Author Topic: Teen?s death prompts calls to shut boot camp  (Read 14521 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Teen?s death prompts calls to shut boot camp
« on: January 11, 2006, 04:54:00 PM »
Boy?s family says he was abused; program has 62 percent recidivism rate

Updated: 12:05 p.m. ET Jan. 11, 2006
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - A Florida legislator is calling on the state to close its military-style boot camps for juvenile delinquents after a 14-year-old boy died just hours after entering one of the facilities.

?These programs are not working ... this shock-and-awe mentality on a kid,? said state Rep. Gustavo ?Gus? Barreiro, chairman of the House Criminal Justice Appropriations Committee. ?We need to shut these things down.?

Gov. Jeb Bush also believes lawmakers should take a hard look at the juvenile facilities. Asked about the boot camps Wednesday, Bush said: ?All of our programs ought to be under review.?

?We still have questions, questions on the autopsy and questions on the procedures,? Bush said.

The Department of Juvenile Justice is reviewing all sheriff?s office policies for the camps in light of last week?s death of Martin Lee Anderson, said spokeswoman Cynthia Lorenzo.

Anderson was sent to the Bay County Sheriff?s Office camp because of an arrest for grand theft.

He had to be restrained when he became uncooperative following exercises as part of the entry process at the Panama City camp, authorities said. He soon complained of breathing difficulties and collapsed. He died the next day a Pensacola hospital.

The family?s attorney says the boy was abused and has filed an intent to sue.

?There?s a lot that just doesn?t add up,? attorney Ben Crump said. He said the youngster had a cut lip, bloody nose and an abrasion on the side of his face.

The victim?s mother, Gina Jones, said her son was in good physical shape. He stood about 6-foot-1 and weighed about 140 pounds, she said.

Sheriff?s investigators have not completed a preliminary report on the youngster?s death, but a Bay County sheriff?s spokeswoman denied that Anderson was abused. The state gave the camp a good review in a June 2004 quality assurance report.

The state Department of Juvenile Justice?s records show that 62 percent of graduates from the several camps around the state are re-arrested after release. The camps are run by county sheriff?s offices under contract from the state.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10750051/GT1=7538

(there's a poll there, too!)

Truth in matters of religion is simply the opinion that has survived.
--Oscar Wilde

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »
http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2006 ... 38629.html

Boot camp controversy
Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Polk County Juvenile Boot Camp recently received high honors from the Department of Juvenile Justice.

Sheriff Grady Judd is proud of that.

"In fact, we received the highest rating possible," Judd said. "Our boot camp does a great job. And our recidivism rate is about 46 percent."

Judd disagrees with the state lawmaker who wants to shut down the entire boot camp system after the death of a 14-year-old boy at a Panama City camp.

"They try to shock and awe a kid," said Gus Barreiro, who chairs the House Criminal Justice Appropriations Committee. "It's really just basically trying to make a kid do things through intimidation."

Barreiro said he doesn't want to see another teenager die in the state's care. So, he's holding hearings in the Florida House about boot camps and their effectiveness.

"If the facts show what I really believe they're going to show, that they have the highest recidivism rate in the state of Florida and they're not being successful, then I just won't support funding it," Barreiro said.

Judd, however, said Polk County has proven the boot camp program can work as a deterrent to juvenile crime, and the state shouldn't throw out the entire program.

Sheriff Grady Judd said the camp has helped curb juvenile crime.  
"The death is unfortunate, and certainly it needs to be completely investigated," Judd said. "But in our world don't throw the baby out with the bath water."

The Department of Juvenile Justice and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement are conducting investigations into the death of 14-year-old Martin Lee Anderson.

The boy's parents believes he was abused at the Panama City Boot Camp and said he was in good physical shape before he went there. Boot camp officials said the teenager had to be restrained when he became uncooperative last week.

Anderson complained of breathing difficulties and collapsed. He died the next day at a Pensacola Hospital.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 08:19:00 AM »
Poll results- what MSNBC fans think... :scared:

What do you think of boot camps for juvenile delinquents?
  * 17487 responses  

They go too far and create more hardened criminals.
15%  

They should be used only in extreme cases.
12%  

They could probably use some oversight, but overall, a good idea.
45%  

Spare the rod and spoil the child: They should be used more widely.
23%  

I'm not sure.
4%
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 12:47:00 AM »
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/12/State ... ot_c.shtml

Close juvenile boot camps, legislator says
His proposal comes a week after a teen died after entering a Panhandle camp. But some lawmakers support the camps.

