Author Topic: Used to teach at CEDU middle and high school  (Read 25309 times)

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
Used to teach at CEDU middle and high school
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »
thank you to whomever it was that posted the list of cult tactics. And the discussion since has been intruiging. Castle makes an interesting point in trying to defing "being a a cult", and "acting like a cult". I'll ask him to keep in mind that it would be fair to say a %5 turnover rate of grads becoming staff at one institution or another within a few years. I even thought about it. So there were elements that indicate that if you summitted, you were always welcome back. That there weren't more "cedu" geared groups and support in different areas of the country post cedu says much. It shows how much they really cared about us as people, not dollars, and ALSO it does show that they did NOT practice true retention tactics. I conceed to that. But some people were not so strong as to ever find the strength to carry on from points in their lives lends itself to damage inflicted at such a distinguishing developmental period of life. That it practiced as a cult is in many ways incontravertable. That it was in other periods an "emotional growth boarding school", which is how I described it to people for like 10 years- is also true. What difference does it make? They were tinkering with people- young people from diverse backgrounds, supposedly there for being struggling or troubled- under the pretenses of KNOWING what was right. If you didn't agree you didn't make it through. You had to succomb when I was there. There weren't like regular boarding school antics or underground at all, really. It was totalitarian. That, in it's all encomopassing shell should be enough to show that students, and ex- studnets of these schools WILL and DO have a harder time reintegrating into "the real world".

To the persons who doubt the existance of PTSD in former students of these schools (while I was there)I have a couple of comments:

Factual information is not available and if it were I am confident that if interviewed or asked to fill out yes/no questionaires would tally to show that methods were employed that dinkered with their social funtioning. Ex-students or staff who are dead of overdosing and suicide would show that it has a higher percentage than most "boarding schools" in the country.

Though I cannot provide evidence of my claim, I will back it up passionately with a hearty "FUCK YOU", and come over there to your house and bleed all over your persian in the name of abuses incurred inside my adolescent mind, ya asshole.

-blownaway
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2005, 12:15:00 PM »
" If it was "emotional growth" there should have been QUALIFIED counselors or therapist to handle kids INDIVIDUALLY. Since it was not individualized and we all went through this same "programming" don't you think that is a little bit suspicious? Considering the fact that mental health is based on person to person basis and not all people are the same. I went there and anyone else who went there knew in their gut what they were doing was wrong and just flat out wierd. "

Very good point!  Why weren't there any QUALIFIED AND EDUCATED WITH PROPER DEGREES staff members that worked as facilitors and house-heads working there?  And why wasn't it taught on an individual student to student platform, were we really all there to be fixed of the same problem, we all went there for different reasons, all people are differnt, all minds are different but one way to fix everything for everyone.  Not right at all.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2005, 01:50:00 PM »
Nice that my comments on PTSD occurrence at these schools gave you an opportunity to vent bucko.  

However a "hearty fuck you" really doesn't substitute for actual proof, that is statistically sound or even any statistical information.  I repeat: where is the proof that the majority of emotional growth schools attendees have PTSD?

It appear the answer is that there is no such proof.  And that your reaction to being called on logically is to have a little temper tantrum and toss around the "F" word, volunteer to bleed on people. etc.  

Grow up little fella.  It's legitimate to ask for facts.  That's how people, grown up mature people sort out what is true and what is ranting.

Hear you're a "writer" BlownAway.  You know, being a "writer" can be something useful and interesting, calling yourself a "writer" can also be a never-ending cover for not accomplishing much is life.  Cuz you're in the process of coming up with a best-seller, right?  You're just not quite there yet.

Reminds me of the pothead who sits at home staring at the tube all day and telling everyone he's studying the dynamics of TV today because he's going to write a script for a new blockbuster TV series.

Blown--hey what got "blownaway up there in Idaho? Was it your brains by any chance? Or maybe some lower part of your anatomy by one of your dorm mate for example?  

If your little snit earlier is an example of your "writing" here's five kind words for you: DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2005, 02:05:00 PM »
You really hurt my feelings. It's ok. I forgive you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »
On 2005-12-23 10:50:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Nice that my comments on PTSD occurrence at these schools gave you an opportunity to vent bucko.  

However a "hearty fuck you" really doesn't substitute for actual proof, that is statistically sound or even any statistical information.  I repeat: where is the proof that the majority of emotional growth schools attendees have PTSD?

It appear the answer is that there is no such proof.  And that your reaction to being called on logically is to have a little temper tantrum and toss around the "F" word, volunteer to bleed on people. etc.  

