Author Topic: RMA 85-87  (Read 11700 times)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
RMA 85-87
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »
Worgul? I remember her. But unfortunately, I don't remember her staying on after graduation, either. Where was she staying?

and where was the solo dorm under the house? which one was that?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
RMA 85-87
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2006, 12:11:00 AM »
there was a 3 person dorm under the house...I'm surprised that they would put 2 girls and a guy together in a dorm...especially that one as it was hooked into the same bathroom that the other dorms used...such as the old "bingo parlor" (probably before your time)...which was the dorm next to the equipment room.  The older student dorm was the door to the right of that and there was one other dorm around the corner that was next to the entrance to the stairwell leading up into the house.

Did the dorms go coed after I left? I think I could safely assume not.

Now lets point out a few savory points about what I have read about RMA...ok...you got dirty with younger students in the dorm...I wish I had done that.  I graduated completely clean...dirt free...that is how much of an impact that following the agreements through fear of bans and work details had me.  The only true "dirt" I had would have been the obligatory "cutting up music" during the naptime before propheets...and even once...we smoked a cigarette by the duplex before one propheet.  I say this only to demonstrate that the level of intimidation by some staff members was not doled out equally. They had their "pets" and they had the people that they would "take out their needs" on.

You mention that RMA did little other than send you down the road...with an hours notice...that you left your stuff...and there was no ride.

Tell me how that is not child endangerment...sure...you might have been 18 when you graduated...and that could be their so called legal loophole...but if you claim to have been one of the youngest students admitted...and then add 3 years on to the age that I would suspect that was (there were plenty of 13 and 14 year olds who had to go back to high school after their graduation) I would come to the duduction that you were not yet 18 when they asked you to leave.

Where did they think you would go?  You were in Bonners Ferry Idaho...the only thing you were close to was the middle of nowhere.  Where did they expect a single woman to sleep.  I know that the allowances at RMA did not leave kids with enough money to be able to walk out of the school with little but the clothes on their back and.

Which leads me to think that when you say your pre RMA life was abusive...why were you kept at RMA...was it free or was the abuse just perpetuated with a $3000 per month payment until RMA decided that you just weren't with the program enough to send you "packing" in such an irresponsible way.

Other topics of relevance to me are that we all knew how much worse Provo and Elan were while we were at RMA.  The constant reminder of these schools as our option was nothing more than a scare tactic to get us involved in the program.  We KNEW that Provo and Elan were too severe and that was attested to by students that had been pulled from those schools and subsequently placed at RMA.

WHY ON EARTH WOULD LON WOODBURY REFER PEOPLE TO THESE SCHOOLS?!?!?!?!

enough for now...I'm not saying that every aspect of these programs was bad and that there are not good memories to be had...but things haven't changed with regards to the threraputic tools that can be quite harmful to students that really shouldn't have been part of those things.

thank God I hear the academics have gotten better...but that's really not the issue that most of us have with these programs IMNSHO.

Offline Gabbing

• View Profile
RMA 85-87
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
RMA 85-87
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2006, 11:19:00 PM »
I knew Maggie while she was there.  I also remember her being close to Jason Mitchell, a member of my peer group.  We arrived in summer of '84 and graduated summer of '86.

Jason Mitchell is doing well last I saw him a few years back.  He was attending the CIA (Culinary Institure of America, not the Intel Agency) and was specializing in Kitchen design, which is not what it sounds like.  It has a lot to do with knowing what wines to stock and other things and not just where you should put the stove and oven.  Bee-sting was his nickname.  A good guy.

Jason was buddies with Mike Bird, aka: The Coca Cola Kid.  Mike is living in south Florida near Palm Springs.  

Geoff Sprague was also in our peer group, he lived in the New York area and we are great friends to this day.  Talk every single week.  

Brian Bates was not a student but a nerdy staff member who came on in late '86 or early '87.  Tall, lanky fellow who played semi-pro soccer as a goalie.  His famous words that most recall were his nodding his head at you and then saying, "Yeah, I hear what you're saying but we are going to do it my way."  Which was typically the wrong way.  

