Author Topic: Oprah  (Read 3802 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Oprah
« on: November 19, 2005, 01:01:00 AM »
In general, I think Oprah has brought to the public's attention many social ills, and I admire her for that.

However, I am extremely disappointed that she has not retracted her endorsement of Straight, Inc., in her program, in light of all the lawsuits and allegations of abuse, and the sheer numbers of adults telling of their horrific abuse in Straight.  I can't help but wonder if she might have taken former Straight clients' plight seriously if there had been many black teenagers in the program.  It seems to me that she does not feel compelled to tell the story of the abuse of white, middle-class adolescents, which I find terribly disappointing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Oprah
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 01:38:00 AM »
Well, as Ed Forchion said, "Black leaders should be demanding "LEGALIZATION," instead they call the "COPS!"

http://www.njweedman.com/naacp.html

Are you really that surprised?

I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the religious theories of heaven and hell, of future life for individuals, or of a personal God.
--Thomas Edison, American inventor

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Oprah
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 10:55:00 AM »
The corruption in the GOP that our case illustrates so clearly, as related to Sembler's financial contributions to Bush's campaign and subsequent political favors, only strengthens black Americans' complaints that the GOP squashes the less fortunate, the less rich, and will stop at nothing to further their agenda.  Apparently, they are even willing to squash and destroy their own young for their political gain.  If this is "compassionate conservativism", then I shudder to think of the noncompassionate kind.

It would help the cause of black Americans if the cruelty of the Bush family and the Semblers as manifested by the Straight saga were exposed.

I hope Oprah reads this thread.  She could help us if she looked at it with an open mind.  While it's true that most of us are white, like black Americans, we have been oppressed by the ruling GOP.  And it is still going on in the spin-off programs.  In fact, the very fact that most of the victims were white begs the question of why there are not blacks in the programs, since they have an even higher rate of drug use and incarceration.  To me, it's obviously because the motive for Straight was MONEY, and white families on average have more money than black families.

Oprah, please take a closer look at the Straight story.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Oprah
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 12:31:00 PM »
Or atleast don't delete our stories from the Oprah forums. Alot of her forums are designed to help readers overcome and heal from great difficulties or stresses in their lives.

We Straight Survivors are even censored and deleted from her forum. What is Oprah trying to hide from her readers. We are not even allowed Free Speech in/on the Oprah internet society.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Oprah
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »
I am pleased to know we offend the Oprah Internet Society.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Oprah
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 12:58:00 PM »
I agree, Her/her employees deleting our posts speaks Volumes about The Oprah Company as a whole........

Too bad we are denied Free Speech by Oprah and her employees. It really shows she doesn't believe all people have rights. So it basically makes her a Scam. Just another person covering up the truth for Profit!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Oprah
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 05:40:00 PM »
great points man

Offline flygirl

• View Profile
Oprah
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 04:41:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: flygirl on 2006-04-26 06:18 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Oprah
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 10:20:00 PM »
Ok, since we can't sway Oprah to take our fight to her show, let's come up with a bunch of reasons she's a fraud, etc.  

We ARE mature individual's, right??  LOL

Offline fuckbuddy

• View Profile
Oprah
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 08:03:00 AM »
Maybe we could get our case brought before Judge Judy! :exclaim:

Offline flygirl

• View Profile
Oprah
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 10:42:00 AM »
[ This Message was edited by: flygirl on 2006-04-26 06:19 ]

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
Oprah
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 11:26:00 AM »
On 2005-11-21 13:41:00, flygirl wrote:

"Just a little fyi for anyone that actually thinks Oprah's concern for everyone is real.

Before she started flying in her private jet she flew with American Airlines and as you can imagine always first class. It was a well known fact that Oprah was a racist as she would not allow a white flight attendant to serve her. On one flight she even requested that the black FA who was working in coach be assigned to first class. That black FA politely told Oprah that it dosen't work that way and the FA in first class was excellent and would take good care of her but she had a fit anyway. She would NEVER speak directly to us either, always through her assistant. She stopped flying with us shortly after that incident. When I'm flipping through the channels and come across her show and she's looking all sincere and even tearing up over someone's story I can't help but think what a great actress she is.

On another note, one of the nicest most down to earth celebritys that I have had on my flight was Judge Judy. She stood in the galley and talked to us for quite a while and could not have been nicer :smile: "

Interesting inside information.  i would never have suspected that Judge Judy was so nice.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
Oprah
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 11:27:00 AM »
On 2005-11-22 05:03:00, Veteran wrote:

"Maybe we could get our case brought before Judge Judy! :exclaim:
"
:smile:
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Oprah
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 12:19:00 PM »
Folks, I don't think it's a matter of getting Oprah to take up the issue. She already has. Years ago. She launched Dr. Phil as a celebrity and has had shows herself, praising the Program under various name.

She's not just a clueless non-combatant here. She (or, more accurately, the staff at Oprah Inc.) have taken a position for the Programs and against us. They've even gone so far as to censor out dissenting views from their forums, ignore many attempts at communication by ppl w/ direct experience w/ these programs and generally tell us all to fuck off and quit trying to fuck up her cozy and lucrative deal here.

But then, what did you really expect from someone who makes her living leading encounter group sessions on live national TV?

I've pretty much kept my mouth shut on this so far because I didn't want to thwart the effort; what if I'm wrong? Hell, I expected the same from Montel and, guess what, I was dead wrong. Damned glad I didn't try to "help" anybody avoid what I thought would probably wind up as a waste of time and another heartbreak.

But now? Now, I think it's safe to say that Oprah is firmly in the pro-program camp along w/ her bestest buddy, Dr. Phil.

Not sure about Judge Judy. Maybe she's just ignorant on the issue and open to getting the rest of the story. Here's how she was thinking 9 years ago:

"As many are already aware, Judy "Judge Judy" Sheindlin has been embroiled in a controversy over her remarks about injection drug users.

According to the Australia Courier-Mail, Sheindlin made an appearance in November where she said the debate about clean needle supplies for heroin addicts is an indulgence lead by "liberal morons." The solution is simple, she said. "Give 'em dirty needles and let 'em die. . .I don't understand why we think it's important to keep them alive."
http://www.mapinc.org/alert/0141.html

But she's no dumb bell. Maybe she's informed herself a bit on this very complicated and contentious issue by now. Maybe not. I'm reserving judgement. One thing, though. If anyone winds up establishing a decent dialog w/ here, I've always wondered if she were in any way related to either Betty Schlesinger Sembler or Jack Schlesinger (Nixon crony).

[Religion is] the daughter of hope and fear, explaining to ignorance the nature of the unknowable.
--Ambrose Bierce

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Oprah
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 08:17:00 PM »
That concludes our regularly scheduled newsflash. Back to the show.