Author Topic: Another WWASP death  (Read 29602 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Another WWASP death
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2006, 11:41:00 AM »
***  Then why the hell are they there? That would suggest that the programs take in kids that don't need their "help". Why would they do that? Hmmmm, let's rack our brain trying to figure that one out.

No you didnt read what I said.  They are there because of need not desire.  Its not a desire on the parents part.

**** Most kids survive teenhood relatively intact despite scaring the crap out of their parents. ***

This is very evident and the teen years for parents can be a horror.  Some parents overreact and send their kids away because they got a "B" in english, and there will always be people like that and there are always people to take your money and promise to solve your problems.  But after you let them fall again and again you figure it has to stop.  Falling out of the first or second story window might be okay, but each time you may move up a story and falling out of the sixth and seventh story window, I think its time to pull out the safety net.

Most kids survive on their own and do well and mature in their own time, others do not, and without help dont make it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline WWFSMD

• View Profile
    • http://www.venganza.org/
Another WWASP death
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »
On 2006-01-18 08:41:00, Anonymous wrote:

They are there because of need not desire.  Its not a desire on the parents part.

I disagree.

This is very evident and the teen years for parents can be a horror.  Some parents overreact and send their kids away because they got a "B" in english, and there will always be people like that and there are always people to take your money and promise to solve your problems.  But after you let them fall again and again you figure it has to stop.  Falling out of the first or second story window might be okay, but each time you may move up a story and falling out of the sixth and seventh story window, I think its time to pull out the safety net.

Most kids survive on their own and do well and mature in their own time, others do not, and without help dont make it."

You're talking about an extremely small percentage of kids.  Those that truly DO need help won't find it in these places.

Any Irishman who doubts the reality of selective enforcement ought to take just a moment to comtemplate the etymology of the term "paddy waggon".
--Antigen

bey your Noodly Master

Emancipate from mental slavery

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Another WWASP death
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2006, 12:13:00 PM »
On 2006-01-18 07:58:00, Anonymous wrote:

Antigen -- I think I want you to take a step back and recalibrate.  You really feel that anytime a child needs to be separated from from their parents for a sickness it is considered shipping them off.

No, you're mixing metaphores. I think anytime a parent ships their kid off for the purpose of gaining inapropriate control of them, not for the purpose of treating an objectively provable medical condition, it's very, very similar to the way some people (and I use that term loosely, cuz I'm fond of dogs) will have their dogs denutted for the purpose of breaking their will.

You have gone from "Anti All programs" to just "antiparents".  

I am a parent. I've had sick kids. One of my kids was so sick for some time that I actually had a few conversations w/ real medical professionals on the topic of when enough is enough and the kindest, most responsible and compassionate thing to do is just give lots of morphene and ice cream. This was after this same kid spent a couple of years seemingly dedicated to my premature aging by way of her wreckless choices.

I know the difference. Do you?

Like I say, been there. Don't believe what they say about us over on Struggling Turkeys. We're not really all just a bunch of disaffected punks.

Not everyone can solve their problem at home or be with them during treatment, I am just amazed that you take this position."

Not every problem can be solved. Not every emotional upset is based on objective fact. Surely, you've made the acquaintance before of overbearing, overprotective, overly worried parents. Surely, if you live in the same world I do, you've seen people like this and felt some sympathy for the kid who's forced to work at calming their neurotic parents irrational fears like it's a full time job. Most of these kids have just had about all the help they can stand by the time some bullshitter finds their parents frantic and unconsolable and sells them a handful of magic beans. Sometimes the best thing you can do for your troubled loved one is to quit troubling them, quit disabling them, quit trying to fix them and consider the possability that they're just as competent and resillient as you ever were (maybe more) and what they need most is a break from all of your "help".

If you look over Lon's site w/ a critical eye, you'll see that the parents who have not yet been banned are giving just exactly this advice to other parents who's results are not quite up to expectation.

