Author Topic: damaged beyond repair  (Read 4674 times)

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
damaged beyond repair
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 09:42:00 AM »
The idea of powerlessness is tricky - as I have pointed out in previous posts, this came from some evangelical christian group thinking of yielding one's will completely to God - so in the group we were supposed to yield completely to the Group. Danger, Will Robinson! (dating myself) It is very, very interesting to read about the Oxford Group and early AA, but I don't know how much interest you all have in that.

But - I have seen family members who WERE compulsive about alcohol, one in particular, with hospitalizations, involuntary commitments, bankrupcy, foreclosure, etc. Very scary...she's fine (for now). The concept of powerlessness seems to describe this experience - but not mine.

I choose to be as powerful as I can. I have worked very hard to take up my power.

When I was in 12 step groups (al anon, ACOA, etc.) people would revel in their powerlessness over drugs, sex, food, work - even over 12 stepping! That is not for me...although, again, I have other family members who swear by it, but I would guess that it is more complicated now for them than just the dogma of powerlessness and higher powers and all of that.

From my point of view at the moment - stable life, happy, married, etc. - things are pretty good. But I do remember what it was like to be lost and lonely and desperate and feeling very powerless, and there was some comfort in embracing the concept but I like to think that I have emerged.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
ally Gator

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
damaged beyond repair
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »
Do your family members now view you as well adjusted?

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
damaged beyond repair
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »
Yes - they do. I suppose I have always been the diplomat of the family, too, so I have been good at keeping relationships going in spite of differences. Why do you ask?
ally Gator

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
damaged beyond repair
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »
I was curious as to how finatical there involvement was in AA ect.

Offline NOT12NOW

• View Profile
damaged beyond repair
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »
I just wanted to let everyone know that I have been reading and thinking about your responses to my post.  I've tried several times to write a thoughtful follow up but have been unable to finish, still chewing I guess.  

I'll chime in when my thoughts become coherent till then reading about everyone else's experiences and beliefs is helpful.
leveland chick 76-77