Author Topic: HYDE SCHOOL Questions about Finances  (Read 7562 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
HYDE SCHOOL Questions about Finances
« on: November 27, 2005, 11:24:00 AM »
Does anyone know the financials of Hyde School?

The tuition at Hyde is very high and yet the living quarters are lacking, the food is sub standard, and highly skilled teachers are non existent other than the few that stay for only one or two years.

Most of the newer buildings come from donations from parents so again I ask, where does the money go?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 12:41:00 PM »
On 2005-11-27 08:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Does anyone know the financials of Hyde School?

The tuition at Hyde is very high and yet the living quarters are lacking, the food is sub standard, and highly skilled teachers are non existent other than the few that stay for only one or two years.

Most of the newer buildings come from donations from parents so again I ask, where does the money go?"

I have no idea whether Hyde makes the budget information available.  

I'd add to your comment that Hyde does not spend money on the kinds of social services (counseling, etc.) that every other boarding school for struggling teens spends money on.  The other schools we've visited recently (alternatives to Hyde) that attract very similar students spend lots of money on mental health counseling staff.  I don't see any of that at Hyde (which is one of the school's major problems - Hyde admits so many students with mental health issues but doesn't have staff to deal with this).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 03:54:00 PM »
You are wrong.  Hyde does have a way for dealing with kids with severe mental health issues.  They use unskilled staff and senior students to do so!!  Isn't this the way all specialty programs who charge $35,000 a year do it?????

Please potential parents, don't be foolish and buy into Hyde!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 01:13:00 PM »
You can see exactly what the school makes and how is spends it's money along with the top 5 salaried employees at http://www.guidestar.com

When you are a 501(c)3 non profit institution you have to file your numbers each year...

You'll see that NOBODY is making any money here and for once and for all this discussion thread can die a quick death...
AMEN!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »
On 2005-11-28 10:13:00, Anonymous wrote:

"You can see exactly what the school makes and how is spends it's money along with the top 5 salaried employees at http://www.guidestar.com

When you are a 501(c)3 non profit institution you have to file your numbers each year...

You'll see that NOBODY is making any money here and for once and for all this discussion thread can die a quick death...

AMEN!!"

I'd like to direct your attention to IRS Form 990 filed by the Hyde School (Bath) for 2003.  On page 27 of this IRS document, Malcolm Gauld's income is listed as $170,790 with an employee benefit plan contribution of $58,911.  Laurie Hurd's income is listed as $94,000 with an employee benefit plan contribution of $14,111.  The comparable IRS form for the Woodstock campus lists Duncan McCrann's income as $94,000 with an amployee benefit plan contribution of $14,285 (page 28). These figures are two years old.

Do you still think that, to quote you, "NOBODY is making any many here"?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 02:19:00 PM »
On 2005-11-28 10:59:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"You can see exactly what the school makes and how is spends it's money along with the top 5 salaried employees at http://www.guidestar.com

AMEN!!"

I'd like to direct your attention to IRS Form 990 filed by the Hyde School (Bath) for 2003.  On page 27 of this IRS document, Malcolm Gauld's income is listed as $170,790 with an employee benefit plan contribution of $58,911.  Laurie Hurd's income is listed as $94,000 with an employee benefit plan contribution of $14,111.  The comparable IRS form for the Woodstock campus lists Duncan McCrann's income as $94,000 with an amployee benefit plan contribution of $14,285 (page 28). These figures are two years old.

Do you still think that, to quote you, "NOBODY is making any many here"?"

What is even funnier are the benefits on top of this that no one is taking into consideration.  These people have NO EXPENSES.  This money goes right in the bank!  Housing, food, etc is paid for guys!  Also you did not take into consideration the net worth of the family with all of the properties they own.  

There is so much more $$$ that you and I cannot see on a website!  This is very interesting.  Thank you whoever suggested we look it up on Guidestar!! Guess the Gaulds are stretching the truth quite a bit when they cry poverty!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »
On 2005-11-28 11:19:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-11-28 10:59:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

AMEN!!"

What is even funnier are the benefits on top of this that no one is taking into consideration.  These people have NO EXPENSES.  This money goes right in the bank!  Housing, food, etc is paid for guys!  Also you did not take into consideration the net worth of the family with all of the properties they own.  

There is so much more $$$ that you and I cannot see on a website!  This is very interesting.  Thank you whoever suggested we look it up on Guidestar!! Guess the Gaulds are stretching the truth quite a bit when they cry poverty!"

Don't forget that each of the wives/husbands of these listed administrators are also on the payroll.  For instance Malcolms wife must make at least the same as Laurie Hurd.  This would put the two Jr Gauld's at $250,000 a year, easy!!  This of course is not including any of the perks and the fact like the last poster mentioned, they have no expenses!!

I'd like to know how they can create this sham!  "Truth over Harmony?", "The Truth Will Set You Free?"  Oh how I wish I was back in that auditorium listening to them tell us all how they are not getting rich off of this, and how they only want to make a difference in the world!!  UGHHHHH!  Liars, Liars, Liars!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 03:33:00 AM »
We recently were thrown out of the Hyde School for having the temerity to question Joe Gauld's instant analysis of one of us (the parent of a second year senior).  Joe became enraged, threw the parent in question out of the "seminar," and later that evening, we were invited to leave as a family.

The school has now decided that they have no moral, legal, or ethical obligation to return a penny of the full tuition/board we paid them at the beginning of this year.

Our legal case will follow, and we'll keep you apprised of it!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 06:00:00 AM »
On 2005-11-29 00:33:00, Anonymous wrote:

"We recently were thrown out of the Hyde School for having the temerity to question Joe Gauld's instant analysis of one of us (the parent of a second year senior).  Joe became enraged, threw the parent in question out of the "seminar," and later that evening, we were invited to leave as a family.

The school has now decided that they have no moral, legal, or ethical obligation to return a penny of the full tuition/board we paid them at the beginning of this year.

Our legal case will follow, and we'll keep you apprised of it!"

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with Hyde.  What you describe (Joe Gauld's "instant" and arrogant analysis) is predictable and typical.  If you haven't read the postings on this website, you may find them helpful.  Many others have experienced the kind of behavior you describe.

Based on other postings on this website, it seems clear that Hyde has been sued before.  You may want your attorney to track down those lawsuits (one apparently involved a family that sued Hyde because of sexual harassment of a student by a Hyde faculty member).

Also, as others have suggested here, I strongly suggest you share your concerns with the organization that accredits Hyde: the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. They need to know about this incident. You can contact:

William Bennett
Director, Commission on Independent Schools
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
209 Burlington Road
Bedford, Massachusetts 01730-1433
phone: 781-271-0022

Good luck with your next steps.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 08:16:00 AM »
Thanks for that informative and speedy reply! Of course, we assume that Hyde is practiced at responding to law suits. There are a few wrinkles in this situation that should make it easier for us to forcefully present our views to a jury, should it come to that.  I am not---yet--- at liberty to discuss these details.  However, we plan on going public in the near future.  At that time we will be welcoming contacts from others who may have had similar experiences with this institution.

Although the egregious misconduct of Hyde officials--- if exposed to the legal system and to the public--- could grievously damage its future, we are hoping that the administration will do some heavy lifting and introspection, and begin to act in accordance with the commendable ethics they invite others to practice.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 08:27:00 AM »
On 2005-11-29 05:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Thanks for that informative and speedy reply! Of course, we assume that Hyde is practiced at responding to law suits. There are a few wrinkles in this situation that should make it easier for us to forcefully present our views to a jury, should it come to that.  I am not---yet--- at liberty to discuss these details.  However, we plan on going public in the near future.  At that time we will be welcoming contacts from others who may have had similar experiences with this institution.

Although the egregious misconduct of Hyde officials--- if exposed to the legal system and to the public--- could grievously damage its future, we are hoping that the administration will do some heavy lifting and introspection, and begin to act in accordance with the commendable ethics they invite others to practice."

I hope you sense that you have a great deal of support among many people posting on this website who, too, have had terrible experiences with Hyde (not unlike yours, it appears).  Once you're willing to go public, I am confident that many people will rally on your behalf.

Have you had the opportunity to read through the postings on this website?  Also, did you get the information about how to share your experiences with NEASC?  The NEASC complaint procedure is: http://www.neasc.org/cis/complaints.PDF

The general NEASC website (specifically the Commission on Independent Schools) is: http://www.neasc.org/cis/cis.htm

Many people posting on this website are eager to hold Hyde accountable.  It sounds as if you can make a major contribution.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 08:49:00 AM »
On 2005-11-29 05:27:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"Thanks for that informative and speedy reply! Of course, we assume that Hyde is practiced at responding to law suits. There are a few wrinkles in this situation that should make it easier for us to forcefully present our views to a jury, should it come to that.  I am not---yet--- at liberty to discuss these details.  However, we plan on going public in the near future.  At that time we will be welcoming contacts from others who may have had similar experiences with this institution.

