Author Topic: Zero Tolerance / Tyrany  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Zero Tolerance / Tyrany
« on: January 09, 2006, 11:22:00 PM »
Lancaster, Tx
20% of the students in Lancaster ISD didn't complete their HOLIDAY HOMEWORK assignment.

Of that 20%,  230+ high schoolers were suspended mid-day Monday until the reading/science project is completed. Elementary students were 'reprimanded'.

Superintendent says they want to send the message that education is the highest priority.

Forced (holiday, no less) homework???

HEY EDUCATORS, have you forgotten the definiton of HOLIDAY???

What about a "0" (zero) on the assignment?
Or points off for being late.

I didn't put my kids in public school twenty years ago, I damn sure wouldn't today.

As the student interviewed said, "This isn't zero tolerance, it's tyrany." His father, who is an educator and was in total agreement.

What IS this fucking country coming to/ headed for???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Zero Tolerance / Tyrany
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »
NO CHILD'S BEHIND LEFT: THE TEST
By Greg Palast

New York -- Today and tomorrow every 8-year-old in the state of New York will take a test. It's part of George Bush's No Child Left Behind
program.  The losers will be left behind to repeat the third grade.

Try it yourself.  This is from the state's actual practice test. Ready, class?

"The year 1999 was a big one for the Williams sisters. In February, Serena won her first pro singles championship. In March, the sisters met
for the first time in a tournament final. Venus won. And at doubles tennis, the Williams girls could not seem to lose that year."

And here's one of the four questions:

"The story says that in 1999, the sisters could not seem to lose at doubles tennis. This probably means when they played

"A   two matches in one day
  "B   against each other
  "C   with two balls at   once
  "D   as partners"

OK, class, do you know the answer? (By the way, I didn't cheat: there's nothing else about "doubles" in the text.)

My kids go to a New York City school in which more than half the students live below the poverty line. There is no tennis court.

There are no tennis courts in the elementary schools of Bed-Stuy or East Harlem. But out in the Hamptons, every school has a tennis court. In
Forest Hills, Westchester and Long Island's North Shore, the schools have nearly as many tennis courts as the school kids have live-in maids.

Now, you tell me, class, which kids are best prepared to answer the question about "doubles tennis"? The 8-year-olds in Harlem who've never
played a set of doubles or the kids whose mommies disappear for two hours every Wednesday with Enrique the tennis pro?

Is this test a measure of "reading comprehension" -- or a measure of wealth   accumulation?

If you have any doubts about what the test is measuring, look at the next question, based on another part of the text, which reads (and I
could not make this up):

"Most young tennis stars learn the game from coaches at private clubs. In this sentence, a club is probably a

"F   baseball bat
  "G   tennis racquet
  "H   tennis court
  "J    country club"

Helpfully, for the kids in our 'hood, it explains that a "country club" is a, "place where people meet." Yes, but WHICH people?

President Bush told us, "By passing the No Child Left Behind Act, we are regularly testing every child and making sure they have better options when schools are not performing."

But there are no "better options."  In the delicious double-speak of class war, when the tests have winnowed out the chaff and kids stamped failed, No Child Left results in that child being left behind in the same grade to repeat the failure another year.

I can't say that Mr. Bush doesn't offer better options to the kids stamped failed.  Under No Child Left, if enough kids flunk the tests, their school is marked a failure and its students win the right, under the law, to transfer to any successful school in their district.  You can't provide more opportunity than that.  But they don't provide it, the law promises it, without a single penny to make it happen.  In New York in 2004, a third of a million students earned the right to transfer to better schools -- in which there were only 8,000 places open.

New York is typical. Nationwide, only one out of two-hundred students eligible to transfer manage to do it.  Well, there's always the Army.
(That option did not go unnoticed:  No Child has a special provision requiring schools to open their doors to military recruiters.)

Hint:  When de-coding politicians' babble, to get to the real agenda, don't read their lips, read their budgets. And in his last budget,
our President couldn't spare one thin dime for education, not ten cents. Mr. Big Spender provided for a derisory 8.4 cents on the dollar of the cost of primary and secondary schools. Congress appropriated a half penny of the nation's income -- just one-half of one-percent of America's twelve trillion dollar GDP -- for primary and secondary education.

President Bush actually requested less.  While Congress succeeded in prying out an itty-bitty increase in voted funding, that doesn't mean
the extra cash actually gets to the students.  Fifteen states have sued the federal government on the grounds that the cost of new testing
imposed on schools, $3.9 billion, eats up the entire new funding budgeted for No Child   Left.

There are no "better options" for failing children, but there are better uses for them.  The President ordered testing and more testing to
hunt down, identify and target millions of children too expensive, too heavy a burden, to educate.

No Child Left offers no options for those with the test-score mark of Cain -- no opportunities, no hope, no plan, no funding.  Rather, it is
the new social Darwinism, educational eugenics: identify the nation's loser-class early on. Trap them then train them cheap.

Someone has to care for the privileged. No society can have winners without lots and lots of losers. And so we have No Child Left Behind -- to
produce the new worker drones that will clean the toilets at the Yale Alumni Club, punch the cash registers color-coded for illiterates, and
pamper the winner-class on the higher floors of the new economic order.