By Associated Press
Published January 12, 2006

TALLAHASSEE - A Republican lawmaker wants the state to close its military-style boot camps for juvenile offenders.

State Rep. Gus Barreiro, R-Miami Beach, chairman of the House Criminal Justice Appropriations Committee, called for eliminating the camps the week after 14-year-old Martin Lee Anderson died shortly after entering such a camp in Panama City.

"These programs are not working. ... We need to shut these things down," Barreiro said Wednesday.

But his counterpart in the Senate, Stephen Wise, R-Jacksonville, said he still supports the camps.

"Every once in a while something happens," Wise said. "It happens in prisons. It happens in real life, too. ... It's a shame. ... We just have to make sure we try to fix it."

(it's a shame?  a shame? ::noway::)

Gov. Jeb Bush said lawmakers should take a hard look at the camps.

"When you look at recidivism rates, they have had a proven record of success," Bush said. "When you have a case where a child dies, I want you to pause and do the necessary investigations."

He said policies at the boot camps across the state may need to be standardized.

"I'm looking forward to seeing what the investigation yields," Bush said.
 :roll:

The state Department of Juvenile Justice's records show that 62 percent of graduates from the several camps around the state are arrested again after being released - a rate experts call high. The camps are run by county sheriffs' offices under contract from the state.

"Boot camps don't work," said Aaron McNeese, dean of Florida State University's College of Social Work, which has done some of the research.

Cynthia Lorenzo, a Department of Juvenile Justice spokeswoman, said the department is reviewing all of the sheriff's offices' policies for the camps in light of Anderson's death.

Anderson was sent to the Bay County Sheriff's Office camp after a June arrest for grand theft. He was doing push-ups, sit-ups and other exercises as part of the intake process Jan. 5 when he became uncooperative and had to be restrained  :roll: , authorities said. He soon complained of breathing difficulties and collapsed. He was transferred to a Pensacola hospital and died early the next morning.

On Tuesday, Anderson's family filed an intent to sue. The family's attorney, Ben Crump, said the boy appeared to have been abused - he suffered a cut lip, a bloody nose and a scrape on the side of his face when he was restrained. A sheriff's spokeswoman denied that.

The victim's mother, Gina Jones, said her son was in good physical shape and enjoyed playing basketball. Anderson was about 6-foot-1 and weighed about 140 pounds, she said.

The Department of Juvenile Justice gave the Bay County camp a good review in a June 2004 quality assurance report, listing it as being in full compliance with state standards.

Sheriff's investigators have not completed a preliminary report on Anderson's death.

[Last modified January 12, 2006, 01:21:24]

:cry:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 08:27:00 PM »
martin was my friend....he didnt deserve this to happen to him. 14 year olds shouldnt be allowed to be addmitted into something like that when there that young, at least wait until there like 16...when there more matured and stronger and can handle the police bullying them. i know they abused him and fucked him up before he died. i've been in the exact same place before...ive seen what they do to kids...and its not right. you dont twist there arms around and shove them up against walls...who cares if there in "boot camp"....hes 14. Thats still child abuse, or actually in there case, manslaughter. I beleive boot camps should no longer be. It wont happen I know,becuse the system is so incredibly fucked up.But beleive me, I am going to see to it that these horrible people pay for what theve done...you dont kill a child and go on like nothing happened. Like I said, who cares if your the "drill instructor"..It still gives you absolutly no right to physically harm a child, a child is a child..and thats just not right.How would they feel if there child got locked up and had men 3 times there size over them screaming and pushing them around...and even maybe killing them.. im am sure they would be outraged, just as I am... and beleive me, you they wont get off easy...no they will not.

sorry, i just had to get that out.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 04:41:00 PM »
Darlin', thank you for writing that heartfelt note. FWIW, you're damned right and more and more people are starting to see it now. That's cold comfort, I know. There's nothing I can say, words are just not adequate. They killed your friend.

On 2006-01-18 17:27:00, Anonymous wrote:

It wont happen I know,becuse the system is so incredibly fucked up.

Just don't you believe that! Look, I was in a pretty messed up place in Florida too. I felt the same way. But we're the grown ups now. There may be nothing you can really do to fix this whole thing right now. But believe me, your words, your beliefs and the way you walk through life does have an impact; often more than you could ever imagine. I sleep better every day as more ppl like you decline to join in the turning away.

