Author Topic: Daughter out of control again ....  (Read 13787 times)

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
Daughter out of control again ....
« on: December 29, 2005, 10:45:00 AM »
I used to lurk around here some time ago.  Yes, I was an advocate of "programs".  We really thought she had turned the corner in terms of destructive behaviors post program.

She has been home for 6 months, and we are pretty much back to square one.

I have really changed my thinking about the efficacy of these places.  It would be very interesting to know the recidivism rate of kids who attend long term residential placements.

So, I'll be lurking once again.  Mostly to gain insight into the hearts and minds of troubled kids.  Maybe if I can understand her ... I can somehow help her.  And then again, maybe she is the only one who can help her ...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 12:19:00 PM »
My daughter slipped back to almost square one.  The reason , as I found out later, was there were so many options and no restrictions and she wanted to try everything she couldnt when she was away.  No one spoke her language, so there was no support from her peers.
But under a year she bounced back, the difference was the program she was in taught her and supplied her with tools (i.e. communication, knowing she could make good as well as bad choices, she had the power to change herself etc.)We were able to sit, make eye contact and talk about how we were feeling and this hepled bring us and the family back together again.
So hang in there and keep trying, the tools the school gave her are still there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 02:16:00 PM »
My personal experience in these programs was that they are fear based. They don?t teach you any real values or create a foundation for your future. Its all about intimidation and money. In the end I was harmed far more than helped. Today, years later, I feel like I need to seek help for the issue I have from my time in a WWASP program.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 02:20:00 PM »
Maybe she's had just about all the 'help' she can stand; at least the strong arm variety.

Recidivism rates. Well, now that you mention it, look around these forums. Damned near everyone goes through a time of extreme excess after these programs. Most come around and get their act together, but relatively few ever get over the damage done to family relationships.

Try and entertain the possability that not everything you were trying to fix was actually broken. Maybe she's got some good, if inarticulable, reasons for rejecting your authority and doing things you'd rather she didn't.

Here's a great escape story w/ a happy ending.

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... &forum=8&3

"...In general, it's just an overall sign in America that there doesn't seem to be as much respect for authority figures, and that's a bad trend. It just strikes me that people can say whatever they want to and get away with it, and that's not good."

--But David Murrell, exec. dir. of the Florida Police Benevolent Association

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 03:00:00 PM »
Maybe it was simply maturity, and not any "tools" she learned from a program.  When I came home after three years, I started doing things that were ten times "worse" than anything I did before.  The program was a holding tank for me.  Eventually, I got tired of how I was living and straightened up a bit.  I mean, I don't do drugs anymore.  I still have a very strong sense of self, since the program and my parents tried to take that away from me.  The only reason that I have a good relationship with my parents now is that they finally let go, and have accepted me for who I am.  You should try that.

On 2005-12-29 09:19:00, Anonymous wrote:

"My daughter slipped back to almost square one.  The reason , as I found out later, was there were so many options and no restrictions and she wanted to try everything she couldnt when she was away.  No one spoke her language, so there was no support from her peers.

But under a year she bounced back, the difference was the program she was in taught her and supplied her with tools (i.e. communication, knowing she could make good as well as bad choices, she had the power to change herself etc.)We were able to sit, make eye contact and talk about how we were feeling and this hepled bring us and the family back together again.

So hang in there and keep trying, the tools the school gave her are still there."

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 04:01:00 PM »
Anonymous Posted: 2005-12-29 12:00:00    "The only reason that I have a good relationship with my parents now is that they finally let go, and have accepted me for who I am. You should try that."

I am trying.  I really am trying to accept her for who she is.  And I am trying really hard to let go.  She left our home a few days ago ... she's 17.  Guess I have to let go.  :cry:  If she chooses drugs ... not much I can do.  If she chooses to self-mutilate ... not much I can do.  If she chooses promiscuity and gets herself pregnant, not much I can do.  If she thumbs a ride to Vegas, not much I can do.  So, you see I really do have to let go.  Because there's just not much else I can do.

I just don't know where the proper boundaries are with a 17 year old.  I mean should she just be allowed to quit high school?  She has only one semester left?  Should she be allowed to hang around in her pajamas all day and do nothing but chat on line?  Our state laws don't allow me to force her out of the nest ... but the law does allow her to "walk" out of the nest.
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 04:17:00 PM »
Been exactly there, except for the cutting.  I know its hard but you're right, there really is nothing you can do to force her to do what you want her to.  In my case my daughter eventually did start to grow out of living a life that nearly drove me insane.  That's not to say there weren't some intensely scary times, but what was I going to do?  You can physically force change on someone by putting them in a closed environment but they have to enter the real world sometime.  Antigen has said here many times that the only way to change someone against their will is to break that will first and that's all too true.  Bad move, very bad.  Causes much more damage than if the kid were to have to deal with the natural consequences that come with behaviors and decisions.  

I wish you luck and patienc in dealing with this.  Take hope in the fact that most kids make it through adolescence w/o benefit of a program and in all likelyhood your will too.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »
re: truth searcher. First of all i disagree with the last poster in that sometimes I believe one's will must be broken down to a degree, then if done correctly, build it back up so they see a new self and willingness to persue that to make them happy and confident.  I will get bashed on this board, but really, it sounds like your concerned, have done what you had to do, and things aren't going exactly right right now. If your really wanting to know what to do, this board, which is a very minute group of hostile people who never got it, is not the place to contimplate or make decisions.  You should seek other neutral and knowledgable advise.  That being said,  reading your post, this is what I think.  There is definitely recidicism.  Not to blame you, because you do care, but that is again being taken advantage of.  You ARE the responsible adult, and you CAN and WILL make the decisions based upon her living in YOUR house!  She does not yet realize how much you care for her, what you've had to do, and how hard it is on you right now. Second, you and her have a definite communication gap.  You MUST have regular communication sessions,and that is required to live in the house. If she's cutting herself, you'll have to decide if this is an attention thing, or does she need some real psychological help.  You talk to her eye-to-eye where she knows you mean business, then do what you have to do, and tell her that you will because you love her. She will respect that regardless of what she might say immediately.  Lastly, I can fully understand your confusion and grief, and this site will only add to confusion. I'm on here anonymously because i do it for a laugh at the people crying about their "abuse"= had to work, had to look at wall, had to not talk, had to not look. Sorry, not had to, but was "forced" to.  No, everything in life is about choices.  It is spelled out from the beginning what the rules are. In a program, or in real life.   Now, I'll really get bombed for this. But you know what, when my teen was really headed for big trouble, and I had been through all the legal ramafications that went with it, I talked to many people, did my own investigations, and personally took my child to one I was comfortable with.  About a year later, my child is about to graduate, thinks he is 10' tall, loves his family, respects rules, and is very serious about not being around negative influences. I think you have hope to get help for your daughter, but it HAS to begin with you putting your foot down. She WILL participate in your discussions and your decisions, because YOU are the parent. And she can CHOOSE what she wants to do from there. Being 17, if she refuses, she's on her own.  Then she'll be back, to go by your recommendations.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 06:10:00 PM »
Yeah, take advice from someone whose child has not reentered the real world yet.

I, for one, am not hostile.  I just know from experience that the programs do not work, and so do you, Mom.  

Maybe this poster can come back and tell us how great the program worked for her child a couple of years after the child reenters the real world.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 06:13:00 PM »
yes, I'll come back at you.  I've been with my child, recently, in the real world, and is very admirable, respectable, and ready to take it on. What do you do?  What do you contribute to society?  Bash me all you want, but this is what I see your life is all about. Being on stupid forums like this, somehow trying to find your way. Your up the wrong road, and you will see.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 06:17:00 PM »
and now that you've started, what are you doing now?  blaming the world for your actions in the past, or leading a productive one.  Since you know from experience, where did you go?  Were you the rebellious type and still are, and are now sitting on mommas cushy couch bitching on the computer.  I think you know what I want you to do, it's just easier and cushier for you to bitch about your "hard time, and abuse".  Can you not actually get a life by yourself?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 06:45:00 PM »
I'm on here anonymously because i do it for a laugh at the people crying about their "abuse"

A disgusting quote, all too typical of program supporters/employees/parents. It's not enough for you people to lock kids up for years for no reason, other than to mindfuck them into compliance, no that's not enough for you sadistic freaks. You then roll around in the filth you created for your own enjoyment afterwards, just like the pigs you are. You enjoy laughing at kids who were sexually, physically and emotionally abused? That's absolutely repulsive! How can you rationally explain that comment - you can't - you are a horrible, horrible person. Have you no idea how many lives these programs have destroyed? Have you not read the accounts of abuse posted here and at other websites, by former students and staff? Oh, of course you have, you consider it comedic material. :roll: May God have mercy on your retched soul.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 06:45:00 PM »
On 2005-12-29 15:17:00, Anonymous wrote:

"and now that you've started, what are you doing now?  blaming the world for your actions in the past, or leading a productive one.  Since you know from experience, where did you go?  Were you the rebellious type and still are, and are now sitting on mommas cushy couch bitching on the computer.  I think you know what I want you to do, it's just easier and cushier for you to bitch about your "hard time, and abuse".  Can you not actually get a life by yourself?

"

Uh, last I checked, people are individuals by nature and want to be them... not submit to others and do as some self-declared authority tells them to do.

Everyones rebellious as a teenager, too, yanno..

One thing that really amuses me is "Can you not actually get a life by yourself?" <- Uh, arent you the same person saying a PROGRAM has to do everything for teenagers?  :roll:

Which is it? People should be themselves, or should be destroyed, then rebuilt as a program child? You cant have it both ways.

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves

--Ronald Reagan

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 06:47:00 PM »
On 2005-12-29 15:13:00, Anonymous wrote:

"yes, I'll come back at you.  I've been with my child, recently, in the real world, and is very admirable, respectable, and ready to take it on. What do you do?  What do you contribute to society?  Bash me all you want, but this is what I see your life is all about. Being on stupid forums like this, somehow trying to find your way. Your up the wrong road, and you will see.  "

We don't need to bash you, it's very aparent you hate yourself. In fact, I pity you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 06:53:00 PM »
It appears we have a rabid program troll on our hands today. Riddle me this... if the program was so successful and you were so satisfied, why do you spend your time here 'laughing' at the abuse of children? Is that what you would consider success? I sure don't and would never send my child anywhere you would reccomend. I don't know of any parent who would take parenting advice from you. Didn't your daughter end up in a program? Doesn't this mean you are the LAST person we should look at for parental advice?