Author Topic: Hyde School, The Most Truthful Informative Post I have Seen  (Read 43171 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hyde School, The Most Truthful Informative Post I have Seen
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2006, 01:27:00 AM »
Thank you for setting the record straight on the comparison between a "prep school" and a school for troubled kids.  I have to laugh when Hyde portrays themselves as a college prep!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2006, 08:47:00 AM »
Thank you for the extensive list of the successes of the Phillips Academys.

Hyde School is in business to take care of the Exeter and Andover grad's offspring...who have become screwed up because of their parents'  selfish, self-centered lifestyles.

Seriously, almost all of those people you listed knew they were headed to "Prep" school long before they rolled in with their nanny or butler on the first day of freshman year.  The kids that go to Hyde never planned on a boarding school experience and probably would have ended up at ITT Tech if it wasn't for their Hyde expereince.  There have been a long list of very famous and successful people that have participayed at Hyde School, the difference is that they were parent's of kids who were products of their elder's narrasistic lifestyles.

Offline OKB4RMA

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »
1. Show me the list of Successful Hyde graduates...something a little more than the Guy who is a comedian living in Hollywood (I'd sure love to go film his living situation and show you what "supposed success is like here in Hollywood :lol: )or the other kid with his letter of intent to play DivII Soccer.

2. Show me a ratio of Hyde students that enroll to Hyde Students that graduate and go on to College...show me a list of those colleges also.  Any TRUE prep school would be MORE THAN HAPPY to divulge that information...unless they actually are more of a treatment program than a school and hide behind the veil of "client/patient confidentiality)

3. List the resources that are available to the students at Hyde. You know...the ones that cost money. What is the science lab like? Is there a planetarium? How many tennis courts? Soccer Fields? etc. etc. etc.

4. Tell me the cost of Hyde's program.  Tell me about the additional costs that a parent may incur while their child is attending.

5. Describe...in detail...the weekly menu that a Hyde child eats.

6.  Tell me the amount of physical labor that the children at Hyde have to do (if any)...and if they do...who benefits from their free labor? (please don't tell me about the children benefitting by learning a "good work ethic"...that's not what I'm asking)

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »
On 2006-02-24 12:45:00, OKB4RMA wrote:

3. List the resources that are available to the students at Hyde. You know...the ones that cost money. What is the science lab like? Is there a planetarium? How many tennis courts? Soccer Fields? etc. etc. etc.

Big Olympic style gym and a pretty good outdoor track in Bath. Both new in '76. Old classrooms in the back of the Mansion. Priority...Sports!

Food was actually not that bad. Of course if you wrestled in the winter you didn't dare eat much of it, might not make weight. Priority...Sports!

Religion is just mind control.
--George Carlin, comedian

Offline OKB4RMA

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »
On 2006-02-27 11:48:00, tommyfromhyde1 wrote:

"

Big Olympic style gym and a pretty good outdoor track in Bath. Both new in '76. Old classrooms in the back of the Mansion. Priority...Sports!

Food was actually not that bad. Of course if you wrestled in the winter you didn't dare eat much of it, might not make weight. Priority...Sports!

Religion is just mind control.
--George Carlin, comedian

"

I was hoping to have more than 1/6 of my questions answered...but thus far...I'm not very impressed. :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2006, 11:29:00 AM »

"1. Show me the list of Successful Hyde graduates...something a little more than the Guy who is a comedian living in Hollywood (I'd sure love to go film his living situation and show you what "supposed success is like here in Hollywood :lol: )or the other kid with his letter of intent to play DivII Soccer.

2. Show me a ratio of Hyde students that enroll to Hyde Students that graduate and go on to College...show me a list of those colleges also.  Any TRUE prep school would be MORE THAN HAPPY to divulge that information...unless they actually are more of a treatment program than a school and hide behind the veil of "client/patient confidentiality)

4. Tell me the cost of Hyde's program.  Tell me about the additional costs that a parent may incur while their child is attending.