No laws, however stringent, can make the idle industrious, the thriftless provident, or the drunken sober
--Samuel Stiles

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 06:34:00 PM »
Tape of teen who died at boot camp held back

Melissa Nelson | the Associated Press
Posted January 19, 2006

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/loc ... ines-state

PENSACOLA -- Despite pressure from the family of a 14-year-old who died after collapsing at a juvenile boot camp, investigators said Wednesday they would not immediately release a tape showing what happened to the boy.

The tape shows Martin Lee Anderson's admission to the Bay County Sheriff's Office Boot Camp in Panama City on Jan. 5. Karen Mason, a spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, said the tape is part of the department's investigation and would not be made public until the investigation is closed, which could take a month or longer.

"It would be incredibly inappropriate to release the tape before the state attorney has had a chance to review it and decide if it is evidence," said State Attorney Steve Meadows, who will decide whether criminal charges are brought in the teen's death.

Anderson had just arrived at the camp because of a grand theft charge. He was doing push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups and other exercises that are part of the camp's physical fitness assessment when he became uncooperative and had to be restrained, the Sheriff's Office said.

He then complained of breathing problems and collapsed while waiting for an ambulance to arrive. He died early the next morning at Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola.

Dr. Charles Siebert, medical examiner for Bay County, has ruled out trauma or an injury as the cause of death. Toxicology reports are pending.

On Tuesday, Bay County Sheriff Frank McKeithen indicated the tape could cause public criticism of his department, but he didn't say why.

"When it is released and made public, there will be many questions, concerns and accusations. . . . We must not leave you with the impression that this is going to have a good ending. There is nothing good about the death of a 14-year-old young man," McKeithen said.

"As I find myself essentially handcuffed from releasing information concerning the unfortunate death of 14-year-old Martin Lee Anderson, I also find myself obligated to the citizens of Bay County, the family of Martin Anderson, and the media to in no way mislead them about the seriousness, the complexity and the perception of this incident."

Keisha Rice, an attorney for Anderson's family, called on investigators to release the tape, saying the family wants to view it. She said she and Benjamin Crump, another attorney for Anderson's family, also want to see the tape.

"It's obvious something terrible happened to young Martin Anderson, and we look forward to being able to review the tape so that we can find out the truth for ourselves. Martin's parents are haunted by the same questions everyone else wants to know -- since FDLE isn't going to alter the tape in any way while it is in their possession, then why won't they release it now? What's their excuse for holding it another month?" Rice said.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 06:38:00 PM »
Same article, less hacked about ...

Published Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Investigators won't soon release tape of Bay County camp death

By MELISSA NELSON
Associated Press Writer
PENSACOLA, Fla.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... /601180767

Despite pressure from the family of a 14-year-old who died after collapsing during admission to a juvenile boot camp, investigators said Wednesday they would not immediately release a tape showing what happened.

The tape shows Martin Lee Anderson's Jan. 5 admission to the Bay County Sheriff's Office Boot Camp in Panama City. Karen Mason, a spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, said the tape is part of the department's ongoing investigation and would not be made public until the investigation is closed, which could take a month or longer depending on criminal charges.

"It would be incredibly inappropriate to release the tape before the state attorney has had a chance to review it and decide if it is evidence," said State Attorney Steve Meadows, who will decide if criminal charges are brought in the teen's death.

Anderson had just arrived at the camp because of a grand theft charge. He was doing push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups and other exercises that are part of the camp's physical fitness assessment when he became uncooperative and had to be restrained, the sheriff's office said.

He then complained of breathing problems and collapsed while waiting for an ambulance to arrive. He died early the next morning at Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola.

Dr. Charles Siebert, medical examiner for Bay County, has ruled out trauma or an injury as the cause of death. Toxicology reports are pending.

On Tuesday, Bay County Sheriff Frank McKeithen indicated the tape could cause public criticism of his department, but didn't say why.

"When it is released and made public, there will be many questions, concerns and accusations ... We must not leave you with the impression that this is going to have a good ending. There is nothing good about the death of a 14-year-old young man," McKeithen said.

"As I find myself essentially handcuffed from releasing information concerning the unfortunate death of 14-year-old Martin Lee Anderson, I also find myself obligated to the citizens of Bay County, the family of Martin Anderson, and the media to in no way mislead them about the seriousness, the complexity and the perception of this incident."

