Author Topic: Hurricane Wilma  (Read 4794 times)

Offline jgar

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« on: October 23, 2005, 11:30:00 PM »
Just posting here as long as I can. Hurricane Wilma is about 2 hours away before we get hit by the southern eye wall.I'am sure by tommorrow a.m, :cry2:  :cry2:  we will have no power.

I'll rejoin as soon as I'am able. Hope everyone comes out ok.

God bless
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 12:36:00 AM »
im in miami was at seed in 82 and then straight in 84 im ssssssscccccaaaarrrred this is a big one     :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Offline Jupiter Survivor

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 09:00:00 AM »
My daughter just called.  The winds are still very strong and large trees have been uprooted in her apartment complex.  No power since early morning. She is in Palm Beach County.
Hope all in Florida are safe.

Nance

Offline NOT12NOW

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 09:04:00 AM »
Stay safe, we'll talk to you after the storm.
leveland chick 76-77

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 02:47:00 PM »
Jgar, hope you and Ft. Lauderdale, JM and others are OK. Sounds like it from the news, but thinking of you!
ally Gator

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 10:34:00 AM »
Anybody hearing anything? I'm getting that the Tampa Bay area is alright, the beach around Pompano is w/o power, but not too messed up, Sunrise area is really messed up. My li'll bro in law was walking down the middle of University Blvd cause there are so many trees down you can't navigate the sidewalks. He's fine, but his appartment lost it's roof. He and his roomie spent a couple of days in a shelter.

Anybody else?

Tough Love: Abuse of a type particularly enjoyable to the abuser, in that it combines the pleasures of sadism with those of self-righteousness. Commonly employed and widely admired in 12-step groups.
--Chaz Bufe

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 10:38:00 AM »
The Keys got it pretty bad but we've been assured that things will be back to normal by Thanksgiving when we go.  Hope everyone else is OK.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 10:38:00 AM »
One damn strange storm.

My sister took a direct hit on Marco Island...eyewall hit.  Marco was up and running the next day, electric and everything.  She lost her screen room but nothing more.

My other sister is north in Venice Florida. Nothing but high winds. I am way north of tampa and had 5 hours of 40 mph winds.

Ft Lauderdale is expected to be without power for another week and got hit harder, as did miami.  Apparently the trip across the everglades actually strengthened the storm a bit due to the high warm water conditions in the glades right now.  It just doesn't make much sense.

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 12:54:00 PM »
Charlotte county (South of Venice, but North of Ft. Myers) got very little damage - we didn't even lose power here - but it blew the blooms off a few plants.  

Boca Raton is still without power - and the cell service is sketchy as well... I'm still waiting on an update from a friend down there.  Yet parts of Miami has power, as reported by someone else.

I don't think we'll see another storm this year though - judging by the temperature.  I hope I'm right?
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 01:09:00 PM »
A good friend in Ft. Lauderdale lost his mother Monday. She'd been quite ill for a long time, had a medical emergency but there just wasn't ambulance service available. I haven't exactly been glued to storm coverage. But does it seem that they're rather underplaying the effects in Dade and Broward?

There are not enough jails, not enough policemen, not enough courts to enforce a law not supported by the people.
-- HUBERT H. HUMPHREY, speech (1965)

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline marcwordsmith

• View Profile
    • http://www.marcwordsmith.com
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 02:04:00 PM »
I've been following it in the Miami Herald, and by phone with my mom, a friend's Dad, and an old friend of mine--all of whom are in Broward County. It's terrible. Nobody has any electricity, and the water from the tap is contaminated; they're not supposed to drink it. There are water distribution centers set up and some grocery stores like Publix are open but the lines are a block long and supplies are limited.

You can also read all about on MiamiHerald.com

Their coverage is pretty detailed. It's awful. Florida Power and Light is saying that power probably won't be restored to most of South Florida for about three or four weeks.

Miami International Airport has reopened though. The Hollywood-Ft. Laud Airport is closed indefinitely.

Offline Jupiter Survivor

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 02:57:00 PM »
My daughter is ok.  No major damage to her unit.  Others lost part of the roof and some maintance guys had to come in and cut trees out of doorways to get people out.  She still can't get gas or any supplies.  She has enough for 4-5 more days.  UPS is delivering to some of the areas.  Just sent a bunch of packages down and they said they would be there by Friday afternoon. From what she has told me, it is worse that what I have seen on the news. She just moved from Palm Beach and is now close  to Pompano/Margate area.  She said the large oak trees are mostly gone,the large power lines are down everywhere as well as a lot of debris. What stores are open are only taking cash, she can't get gas.  FEMA is a joke. People waited hours at one spot only to be told they weren't coming. Amazing UPS can get to her.  
She said a bunch of people were arrested last night for violating curfew and she has heard reports of looting.  
  Palm Beach Post, at least online, seems to be doing a good job of covering things.  They just need to get on base with were supplies can be found.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 06:21:00 PM »
major structural damage is relatively minor in dade and broward, especially considering the strength of the storm that came thru. certain areas definetly have more damage, plantation, coconut creek, margate being areas hit rather hard, but even then there's little major damage. mainly roof damage and trees down, which in some cases of course hit roofs and cars. the biggest problem will power which most areas should have restored by nov 8th, and everyone within a month. since power is scarce the number of functioning gas stations is rather low. it seems that a great deal of people did not fill up prestorm. grocery stores are opening but open till 6 to close in time for curfew. generally speaking i would say we are quite well off especially when compared to Katrina on the gulf coast. i think within 3-4 days power will be restored to a large portion of the city which should bring more gas stations back online lessing that stress and atm's and credit card machines will probably be up and running with better regularity.

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 08:12:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: Stripe on 2005-10-27 08:02 ]
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline ChrisL

• View Profile
    • http://chrislewiscpa.com
Hurricane Wilma
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 03:42:00 PM »
"FEMA is a joke. People waited hours at one spot only to be told they weren't coming. Amazing UPS can get to her. "

It was my experience that next time there is another Catastrophe the government should turn over relief coordination to Fedex, UPS & WALMART.... :grin:

Good to hear there was no one hurt...
hris Lewis
Seed 1973 -1975
AA 1991 -