"Letting go" is a constant theme over there. But, because it's such a cultish little world they live in, it can't be moderate or reasonable or adapted to the individuals involved, it's got to be clear cut, black and white. If the kid's not following all of the "agreements" that have been made for them as a condition of release, you can't just accept that your kid is not going to behave exactly as you thought you wanted. No! You have to kick them out, change the locks, confiscate their posessions, ban them from contact w/ younger brothers and sisters. If you love your kid, you must (according to the struggling turkeys) execute the "Exit Plan" and be firm about it.

And don't have any truck with anybody, even family, who does not support this extreme line of action. If you disagree, you'd better keep it to yourself or you'll be stuck w/ us misanthropic infidels over here on Fornits because your views will not be tolerated among the true believers.

At the risk of being too longwinded and boring you, I'd like to go a step further w/ the medical allegory. How about the first and most important tenet of the Hypocratic Oath; First, do no harm? As I said, I've had more experience w/ my daughter and the medical field than I ever would wish on anybody. Of course, there are people in the medical field who are either power trippers or just burned out but stuck (either economically or out of a sense of responsibility). And there are those who are just jaded, don't care and don't want to be bothered w/ the minutea of every little detail of patient care. After awhile, you learn to tolerate them and concentrate on those for whom the practice of medicine is a real calling.

Those are the folks I want to tell you about. When I asked my daughter's doctors, nurses and other caregivers questions about the proceedures and medications they were giving her or proposed to give her, they didn't shout me down. Instead, they handed me their institutional guide book and her chart and made themselves available to help me understand some of the more difficult language. Or they'd spell out some of the terms so that I could go look them up. There was absolutely no attempt made to prevent me from talking w/ other parents, even very unhappy ones. When I questioned their methods or the relative risk/benefit of any particular course of action, I either got a satisfactory explanation about why the procedure was necessary or expected to be worth the risk and discomfort or I got a change of plans.

And here we're talking about an objectively factual set of conditions which, not just maybe, but absolutely would have killed her in very short order w/o treatment or w/o just about exactly the correct treatment. And yet these folks, who actually earned their degrees, certifications, licenses and positions and have dedicate their lives to ongoing education were continually open to the possability that they might be wrong and that, ultimately, it was up to their young patients to care for themselves.

Compare that to the treatment you've received by these alleged "experts" in taming the wild, lurching teenager creature.

It just does not compare.

All contemporary religions and churches, all and every kind of religious organization, Marxism has always viewed as organs of bourgeois reaction, serving as a defense of exploitation and the doping of the working-classes.
--Nikolai Lenin, Russian revolutionary

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Another WWASP death
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2006, 12:14:00 PM »
**** You're talking about an extremely small percentage of kids. Those that truly DO need help won't find it in these places. ****

Even if only one child is saved by that one program which is a good match for his or her problem, it is worth all the money they are charging.
If they document the success of this one child they may be able, in time, to apply it to others.

Offline WWFSMD

• View Profile
    • http://www.venganza.org/
Another WWASP death
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2006, 12:19:00 PM »
On 2006-01-18 09:14:00, Anonymous wrote:

Even if only one child is saved by that one program which is a good match for his or her problem, it is worth all the money they are charging.

If they document the success of this one child they may be able, in time, to apply it to others. "

Yeah, never mind the hundreds or thousands who've been severely damaged or even destroyed by these places.  Look!!!!  They helped ONE kid so it MUST be good and noble!  

WAKE UP!  :roll:

I wasn't raised Catholic, but I used to go to Mass with my friends, and I viewed the whole business as a lot of very enthralling hocus-pocus. There's a guy hanging upon the wall in the church, nailed to a cross and dripping blood, and everybody's blaming themselves for that man's torment, but I said to myself, 'Forget it. I had no hand in that evil. I have no original sin. Theres no blood of any sacred martyr an my hands. I pass on all of this.'
--Billy Joel, American musician

bey your Noodly Master

Emancipate from mental slavery

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Another WWASP death
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »
***Yeah, never mind the hundreds or thousands who've been severely damaged or even destroyed by these places.  Look!!!!  They helped ONE kid so it MUST be good and noble!  

