Author Topic: Mormon Man Jumped From Truck Following Argument  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mormon Man Jumped From Truck Following Argument
« on: November 14, 2005, 12:03:00 PM »
(KSL News) Police now say an argument caused a 21-year-old man to jump from a moving truck in South Jordan.

Tyler Poulson was riding with his brothers last night when he became offended by one of them using profanity. Poulson, who recently returned from an LDS mission, threatened to get out of the truck if he continued.

One of the men, not thinking he would, told Poulson to.

Earlier police said the car was going about 35 miles an hour when Poulson opened the door and jumped. He was pronounced dead on scene.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=128255

..... um...  :???:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 08:16:00 PM »
dear lord,
isn't that taking one's religion a bit too far. talk about rigid. one less control freak in the world.
is suicide a sin amongst mormons? he'd rather commit a sin than hear someone else speak 'profanity'?

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 09:03:00 PM »
Well, that's a good start.

Oh shit, I didn't just say that. That was wrong.

I'm just kidding, I wouldn't want all the Mormons to disappear. So many advances in jello design have been made due to their tireless efforts. I mean, who knew vienna sausages could float?

[ This Message was edited by: sorry... try another castle on 2006-01-14 19:14 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 09:58:00 PM »
Cool, is that all one has to do to
tell the Mormon evangilists that
the Book of Mormon is not welcomed ...

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 12:00:00 AM »
I never met a book I didn't like. But ask yourself this. What would a guy like that do w/ a kid under his authority who persisted in telling him to fuck off, for whatever reason. Ask anybody who's spent time in a WWASP program. By far and away, this is better.

Never mind what they say, watch what they do. And no, I don't think all Mormons are inherently evil. I do, however, think they've got quite a large and oblique blind spot when it comes to their fellow saints; most religious people are like that to some degree.

...the coercive collectivist State is distinctly uninterested in the cultivation of intelligence and wisdom. This is understandable...for the State has no uses to which persons of intelligence and wisdom can be put.
--Albert Jay Nock.

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline cajun75

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 09:45:00 AM »
Dear Antigen,

I agree with you in that most religous people are like that to some degree. A lot of zealots from all regions of the world are quick to spin disasters as a sign of God's displeasure.

But I do not think that religion holds the key. I will never find God in a church, a synagog, a mass, or any other religious institution. I seek God within myself. I know now that I am not guilty of anything, that I have forgiven everyone, realize I am a spirit, and that I am  my own master. I follow the principles of the Bhagavad Gita. I have read the Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Christ and know that Jesus came as a great realized soul from God to teach us how to pattern our lives after his and that we will all be resurected like he was. I believe all religions of the world came from the same tree, yet have branched out and segmented. It is the principles of the religions I seek which are the roots of the tree. There have been more wars fought by religous zealots thinking there religion was right. How stupid!

There have been a lot of great souls sent here to teach us if we would only listen. Martin Luther King was one that comes to mind.

Kind Regards,

Chuck

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 12:26:00 PM »
Yeah, Chuck. It's not the various doctrins. It's how people live it (or not).

The public concience is entertaining some very interesting discussion on the topic just lately. Jimmy Carter has broken w/ the longstanding tradition of former presidents not criticizing sitting presidents. He's an old guy, and seems to be a sincere, compassionate and level headed man. Evidently, he think's it's so important for us to examine the fundamentalist zealotry in today's politics that he's written a book on the topic and has been doing the book tour thing like a much younger man. As I recall (which is not much, cause I was very young when he was prez) he has always demonstrated a pretty nifty understanding that force of law and other types of coersion are the worst, the last resort, to achieving a compassionate, moral society. He took a non coersion stand on marijuana and still does so, to some extent, even on issues as deeply rooted as abortion.

There's a difference between sincere religious conviction and a manifest desire to live up to a high moral standard and the pervasive manifest desire to blugeon others into acting on one's own religious beliefs.

The man in this story pretty clearly demonstrated a militant and irrational desire to control the his brother's behavior. Sorry, folks. I wish that, instead of jumping out of a moving car the dude had come to realize he was going about things the wrong way. But he didn't. And, given a choice between someone like that taking his evolutionary lumps and his living on to impose his militant brand of religion on non-consenting others, this is better. By far and away, much better. And it's a cautionary tale to others who might otherwise make the same mistake.

Understand that legal and illegal are political, and often arbitrary,
categorizations; use and abuse are medical, or clinical, distinctions.

--Abbie Hoffman

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 04:57:00 PM »
Does this jumper get a Darwin award?