6.  Tell me the amount of physical labor that the children at Hyde have to do (if any)...and if they do...who benefits from their free labor? (please don't tell me about the children benefitting by learning a "good work ethic"...that's not what I'm asking)

"

1.  Sorry, I can't show you a long list of "successful graduating Hyde Students" because it doesn't exist.  Hyde's percentage of students who go on to live successful lives is very small and many of those successes are not due to Hyde, but to maturity.

2.  The ratio of students who enroll and then graduate and go to college is also very low.  These are the facts about Hyde's student population.
     a.)  Students enroll and then drop out after their first year
     b.)  Students enroll, Hyde holds them back a year for "attitude" to get another years tuition from the parent and will sometimes graduate, sometimes not
     c.)  Students enroll in Hyde, Hyde gets a full years tuition, then encourages the family to drop out or will actually kick a family out. Hyde keeps the money
     d)   Student enrolls in Hyde, proceeds to be a senior, gets put on 2-4 for having sex, (with a minor) gets on 2-4 again for doing steroids, is threatened that he won't graduate, then at last minute Hyde gives that wonderful and honorable diploma!!  All is well, and at graduation boys are ordered to shake Joe Gauld's hand, girls must give him kiss on cheek!
     e.)  Student was accepted to Community College after Hyde helps submit 10 applications to any school that will take them.  Student either never attends, or attends and drops out.
     f.)  Student at some point grows up on their own!!  Hyde has nothing to do with the growth of this typical student! End of story!

3.  Resources available at Hyde are few and far between.  New "Scholars program" but mostly unqualified teachers and is equivalent to regular class in normal school.  Many stories of kids going back to public or private school and teachers being appalled at the lack of education from Hyde.  As far as extra programs that cost money, Hyde has many.  If Hyde thinks you have an "attitude problem" they will recommend that your child go to their summer program at a hefty cost!  Their are also Wilderness Programs and Family Renewal Programs all at a cost to break your bank!  In the end, it does no good.

4.  Don't know the exact tuition now, but maybe someone who is familiar with Hyde lately can provide this.  I understand that it ends up being around $45,000 plus transportation not only for students, but parents who are required to go up to Hyde at least three times per year.  

5.  When I was at Hyde the food was edible other than when a student went on 2-4.  If you were on 2-4 you were not allowed to have any hot food.  Also when we had Family Weekends we got fed much better food.  Meal time was very quick.  Felt like I couldn't digest my food before running off to get to class.

6.  Only one benefiting from free physical labor is school. 2-4 can sometimes be enjoyable as we didn't have to go to class for a week at a time, although did have to wake up very early which was not a big deal.  Got behind in class and seldom could make it up, but education is not a priority at Hyde anyway, so no sweat.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2006, 02:24:00 PM »
More importantly, what can we do to try and help Hyde?  How can we make the board at Hyde see that the Gauld Family is ruining the reputation of what could be a good school if run by qualified educators who truly know the definition of Truth Over Harmony.

Hyde's principles are good and the concept is even better, so question is, can any of us change the terrible things that are going on behind the doors at Hyde? Do any of you have any suggestions other than this internet board that gets our complaints off our chests.  Seems like we could be doing more to change things.

Thoughts?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2006, 03:35:00 PM »
On 2006-02-28 11:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"More importantly, what can we do to try and help Hyde?  How can we make the board at Hyde see that the Gauld Family is ruining the reputation of what could be a good school if run by qualified educators who truly know the definition of Truth Over Harmony.

Hyde's principles are good and the concept is even better, so question is, can any of us change the terrible things that are going on behind the doors at Hyde? Do any of you have any suggestions other than this internet board that gets our complaints off our chests.  Seems like we could be doing more to change things.

Thoughts?"

I wholeheartedly agree that it would be great to bring about much needed change at Hyde.  The school is full of serious shortcomings and problems.  But, to bring about real change, the first step would be for the people who run Hyde to admit they have these serious problems, acknowledge the need for change, and invite people to make suggestions.  In all the years I've been involved with Hyde I've NEVER seen the kind of openess and honesty.  They speak a good game about truth over harmony, but much of the time they don't live it.  The reality is that there's so much inbreeding and defensive arrogance at Hyde that it's unlikely that the mold will change anytime soon.  I'm afraid we're beating our heads against the wall.  The only hope is that enrollments will drop because of bad publicity, and maybe that will force Hyde staff to admit they've got serious problems.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2006, 11:23:00 PM »
On 2006-02-28 12:35:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"More importantly, what can we do to try and help Hyde?  How can we make the board at Hyde see that the Gauld Family is ruining the reputation of what could be a good school if run by qualified educators who truly know the definition of Truth Over Harmony.

Thoughts?"

I wholeheartedly agree that it would be great to bring about much needed change at Hyde.  The school is full of serious shortcomings and problems.  But, to bring about real change, the first step would be for the people who run Hyde to admit they have these serious problems, acknowledge the need for change, and invite people to make suggestions.  In all the years I've been involved with Hyde I've NEVER seen the kind of openess and honesty.  They speak a good game about truth over harmony, but much of the time they don't live it.  The reality is that there's so much inbreeding and defensive arrogance at Hyde that it's unlikely that the mold will change anytime soon.  I'm afraid we're beating our heads against the wall.  The only hope is that enrollments will drop because of bad publicity, and maybe that will force Hyde staff to admit they've got serious problems."

My gosh, I had to read this post twice to try to remember if I possibly wrote it. You couldn't have expressed my sentiments more accurately. There seem to be more and more people joining this board who have all had the same experiences.

Someone mentioned something about writing our stories.  I think this is a great idea and will check it out and post mine.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2006, 06:27:00 PM »

Thoughts?"

Bring back Ed Legg!

Larry Kennedy

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2006, 11:51:00 PM »
On 2006-03-07 15:27:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

Thoughts?"

Bring back Ed Legg!

Larry Kennedy"

Who is Ed Legg and are you related to the Kennedy who used to facilitate as an Alumni parent?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2006, 06:26:00 PM »
On 2006-03-07 20:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-03-07 15:27:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

Thoughts?"

Bring back Ed Legg!

Larry Kennedy"

Who is Ed Legg and are you related to the Kennedy who used to facilitate as an Alumni parent? "

Ed Legg was the headmaster back "in the day." Larry was kind of like, well if you have seen Austin Powers, Ed's Minnie Me. Both from Texas. Legg was 6'something and Larry was 5'2" in high heels. There were rumors of malfesance by Larry that ciruclated at the time. He was a book keeper of some sort as well as the most piss poor History teacher that ever created chalk dust.

Not really Larry Kennedy

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2006, 08:50:00 PM »
This week I had a conversation with a parent who heard about Hyde and wanted some feedback about it.  The parent had heard very mixed things about Hyde, mostly negative.  I shared our family's experience and encouraged the parent to look for alternatives to Hyde.  Based on the parent's description of the child's needs and mental health issues, I think Hyde would be a disaster.  The parent said that my feedback was consistent with what she had heard from a number other people.  She's now looking for other schools to pursue (with the advice of an educational consultant).

During the conversation the parent said that Hyde now expects parents to make a two-year commitment.  Is that true?  If so, when did that start?  If it's true, I guess Hyde says it is doing this because it doesn't think it can have an impact in just one year.  Or, is this merely Hyde's thinly disguised ploy to lock in 2 years' worth of tuition and fees and a way to combat the high attrition rate?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2006, 11:19:00 PM »
On 2006-03-09 17:50:00, Anonymous wrote:

"This week I had a conversation with a parent who heard about Hyde and wanted some feedback about it.  The parent had heard very mixed things about Hyde, mostly negative.  I shared our family's experience and encouraged the parent to look for alternatives to Hyde.  Based on the parent's description of the child's needs and mental health issues, I think Hyde would be a disaster.  The parent said that my feedback was consistent with what she had heard from a number other people.  She's now looking for other schools to pursue (with the advice of an educational consultant).

