Author Topic: Diagnosing Hyde: The Gauld Effect  (Read 16149 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Diagnosing Hyde: The Gauld Effect
« on: December 10, 2005, 04:15:00 PM »
I just had a major insight.  

Background: Many of the comments on this website note that Hyde has some classic cult features.  The article by James Traub about Hyde in the Hoover Institution publication reinforces what many of us have observed during our time at Hyde.  In addition, a couple of people on this website have observed that Joe Gauld has some of the classic features of a cult leader, including narcissism.  (Recently at a Hyde weekend I saw Joe Gauld "hold court" with Hyde parents and do that routine where he goes around the room and "diagnoses" parents and their circumstances, parenting instincts, etc.  I witnessed a horrible incident where Gauld confronted one particular parent, demeaned the parent horribly, and eventually "ordered" the parent to leave.  I couldn't believe Gauld's gall and audacity.  That incident convinced me, more than ever, that Hyde is a very dangerous environment.)

Well, I just came across a document, unexpectedly, that REALLY helps me understand what Joe Gauld is all about.  It's the formal definition of narcissism used by the American Psychiatric Association in its diagnositic manual.  When I read this the lightbulb went on!  For those of you who know Joe Gauld and have watched him in action, observed how he treats Hyde parents and students, how he patronizes and demeans others and draws attention to himself, how he explodes on occasion and arrogantly assumes that he has the answers . . . keep all of this in mind as you read the American Psychiatric Association's definition of narcissistic personality disorder.  I can't believe the overlap between Joe Gauld's profile and this definition.  Here it is (quoted word for word):

--------------------------------------------------

Diagnostic Criteria

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
   2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
   3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
   4. requires excessive admiration
   5. has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
   6. is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
   7. lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
   8. is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
   9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

It has taken my family and me some time to really understand Hyde and its all-too-often destructive influence.  This APA summary has helped me get a handle on what's going on at Hyde.  This makes me more determined than ever to let parents who are considering Hyde know what they'd encounter if they enroll.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Hyde's Attorney

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 04:54:00 PM »
You are a bit too dramatic for my taste. Let's get real here people. You Have TOO much time to divulge such grossly false information. Get  a grip, and get it fast. Ugh, you guys need a new hobby. Hyde's not the problem, look in the mirror for once in your sad life, and take responsibiliy for your own actions. Hard to fathom you nuts.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 05:24:00 PM »
It isn't helpful when you decide to demean people who post on this site.  You come across as an arrogant jerk, which makes it hard to take anything you say seriously.  Say something constructive, Hyde's Attorney, or keep it to yourself.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »
On 2005-12-10 13:54:00, Hyde's Attorney wrote:

"You are a bit too dramatic for my taste. Let's get real here people. You Have TOO much time to divulge such grossly false information. Get  a grip, and get it fast. Ugh, you guys need a new hobby. Hyde's not the problem, look in the mirror for once in your sad life, and take responsibiliy for your own actions. Hard to fathom you nuts."

First, what's the false information?  Second, my life isn't sad.  It's quite wonderful, particularly now that I have a much better understanding of all the reasons to get away from Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 05:28:00 PM »
I witnessed a horrible incident where Gauld confronted one particular parent, demeaned the parent horribly, and eventually "ordered" the parent to leave. I couldn't believe Gauld's gall and audacity. That incident convinced me, more than ever, that Hyde is a very dangerous environment.)

Was this me?? Are you talking about a meeting that occured on November 4th? If so, we've got to talk!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 05:29:00 PM »

"You are a bit too dramatic for my taste. Let's get real here people. You Have TOO much time to divulge such grossly false information. Get  a grip, and get it fast. Ugh, you guys need a new hobby. Hyde's not the problem, look in the mirror for once in your sad life, and take responsibiliy for your own actions. Hard to fathom you nuts."

Each time you post a comment you provide more ammunition for those who want to confirm that Hyde is a destructive environment.  You are doing Hyde more harm than good with your immature comments.  If that's your agenda, you are succeeding.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 05:32:00 PM »

Was I wrong in previous posts when I assumed that you actually represent Hyde in some capacity?  Sure sounds that way.  Tell us who you really are.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 05:40:00 PM »
Ask Joseph Gauld who I am. I'm sure he'd be glad to inform you people exactly who it is that I am.

Offline Hyde's Attorney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »
On 2005-12-10 14:40:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Ask Joseph Gauld who I am. I'm sure he'd be glad to inform you people exactly who it is that I am."
Forgive me, I forgot to sign in, though obviously you knew it was I.

Offline Hyde's Attorney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 05:43:00 PM »
If you nuts have a problem with a business (which is exactly what The Hyde School is) report it to the Better Business Bureau, not this garbage bin!

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 05:45:00 PM »
On 2005-12-10 14:40:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Ask Joseph Gauld who I am. I'm sure he'd be glad to inform you people exactly who it is that I am."

Assuming "Hyde's attorney" forgot to register and this is who wrote the last comment -

Nah, if you're who you say you are, you can inform us yourself.

Offline Hyde's Attorney

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 05:53:00 PM »
The cynical views expressed on here are exaggerated too much for me to even begin to tell you people how childish you come across. Lars, as stated before, I have no problems with you or any other half-witted person on this board, but please, be fair. Hyde is a great enviroment for troubled youths.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 06:01:00 PM »
On 2005-12-10 14:43:00, Hyde's Attorney wrote:

"If you nuts have a problem with a business (which is exactly what The Hyde School is) report it to the Better Business Bureau, not this garbage bin! "
Although I strongly dislike your approach, and attitude, this does make some sense.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 06:01:00 PM »
On 2005-12-10 14:53:00, Hyde's Attorney wrote:

"The cynical views expressed on here are exaggerated too much for me to even begin to tell you people how childish you come across. Lars, as stated before, I have no problems with you or any other half-witted person on this board, but please, be fair. Hyde is a great enviroment for troubled youths.  

"

Hate to tell you, whoever you are, but the folks here really don't care what you think.  You haven't offered anything substantive to the discussion.  Also, unless you're a faculty member pretending to be a lawyer (which is what you sound like), most of the people posting here have something you don't - personal experience with the place.  Unless you explain why you claim to be Hyde's attorney or offer anything meaningful to the discussion, don't expect anyone here to take you seriously.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 06:31:00 PM »
For anyone who is interested, I found the James Traub article referred to above - ironically, the site STARTS with a typical defensive response from Joe Gauld.....

Click on http://www.educationnext.org/20052/4.html - you will Gauld's letter - in his THIRD line, he mentions "The Moral Imperative" - click on this and you can read Traub's eye-witness observations of his visit to Hyde-Bath