Author Topic: Anyone grateful for the time at Spring Creek Lodge?  (Read 13709 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Anyone grateful for the time at Spring Creek Lodge?
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »
On 2005-12-20 10:29:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-12-20 10:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Is there such a place where they keep him but have family therapy on top of the drug issues

so he can re bond with his family. I tried looking but I am having a hard time finding anything?"

Yea, its called inpatient rehabilitation treatment center.  The same places that offer outpatient, usually offer inpatient.  I had a very close friend who went through outpatient substance abuse treatment, continued in school, graduated, and is on to college.  It does work, if the individual wants it to work.  What makes you think your friend wouldn't succeed in outpatient treatment?  Quit thinking for him and his family - let him think for himself."

MY BROTHER WENT THROUGH OUTPATIENT IT TOOK AN IN PATIENT PLACE TO HELP HIM. MOST DRUGS AND SOME FRIENDS MAKE IT HARD TO BE ABLE TO THINK FOR YOURSELF. WHEN HE WAS IN THE INPATIENT CENTER THEY HAD NO THERAPY FOR HIS FAMILY TO GO THROUGH WITH HIM. I BELIEVE HE ALSO NEEDS TO RE-BOND WITH HIS FAMILY HE IS AT A HARD AGE RIGHT NOW AND NOTHING GOOD CAN COME FROM WALKING AWAY FROM A LOVING FAMILY. I THINK HE HAS FAMILY ISSUES HE HASN'T WORKED OUT AND SHOULD. AS FAR AS THINKING FOR HIM HOW HE IS LOCKED UP HE HAS KNOW IDEA I AM ASKING QUESTIONS. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HIM GET THE HELP HE NEEDS AND IF THIS PLACE IS AS BAD AS YOU SAY THEN IT ISN'T WHAT HE NEEDS. IF I CAN FIND I GOOD PLACE MAYBE IS PARENTS WOULD MOVE HIM. SORRY IF NOBODY CARED TO HELP YOU WHEN YOU WERE IN THERE IF YOU WERE MAYBE YOU WOULDN'T BE SO ANGRY IF SOMEONE DID. SO I REALLY DON'T THINK HE WOULD CARE
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2005, 02:05:00 PM »
On 2005-12-20 10:59:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

IF I CAN FIND I GOOD PLACE MAYBE IS PARENTS WOULD MOVE HIM.

If his parents remove him then they would be admitting they made a horrible mistake - why would they do that?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »
Please hit your caps key.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »

MY BROTHER WENT THROUGH OUTPATIENT IT TOOK AN IN PATIENT PLACE TO HELP HIM. MOST DRUGS AND SOME FRIENDS MAKE IT HARD TO BE ABLE TO THINK FOR YOURSELF. WHEN HE WAS IN THE INPATIENT CENTER THEY HAD NO THERAPY FOR HIS FAMILY TO GO THROUGH WITH HIM. I BELIEVE HE ALSO NEEDS TO RE-BOND WITH HIS FAMILY HE IS AT A HARD AGE RIGHT NOW AND NOTHING GOOD CAN COME FROM WALKING AWAY FROM A LOVING FAMILY. I THINK HE HAS FAMILY ISSUES HE HASN'T WORKED OUT AND SHOULD. AS FAR AS THINKING FOR HIM HOW HE IS LOCKED UP HE HAS KNOW IDEA I AM ASKING QUESTIONS. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HIM GET THE HELP HE NEEDS AND IF THIS PLACE IS AS BAD AS YOU SAY THEN IT ISN'T WHAT HE NEEDS. IF I CAN FIND I GOOD PLACE MAYBE IS PARENTS WOULD MOVE HIM. SORRY IF NOBODY CARED TO HELP YOU WHEN YOU WERE IN THERE IF YOU WERE MAYBE YOU WOULDN'T BE SO ANGRY IF SOMEONE DID. SO I REALLY DON'T THINK HE WOULD CARE"

Please, the caps lock!!!

He's had about all the 'help' he can stand.   Tell his parents to STOP HELPING cause its actually HURTING.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »
On 2005-12-20 10:58:00, Anonymous wrote:

"First, unlock you caps.  Its annoying and very difficult to read.

Second, I have kids.  Yes, they can stay home after they turn 18 but it is NOT my job to dictate what he/she should or shouldn't do with their lives.  Both of mine are over 18 and some of the years leading up to that milestone were pretty scary but trying to force them to adopt my POV is a waste of time.  There is a reason why kids move out.  There is a reason why they become a little nuts for a while.  Its called cutting the apron strings, or finding their own autonomy.  There is an incredibly fine line between parenting and control nowadays.  Quite scary if you ask me.  Most kids go through some sort of insane period for a while and most of them grow out of in on their own (even if they do scare the shit out of their parents while going thru said period).  Parents need to stop trying to create these little carbon copies of themselves, or Stepford kids that adhere to the perceived 'norm'.  

Of course I'll never stop being a parent, but I know where my limitations are and should be."

I cant say what I will do when my kids hit that age. I hope I never have to make this decision. mine are young. All I do know is they are good parents. I know I had to learn for myself my parents didnt know what I was doing and still don't. I was the youngest I believe they gave up by the time they got to me. I can't tell his parents what to do it has to be there decision I was hoping to find out something I didnt know here like a family camp or something. There other 2 kids are older and have moved out I believe that is there limitations they are still there parents but they are now adults. I can't speak for them but I believe they try as long as they are under age and resposible for them. they dont try to control there lifes. Sorry about the caps I am at work and I have to use them. So they are always on.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »
On 2005-12-20 10:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"You can't make someone quit using drugs, they have to WANT to quit.  If you want him locked up somewhere, then I guess leave him at SCL, or better yet, Jail!  He is not a child, you can't pick his friends for him.  He needs to be accountable for his own decisions.  Are they going to want to control what he does, who he sees when he is 20? 30? 40?  Sometimes, you just have to let people make their mistakes and learn from them.  "

I completely agree. Especially after he leaves the program. You approach him with another one, and it might not go as expected.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »
On 2005-12-20 11:05:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

"

IF I CAN FIND I GOOD PLACE MAYBE IS PARENTS WOULD MOVE HIM.