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 11:21:00 PM »
I tend to view the situation differently.
Firstly - I do not think he intended to die - indeed, I believe he most likely never gave the possibility a thought.
Secondly - yes, of corse he was attempting excessive control - but I view such extreme attempts at control, as a symptom of mental illness of some sort.
He could have been a victim of any number of possible illnesses that might have made him this rigid, irrational and impulsive.
I don't think it has anything what so ever to do with his faith. I think he was very ill. And very sad.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 12:13:00 AM »
Didn't intend to commit suicide? Then was it manipulation? Why not ask the driver to pull over and get out? Or jump out at the next light? Or plug his ears while repeating na-na-na-na for god's sake. It's not like the words literally caused his ear drums physical pain.

Mental illness? I guess some consider religious zealotry a mental illness. More like mental brainwashing. Someone conditioned that boy well. Should they be responsible for his death?

My sister went through a zealot period. No one in the family could stand to be around her. It wasn't a mental illness and she got over it when she realized how ridiculous she was being. Sure made us miserable for a couple of years.

Oh, and the time she disappeared for two weeks. APB out. We expected the worse. Packed up and moved all her things out of her dorm. She sashays in one day and tells us how some bible totin' zealot picked her up at the bus station, took her to their compound and then wouldn't bring her back to civilization. I can't even remember how she got out of that one. But, he had a bible. He was to be trusted, right?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 09:50:00 AM »
On 2005-11-15 21:13:00, Anonymous wrote:

But, he had a bible. He was to be trusted, right?

Exactly! Big problem w/ that. Arial Sharon has a Torah and he says he believes in it's teachings. Even when high ranking members of his own military refuse, on moral grounds, to carry out his orders, people still mistake criticizm of Israel's behavior and America's nearly unconditional support for antisemitism.

This is were it gets darkly tragic. My guess about the young man who jumped from a moving car is that he thought he was doing God's will and so God would protect him. My belief is that the "God" of all of the religious doctrins that stand the test of time is really just an allagory or an attempt at defining the imutable laws of physics and nature. "God" will protect you if you know, understand and seek earnestly to live within those laws. "God" will most certainly punish anyone who jumps from a moving vehicle, no matter what anybody believes.

science is the record of dead religions.
--Oscar Wilde

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 11:19:00 AM »
I simply don't believe the man's faith - weather Zealous or not - is behind his jumping.
I think the man was mentally ill, and so not rational and very impulsive.
I personally have a family member who jumped out of moving cars for little or no reason.
I used to be a nervous wreck driving them anywhere, even tho they never did it when with me.
Is it an attempt at manipulation? Possibly - but possibly not.
You can't expect to be able to make sense of it, b/c it is crazy behavior.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 11:28:00 AM »
On 2005-11-16 06:50:00, Antigen wrote:

"

On 2005-11-15 21:13:00, Anonymous wrote:

But, he had a bible. He was to be trusted, right?

Exactly! Big problem w/ that. Arial Sharon has a Torah and he says he believes in it's teachings. Even when high ranking members of his own military refuse, on moral grounds, to carry out his orders, people still mistake criticizm of Israel's behavior and America's nearly unconditional support for antisemitism.

This is were it gets darkly tragic. My guess about the young man who jumped from a moving car is that he thought he was doing God's will and so God would protect him. My belief is that the "God" of all of the religious doctrins that stand the test of time is really just an allagory or an attempt at defining the imutable laws of physics and nature. "God" will protect you if you know, understand and seek earnestly to live within those laws. "God" will most certainly punish anyone who jumps from a moving vehicle, no matter what anybody believes.

science is the record of dead religions.
--Oscar Wilde

"

Be careful criticizing Israel... might be labeled an anti-semite!  :lol:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »
On 2005-11-16 08:19:00, BuzzKill wrote:

I simply don't believe the man's faith - weather Zealous or not - is behind his jumping.
I think the man was mentally ill, and so not rational and very impulsive.

I don't see any contradiction there, Buzz. Do you believe zealot faith is behind suicide bombing? I do. And I think they're mentally ill. Moreover, I think an environment of zealotry and repression fosters just exactly that variety of mental illness. I've seen it in action, too.

I don't believe in God. My god is patriotism. Teach a man to be a good citizen and you have solved the problem of life.
--Andrew Carnegie, Scottish-born American industrialist and philanthropist

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 01:39:00 PM »

On 2005-11-16 08:28:00, Anonymous wrote:

Be careful criticizing Israel... might be labeled an anti-semite!  :rofl:

Them that knows me knows me well, all the rest can go to hell.

Faith is believing something you know ain't true.
--Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist