Author Topic: Teenage Wasteland  (Read 8468 times)

Offline marcwordsmith

• View Profile
    • http://www.marcwordsmith.com
Teenage Wasteland
« on: December 03, 2005, 09:10:00 PM »
One of the ways I comforted myself during and after the Seed was with music. I projected very personal meanings and messages into the rock music of the day. Like the song "From the Beginning" by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, with its refrain:

You see it's all clear
You were meant to be here
From the beginning

I took that to mean that, for reasons I could not fathom, even the Seed was somehow part of the master plan for my life. I needed to believe it made some sort of sense, fit into some larger scheme.

The album Who's Next was a really big deal for me; I escaped so much into that record. It's hard to say exactly what made it feel so relevant to me. Maybe just the whole tone of it, the spiritual yearning, the hurt.

And the "teenage wasteland" refrain made really feel not alone. When Townshend sang, "Don't cry, don't raise your eye, it's only teenage wasteland," I felt like he was telling me to forget it--teenagehood would be, for me, a scarred battlefield that I could leave behind some day for better places. (And maybe many troubled teenagers, in all kinds of situations, heard it that way, and maybe that's part of why that phrase resonated for so very many kids.)

Anybody else take comfort in music or song lyrics during the Seed era in their lives?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline landyh

• View Profile
Teenage Wasteland
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 11:35:00 PM »
On 2005-12-03 18:10:00, marcwordsmith wrote:

"One of the ways I comforted myself during and after the Seed was with music. I projected very personal meanings and messages into the rock music of the day. Like the song "From the Beginning" by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, with its refrain:

You see it's all clear

You were meant to be here

From the beginning

I took that to mean that, for reasons I could not fathom, even the Seed was somehow part of the master plan for my life. I needed to believe it made some sort of sense, fit into some larger scheme.

The album Who's Next was a really big deal for me; I escaped so much into that record. It's hard to say exactly what made it feel so relevant to me. Maybe just the whole tone of it, the spiritual yearning, the hurt.

And the "teenage wasteland" refrain made really feel not alone. When Townshend sang, "Don't cry, don't raise your eye, it's only teenage wasteland," I felt like he was telling me to forget it--teenagehood would be, for me, a scarred battlefield that I could leave behind some day for better places. (And maybe many troubled teenagers, in all kinds of situations, heard it that way, and maybe that's part of why that phrase resonated for so very many kids.)

Anybody else take comfort in music or song lyrics during the Seed era in their lives?"

Marc, I don't think I got to thank you for your fearless chronicle of your experience at The Seed. But if I did Thanks again. I have always found solace in music but much more now than then. I occasionally quote something that I find meaningful from my library in here. Funny I loved rock all my teenage years and of course still do to some extent but I started branching out as i got a little older. After I went back to my dads after destroying my first marriage due to my alcoholism I found comfort in what would now be considered classic country. The songs were one after the other a serial compilation that spoke to the wreckage that I had created for myself. I would go park my car at the lake near my parents home and write sad poems, drink beer,listen to country music and cry. Later in better times I found the mood that jazz created  after getting sober was useful in setting the tone for my new venture back into the dating world. But  I steered toward artists from Michael Franks to Winton Marsalis to Rickie Lee Jones and though I typically get the most from lyrics I found the power of brass to move me emotionally as well. From there I ventured into the Nouveau Flamenco of Otmar Liebert which led me to search the roots of classical guitar and its heavier influences such as Andres Segovia. His renditions on guitar of Bach developed in me the interest to explore on a limited basis some classical music. Now I listen to people who by and large are are in the folk scene and obscure for the most part to the general public but who are highly respected by the more popular country musicians who often cover there songs. I find an amazing power and depth to the simple combination of an acoustic guitar and lyrics of life and love and stories of experience. So many may not have heard of people like John Prine, Doc watson, Townes Van Zandt, Lucy Kaplanski, David Wilcox, Ellis Paul, Greg Brown, Eva Cassidy, Lucinda Williams but their music forms the roots of so many others that are more popular but don't have any of the raw and passionate truth that resonates with these other artists. Many know Townes Van Zandt through the cover The Highwaymen did of the song "Pancho and Lefty". John Prines contributions are legendary in the music world but to understand the power of his music listen to his duet with Bonnie Rait singing "Angel from Montgomery" about an old couple sung from the womens's perspective. The lines in that song, "if dreams were lighting and thunder were desire this old house would of burnt down a long time ago", "Just give me one thing that I can hold onto, to believe in this living is just a hard way to go" " How the hell can a person go to work in the morning come home in the evening and have nothing to say", speak of such a deeply moving picture of despair. From Prine's most well known song "Sam Stone", about the life of a vietnam veteran after he returned home, the line "there's a hole in daddy's arm where all the money goes" is  so simplistic yet poignant. Townes Van Zandt who's own path of abuse led to his death a few years ago had the ability to weave marvellous tapestries of words that are some of the most amazingly complex poetry I have ever heard anywhere. Yet there is a raw edge to his music that to me anyway is moving. So I tend to seek out the little known artists who have a story to tell.
Whatever thou put his hand to do it with all thy might\" King Solomon

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
Teenage Wasteland
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 11:04:00 AM »
Marc, I totally loved that lyric and couldn't get it out of my head sitting in the group. I tried not to think of it, but it did seem to justify why I was there.