I live in the San Jose, CA area, and I bumped into a student who had been pulled about a year into her program named Michelle Falk.  She is doing very well, looks like a model, and runs a very upscale hair salon in Palo Alto, CA.

Ron Fichera lived in Denver last I saw him.  I lived out there with him for about two years, but he never overcame his severe alcoholism and though I tried and was successful once in getting him out of the bottle, he just kept going back to it.  RMA tools only go so far.

Heather Thompson lived in Dallas, TX last I saw her.  We bumped into each other in a Mall out there when I moved there to be closer to Susan, the girl I caught kissing in the Springroom walk-in freezer in Feb, 1986.  

Lisa Hawkenson and one of her closest friends who I can never recall her name (jet black hair, short, same peer group), both lived in San Jose after graduating.  I ran into them both and we had dinner together.

Mark Lim I saw in 1990 at my brother's wedding in Los Angeles.  He seemed to be doing well, happy and we chatted for a couple of hours about old times and who we had bumped into.  Mark was a much older student and had arrived probably in '83.

I went to a parent/student group here in the Bay Area in 1990 or 1991 and ran into Doug Kim Brown and a couple of the oldest students ever.  Phoebe and another girl, can't recall her name.  (Hey, it was 20 years ago!)

Also two guys in a peer group below mine, same one as Lisa Hawkinsen and Kim...  Almost have her name... Gormann?  I don't know if that is right, but pretty sure her name was Kim.  The guys I now can't remember, give me a few more lines, and I might recall.  But they both lived in Cupertino, home of Apple Computers and my home town.  They lived together and were good friends and had some kind of scam going on where they could get me free plane tickets to fly down and see Susan.  

Last I heard Melissa Lanier was living back in Raleigh, North Carolina, was married and had a kid.  

A girl with the last name of Weisser, same peer group as Kim and Lisa and those two guys whose names I still can't form in my head but I am working on it, she lived briefly in Denver, dating Ron Fichera before leaving to go back to California claiming Telly Savalis was after her along with a White Slavery ring...  Seriously.  

Craig Moyer, known most for his music ability with the guitar and writing and playing some cool songs while at RMA was last seen in Palo Alto, CA.  He told me had quit playing music.  That was only a couple of years after his '85 graduation and my '86 graduation.

Guy Mayer, upper peer group, was living in North Houston, TX area.  I last saw him a few years back in 1999.  He was doing well.  Saw him a few times actually.  Not married.  

Susan Ellenburg lives in Anchorage, Alaska.  She did the college thing, moved home, is currently divorced and has 3 kids.  We broke up in 1989 because I was an idiot.  We will leave it at that.  
We had been together 5 years including RMA.  
And, contrary to the popular legend, we were not doing the wild thing when "caught".  We had been, but we weren't at the time Bruce Wilson walked in to get the easels for the Challenge Night.  And Bruce was the only one there.  There was not a collection of other staff all standing around gawking as is one version I have heard.  But I will never forget that Spring Room.

Kevin?  Cameron?  Still can't quite place those two guys in the peer group below me.  Strange since I did some business with them.  

All in all, everyone I saw is doing well.  Common theme was that everyone experienced a period of traumatic shock after leaving RMA.  Their education suffered from that lack of it at RMA.  Many returned to using the same drugs they were kept away from in Idaho but had used before going there.   Everyone said they were dirty with one or more students at the graduation party in Couer d' Alene.  Some did college, some continued to have problems with their parents.

Oh, I also saw Loanne Wolpert somewhere.  Not sure where.  She seemed as caffeine charged as ever.

Kevin Devorak?  That's one of the names...  he and the other guy were inseparable.

Bailey Holt I never ran in to, but I understand he commited suicide shortly after leaving RMA.

The reason there were good times to remember at RMA despite the trauma and the mind games, is similar to those who go to war.  You and your buddies form a bond, and that friendship is all that keeps you from dwelling on the misery and suffering around you.  RMA was not the place for us, but we found ourselves there with others our age, with similar problems, who might have been screwed up before arriving there, but were all fairly decent people.  We got along because we had to.  Seeing the same 100 people every day, living in close quarters.  We laughed because the place was so absurd.  There were good times, but most important there were so really good people who go sent there.  RMA sucked, and most of us felt that way.  It was probably a little easier when we older folk went there, but we saw the changes coming.  The staff party where they all came down drunk.  They had no judgement and no idea what they were doing, and because of that, and the experimental therapy based on the writings in the book The Prophet, we underwent a hellish, unguided two year period of our lives we will never be able to fully understand or forget.
In time it fades in memory.  All except the good memories.  That is why some of us only remember the good stuff.  The bad just fades with time.

