Author Topic: Stuff you've been listening to  (Read 838162 times)

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
Stuff you've been listening to
« Reply #2520 on: October 29, 2007, 01:18:33 AM »
The Black Angels--Agora Ballroom, Cleveland, 11-17-06

01. Young Men Dead
02. Better Off Alone
03. The Sniper At The Gates Of Heaven
04. The Prodigal Sun
05. Ronettes
06. Black Grease
07. Vikings And Furrs
08. The First Vietnamese War
09. You In Color
10. All Tomorrow's Parties

Wicked hot show.........download it free at archive.org
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
RTP2003 fought in defense of the Old Republic

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #2521 on: October 29, 2007, 09:07:03 AM »
Quote from: ""RTPChristSupertzar""
Pretty Things--S.F. Sorrow (Thanks for the recomendation, ZA, I really like this one)

Herman Brood & His Wild Romance--"Saturday Night"

Mogwai--"Mogwai Fear Satan"

The Who--"Tattoo"

S.F. Sorrow is a classic.  It's a lot darker than Tommy or Arthur.  "Baron Saturday" is a fucked up song, for some reason it gives me the creeps, but I play it over and over.

"Tattoo" is one of my all-time favorites,  that song got me a wife.  Shortly after my wife-to-be and I started dating, I was sitting in her kitchen with my acoustic and started playing "Tattoo", figuring  it was obscure but a great piece of music..  After a few bars, my then-girlfriend turned around and asked "Are you playing "Tattoo"?  I love that song".  Then I knew she was THE ONE, how can you not love a woman well-versed in The Who Sell Out?
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: October 29, 2007, 01:40:39 PM »
Hanging in the hospital, chowing down oxycodone, getting shot up with morphine and vancomycin, and going outside to smoke WEED and tobacco.  A friend lent me his laptop to keep me from going stir-crazy.  Don't get bit by brown recluse spiders, kids, and if ya do, try to find one that ain't gonna infect you with MRSA.

That's some messed up stuff there:  
Get Well Soon :wink:
Keep on rockin'
Of all the things I\'ve ever lost, I miss my mind the most.
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: October 29, 2007, 02:12:36 PM »
Quote from: ""3xsaSeedling""
Hanging in the hospital, chowing down oxycodone, getting shot up with morphine and vancomycin, and going outside to smoke WEED and tobacco.  A friend lent me his laptop to keep me from going stir-crazy.  Don't get bit by brown recluse spiders, kids, and if ya do, try to find one that ain't gonna infect you with MRSA.
That's some messed up stuff there:  
Get Well Soon :wink:
Keep on rockin'

Thanks, buddy.  It means a lot.  It's starting to get pretty depresing being here, in spite of the drugs and the laptop my friend let me use.  The doctor said I may be able to go home (wherever that is.......long story) tomarrow, but won't promise anything.  Anyway, thanks for the get well wishes, I'm doing what I can, trying not to get too depressed or stir crazy.   I need some more pot, though.  And some friends that will actually come visit when they say they will. The roommate's on crack, so I don't expect him to show up when he says he will, I understand that smoking that shit is more important to him than anything else, but most of my other friends have kinda let me down.   Time for apin meds and physical therapy on the hand......gotta go.  Thanks again.

RTP2k3/Xsupertzar

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: October 29, 2007, 02:20:09 PM »
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""

"Tattoo" is one of my all-time favorites,  that song got me a wife.  Shortly after my wife-to-be and I started dating, I was sitting in her kitchen with my acoustic and started playing "Tattoo", figuring  it was obscure but a great piece of music..  After a few bars, my then-girlfriend turned around and asked "Are you playing "Tattoo"?  I love that song".  Then I knew she was THE ONE, how can you not love a woman well-versed in The Who Sell Out?

Cool femmes that like the same obscure music you do are priceless, or at least they can be.......I dated one g/f for way longer than I should have 'cause she knew the words to "Godstar" by Psychic TV, she sang along to it when I played the tape in my car stereo.  That scored big points, the fact that she even knew who Brian Jones (the subject of the song) was.  She's probably nowhere near as cool as Mrs. ZenAgent, though.  We broke up on Valentine's Day (also the anniversary of my previous g/f getting an abortion---I gave her this cool metal rose with a stem and thorns made of barbed wire.  It seemed weirdly appropriate).

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: October 30, 2007, 09:59:19 PM »
The Who - "Tattoo"

Beethoven: Ninth Symphony (Phil. Orch.)

Hüsker Dü - Zen Arcade

Band of Horses - "Is There a Ghost?"    
Tom Waits - "Rain Dogs"
Psapp - "History Never Repeats"
The Cars - "Since You're Gone"
Joe Jackson - "On Your Radio"
Plug In City - "Broke On A Wheel"

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: October 31, 2007, 12:04:49 AM »
T Rex - Jeepster

Tommy

haven't decided what's next yet

:smokin:
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: October 31, 2007, 12:45:44 PM »
Creedence Clearwater Revival - "I put a Spell on You"

Sonic Youth - "Halloween"

Phil Lesh & Friends...Perpetual Groove.. and other good stuff on 89.7 WTMD

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: October 31, 2007, 09:57:07 PM »
Blue Oyster Cult - "Harvester of Eyes", "Flaming Telepaths" (v)

Spoon - "The Ghost of You Lingers"

Tori Amos - "Happy Phantom"

Soulsavers - "Revival"   

Arcade Fire - "Black Mirror"

Iron & Wine - "The Devil Never Sleeps"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: November 03, 2007, 06:59:54 AM »
Husker Du - Zen Arcade

AC/DC - "Soul Stripper"

Sonny Rollins - "G-Man"