WAKE UP!****

Thats the problem with only being able to see it from one point of view.  It could easily be said:

"Yeah, never mind the hundreds or thousands who've been Helped or even lives saved by these places.  Look!!!!  They had ONE kid who died so it MUST be horrorable industry that preys on people!

Wake up !

This isnt my point of view, all I am saying is its not black and white, not many things are.  If you have been burned by a place it may be hard to be objective or stand back and see others' results and successes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Another WWASP death
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »
If they document the success of this one child they may be able, in time, to apply it to others.

"Yeah, never mind the hundreds or thousands who've been Helped or even lives saved by these places. Look!!!! They had ONE kid who died so it MUST be horrorable industry that preys on people!

Wake up !

This isnt my point of view, all I am saying is its not black and white, not many things are. If you have been burned by a place it may be hard to be objective or stand back and see others' results and successes

I just quoted two people who were NEVER locked up in a WWASP gulag, because if they had been - they would bite their tongues immediately. Absolutely unbelievable the amount of arm-chair program supporters here... unbelievable. Why do find it necessary to discount the ONGOING abuse at WWASP? What do you gain? You are defending a notoriously abusive program the likes of which this country has never seen. This is a worldwide insitutionalized child abuse ring and here you people, with no experience think it's just dandy. I assume you are both agnostics or atheists because those statements are pure evil. :sad:

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Another WWASP death
« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »
I am not a WWASP Supporter.  I found this thread because of the death that occured and was interested in the details.  

I am speaking about (and my points were towards)programs in general, not any specific ones.  There have been deaths in other programs as well, not just WWASPs

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Another WWASP death
« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »
On 2006-01-18 08:41:00, Anonymous wrote:

No you didnt read what I said. They are there because of need not desire. Its not a desire on the parents part.

Some people send their kids off because they're convinced that all drug use = abuse = an intractible, mortal, progressive disease that must be treated poste haste w/ toughlove stepcraft, by force if necessary.

Then, once the kid's gone and they riffle through what he thought was his private stuff, they find "evidence" in the form of violent or otherwise upsetting pictures or words. "See there? He was planning to violently kill the stepmonster (ehr, I mean, my darling, nurturing, blameless new wife) and he even drew a diagram!!!

How do you determine what the kid needs? Who gets to speak on the issue? If it's a toughlove Synanon style program (as the vast majority of programs in the troubled parent industry seem to be) then the kid has no sayso and neither do family and friends nor professionals nor cops or anyone else who disagrees or even questions the Program. "Trust the process, just trust the process!" They'll continue to alternately stroke and swat you depending on how closely you tow their line. You're a good, brave and loving parent for exactly as long as you "trust the process."

The trouble here is that there is no objective input into this very important decision. The parents are, as you note, quite distraught and not in any shape to enter into important agreements, the edcons and the program have their financial and ego incentives and the other parents are in the same boat you are, just a good many bends down the river already.

Where's the objective assessment? Where's the evidence that the is the problem to begin with or that this particular form of treatment is likely to be helpful?

Don't you find it really disturbing that they continue to point to those thank you letters which they assign the parents to write as part of their seminars as evidence of an army of happy parents? Don't they have anything better?

A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it.  That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit.
-- In the August 1993 issue, page 9, of PS magazine, the Army's magazine of preventive maintenance

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Another WWASP death
« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2006, 02:26:00 PM »

If they document the success of this one child they may be able, in time, to apply it to others. "

Yup, and you might ask yourself why, after over 30 years since NIDA and other public and private entities started kicking down big bags of bucks to this industry they haven't done that. Or why, after NIMH released their study last October, the industry isn't papering every town w/ copies, citations and references.

Of course, you'll lose your good standing within the Toughlove hategroup if you ask those sort of questions. But your kid might well apreciate it, even if it seems too late now. It's never too late to apologize, ya know.

Jails and prisons are the complement of schools; so many less as you have of the latter, so many more you must have of the former

--Horace Mann

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Another WWASP death
« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2006, 02:41:00 PM »
****  Some people send their kids off because they're convinced that all drug use = abuse = an intractible, mortal, progressive disease that must be treated poste haste w/ toughlove stepcraft, by force if necessary. ****

I agree 100%, there are people like that.

***The trouble here is that there is no objective input into this very important decision. The parents are, as you note, quite distraught and not in any shape to enter into important agreements, the edcons and the program have their financial and ego incentives and the other parents are in the same boat you are, just a good many bends down the river already. ****

Thats why a parent may not want to make a rash or wrong decision and may opt for a therapist, if their family isnt already seeing one, to get a perfessional perspective.

***  Where's the objective assessment? Where's the evidence that the is the problem to begin with or that this particular form of treatment is likely to be helpful? ***

I dont know, but if there isnt any, each of us gets to choose a position based on personal knowledge or people we know  or look to professionals to guide us.  If there is no evidence either?  I dont know

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Another WWASP death
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2006, 02:47:00 PM »
On 2006-01-18 11:26:00, Antigen wrote:

"

Yup, and you might ask yourself why, after over 30 years since NIDA and other public and private entities started kicking down big bags of bucks to this industry they haven't done that. Or why, after NIMH released their study last October, the industry isn't papering every town w/ copies, citations and references.

Of course, you'll lose your good standing within the Toughlove hategroup if you ask those sort of questions. But your kid might well apreciate it, even if it seems too late now. It's never too late to apologize, ya know.

Jails and prisons are the complement of schools; so many less as you have of the latter, so many more you must have of the former

--Horace Mann

"
But in the same sense, after 30 years the industry is still growing.  Maybe improving, I havent followed it that long.
Most of the major problems must be overblown because the industry, for the most part, is still unregulated.

I would suspect that in a general sense the kids are doing better going to programs than if released to their own selves.  This is not my opinion, but may answer the questions of why the industry continues to thrive and run unregulated

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Another WWASP death
« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2006, 03:01:00 PM »
On 2006-01-18 11:47:00, Anonymous wrote:

But in the same sense, after 30 years the industry is still growing.  Maybe improving, I havent followed it that long.

:roll:  Read this:  http://www.nmha.org/children/justjuv/bootcamp.cfm

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Another WWASP death
« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2006, 03:29:00 PM »
On 2006-01-18 12:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-01-18 11:47:00, Anonymous wrote:

:roll:  Read this:  http://www.nmha.org/children/justjuv/bootcamp.cfm"

I guess I could buy some of that as it relates to Boot camps or wilderness programs.  I sort of lean more towards TBS's.  Short term boot camps, beat them up straighten them out approach will eventually fade out if it isnt followed by something more therapeutic to help people transition back into society.

**** most youth can be managed in their communities while they receive a full range of rehabilitative services, including mental health and substance abuse treatment. ****
This article was written by mental health professionals so I would expect them to find boot camps to be harsh, I agree with them, but it may be a little biased.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Another WWASP death
« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2006, 09:33:00 PM »

A parent needs to take responsibility for raising their own kid. If they really are honest to god that scared, there are far better options than these places. Including doing nothing. primum non nocere ****  

If you send your kid to a program who has a drug problem, and you get back a person who still has a drug problem and is now also dealing with abuse/trauma issues, that is worse than just having a drug problem.  I agree, "doing nothing" is probably better than calling WWASP.  If you're on this site, you know the deal, and you're sadistic if you actually sleep at night knowing your kid is at a WWASP program.