Author Topic: Lawsuits and complaints against Hyde School?  (Read 18653 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Lawsuits and complaints against Hyde School?
« on: January 18, 2006, 09:37:00 AM »
I am gathering information on lawsuits or formal complaints that have been filed against the Hyde School.  I would also like to know about any lawsuits or complaints that are currently pending.  Please post any information you have about past or pending cases.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 10:44:00 AM »
On 2006-01-18 06:37:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I am gathering information on lawsuits or formal complaints that have been filed against the Hyde School.  I would also like to know about any lawsuits or complaints that are currently pending.  Please post any information you have about past or pending cases.  Thank you."

What are you gathering this information for?  If it is for your own lawsuit, your attorney will be able to investigate previous lawsuits.  If the case went all the way through to the end stage, there would be record. I don't however whether "settled" lawsuits would be accesible to the public and I don't know if Hyde would be obligated to divulge it in deposition.  Maybe Lars knows the answer to this.

If you read through all these posts you will read about one particular lawsuit which was against the school for sexual inappropriateness by one of their faculty against a female student.  Other than that one, I have not read about others thus far, but I am sure there have been some others leveled against a school like this who does not follow the same guidelines as public schools and abuses it's role.

There is a big campaign right now about making these kinds of schools accountable and putting in place more rules and regulations so they can't get away with what they do.  If I find the website with the information I will pass it along.  It might be somewhere on Fornits.  Ginger can answer that one for us!

Hope this helps.  Another suggestion I have is to post a private email address for those wishing to respond to you.  Don't forget Hyde does have their ways of making a kid pay for talking against them

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »
The lawsuit referred to in this last post regarding inappropriate sexual behavior was thrown out of court and the civil case was settled by the insurance company

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »
On 2006-01-18 08:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The lawsuit referred to in this last post regarding inappropriate sexual behavior was thrown out of court and the civil case was settled by the insurance company"

What was "thrown out of court."  We heard it was a civil case and was settled after jury selection!  There was never any mention of anything being "thrown out of court, but maybe you have more first hand knowledge?  Did the judge actually throw the lawsuit out of court?  Your inference is that maybe it was criminal and then became civil?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »
On 2006-01-18 07:44:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"I am gathering information on lawsuits or formal complaints that have been filed against the Hyde School.  I would also like to know about any lawsuits or complaints that are currently pending.  Please post any information you have about past or pending cases.  Thank you."

What are you gathering this information for?  If it is for your own lawsuit, your attorney will be able to investigate previous lawsuits.  If the case went all the way through to the end stage, there would be record. I don't however whether "settled" lawsuits would be accesible to the public and I don't know if Hyde would be obligated to divulge it in deposition.  Maybe Lars knows the answer to this.

If you read through all these posts you will read about one particular lawsuit which was against the school for sexual inappropriateness by one of their faculty against a female student.  Other than that one, I have not read about others thus far, but I am sure there have been some others leveled against a school like this who does not follow the same guidelines as public schools and abuses it's role.

There is a big campaign right now about making these kinds of schools accountable and putting in place more rules and regulations so they can't get away with what they do.  If I find the website with the information I will pass it along.  It might be somewhere on Fornits.  Ginger can answer that one for us!

Hope this helps.  Another suggestion I have is to post a private email address for those wishing to respond to you.  Don't forget Hyde does have their ways of making a kid pay for talking against them"

To answer your question, I am conducting research on boarding schools that accept a high percentage of students who have struggled in more traditional settings AND who have significant mental health histories, diagnoses, and issues.  My focus is on schools that accept large numbers/percentages of these students without having any formal mental health services, staff, or program to address their mental health needs.  

My impression is that the Hyde School falls into this category. The school's website indicates that many of their students fit this profile.  As far as I can tell, the school does not employ mental health professionals or directly address these mental health issues (beyond agreeing to transport  students to local counselors in the community).  I am trying to find public information about problems that Hyde students who have mental health challenges may have encountered at the school which led to mental health crises, major behavioral problems, expulsion, suspension, running away, or parents' decisions to withdraw the student.  In some cases around the U.S. these circumstances have led to lawsuits and other formal complaints.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 06:58:00 PM »
On 2006-01-18 08:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The lawsuit referred to in this last post regarding inappropriate sexual behavior was thrown out of court and the civil case was settled by the insurance company"

Are you certain this case (involving charges that a Hyde teacher sexually harassed a student) was "thrown out"?  What's more likely is that the case was "dismissed" after the parties agreed to settle.  That's very different from the case being thrown out.  Does anyone know what actually happened here?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 07:04:00 PM »
It was thrown out because it was BULLSHIT. Got it now?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »
On 2006-01-18 16:04:00, Anonymous wrote:

"It was thrown out because it was BULLSHIT. Got it now?"

