

Quote from: ""Frank Discussion""
Absolutely! Analog is a superior medium. Analog recording is a linear representation of a linear waveform, and therefore more accurate. The shape of the waveforms appear "warmer", "smoother" more "three dimensional". There's a lower distortion rate for low signal levels.. Also it's not not subject to jitter as is the case with optical media. On the downside, analog is subject to electrical and mechanical hiss and noise. This of course can be filtered out via software for the anally-retentive.

Hope that helps a little..

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: September 16, 2006, 03:10:42 AM »
Yeah. Thanks Frank.  I've always wondered, and that recent post of yours got me thinkin' again.  The question of how sound is recorded has been comin' up in conversation quite a bit as of late.  I sort 'a' think I have a little bit of a better understanding of how digital recording works, what with the binary code 'n' all, although that is baffling in other ways...

But how is it that when you put a needle down in a record groove it produces music ???  I mean even if you don't amp the sound you can still here the music comin' right off the vinyl.  There must be some sort of a code involved, right ??  I mean obviously there is a code.  But there's nothing to read a code.  No computer.  I don't know...

Maybe RTP will shed more light...no pressure though... :lol:
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline teachback

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: September 16, 2006, 10:27:57 AM »
Yeah. Thanks Frank.  I've always wondered, and that recent post of yours got me thinkin' again.  The question of how sound is recorded has been comin' up in conversation quite a bit as of late.  I sort 'a' think I have a little bit of a better understanding of how digital recording works, what with the binary code 'n' all, although that is baffling in other ways...

But how is it that when you put a needle down in a record groove it produces music ???  I mean even if you don't amp the sound you can still here the music comin' right off the vinyl.  There must be some sort of a code involved, right ??  I mean obviously there is a code.  But there's nothing to read a code.  No computer.  I don't know...

Maybe RTP will shed more light...no pressure though... :lol:

Well let's forget about digital for a little bit and discuss the groove..

The groove is etched (actually pressed, but whatever; the result is the same) into the vinyl..

Thomas Edison is credited with creating the first device for recording and playing back sounds in 1877. His approach used a very simple mechanism to store an analog wave mechanically. In Edison's original phonograph, a diaphragm directly controlled a needle, and the needle scratched an analog signal onto a tinfoil cylinder. You spoke into Edison's device while rotating the cylinder, and the needle "recorded" what you said onto the tin. That is, as the diaphragm vibrated, so did the needle, and those vibrations impressed themselves onto the tin. To play the sound back, the needle moved over the groove scratched during recording. During playback, the vibrations pressed into the tin caused the needle to vibrate, causing the diaphragm to vibrate and play the sound.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: September 16, 2006, 11:26:53 AM »
Miles Davis - On The Corner
Thelonious Monk - Straight, No Chaser
Carly Simon
John Lennon
Heart

• View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: September 16, 2006, 11:42:57 AM »
That's quite interesting.  Thanks Frank.  You're pretty darn good at wording the abstract.  I'm still not sure how it works but you've given me some things to consider.  Farr-out.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: September 17, 2006, 11:11:57 AM »
But how is it that when you put a needle down in a record groove it produces music ??? :

It's hyperdimensional machine elves, I tell ya!

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
pirate :-)
« Reply #1015 on: September 17, 2006, 03:15:34 PM »
That's quite interesting.  Thanks Frank.  You're pretty darn good at wording the abstract.  I'm still not sure how it works but you've given me some things to consider.  Farr-out.

"A vinyl record has a groove carved into it that mirrors the original sound's waveform. This means that no information is lost. The output of a record player is analog. It can be fed directly to your amplifier with no conversion."

so basically the groove is an exact replica of the sound wave something that is far more accurate via analog then digital there will be truer to the original

check this puppy out on the how stuff works site
http://http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/analog-digital.htm

another good one
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record#History
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: September 18, 2006, 01:30:11 PM »
Tomahawk--Mit Gas

Tosca--Opera

Nirvana--In Utero

Mr. Bungle--California

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: September 19, 2006, 06:49:24 PM »
Peeping Tom--"Mojo", "Sucker",  "How You Feeling?", "Your Neighborhood Spaceman"

Melvins--"Green Manalishi (w/ the Two-Pronged Crown)" (cover of an old Peter green-era Fleetwood Mac song, also done to killer effect by Judas Priest on Hell Bent For LEather

Bad Brainds--"I Against I", "Hired Gun"

Hawkwind--"Silver Machine". "Space Is Deep"

Bongwater--"He Loved The Weather", "The Living End"

Dwarves--Horror Stories

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: September 19, 2006, 06:52:22 PM »
Led Zeppelin - "The Song Remains The Same"

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: September 19, 2006, 08:50:01 PM »
I went to see Built to Spill last night.  8)
[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]