Keisha Rice, an attorney for Anderson's family, called on investigators to release the tape, saying the family wants to view it. She said she and Benjamin Crump, another attorney for Anderson's family also want to see the tape.

"It's obvious something terrible happened to young Martin Anderson and we look forward to being able to review the tape so that we can find out the truth for ourselves. Martin's parents are haunted by the same questions everyone else wants to know - since FDLE isn't going to alter the tape in any way while it is in their possession, then why won't they release it now? What's their excuse for holding it another month," Rice said, reading a statement from the attorneys.

But Mason of the FDLE said releasing the tape would hurt the investigation.

"We owe it to the family to do a thorough, methodical, professional investigation. We aren't going to compromise that by the piecemeal release of evidence. The tape is one of several pieces of the puzzle," she said.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 09:31:00 AM »
MIAMI HERALD WATCHDOG
Guards seen beating teen in video
Two South Florida lawmakers who saw a video of a teen's final hours say he was abused at a juvenile boot camp. The boy died later that day.
By CAROL MARBIN MILLER
[email protected]
A 14-year-old boy was ''brutally'' beaten by guards and ''flung around like a rag doll'' at a boot camp for juvenile delinquents in Panama City hours before he died at a Panhandle hospital, according to two lawmakers who on Wednesday saw a videotape of the incident.

The video, which recorded the last 20 to 30 minutes of the teen's stay at the Bay County Sheriff's Office Boot Camp, shows officers at times kicking, punching and choking Martin Lee Anderson after he refused, or was unable, to comply with officers' orders to run or do other exercises, the legislators said.

Martin, of Panama City, died Jan. 6 at Pensacola's Sacred Heart Hospital, hours after he was admitted to the boot camp, which is operated under a contract with the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice.

The state Department of Law Enforcement, which is investigating Martin's death, showed the camp videotape to two members of the Florida House of Representatives who oversee youth corrections, and at least four members of the governor's staff at FDLE headquarters Wednesday morning.

Clearly shaken, state Rep. Gus Barreiro told The Miami Herald that the tape depicted ''the most heinous treatment of a human being'' he had ever seen. ``It was obvious to me the kid was unconscious, and they were still abusing him. People will be outraged when they see this tape, and they should be outraged.

''This could be anybody's son,'' added Barreiro, a Miami Beach Republican who chairs the House Juvenile Justice Appropriations Committee, and has headed a separate committee investigating alleged abuses in DJJ facilities.

State Rep. Dan Gelber, a Miami Beach Democrat who investigated dozens of alleged police brutality cases as head of the U.S. attorney's office civil-rights division in Miami for a decade, also saw the video.

''There's no question that the force used here was well beyond what was necessary for the situation,'' Gelber said. ``The truth is that this kid died in custody. . . . What we saw was very, very distressing.''

GOVERNOR'S OFFICE

A spokesman for Gov. Jeb Bush confirmed that four staffers from his office viewed the tape, but he declined to discuss what they saw. The officials were Bush Chief of Staff Mark Kaplan, Public Safety Policy Director Randy Ball, Deputy Chief of Staff Carol Gormley, and legal advisor Vicki Brennan.

''They viewed the video in light of their duties overseeing the [juvenile justice] agency,'' said Bush spokesman Russell Schweiss. ``They thought it was appropriate to help them understand the incident.''

FDLE officials and the Bay County Sheriff's Office declined to discuss the contents of the tape Wednesday. The FDLE also denied a request from The Miami Herald for a copy.

''We believe, in good faith, that this video is not a public record at this time,'' said FDLE spokesman Tom Berlinger. ``The limited disclosure that took place this morning was to government officials who have oversight authority of state government agencies.''

The Miami Herald was not able to reach a spokeswoman for the Department of Juvenile Justice, which has consistently declined to discuss the investigation.

`MANY QUESTIONS'

On Jan. 17, Bay County Sheriff Frank McKeithen issued a terse statement, saying release of the tape will raise ``many questions, concerns and accusations.''

''We must not leave you with the impression that this is going to have a good ending,'' he wrote.

Said Barreiro on Wednesday: ``I now know why the sheriff was so concerned.''

Reached by telephone in Panama City on Wednesday night, Martin's parents expressed outrage and sadness at hearing of the tape's contents.

''I want justice; that's what I want,'' said Robert Anderson, Martin's father. ``But I can't really get it, because my son is gone.''