Although the egregious misconduct of Hyde officials--- if exposed to the legal system and to the public--- could grievously damage its future, we are hoping that the administration will do some heavy lifting and introspection, and begin to act in accordance with the commendable ethics they invite others to practice."

I hope you sense that you have a great deal of support among many people posting on this website who, too, have had terrible experiences with Hyde (not unlike yours, it appears).  Once you're willing to go public, I am confident that many people will rally on your behalf.

Have you had the opportunity to read through the postings on this website?  Also, did you get the information about how to share your experiences with NEASC?  The NEASC complaint procedure is: http://www.neasc.org/cis/complaints.PDF

The general NEASC website (specifically the Commission on Independent Schools) is: http://www.neasc.org/cis/cis.htm

Many people posting on this website are eager to hold Hyde accountable.  It sounds as if you can make a major contribution."

Here's another resource our family recently heard about for people who want to share their concerns about Hyde. Our family may submit a letter. The "Struggling Teens" website (publisher of the well known Woodbury Reports that reviews schools and programs for this population) hosts an on-line letters-to-the-editor section that is organized by schools.  I've discovered several letters about Hyde (some of the commentary is very negative and some is supportive).  

Here's the website for the letters to the editor section: http://www.strugglingteens.com/news/let ... index.html

To submit a letter: http://www.strugglingteens.com/news/let ... index.html

Here's the general website: http://www.strugglingteens.com/

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 09:31:00 AM »

Dear Anonymous,

You are one of so many who have lost your tuition dollars after been kicked out or having left for other reasons.  Hyde pockets a lot of money this way.  They also are known for holding a student back for at least one year before graduating.  They tell the family, "he is not ready to be a senior" but in fact it is another way of keeping the family at the school and the $$$.  

If you can ever find the statistics of graduating seniors, my bet is that there is a high percentage who have repeated at least one grade.  Also while I was at Hyde, very few students who started with me, graduated with me.

As the other poster said, thanks to this website you will be able to find lots of former parents and students willing to help.  I am sure we can help you make a case with all the stories we have about Hyde and their long history of deliberately hurting families both emotionally and financially!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 10:37:00 AM »
"I'd like to direct your attention to IRS Form 990 filed by the Hyde School (Bath) for 2003. On page 27 of this IRS document, Malcolm Gauld's income is listed as $170,790 with an employee benefit plan contribution of $58,911. Laurie Hurd's income is listed as $94,000 with an employee benefit plan contribution of $14,111. The comparable IRS form for the Woodstock campus lists Duncan McCrann's income as $94,000 with an amployee benefit plan contribution of $14,285 (page 28). These figures are two years old.

**************************************************************************************************
This is unbelievable!!  You say Malcolm is making around $240,000 and what about Laura his wife?  This doesn't even take into account the book sales, speaking engagements,and so on.  My guess is that his annual income with his wife is closer to $400,000 or more a year and virtually no expenses.  Someone else called this a "sham" and I agree.

You would think this family could at least learn how to dress considering how well off they are.  And for the poster who said they are not getting rich, wake up and smell the roses!!  They are beyond rich!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 11:28:00 AM »
With regard to Joe Gauld, here's my position: Sure, it's easy to take shots at the like-a-cartoon, easy-to-lampoon crack pot character he often displays.  On the other hand, there's much to admire about this briney old goat, and I say, let's give him his props as we criticize his off the wall rantings.

The problem, in my judgement, is fundamentally not that the administration indulges Joe's unforgivable excesses, or even that they lamely try to cover up his transgressions when the ethical charter of the school mandates that each member of the community be held to a code of conduct that clearly prohibits these kinds of abusive diatribes.

More damaging, as I see it, is the way many other staff members have absorbed this hypocrisy.  Untrained- and perhaps even unhinged- some seem to feel that if they genuflect before the vicar of Vermont they too are free to discard principles (ie: "I will not give advice... intellectualize) when they are inconvenient, and ram their ideas down the throats of those living downstream, and lower on the totem pole.