I hope some of you remember the names of the people I listed above.  

In a totally unrelated topic...  Someone made a post about remembering being on Full Time and building the rock wall between the parking area and the field during a parent visit weekend.  I recall that person being Chris Taylor who was an older student one or two peer groups ahead of me.  
Chris, I hope you are doing well.

And finally, I often wondered about the lack of a reunion.  Emily Harris was supposed to have been in charge of planning our peer group's 10th year reunion, which was 10 years ago and never happened.  Has anyone else ever been to an RMA reunion.  Do they happen?  Would anyone go to one?  

That's it folks...

--Bill,

Offline OKB4RMA

• View Profile
RMA 85-87
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2006, 11:32:00 PM »
Bill...Chris Taylor is doing well...I wish you had a screenname here so that I could PM you.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
RMA 85-87
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2006, 07:23:00 AM »
In a totally unrelated topic... Someone made a post about remembering being on Full Time and building the rock wall between the parking area and the field during a parent visit weekend. I recall that person being Chris Taylor who was an older student one or two peer groups ahead of me.
Chris, I hope you are doing well.

Heh, I built the wall right above that one.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
RMA 85-87
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2006, 08:54:00 AM »
I worked on that wall a lot in 1988.
don't know almost any of those people but yet I do.

I feel the bond with these names just knowing now that I'm not alone.
Not trying to be sappy, but just remembering.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
RMA 85-87
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2006, 11:47:00 AM »
Bill: thanks for posting all of that info about so many old friends. It is great to read that so many are doing OK.

I agree with you about the relationship thing. We all just did what we had to do to get by... frankly, we were all "survivors", even before we got there.

REUNIONS: I know that there are several people that would love to get together. There is one being planned now for people that were there when we were there. No one is too interested in getting together in Idaho...or whatever... but most just want to see old friends.. before we read about another tragedy.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
RMA 85-87
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2006, 07:35:00 AM »
Who are the people planning the event? Have people voiced any interest in going?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
RMA 85-87
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »
Hi Bill, I know one of the people in Cupertino you are referring to is Jon Prall.  He lived for a while with Dan Nater who was in my peer group.  And I'm happy to say I no longer have jet black hair.   Thanks for the post, it was great to see all those old names again!

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
RMA 85-87
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2006, 10:56:00 PM »
Dan Nater, Dan Nater.... that name sounds really familiar. Who else was in his peer group?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hi kids
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2006, 01:18:57 AM »
Hi folks,

It's a bit surreal to hear a discussion of "boogie" twenty years after the fact, but nice to know some of you are still alive and well.

I'm not sure why people aren't posting their names here but if you care my name's Matt St. John and I graduated June 87.  

I had an overall positive experience at RMA and I don't regret it. I recall a few pricks on staff, but nothing we don't encounter in other walks of life. Fond memories of the "slave wheel", warm-ups, and expeditions. Jumping in the pond in the middle of winter.

I'm practicing law in Alaska. I love it here, and I think that raps prepared me well for mediating high-conflict disputes. In my practice I've yet to see someone get so upset that their nose starts bleeding, which I remember on a couple of Mon Wed Fri sessions in Bonners Ferry. Life seems tranquil by comparison.

Expecting a daughter in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
RMA 85-87
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2006, 12:58:31 AM »
I also went to RMA during those years(1986-1988). I realize you posted this a long time ago but maybe you still check.  The RMA I remember was nothing like what I have read here.  Wow, things change .

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
1987-8
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2006, 12:04:51 PM »
what was your time like? your RMA?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
RMA 85-87
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2007, 10:16:46 AM »
Matt,

If you still check back to this site.    I hope all went well with your daughter.   My husband and I are expecting our first child, a boy, this summer.

Sarah B.