''What the hell is a [large] man doing putting his knee into my son's back?'' Anderson said. ``He was only 14. He weighed less than 140 pounds.''

Said Benjamin Crump, the family's Tallahassee attorney: ``This is just too painful. To say that the family is devastated by this news is an understatement. Losing a child is hard enough.''

Juvenile justice officials have said Martin may have bled to death. No autopsy report has been made public. Barreiro and Gelber said they were told by the FDLE that Martin displayed no visible bruising.

Martin was arrested after he and four cousins took their grandmother's car from a church parking lot during Sunday services, and then crashed it. Though the grandmother did not wish to press charges, the youths all were arrested on grand-theft charges, Crump said.

The teen was in the admissions area of the boot camp Jan. 5 when he was ordered by drill instructors, along with several other youths, to perform exercises. While the youths were being initiated into the program, an officer held a video camera and zoomed in to film moments when youths were being restrained, Barreiro said he was told.

As the video begins, several other youths are seen being held up against a wooden fence as drill instructors yell at them. Martin, in what has been described by juvenile justice officials as a ''restraint,'' is first seen being held down on the ground by two officers, with his arms spread out, Barreiro said.

One officer is seen with his knee pushing into his back. Though the tape contains no sound, the officers appear to be yelling at the teen, Barreiro said.

After a minute or two, Martin stands up and attempts to run around the camp's track, Barreiro said. Officers ''rush'' to hold him up against the wooden fence, ''with his arms spread out like a crucifix,'' Barreiro said. Then four guards are seen holding Martin to the ground, with one officer pushing his knee into the youth's back.

As Martin gets up to run again, he is clearly ''stumbling,'' unable to run or walk, Barreiro said.

REWIND REQUEST

What happened next, Barreiro said, was so disturbing he asked the FDLE agent showing the tape to rewind several times. On screen, a guard is seen apparently choking Martin by pushing his forearm against his throat, Barreiro and Gelber said.

The youth is once again encouraged to begin running, but again he stumbles and falls down, Barreiro said: ``He is like a rag doll . . . They are holding him up.''

Said Gelber: ``They are moving his body around like a sack of potatoes.''

Then, both lawmakers said, an officer either kicks or knees Martin in the back of his knees so that he falls down. ''When he's on the ground,'' Barreiro said, ``they start punching him in the arms. He's like comatose, and they are punching and punching.''

Moments later, the lawmakers say, officers yank Martin by the head and jerk it back. Once again, Barreiro said, they place Martin in what appears to be a type of choke hold.

''That was pretty violent,'' Gelber said of what he called the ''jolting'' of the teen's head. ``You could see from the very beginning [Martin] had a problem. His legs were rubbery. The kid was fainting and losing consciousness repeatedly.''

At some point, officers appeared to be pushing an object -- the lawmakers said they were told it was ammonia to help Martin regain consciousness -- forcefully into his nose. Juvenile justice officials have previously said Martin bled profusely from some injury to his nose.

Gelber said he was particularly struck by the apparent lack of any urgency or concern on the part of the boot-camp officers -- and a nurse who appeared to stand by doing little -- while Martin was clearly in grave distress for about 20 minutes.

''This was too long a period of time to not have sought medical attention,'' Gelber said. ``Giving the officers the benefit of all doubt, it's hard to divine what the possible justification was for their treatment of the juvenile.''

Crump, the family's attorney, described Martin on Wednesday as ''a good kid'' who made honor roll on his last report card, and played basketball for his school team.

''It is not the policy of our country to kill a kid for going joyriding in his grandmother's car,'' Crump said.

Miami Herald staff writers Marc Caputo and Mary Ellen Klas contributed to this report.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 09:55:00 AM »
On 2006-02-09 06:31:00, Anonymous wrote:

''It is not the policy of our country to kill a kid for going joyriding in his grandmother's car,'' Crump said.

It's become the policy of this country to beat them into submission either psychologically or physically.

This is so sad yet all to familiar and predictable.  Things aren't going to change until this whole culture is exposed.  This will end up being explained away as some isolated incident, a cursory "investigation" may be done, the drill instructors will be discilplined and the sheep will feel better.  Whew!  Thank god we got those bad apples.  :roll:  Nothing will change until regular folk realize that the very nature and basis of TC/RTC/Bootcamp/ or whatever euphemism they use for Behavior Modification and Thought Reform camps is fucked up from the very start.  In addition to the obvious mindraping that goes on in all of them, it just breeds and attracts these kind of sadistic fucks.  