The Black Angels - Passover

Bob Mould - "Chartered Trips"

My friend's Vox AC15 guitar amp

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: November 03, 2007, 01:01:01 PM »
Led Zeppelin - BBC Sessions/1997
10,000 Maniacs - Unplugged
Mighty Joe Young - Blusey Josephine
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Blues @ Sunrisesweeeeeeet
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Albert Cummings - Working Man
Talking Heads - Sand in the Vaseline
Muddy Waters - Windy City Blues
Grand Funk Railroad - 30 Years of Funk 1969-1999
Rolling Stones - Singles Collection - The London Years (Box Set)

and one time...AMERICAN WOMAN - The GUESSWHO

Okay:  do I have to break down and listen to Zen Arcade?[/i]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 05:38:38 PM by Guest »
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: November 03, 2007, 01:59:29 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Husker Du - Zen Arcade

AC/DC - "Soul Stripper"

Sonny Rollins - "G-Man"

The Black Angels - Passover

Bob Mould - "Chartered Trips"

My friend's Vox AC15 guitar amp

There's a fine mix for a Saturday.  The Black Angels are playing in Knoxville tonight at Barley's Taproom, maybe Ms. Zen and I should go.  Where is the Bob Mould version of "Chartered Trips" from?  

A Vox AC15...sweet.  The closest I've got is a Vox Pathfinder practice amp, and the modeling on my Pod.

Nick Cave - The Boatman's Call
Twilight Singers - Powder Burns
Afghan Whigs - Boot from Stockholm, Sweden, during the Black Love tour.
Grant Hart - Good News For Modern Man
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: November 03, 2007, 05:57:23 PM »
Where is the Bob Mould version of "Chartered Trips" from?
Some live dvd that my friend has.  

A Vox AC15...sweet.  The closest I've got is a Vox Pathfinder practice amp, and the modeling on my Pod.
The thing sounds fucking beautiful! It really puts out! What got me is he then decided to turn it off and play through his Ashdown that he always plays through..whatever... next time, I'll see to it that at least ONE of us plays through that thing....preferably me!! :rofl:

Nick Cave - The Boatman's Call
Twilight Singers - Powder Burns
Afghan Whigs - Boot from Stockholm, Sweden, during the Black Love tour.
Grant Hart - Good News For Modern Man

I'm a Nick Cave / Birthday Party fan for 20-some years now... of a lot of the records, anyway...(an old friend of mine, now dead, claimed to have punched out Nick Cave at one of his own gigs..Nick had said something to him that ticked him off at the time...gotta love Charm City.) I like everything I've heard (admittedly not all that much) by The Afghan Whigs. I've heard of the Twilight Singers and Grant Hart.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: November 03, 2007, 08:23:51 PM »
Quote from: ""Froderik""
I like everything I've heard (admittedly not all that much) by The Afghan Whigs. I've heard of the Twilight Singers and Grant Hart.

Yeah, Grant Hart's the less prolific of the two Husker Du songwriters, but his work is great.  He would really profit from having a producer, instead of doing it himself.  Grant needs an editor.

Twilight Singers are Greg Dulli's post-Afghan Whigs project, and they're great.  I hired a new tech last week from Cincinnati, and I mentioned I was listening to the Whigs from Cincinnati.  His eyes popped open, and he said they were his favorite band, and he went to school with Greg Dulli.  This guy's brother also filmed Twilight Singers - Bootleg, surreptitiously.  The Twilight Singer's manager saw it on the net and thought it was so good he bought the rights and released it commercially.  

Work's been cool lately, with my new tech and I trading bootleg shows and videos and engaging in fanboy discussion of Afghans minutiae, happy to find kindred fans of a much underrated and ignored group.  Bit of unknown and embarrassing trivia about Greg Dulli for other fans - when he was in high school, he fronted a Lynyrd Skynyrd/Southern Rock tribute band.  Ain't it awful when guys you went to high school with expose your youthful folly.

Man, I've got a '51 Fender Deluxe amp that I saved from being thrown in the trash - my wife and I were organizing an older guy's warehouse, and he said there was an amp somewhere, it didn't work as far as he knew.  I found it - it was dust-covered, black, and I saw the chicken beak knobs and thought "Whaaa?", wiped away the dust and saw Fender on the top.  The guy's kid had spray painted the amp black over the Tolex to make it look like one of the newer '60's Fender amps.  My wife found a metal plate under a box, and it was the missing nameplate fromthe front of the amp - "Fender, made in Fullerton California".  

It's a motherfucker, once the tubes warm up. Scotty Moore used the same model to record "Hound Dog" with Elvis.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: November 03, 2007, 09:27:42 PM »
Man, I've got a '51 Fender Deluxe amp that I saved from being thrown in the trash - my wife and I were organizing an older guy's warehouse, and he said there was an amp somewhere, it didn't work as far as he knew.  I found it - it was dust-covered, black, and I saw the chicken beak knobs and thought "Whaaa?", wiped away the dust and saw Fender on the top.  The guy's kid had spray painted the amp black over the Tolex to make it look like one of the newer '60's Fender amps.  My wife found a metal plate under a box, and it was the missing nameplate fromthe front of the amp - "Fender, made in Fullerton California".  

It's a motherfucker, once the tubes warm up. Scotty Moore used the same model to record "Hound Dog" with Elvis.

No shit? I didn't know that! Anyway, I seem to recall reading some article where Neil Young talks about playing through a Deluxe....

Is yours 12 watts? Just curious..this guy, the guy who has the AC15, also has an old 12 watt Gretsch amp. It's sweet, too.. sounds just like early Zeppelin... especially when you play the songs..haha.