Grow up little fella.  It's legitimate to ask for facts.  That's how people, grown up mature people sort out what is true and what is ranting.

Hear you're a "writer" BlownAway.  You know, being a "writer" can be something useful and interesting, calling yourself a "writer" can also be a never-ending cover for not accomplishing much is life.  Cuz you're in the process of coming up with a best-seller, right?  You're just not quite there yet.

Reminds me of the pothead who sits at home staring at the tube all day and telling everyone he's studying the dynamics of TV today because he's going to write a script for a new blockbuster TV series.

Blown--hey what got "blownaway up there in Idaho? Was it your brains by any chance? Or maybe some lower part of your anatomy by one of your dorm mate for example?  

If your little snit earlier is an example of your "writing" here's five kind words for you: DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB""

Wow those are some pretty heavy words to use.  Sounds like an indictment in a rap.  Yeah, lets tear someone down and make them feel like shit about themselves, oh the Cedu way.  You sure sound like a underqualified staff member from Cedu who ran raps and who knows absolutely nothing about how to treat people let alone kids.  Really nice support words for someone who might have PTSD, or is it that tough love bullshit that Cedu taught.

Blownaway, I feel for you.  Keep on writing and make a difference in the world!  Write a book and expose these WWASP schools for the abusive fraunds they are. As for dipshit who wrote the quote and who seems to know everything we don't want to hear your bullshit cedu tactics. You can sit with that and lets move on.

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2005, 02:08:00 PM »
On 2005-12-23 08:20:00, blownawaytheidahoway wrote:

I'll ask him to keep in mind that it would be fair to say a %5 turnover rate of grads becoming staff at one institution or another within a few years.

Like this one posting to me.
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2005, 02:27:00 PM »
probably the animal fucker, blownaway.
lol

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2005, 02:50:00 PM »
On 2005-12-22 18:25:00, sorry... try another castle wrote:

"I agree that the CEDU schools were fucked up, but I believe it is missing some key components that would make it a cult.

1. Cults try to keep you with them forever. At CEDU, you did eventually graduate. When I was there, it was very easy to get kicked out, even. However, I heard that later on, it became more difficult, and kids would get shuttled around between schools, which makes it much more cult-like.

2. Cults deprive you of nutritional sustenance. Most of them will provide you with low protein meals that you can barely get by on. RMA had huge meals. You needed them in order to do the physical labor.

3. Cult members would "witness" others to try to join. While educational consultants would get paid to refer a parent to CEDU schools, it lacks the fervor that normally comes along with true cult members trying to recruit followers. Especially since the students were not a part of this process. They would sing the praises during tours, sure, but they were not compensated. Nor would they be so wrapped up in the process that they would adamantly talk to friends on the outside, trying to get them to join. The very structure of the school prohibited students from speaking to anyone on the outside about anything, which includes recruitment. They were not out on the street passing out pamphlets, nor were they pressured to reach a recruitment quota that ensured them better status within the cult. This, however, may have changed after I left. I don't know.

As a result, I found the schools to be very cult-like and it used cult tactics, but I don't believe it to be an actual cult, IMO. Mainly because of point 1. You did eventually graduate, and one of the key things about cults is that they want you with them indefinitely. For instance, many kids stayed with Synanon indefinitely by choice, and if memory serves, there was no structure in which you proceeded your way through the program until you reached a point where you graduated, unlike CEDU, where, after the Summit, it was time for you to go.

As for paranoia, several organizations classify it as a cult. Those who experienced CEDU's mental brutality, that sought to attack the young mind at such a tender developing age and then viciously mutilated into some stepford children. Kids are kids and they make mistakes just like adults only they don't know better.

Which organizations? I'm curious. I know that ISACCORP doesn't even formally have the CEDU schools on their watch list. This is all they mention:

"The CEDU Schools were founded by Mel Wasserman after he spent time sponsoring a participant of Synanon. Experts have classified Synanon as a cult as well.

Former students of the CEDU schools have complained of "brainwashing" and other cult tactics."

(Link: http://www.isaccorp.org/cults.html )

All it does is quote alumni. CEDU is not on their big watch list of schools to avoid. (List here: http://www.isaccorp.org/watchlist.html )It used to have King George on there, but I just checked and it was taken off. I have no idea why none of the CEDU schools are listed, because they really need to be. It's not because they closed, either, because they list Tranquility Bay on there, and mention that it is closed, but trying to reopen. And King George is also still open.