On what are you basing your conclusion that the case was thrown out?  Is this your opinion or fact?  If it's fact, how do you know this?  Are you saying no money changed hands to settle the case?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 09:21:00 PM »

I believe complaints against Hyde School also have been filed with the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.  There are several comments to that effect on this website.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 04:23:00 PM »

"

Hope this helps.  Another suggestion I have is to post a private email address for those wishing to respond to you.  Don't forget Hyde does have their ways of making a kid pay for talking against them"

I don't know all the details, but there's a major research project at some Florida university that's examining unlicensed and unregulated schools that accept students whose needs they may not be, or are not, able to meet.  My impression is that this research project is trying to identify schools and programs that are abusive and/or accept large numbers of students with psychiatric needs without having the staff or program to help them (the latter seems especially close to Hyde's profile).  I'll see if I can find that website.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »
On 2006-01-19 13:23:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

I don't know all the details, but there's a major research project at some Florida university that's examining unlicensed and unregulated schools that accept students whose needs they may not be, or are not, able to meet.  My impression is that this research project is trying to identify schools and programs that are abusive and/or accept large numbers of students with psychiatric needs without having the staff or program to help them (the latter seems especially close to Hyde's profile).  I'll see if I can find that website."

Here is the project in Florida that is taking a hard look at boarding schools that accept kids with significant mental health needs but don't have the staff, resources, or inclination to address the kids' mental health needs.  An example is a school that approaches students' behavioral issues entirely as attitude and character issues without addressing the mental health issues as a critically important part of the package. The Hyde School seems to be a prime example of the kind of school that this project seeks to highlight and challenge: http://cfs.fmhi.usf.edu/projects/ASTART.htm

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 02:34:00 PM »
On 2006-01-20 11:32:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

"

I don't know all the details, but there's a major research project at some Florida university that's examining unlicensed and unregulated schools that accept students whose needs they may not be, or are not, able to meet.  My impression is that this research project is trying to identify schools and programs that are abusive and/or accept large numbers of students with psychiatric needs without having the staff or program to help them (the latter seems especially close to Hyde's profile).  I'll see if I can find that website."

Here is the project in Florida that is taking a hard look at boarding schools that accept kids with significant mental health needs but don't have the staff, resources, or inclination to address the kids' mental health needs.  An example is a school that approaches students' behavioral issues entirely as attitude and character issues without addressing the mental health issues as a critically important part of the package. The Hyde School seems to be a prime example of the kind of school that this project seeks to highlight and challenge: http://cfs.fmhi.usf.edu/projects/ASTART.htm  "

Here's some useful information: http://cfs.fmhi.usf.edu/projects/AStart ... tsheet.pdf

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 05:51:00 PM »
On 2006-01-20 11:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-01-20 11:32:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

"

Here is the project in Florida that is taking a hard look at boarding schools that accept kids with significant mental health needs but don't have the staff, resources, or inclination to address the kids' mental health needs.  An example is a school that approaches students' behavioral issues entirely as attitude and character issues without addressing the mental health issues as a critically important part of the package. The Hyde School seems to be a prime example of the kind of school that this project seeks to highlight and challenge: http://cfs.fmhi.usf.edu/projects/ASTART.htm  "

Here's some useful information: http://cfs.fmhi.usf.edu/projects/AStart ... tsheet.pdf"

I just checked out this website.  It's great.  It's so good to know that people are taking a real close look at schools like Hyde that admit all these kids with psychiatric histories but don't have the staff or services to care for them.  I know from personal experience that LOTS of kids at Hyde have problems there because of their mental health problems.  Hyde does such a horrible job with students who have problems with its rules because of their mental health problems.  When I was there all Hyde did was hand out medication.  They have no clue, it seems, that lots of kids act up and get in trouble because they're really depressed, bipolar or have some other major problem.  Of course at Hyde these can only be viewed as character and attitude problems.  Unbelievable.

All these different efforts are really getting the word out about the problems at Hyde and other schools like it.  Keep it up!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 11:11:00 AM »
I would love to hear the outcome of this as our son falls into the very group you are talking about, and has just been asked to leave the school.  They gave up on him awfully quickly despite the fact that he does not lie, cheat, steal, engage in sexual activity, or use drugs, alcohol, or tobacco - as most of the students there do - and was doing well academically.  The school knew before admitting him that he had a temper control problem, and I'm sure I was quite specific as to the nature of his verbal outburts.  To my knowledge, he has had 3 such episodes since November - really very few considering how difficult it is to be new to the Hyde "process" and in my mind, reflected progress!  I had also seen progress in other areas with him and had come around to embrace and trust the school's philosophy - despite the odd scene I witnessed with Joe Gauld being rude and condescending to parents who dared question him during an FLC weekend.
Now we are out $35,000, not to mention all the time and money spent going to and fro to school and regional meetings, and looking at our son's sophomore year going down the drain.  How ironic that the small Catholic high school he WAS attending seemed so much more compassionate and equipped and willinig to work with him!  Sad .....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »
Kids are only asked to leave Hyde if they are a threat to the community.  It's sounds like your kid's outbursts don't fit in to the program, disrupting it and making it hard for Hyde to work for the other kids.  
Does he/she have to leave right away or are they just not accepting him/her for next year...
If it's the latter you're not "Out $35K", you paid for the school year and that's what you got.
Hopefully as a family, there was some positive movement, if not, it ain't just your kid's fault for getting the hook!