Author Topic: Mount Bachelor Academy  (Read 8549 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« on: December 07, 2005, 03:46:00 PM »
I recently worked at MBA as a teacher.  Disheartened by the systemic disrespect of students by school staff and policies I saw in the public schools, I thought a private "emotional growth" boarding school for at risk teens was the perfect environment for me.  Surely these children would be treated with respect and dignity?.little did I know.

I love working with at risk kids because I was one and know intuitively what they need.  However, I was immediately disappointed and disillusioned by what I saw going on at MBA.  "Mentors" who should really be called ?tor-mentors? yelling and disrespecting teens while routinely pulling kids out of classes for "work projects" as a result of some minor infraction of the "rules'. I saw seriously depressed kids, suicidal kids, kids so overmedicated that they could hardly form a though let alone stay awake in class.

As a teacher it was disappointing, how do you conduct classes and keep to any kind of curriculum when your students are taken out of class for a week or two weeks at a time? Some days I would only have two or three kids and then suddenly I would have a full class of 15 that were weeks behind.  What were they doing all that time? They were on ?self-studies? or ?work projects? which meant; moving rocks, digging stumps, cleaning bathrooms, cleaning the campus grounds, hauling various wheel barrow loads of stuff here or there.  The kids who weren?t in trouble would be gone for a week or two for various ?lifesteps?.  Parents need to know these kids are not getting a ?college prep? education! Academics are NOT valued at all at MBA.  The tor-mentors run the place and could care less that these kids are not getting an education.  They ?graduate? them without the academic skills they will need in college.  Of course, these kids are some of the most privileged in the country and so come in with superior skills to begin with, but they are not where they should be in the end!

These parents are paying 6000.+ a month and THEIR kids are doing all the cleaning and maintenance!  The ?classrooms? (there aren?t enough) are a joke and the kids have no access to technology on a continuing basis because they might email someone and beg them to break them out!  That these kids cannot email their parents or anyone and tell them what is going on is creepy, even their phone calls are monitored and if the kids say anything the tor-mentors don?t like, they end the call.  If they have nothing to hide, why all the control over communications?  One of the final straws for me was that the kids were made to shovel snow and pick ice in very cold weather without the benefit of good gloves.  

As a parent, I would never send my child to a place like that.  These kids are so alone and misinformed, they are lied to, manipulated and information is withheld from them. I got fired for telling kids they could leave when they were 18 no matter what their parents or the school said.  I only stayed as long as I did because I felt so bad for theses kids.  I still do and would love to talk to their parents and tell them to yank their kids ASAP.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 11:18:00 PM »
What's stopping you? Start talking to these parents NOW!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 06:15:00 PM »
I can't talk to these parents because I do not have their names, addresses or phone numbers! Many of the parents/gaurdians have different last names and unlisted numbers. I am working on getting a list from someone who still works there though....we shall see!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »
Good luck. But be prepared, many parents do not want to hear the truth. I hope find a few that do.
Sounds very similar to HLA. They're branches on the same tree with it's roots in CEDU.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewforum.php?forum=41&1931

You might consider talking briefly with an attorney first because you could find yourself a victim of a slap suit if you don't handle the situation just so. Hell, you could be sued either way, but know your rights and how to talk about it to better protect yourself.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 03:22:00 PM »
I was just talking with a friend about all this and it came to me that you are absolutely right, many of these parents do not want to 'know'. They are simply relieved that their 'problem' children are being "taken care" of elsewhere.  Many are not the parents anyway but gaurdians and do not even have a basic parental instinct to guide them.  I am looking into the possibility of opening my own school and starting a revolution in education and the way these kids are treated. It is about time. My heart goes out to all those kids in programs and I just hope they can hang in there.

* I did hear however that there is a website where parents of MBA kids can post their thoughts and concerns, that would be a great way to get some of the truth out there anonymously-just have to find it!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 04:51:00 PM »
I don't know what you are talking about!  I went to MBA and am tired of all this BS about it.  It's a great school, and helps tons of people.  I still talk to at least 30 people from MBA 3 years after graduating, and we are all grateful for the help we recieved there.  I would like to know who this teacher is, because all of my teachers there were amazing, and in support of the program.  Yeah we complained about work projects and stuff, but we're teenagers, we complain about lots of stuff.  It's not like we wouldn't have to shovel snow at home!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 05:35:00 PM »
Sounds like sour grapes to me.  All the kids know they can walk away from MBA at 18 so you apparently aren't telling the WHOLE truth about why you left the school.  My child graduated from MBA and yes, the academics leave alot to be desired.  Luckily, my child is bright and will do well in college.  What she was there for, however, was the emotional growth program and she reaped many benefits from the Lifesteps you obviously don't see value in and the level of responsibility she was held to (YES, she did work projects and I knew about them!).  The (tor?)mentors are knowledgeable and loving and develop great, respectful relationships with the kids.  People who don't know should check out the school, check out a graduation, and after that they would find that your story does not hold any water.
If I wanted to send my kid to a top-knotch college prep school, I would have, but what I got back from MBA was my child, a little less educated than she could have been, but well equipped to negotiate life for the next 60 or 70 years and not just for 4 years of college.
Sounds to me like you, unfortuantely, fancied yourself too much of an advocate for the kid rather than doing your job and teaching to the best of your ability and holding them accountable.
MBA is an outstanding choice FOR THE RIGHT KID and it is up to each parent to decide if it is right for them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 07:34:00 AM »
I want this place shut down!!!!!!!!!!!I was sent there in 93. I have been in therapy for 10 years. I cant live with what they did to me. I need your help! I need to shut them down for good, so I can go on living

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 11:57:00 AM »
I'm sorry it didn't work for you but it has worked for lots of kids and I know several.  Keep up with the therapy as I can see you really need to continue with it.  If shutting down MBA is all that will let you live your life then I want you to find new meaning in life. I hope the best for you but I want MBA to keep on helping kids like they helped my out of control kid who is doing great and loves to keep in contact with several of her mentors from MBA.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 12:12:00 PM »
The anon already has a therapist, anon program parent. Your comments are out of line. What is it with parents who warehouse their kids? They feel like they have a license to counsel and dx.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 05:39:00 PM »
Warehouse our kids. Goes to show your understanding of what these kids and their families went through to get to MBA. Doesn't it seem odd to you that this person is still struggling with his/her experience from 1993? Sounds like a much deeper issue, much more than the MBA experience. Try to understand MBA is not successful with every kid that goes there, just as every therapist does not have the answers for each person. I know from our own experience that therapy did not work, but MBA did.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 01:10:00 AM »
thanks for backing me!!! I am never giving up. Just wait and see.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 01:19:00 AM »
YOU no shit!!!!!!!!!!!! I know lots of people who are still struggling from MBA.I can prove it too. OH and your child was probably fucked up and better locked up. That was not the case for me!!!!It was the trauma of MBA that put me in therapy asshole.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 02:30:00 AM »
will you help me do something about it?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 05:59:00 PM »
Mount Bachelor was the worst thing that ever happened to me. I got away. I was there for four monthes. I was there for drug issues/school. I got no school work accomplished,seeing as I was always on self studies, and they didnt think I was ready to move out of "base camp" for 2 monthes. I ran away at the end of July, and made it to Prinville by hitching. I met a nice lady, who let me stay with her room mates. Three days later, a private detective found me. I talked to the admin at MBA, and told them I would refuse to do anything and wreak havoc if they made me go back. My life is much better off now that I'm out of mount bachelor, but it does still haunt me. I try to block it out of my memory, but it has caused some serious damage.
I will do anything to get some of those kids out, and shut down that program.