...[ This Message was edited by: sorry... try another castle on 2005-12-22 18:27 ][ This Message was edited by: sorry... try another castle on 2005-12-22 18:28 ]"

Cults usually have more than one following and aren't always the religious variety, WWASP schools are cultish.

http://www.isaccorp.org/documentsam.html

Fact remains it still stems from Straight and Synanon, which is definately classified as a cult.  Read some postings and do a little research they have PTSD.  If you went there as a student you just might too.  If you didn't you have NO IDEA what your talking about!

Another fact to keep in mind is that it was extremely abusive to the core.  And that is just wrong on so many levels.  So before we dismiss the fact it was a cult lets look at the tactics invovled they seem cultish, there are so many and that posting on all the signs speaks for itself.  If you are denied family and friend contact, sleep depervation, unusual terminolgy, confrontation therapy, and the fact that no one was license in the psychology realm who did do the "therapy", and it was all about the money then that seems like a cult to me.  Brainwashing and programming come to mind too and those are tactics of a cult.  No one was truly happy there, and if they were they were disillusioned by the bullshit programming.  Let me ask you this, after all that that we all went through WHAT DID WE EVEN GET FROM CEDU EXCEPT MORE CONFUSION? WHAT TEACHINGS THERE EVEN HELP US IN THE OUTSIDE WORLD?  A REAL school would have prepared us acedemically for college and for our future adult lives.  Cedu crushed our future and left us with confusion and emotional trama.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2005, 03:46:00 PM »
Who ever doubts that Cedu causes PTSD just come and talk to me.  I put the fact out on the table in a earlier post

Offline former CEDU therapist

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2005, 11:08:00 PM »
I intend you no ill will. I did report to the local authorities.

I said I reported to the state. That is Children's Services.

Please read my post carefully.

You cannot implement a citizens' arrest for the things I saw.

I never, ever implied that my experiences were equivalent to that of the students. That would be inappropriate and disrespectful.

I did not imply that anyone was attacking me. I'm kind of feeling that way now, though!

I am sorry for your experience but I am not responsible for it. I had a family to support. As soon as I saw what was going on, I started looking for a job, and I reported the place. Very few employees have the courage to do that... even though I was not a CEDU employee, I reported with the assistance of an attorney. It was pretty scary to me.

I did everything I could do to help those kids. When I was fired, there was an epidemic of parents pulling kids. That is interesting to me.

No one here has any reason to criticize me or hold ill will toward me. I think it is amazing that with my limited experience, I was hurt by CEDU. My point is that if this happened to me, how much worse was it for the kids? I cannot imagine.

And for the person who says it was not a cult - it was. Cults control your social contacts, restrict your freedom, and feed you information they want you to adopt. Of course there are much worse cults, but that does not diminish the fact that CEDU was a cult. I saw parents who were influenced by it. They were fearful for their kids' futures. They had weekends where they were bullied like the kids. Many of the parents said it was good for them. I explained that they had enendorphin experience and that true enlightenment does not feel the way they felt.

I did some good there. For you to say my saying I was traumatized is "full of shit" is unkind. I am in no way claiming to know what it felt like to be a kid there. You are reading into my post things that are not there.

There is not any ill will in me toward anyone at this site - except for Ottawa, of course. But she appears to be gone.

On 2005-12-22 15:27:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Mr. Therapist I never went on the attack I simply asked if there was a problem then why didn't you do something about it.  If you can face the heat then to bad.  If the state was suspicious and you knew that what they were doing was breaking the law then why didn't go to the local authorities.  Have you ever heard of citzens arrest, or the Department of Children Services.  I am sorry that you did get fired, but to know that were traumatized for your stay there I find to be full of shit.  You were not yelled at 2-3 days week for almost three years. you did not have to rake and haul animal crap, cut wood, and have almost know form of an education.  About 20percent of my so called school credits from Cedu would not transfer and when I graduated I was a grade behind my normal level."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2005, 11:41:00 PM »
Yea, what the fuck was up with cedu teaching classes that didn't mean shit when you went back to a normal high school? Was that supposed to be their way of punishing you for not staying and getting your diploma at cedu?

Fuck all you cedu staff. I don't care if you were trying to help us or not. You're guilty by fucking association. That place couldn't have existed if staff hadn't willingly shown up every day to work.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2005, 12:22:00 AM »
Fact remains it still stems from Straight and Synanon, which is definately classified as a cult. Read some postings and do a little research they have PTSD. If you went there as a student you just might too. If you didn't you have NO IDEA what your talking about!