OK, here's some more thoughts on music.

Pre-Seed, I loved Todd Rundgren, who expressed almost every feeling I had somewhere in a song:

"Sometimes I don't know what to feel..."

"Is that you, look who's on the skids this time, bitchin' 'bout her place in line, when all you really want is attention: but your like every other girl uptown, who wants to ride her face around..." (made me think of every girl I was obsessed with, teenage angst)

"Weren't you there when the carousel burnt down, the fire and confusion, the smoke and the sound..." (feeling of loss)

I also loved these 2 songs by Dan Fogelerg, who turned into a schlockmeister, but did write one great one:

"I have these moments all steady and strong, with feelings all holy and humble; the next thing I know I'm all worried and weak, I feel myself starting to crumble..."

Also: "Changing horses in the middle of a stream, makes you wet and sometimes cold...looking farther than you'll ever hope to see, makes you old, oh, makes you old..."

I also loved Patti Smith's Redondo Beach, which was about suicide: "Down by the ocean it was so dismal,
Women all standing with a shock on their faces.
Sad description, oh I was looking for you."

Also Barnstorm: Turn to Stone and Mama Says. What great songs! I really was suffering by not listening to my songs at the Seed.

Stripe - did you like Zappa's Billy the Mountain? One of the funniest, craziest albums of all time.

Art did get me to listen to Frank Sinatra. I still think he's great.

Landy, do you know of John Gorka? He writes fantastic lyrics...my wife and I saw him at a folk festival in Hocking Hills, OH - just him and a guitar, in an old log cabin with about 20 people. One of the best music experiences of my life.
ally Gator

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Teenage Wasteland
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »
Around two years after getting out of the seed, Styx came out with an album that had "fooling yourself" on it, and I totally identified it with me because I always believed I was "going places" in life, but after the seed I was just waffling and I had this anger that I was having trouble with.

lyrics.

You see the world through your cynical eyes
You're a troubled young man I can tell
You've got it all in the palm of your hand
But your hand's wet with sweat and your head needs a rest

And you're fooling yourself if you don't believe it
You're kidding yourself if you don't believe it
How can you be such an angry young man
When your future looks quite bright to me
How can there be such a sinister plan
That could hide such a lamb, such a caring young man

You're fooling yourself if you don't believe it
You're kidding yourself if you don't believe it
Get up, get back on your feet
You're the one they can't beat and you know it
Come on, let's see what you've got
Just take your best shot and don't blow it

You're fooling yourself if you don't believe it
You're killing yourself if you don't believe it
Get up, get back on your feet
You're the one they can't beat and you know it
Come on, let's see what you've got
Just take your best shot and don't blow it.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Teenage Wasteland
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 11:59:00 AM »
My goodness, immediately after posting that, I remembered the other Styx song from "the Grand Illusion" album that kept me listening over and over to that tape (8 track?).  These songs sum up my post seed experience. Maybe this helps understand the state I was left in post seed graduation.

Man in the wildnerness....

Another year has passed me by
Still I look a myself and cry
What kind of man have I become?
All of the years I've spent in search of myself
And I'm still in the dark
'Cause I can't seem to find the light alone

Sometimes I feel like a man in the wilderness
I'm a lonely soldier off to war
Sent away to die - never quite knowing why
Sometimes it makes no sense at all

Ten Thousand people look my way
But they can't see the way that I feel
Nobody even cares to try
I spend my life and sell my soul on the road
And I'm still in the dark
'Cause I can't seem to find the light alone

Sometimes I feel like a man in the wilderness
I'm a lonely soldier lost at sea
Drifting with the tide
Never quite knowing why
Sometimes it makes no sense at all

Offline jgar

• View Profile
Teenage Wasteland
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 05:07:00 PM »
Sure did and still do. I remember before my intake hearing on the radio the song "Salisbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel. I thought that those lyrics spoke to me (a precursor or premonition) of what I was supposed to learn or experience during this period, particularly relating to the development of my spirituality.
As a matter of fact one of my first post here on this site was the lyrics to a Dave Mathews song ?Proudest Monkey? as it related to me I thought it expressed very well my emotions as to the time and what I was feeling when I left the Seed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Teenage Wasteland
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 05:31:00 PM »
you should all be posting song lyrics. was looking at this one the other day by pearl jam

"Why Go"

she scratches a letter
into a wall made of stone
maybe someday
another child
won't feel as alone as she does

it's been two years
and counting
since they put her in this place
she's been diagnosed
by some stupid fuck
and mommy agrees
why go home?
why go home?
why go home...

she seems to be stronger
but what they want her to be is weak
she could just pretend
she could join the game
she could be another clone

why go home?

what you taught me
put me here
don't come visit
mommy dear

Offline landyh

• View Profile
Teenage Wasteland
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 07:27:00 PM »
On 2005-12-05 08:04:00, cleveland wrote:

Landy, do you know of John Gorka? He writes fantastic lyrics...my wife and I saw him at a folk festival in Hocking Hills, OH - just him and a guitar, in an old log cabin with about 20 people. One of the best music experiences of my life.