Hopefully when the tape finally does make it out to the general public it'll be a few steps towards bursting the bubble.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 08:31:00 AM »
http://www.kathymoya.com/FICA/index.html

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/02/10/State ... show.shtml

Lawmakers: Video shows beating

They say the actions of the boot camp's guards were brutal. Now, the dead youth's family may sue.

By Associated Press

Published February 10, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TALLAHASSEE - A videotape shows guards brutally beating a 14-year-old boy at a military-style boot camp for juvenile offenders not long before he died, two lawmakers said Thursday.

The state is refusing to make the tape public.

Martin Lee Anderson of Panama City died Jan. 6 at Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola. He collapsed after complaining of breathing problems while doing exercises that were part of intake procedures at the camp. The Bay County Sheriff's Office has said officers restrained him after he became uncooperative.

State Rep. Gus Barreiro called the videotape horrific, saying he had "never seen any kid being brutalized . . . the way I saw this young man being brutalized."

"Even towards the end of the videotape, where you could just see there was pretty much nothing left of Martin, they came out with a couple cups of water and splashed him in the face," Barreiro, a Miami Beach Republican, said. "When you see stuff like that, you want to go through the TV and say, "Enough is enough. Please stop hitting this kid.' "

An attorney for the family, Ben Crump, said the guards forced ammonia tablets up Anderson's nose, trying to keep the youth conscious.

"We can never ever let anything like this happen again and if we don't get this videotape out, people will never know the truth," said Crump, who demanded the tape's release on behalf of the family at a Panama City news conference Thursday. "I don't think there's any question there was excessive force," said Rep. Dan Gelber, a Democrat from Miami Beach and former federal prosecutor familiar with custody cases, who also saw the videotape.

"I think (the public is) going to be shocked at the treatment of this kid and the lack of attention that was paid to his core health needs," Gelber said. "This is a relatively small kid with a half a dozen of pretty strong men and he seemed to be phasing in and out of consciousness."

Bay County Sheriff Frank McKeithen issued a prepared statement accusing Barreiro and Gelber of overreacting with "irresponsible, premature and incorrect statements" that "add fuel to an already volatile situation."

Bay County authorities and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement have refused to make the tape of the incident public, but Barreiro and Gelber said it would be released soon. FDLE spokeswoman Karen Mason said the tape remains a part of the investigation and doesn't fall under the state's open records requirements. "It's absurd," said Barbara Petersen, president of the First Amendment Foundation. "Technically they may be able to claim the exemption ... (but) this is an issue of critical public concern.."

Gov. Jeb Bush said he had not seen the tape but was aware of the contents. Several of his aides had seen it.

"When you have someone in the custody of the state, irrespective (of) their reasons of being there, who dies, it's a concern," Bush said. "Absolutely we're concerned."

Anderson's family said they plan to sue Bay County and the state Department of Juvenile Justice, which oversees boot camp programs

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 08:46:00 AM »
If these Reps are as upset as they say they are in the press it might be worth it to drop them an email explaining that this kind of shit goes on every day in these places.  Maybe give them a little history lesson on exactly what kind of a culture they're dealing with, how far back it goes and the political ties.  It may not help, but it couldn't hurt either.

Dan Gelber  http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/ ... ssionId=41

Gus Barreiro  [email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 06:20:00 PM »
The fact of the matter is that we are in a Nazi dictatorship.  Our present dictator--the first in our nations' history but probably the first of many Republican dictators--just appointed an Italian fascist to the Supreme Court.  Boot Camps?  They are just practicing for torturing more and more and more Americans.  They are already wiretapping us and selecting us.  We have become Nazi Germany.  It is interesting that Hitler surrounded himself with sexual perverts and so does Dictator Bush.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »
 http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... =10#172472

On 2006-02-11 20:05:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Looks like the pressure is working.  The tape is likely to be released soon...

In a statement on Friday, Tunnell said he is considering releasing the video with the images of other juveniles digitally obscured because of comments made by the legislators who viewed it. "The premature disclosure as reported in the press has skewed this normal process," he said. "We now fear that public perception will be based on hearsay rather than reality." He called the legislators' comments "premature at best" and "irresponsible at worst." [/b]

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/ ... 849637.htm

Parents demand answers in son's boot camp death

MELISSA NELSON

Associated Press

PANAMA CITY, Fla. - Martin Lee Anderson played basketball and hung out with other kids in this hardscrabble neighborhood of barred windows and attack dogs that surrounds the cemetery where he was buried last month.