If his parents remove him then they would be admitting they made a horrible mistake - why would they do that?"

Because with i bet alot of parents they have learned more about this program from sites like this that makes them unsure if this is the place for him. and they do want what is best for him. a good person can admit when they are wrong. but at this point they are not sure.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
On 2005-12-20 11:11:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-12-20 10:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"You can't make someone quit using drugs, they have to WANT to quit.  If you want him locked up somewhere, then I guess leave him at SCL, or better yet, Jail!  He is not a child, you can't pick his friends for him.  He needs to be accountable for his own decisions.  Are they going to want to control what he does, who he sees when he is 20? 30? 40?  Sometimes, you just have to let people make their mistakes and learn from them.  "

I completely agree. Especially after he leaves the program. You approach him with another one, and it might not go as expected."

Approach him with another what?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2005, 02:16:00 PM »
On 2005-12-20 11:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

Approach him with another what?"

Program.  Can you believe it??

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2005, 02:19:00 PM »
You said he had two older brothers that moved out, any younger siblings?  I hope, if there is, the parents realize that the younger kids see what is happening and it will affect them, too.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »
On 2005-12-20 11:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-12-20 11:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

Approach him with another what?"

Program.  Can you believe it??"

If it was a program they were there with him also. I think that would show him they care to help him and themselves and are willing to give up there time and life to be a part of his life. All parent make mistakes and so do kids. wouldnt this kind of put them on the same level instead of him feeling like everyone is only coming down on him?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2005, 02:23:00 PM »
On 2005-12-20 11:19:00, Anonymous wrote:

"You said he had two older brothers that moved out, any younger siblings?  I hope, if there is, the parents realize that the younger kids see what is happening and it will affect them, too."

No younger kids thank god

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2005, 02:28:00 PM »
On 2005-12-20 11:22:00, Anonymous wrote:

If it was a program they were there with him also. I think that would show him they care to help him and themselves and are willing to give up there time and life to be a part of his life. All parent make mistakes and so do kids. wouldnt this kind of put them on the same level instead of him feeling like everyone is only coming down on him?"

Yeah, well theoretically that's what the programs would have you think.  When you delve a little deeper into how they really work and how the 'change' the kids damn druggie ways you realize how completely controlling and sadistic it is.  The kid is put under a microscope and any mistakes he makes are reacted to vehemently.  The reactions of pro-program parents is what is more damaging, not the actual act of rebellion that the kid is engaging in (no, I'm not saying that rebellion doesn't have its dangers too, just not nearly as deep and lasting as the reactions to that rebellion).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2005, 02:34:00 PM »
National Mental Health Association report on bootcamps.

http://www.nmha.org/children/justjuv/bootcamp.cfm

Are boot camps effective?

Boot camps do not reduce recidivism. Numerous studies of adult and juvenile boot camps have shown that graduates do no better in terms of recidivism than offenders who were incarcerated or, in some cases, than those sentenced to regular probation supervision. In fact, some researchers have found that boot camp graduates are more likely to be re-arrested or are re-arrested more quickly than other offenders.

Boot camps may not be cost effective. Although some boot camps enable jurisdictions to save money because youth serve shorter sentences, others have found that the extra costs of operating boot camps outweigh the benefits. For example, boot camps tend to be more labor intensive and more expensive to operate. If youth are sentenced to a boot camp when they could have been placed in probation or a community-based program, jurisdictions are actually losing money.

Experts agree that a confrontational approach is not appropriate. Most correctional and military experts agree that a confrontational model, employing tactics of intimidation and humiliation, is counterproductive for most youth in the juvenile justice system. The use of this kind of model has led to disturbing incidents of abuse. For youth of color (who represent the vast majority of the juveniles sentenced to boot camps)-as well as for youth with emotional, behavioral, or learning problems-degrading tactics may be particularly inappropriate and potentially damaging. The bullying style and aggressive interactions that characterize the boot camp environment fail to model the pro-social behavior and development of empathy that these youth really need to learn.

Positive changes demonstrated while in the program may not last when a youth returns to his community. Many adult and juvenile offenders sentenced to boot camps report that the program is helpful to them and they feel more positive about their futures. It is unclear, however, whether these attitudinal changes persist after youth leave the boot camp, or whether they are related to actual changes in behavior once a youth returns to his community. Without significant therapeutic intervention while in the program, as well as specialized aftercare following release, boot camp programs have been consistently unsuccessful in "rehabilitating" juvenile or adult offenders.

Boot camps are not a "quick fix." Most boot camps have high drop-out rates (as many as half fail to graduate in some programs), and staff in at least one juvenile program have expressed concern that too many youth lack the maturity and self-control to succeed in a military-style program. After leaving boot camp, youth are not prepared for productive lives in their communities. The Office of Justice Programs of the U.S. Department of Justice has suggested that, for boot camps to be effective, they must incorporate a full range of rehabilitative services and programs, including education, substance abuse treatment, individualized case management, and mental health care. Clearly, the idea of "shock incarceration" as a tough, low-cost alternative to more intensive juvenile justice programming has not been borne out by our 15 years of experience with boot camps across the country.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
this is the most fucked up thread ive seen...

quotes people... quotes