Class war dismissed.

See   a clip of the actual practice test at http://www.GregPalast.com
Greg Palast is the author of the New York Times bestseller, The Best
Democracy Money Can Buy. Read his investigative reports at
http://www.GregPalast.com
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Zero Tolerance / Tyrany
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 12:26:00 AM »
LONGWOOD, Fla. - An eighth-grader was shot and wounded by a SWAT team officer in a school bathroom Friday after he pulled out a pellet gun that resembled a real weapon and later raised it at a deputy, authorities said.

Sheriff Don Eslinger said the 15-year-old boy brought the gun to Milwee Middle School in his backpack. Eslinger said two students saw it and one persuaded the other to report it, causing a scuffle.

The alleged gunman ordered one of the students into a closet, dimmed the lights and ran from the classroom. He then went around the campus carrying the weapon, Eslinger said. Deputies eventually isolated him in a restroom, and the school was evacuated.

Eslinger said negotiators tried unsuccessfully to start a dialogue with the boy, identified as Christopher David Penley.

?He did not respond,? Eslinger said. ?He refused to even comment. All he said was his first name. He did not drop the firearm.?

When the boy raised the gun at a deputy, he shot the youth, the sheriff said.

Penley was taken to a hospital, where he was on ?advanced life support,? the sheriff said.

?He was suicidal?

?He was suicidal,? Eslinger said. ?During this standoff, and during the chase, the student said he was going to kill himself or die.? At one point, the boy held the gun to his own neck.

No one else was injured. The sheriff?s office confirmed later that the weapon was a pellet gun fashioned to look like a 9mm handgun. The tip of the gun had been painted black, covering brightly colored markings that would have indicated it was nonlethal.

Investigators did not know why Penley brought the weapon to school. ?We are looking into his past, and all kinds of different issues possibly.? Eslinger said.

Classes were canceled for the rest of the day, and frantic parents arrived to pick up their children from the 1,100-student public school in suburban Orlando.

?When I saw the news, I just couldn?t believe this was my daughter?s school.

I came right away,? said Anil Santos, whose daughter, Aleister, is in eighth grade.

Sarah Tivy, 12, said some students were frightened, but she appeared calm.

?I just figured that if someone is going to bring a gun to school, then they need to be taken out of school,? she said.

Kelly Swofford, a neighbor whose 11-year-old son is close friends with Penley, said he visited their home Thursday night and complained that
?people were picking on him at school. I told him he needed to talk to his guidance counselor.?

Fight was anticipated
Her son Jeffery said Penley talked about wanting to die when the two had breakfast Friday morning. He said Penley had been fighting with another boy, allegedly over a girl.

?Everybody knew they were going to fight,? Jeffery said. ?I heard a rumor that he had a BB gun, but I didn?t think he really had one.?

Phone calls to Penley?s home were not answered Friday, and a person who answered the door declined to comment.

As dusk fell, Marie Hargis stood in front of the school with a sign that read ?Stop the violence.? Her 14-year-old son and 13-year-old daughter
attend Milwee.

?My youngest daughter is just very emotionally messed up. She started crying and said, ?Mommy, I don?t want to go back.? They should not fear having to go to school.?

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Zero Tolerance / Tyrany
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 08:49:00 AM »
Perhaps I want you to join in the assignment. With the demise of Wilmer-Hutchins ISD, Dr. Lewis is just trying to challenge the kids to learn. You should applaud his effort. I would not hurt some of the parents to be engaged in the assignment. By the way, check the spelling on tyranny.   :idea:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Zero Tolerance / Tyrany
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 08:56:00 AM »
Kids aren't stupid. You think they give a shit that now they get an extra day or two off, AND have the support of their parents?! They are laughing at the school, their parents and anyone else who cares about this. Suspension is not a punishment.  :lol:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Zero Tolerance / Tyrany
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 02:49:00 AM »
I was expelled from school for refusing to stand and say the pledge of submission to the Goverment. If I only understood my rights at the time. The next year in school, The bleachers collapased. I was on the top one, That was the last straw for me. I sued w/everyone else(180 kids) and never went back.

As far as the holiday homework thing, Thats a bunch of BS. Such abuse of control.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Zero Tolerance / Tyrany
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 03:07:00 AM »
OK, The test thing is kinda scarey. I see what your saying about weeding out the "weak" or percieved weak. Thats really scarey. Sooner or later, they will control certian people's rights to bare children, based on strange-new tests,  to start forming the Super Gene. For our best interest, of course

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Zero Tolerance / Tyrany
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 01:14:00 PM »
On 2006-01-25 05:49:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Perhaps I want you to join in the assignment. With the demise of Wilmer-Hutchins ISD, Dr. Lewis is just trying to challenge the kids to learn. You should applaud his effort. I would not hurt some of the parents to be engaged in the assignment. By the way, check the spelling on tyranny.   :idea:  "

With Holiday Homework, Corporal Punishment, Mandatory AP classes in order to graduate, and a prep school dress code.... I think he has a little bigger agenda than 'challenging' the kids. One of a personal nature, like, proving something to his white peers. He's gonna turn his black students into white, middle-class, preppy 'acting' kids. More about him than the kids.