He made the honor roll last year and had not been in serious trouble before he and four cousins were arrested last June for taking their grandmother's Jeep Cherokee from a church parking lot and crashing it.

Although 14-year-old Anderson wasn't the driver, he was charged with grand theft. Other problems followed, including suspension from school and an arrest for trespassing.

On Jan. 5, he was admited to the Bay County Sheriff's Office Boot Camp. Two South Florida legislators who have seen a video tape of his last conscious moments say he was brutally beaten by guards who kicked and punched him.

Anderson's death has led some state leaders to demand changes at Florida's military-style boot camps.

Rep. Gus Barreiro, R-Miami Beach, who viewed the video last week said it shows a brutal beating.

"Even toward the end of the videotape, where you could just see there was pretty much nothing left of Martin, they came out with a couple of cups of water and splashed him in the face," Barreiro said.

"When you see stuff like that you just want to go through the TV and say, 'Enough is enough. Please stop hitting this kid," he said.

Rep. Dan Gelber, D-Miami Beach, a former federal prosecutor, also expressed outrage after viewing the tape, and said he did not think there was any question that excessive force was used.

Bay County Sheriff Frank McKeithen released a statement calling Barreiro and Gelber "loose cannon politicians," and said the two made "irresponsible premature and incorrect statements."

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has said Barreiro and Gelber were allowed to view the tape because they serve on the Criminal Justice Appropriations Committee. Several members of Gov. Jeb Bush's staff also were allowed to view the tape.

But Anderson's parents, Gina Jones and Robert Anderson, have not been allowed to see the last conscious moments of their son's life.

"No human being on this earth should go through what my son went though. I just wish they could have done me like that instead of it being him," Robert Anderson said.

Anderson's family wants the video of his admission to the camp made public, but FDLE has refused to release the tape, saying it is part of the ongoing investigation.  "I feel I need to see it. I feel I should be the one to see it," Anderson said.

The highly rated Bay County program for juvenile offenders was developed by Florida Department of Law Enforcement Commissioner Guy M. Tunnell when he was Bay County sheriff.

In a statement on Friday, Tunnell said he is considering releasing the video with the images of other juveniles digitally obscured because of comments made by the legislators who viewed it.  "The premature disclosure as reported in the press has skewed this normal process," he said. "We now fear that public perception will be based on hearsay rather than reality."  He called the legislators' comments "premature at best" and "irresponsible at worst."

Jones recalled dropping her son off at the camp, when he said he would do whatever it took to succeed.  She said she will always regret promising him as they parted that things would be OK for the next six months.  "What was my baby thinking when he was down on the ground and they were doing those things to him? Was he thinking that 'my mom said it would be OK' when they had their knees in his back?" Jones said.

The Bay County Sheriff's Office has said Anderson collapsed after he was restrained by guards while doing push ups and other exercises that were part his admission to the camp.  The medical examiner for Bay County is awaiting toxicology reports before releasing his findings. He has said trauma did not appear to be the cause of death.

In several news conferences since her son's death Jones has appeared holding pictures of him smiling or playing basketball. Last week, she carried a picture of him laying in a coffin in a suit.

"This is my baby the day before his 15th birthday," she said weeping.  She said doctors told her that her son's kidneys and liver were too badly damaged from what happened to him at the camp to be donated.  Anderson told The Associated Press that he is dealing with his son's death by keeping his anger under tight control.  "There is so much I want to say but I know it wouldn't be good right now," he said, standing on the street in front of his home, which is just a block a way from the cemetery where his son is buried.  Jones lives in the same neighborhood several blocks away and her mother also lives nearby. Martin Anderson lived with his mother.  Anderson works for a moving company and said he had talked with his son about his plans to get his own truck and have his son ride along with him. He said the boy was excited about the plan.  "Now he'll be with me in spirit only," he said.  Anderson walks over to the cemetery every day and looks at the collection of plastic flowers and dried roses that cover his son's still unmarked grave.  Jones said she tries to show her anger when she talks about her son in public, but when she's alone she remembers her last moments with him and she cries.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 11:38:00 AM »
This is one of the most heart-wrenching stories I've read. My god, this is just horribly sad.

Those people who beat this child to death need to be locked up for the rest of their life. They took a young boy's life away in cold blood.  :cry: