Author Topic: Erica Harvey  (Read 1278 times)

Offline LauraLee

• View Profile
Erica Harvey
« on: December 26, 2005, 12:01:00 PM »
Dear all users,

I am a 15 year old girl who graduated this summer from Catherine Freer Wilderness program. When I was sent there I asked many times whether there had been any deaths at this program, and I kept being reassured, there have been no deaths. I have started doing research on this topic, and I am absolutley apalled by the epidemic of negligence and abuse that happens at these programs.

One case that particularly interests me, however, is Erica Harvey's. It may be because I graduated from the same program she died in, it may be because she was close in age to me. I feel a certain connection to her in myself. Does anybody have any information about her death? I know that she died from hyperthermia and dehydration, I know she died in Nevada. But I'd like to know more. What was the cause to send her to such a program? There is very little about her story on the internet.

Thank you so much, and may she rest in peace.

-LauraLee
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Erica Harvey
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 01:16:00 PM »
On 2005-12-26 09:01:00, LauraLee wrote:

"Dear all users,

I am a 15 year old girl who graduated this summer from Catherine Freer Wilderness program. When I was sent there I asked many times whether there had been any deaths at this program, and I kept being reassured, there have been no deaths. I have started doing research on this topic, and I am absolutley apalled by the epidemic of negligence and abuse that happens at these programs.

One case that particularly interests me, however, is Erica Harvey's. It may be because I graduated from the same program she died in, it may be because she was close in age to me. I feel a certain connection to her in myself. Does anybody have any information about her death? I know that she died from hyperthermia and dehydration, I know she died in Nevada. But I'd like to know more. What was the cause to send her to such a program? There is very little about her story on the internet.

Thank you so much, and may she rest in peace.

-LauraLee"

Usually when a child dies in a program, the parents file a wrongful death lawsuit.  Don't know if that's the case with Erica Harvey, but it is true with many of the other children who have died.  Cathy Sutton has been the most outspoken about the wilderness therapy and troubled teen industry.  Her daughter was one of the first to be killed while participating in a program.

http://teenadvocatesusa.org/foreveryoung.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Erica Harvey
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 01:37:00 PM »
Welcome

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... t=10#49114

Erica Harvey died of hyperthermia (heat-stroke) with dehydration. I'm her mom: this is fact. The girl you knew at Cascade (H.T.)also went to Catherine Freer (before Erica) and may have gotten her information from someone at Catherine Freer. It's not correct. Erica, at 5'5" and 130 lbs. was a strong, healthy young woman who died from preventable causes.

The 2 year anniversary of Erica's death is May 27.

Other posts by Erica's mom:
http://fornits.com/wwf/search.php?term= ... mit=Search

You might try sending her a private message too.
Good luck.