During the conversation the parent said that Hyde now expects parents to make a two-year commitment.  Is that true?  If so, when did that start?  If it's true, I guess Hyde says it is doing this because it doesn't think it can have an impact in just one year.  Or, is this merely Hyde's thinly disguised ploy to lock in 2 years' worth of tuition and fees and a way to combat the high attrition rate?"

I was at hyde 30 years ago.  Hyde was not perfect. I was there when Tommy was there.  I can understand why Tommy feels the way he does. Henry could be a real prick.  Having Joe get in your face and scream at you was not theraputic to any degree IMHO. I saw a number of kids fail.  Hyde worked for me. I found an inner strength and an ablity to persever in my experiences there.  I find the rants about how the place completely sucks, fatuious and closed minded. I am sorry if some of the posts I made on this board aid in what seem to be an effort to make trash about hyde google-able.  I know that there is at least one person with whom I went to hyde with that reads this board. I want you to know that I respect your dedication to your belief in Hyde. I offer my appologies if what I have posted here has offended you.
 Hyde had and still has a profound positive effect on my life.  

Sid

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »
On 2006-03-10 20:19:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-03-09 17:50:00, Anonymous wrote:

"This week I had a conversation with a parent who heard about Hyde and wanted some feedback about it.  The parent had heard very mixed things about Hyde, mostly negative.  I shared our family's experience and encouraged the parent to look for alternatives to Hyde.  Based on the parent's description of the child's needs and mental health issues, I think Hyde would be a disaster.  The parent said that my feedback was consistent with what she had heard from a number other people.  She's now looking for other schools to pursue (with the advice of an educational consultant).

During the conversation the parent said that Hyde now expects parents to make a two-year commitment.  Is that true?  If so, when did that start?  If it's true, I guess Hyde says it is doing this because it doesn't think it can have an impact in just one year.  Or, is this merely Hyde's thinly disguised ploy to lock in 2 years' worth of tuition and fees and a way to combat the high attrition rate?"

I was at hyde 30 years ago.  Hyde was not perfect. I was there when Tommy was there.  I can understand why Tommy feels the way he does. Henry could be a real prick.  Having Joe get in your face and scream at you was not theraputic to any degree IMHO. I saw a number of kids fail.  Hyde worked for me. I found an inner strength and an ablity to persever in my experiences there.  I find the rants about how the place completely sucks, fatuious and closed minded. I am sorry if some of the posts I made on this board aid in what seem to be an effort to make trash about hyde google-able.  I know that there is at least one person with whom I went to hyde with that reads this board. I want you to know that I respect your dedication to your belief in Hyde. I offer my appologies if what I have posted here has offended you.

Hyde had and still has a profound positive effect on my life.  

Sid"

I appreciate all of your input and am happy Hyde had a positive affect on you, but please understand you were there 30 years ago so it is hard to judge what Hyde is now.  

You state that the old headmaster could be "a real prick."  You also state that some of the ways Hyde and Joe Gauld handled things was far from therapuetic. Not only can Hyde NOT be therapuetic, it can be harmful to some. Please understand that although you might have been a strong kid who could get through Hyde, many kids are not as strong as you and Hyde can be quite damaging.  Every child is different and has different issues and the "one size fits all" at Hyde does not work for many.

Hyde is a much bigger program now and the type of student Hyde enrolls might be different from when you were there.  I think it is unfair to state that some of these posts are by "closed minded" people.  We are real people who went to Hyde and whose lives were affected in a negative way. This is not to say that there were things gained from Hyde, but overall IMHO Hyde is really messed up and most of the people who have worked at Hyde for years are even more messed up.  The staff at Hyde need their own program.  I am sorry, but I don't want to send my future children to a place that is run by those loonies~!

Your input is important and I appreciate it and don't discount anything that happened to you while you were at Hyde, so please understand how I feel and don't discount my feelings.