"

Love John Gorka he is definitely on my list too. Used to listen to Rundgren alot as well. I was always impressed that I heard he had done everything  himself on the"Something/Anything" albums and then mixed it. Pretty talented.
Whatever thou put his hand to do it with all thy might\" King Solomon

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Teenage Wasteland
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 05:15:00 PM »
On 2005-12-05 14:31:00, Anonymous wrote:

"you should all be posting song lyrics. was looking at this one the other day by pearl jam

Here Here! This one still makes me cry. Whenever I was in a funk, forgot how to smile or what love and light felt like, my best friend in the whole world would blas this and smile with a twinkle in his chocolate brown eyes and invite me to "slide into his room" and remember what fun is. And so I did, some decades ago. I'll let you know how that turns out.  :wink:

Artist: Goo Goo Dolls Lyrics
Song: Slide Lyrics

Could you whisper in my ear
The things you wanna feel
I'll give you anything
To feel it comin'

Do you wake up on your own
And wonder where you are
You live with all your faults

Chorus:
I wanna wake up where you are
I won't say anything at all
So why don't you slide

Yeah we're gonna let it, slide

Don't you love the life you killed
The priest is on the phone
Your father hit the wall
Your ma disowned you

Don't suppose I'll ever know
What it means to be a man
Something I can't change
I'll live around it

Chorus

And I'll do anything you ever
Dreamed to be complete
Little pieces of the nothing that fall
May put your arms around me
What you feel is what you are
And what you are is beautiful
May do you wanna get married
Or run away

And I'll do anything you ever
Dreamed to be complete
Little pieces of the nothing that fall
May put your arms around me
What you feel is what you are
And what you are is beautiful
May do you wanna get married
Or run away

Chorus

The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma.
--Abraham Lincoln, U.S. President

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline jgar

• View Profile
Teenage Wasteland
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 04:59:00 PM »
That song from the Goo Goo dolls was great. I saw once on some VH-1 special the lead singer explaining  that song was written about some distant memory of a high school girl friend who (if I recall correctly) fell pregant and they had to deal with the issue of having an abortion. (just some mindless trivia)

Funny- this would have been considered a taboo discussion (old ties) at the Seed.  [ This Message was edited by: jgar on 2005-12-09 14:00 ]

Offline ChrisL

• View Profile
    • http://chrislewiscpa.com
Teenage Wasteland
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 09:28:00 PM »
Dark Side of the Moon....

the whole album did it & still does it for me

Boston,  More than a feeling & the whole Third Stage album
Little River Band, America, the Eagles...

I listen to alot of different newer groups now because of my kids, most of it is pretty good stuff, Saliva, shawn colvin, staind, blink 182, coldplay, norah jones, creed, godsmack, yellowcard, hoobastank, killers, los lonely boys, lincoln park, modest mouse, davin mcgraw, switchfoot,

its all good, LYPO
hris Lewis
Seed 1973 -1975
AA 1991 -

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Teenage Wasteland
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »
I'm listening to this right now
http://fornits.com/sounds/CVB.m3u

I love this whole album. It's dark matter made delectable and delicious. Frod turned me onto it. Sometimes it's far more comforting to hear "Yeah, I see it too, now let's dance about it" than the more trite reassurance "It's ok."

Music fans everywhere might enjoy a nice run through his forum over here:
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewforum.php?forum=33&2995

Janis, Jimi, Gery, Timothy... Did you HAVE to get so close to the edge to get a really good view?
-- Anonymous

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline marshall

• View Profile
Teenage Wasteland
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 02:24:00 PM »
Dark Side of the MOON?!
I was told I only liked that sort of music because it reminded me of being high. I stayed in guilt / conflict about listening to such music for most of my program. You must be on drugs...right? :grin:

Seriously, I still love floyd. The best concerts I've ever seen. "We don't need no thought-control.." I like a lot of those other artists too. I'm surprised. Most folks our age don't seem to like much new stuff. My wife still prefers 80's rock.
Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. You must climb towards the Truth. It cannot be \'stepped down\'

Offline Pinks Attorneys Friends N

• View Profile
Teenage Wasteland
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 04:12:00 PM »
Down in a hole- Alice in Chains , fuck yeah

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
Teenage Wasteland
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 04:21:00 PM »
One of my best friends of all time started a band. He had been hospitalized as a kid for a serious car accident, and taught himself how to play drums and guitar by ear. A year of so later, he cut his first album, and a year or two after that, he was touring. Considered by some to be one of the seminal bands of the 80s, he's been compared to joy division. Kind of dark but very intelligent lyrics, with a unique sound. Here's the website:

http://www.mydadisdead.com/

Oh, and yeah, he named the band after his dad, who died the year he cut the album. It was a sort of liberation for him - his invalid dad was addicted to pain killers and Mark was the sibling who stayed home to take care of him. Anyway, as long as we are talking about music!
ally Gator