Actually, I believe I said in that post that I did indeed go there. I wrote

This, however, may have changed after I left. I don't know.

Sorry if you missed that part.

Unless you are asking if I went to straight or synanon, which I did not.

I think, however, that based on the testimony I have heard from people who were in straight, their experience was much harsher and more brutal than what we went through. (I personally think that straight makes CEDU look like a resort spa. But it's also important to note that CEDU went through many incarnations, and my experience may be different from someone who was there in the 90s or 00s. I've heard that when I was there, the program was more coercive and more difficult to resist, but later on after I left there were more accounts of structural abuse, such as the introduction of Ascent and jumpsuits, for example.)

However, that's beside the point as to whether or not CEDU itself was a cult. And furthermore, whether CEDU was a cult or not still does not erase the fact that the experience itself was very disturbing and weird. I want that to be clear, that just because I find the CEDU schools to be missing some key components that would qualify it as a cult, that does not mean that its behavior and practices don't make it any less damaging to many alumni.

In fact, whether it was cult-like and used cult-like tactics only or whether is was a full-blown cult may be a rather moot point, since the results of being in either are so similar. So they didn't keep you around forever and expect you to be a lifetime member residing at a commune. That's good, but so what?

Also, blownaway, you bring up a very good point about students coming back to teach as staff. I had not thought about that. You are right, that there is some retention. But I still wouldn't qualify it as intense or rigorous as say, a lifespring recruiter trying to draw people into the fold. Lifespring was a cult. We used the exact same workshop. However, we didn't have the pyramid scheme and zealous recruitment structure and expectations, nor did we want people to stay forever within the organization, which is what distinguishes CEDU from being a cult, IMO. The tactics were identical, but not the organizational infrastructure. Some people may see this as splitting hairs, but I see it as a huge, fundamental difference.

But like I said before, I don't really think it matters much, because the results on the participants are the same.

As for the PTSD, isn't there going to be a study launched regarding the after affects of people who attended behavior mod schools? I recall that they were gearing up to do a survey. It was in a thread in the troubled teen industry forum, here:

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... =20#130330

The link they referred to is here:
http://cfs.fmhi.usf.edu/cfsnews/2005news/A_START.html

However, I went to that link and didn't find any survey, so I don't know where they are at in terms of getting that going.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2005, 10:43:00 AM »
On 2005-12-22 12:18:00, Son Of Serbia wrote:

"

On 2005-12-22 09:59:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Man, call that shithole cedu what you want, but a cult? Cedu was not a damn cult. Synanon was a cult. Cedu was a damn boarding school. Sure they made you stay up late, eat shitty sandwiches, and yell at the floor 9 (or 8, depending on when you were there) times during your stay. I hardly think that qualifies as a cult. "

Are you serious? Because if you are, then please tell me, how long have you been smoking crack?

The truth is that every part of the Cedu program was inspired by Synanon.  Raps for instance were taken directly from a daily ritual practiced by Synannon's followers called "the Game".  Synanon's founder: Charles E. Deidrich would gather his followers around him and then would proceed to verbally attack anyone he felt was "drifting outside of the group." (ie. thinking for themselves).  In turn, the remaining participants would follow Deidrich in unison, and attack who ever he turned on.  

Does any of this sound familiar to you?  It should!

It is a well known fact that Mel Wasserman lived with Synannon during the sixties, and left with their blessing to start Cedu.  Cedu originally stands for Charles E. Deidrich University, in honor of Mel's mentor.

What was that stupid saying staff always had? Hmm..Oh yeah, "You are what you do, not what you say you do."  Well it seems to me that since

Cedu acts like a cult, then we all should call it one!

[ This Message was edited by: Son Of Serbia on 2005-12-22 12:21 ]"

Ok, it stems from a cult, therefore it IS a cult? That seems to be your logic. Just because a cult inspired CEDU doesn't mean that CEDU is a cult. I'd say the vast majority of cult members are willingly participating in their rituals. On the flipside, the vast majority of cedu students wanted absolutely nothing to do with the program. Those running a cult tend to be sold on its beliefs. But many of the staff at cedu were far from sold. So you can go ahead and keep calling it a cult, and I'll be here thinking that perhaps you are the one on crack.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »
Serb's problem is he just can't accept anyone else's views. No wonder he has so many enemies around here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2005, 01:15:00 PM »
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....IT must be a duck!