Author Topic: Week 1  (Read 3339 times)

Offline whiterabbit

• View Profile
Week 1
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 11:37:00 PM »
Day after tomorrow will be 25 years since I was duped into signing myself into Straight St Pete. My 15th birthday. I was in 10th grade english class at Dixie Hollins when I got a note to report to the office. No explanation but a scrawl at the bottom to BRING BOOKS!. My parents were so somber. I thought maybe my brother was sick or someone had died. We walked into the front office at the building on Frontage Rd off Gandy BLvd. I had noticed the very limited windows and the bars on the windows at the front. I remember thinking that maybe my grandmother hadn't died but lost her mind instead and we were going to visit her in a mental institution.We were standing in the office when I saw the license on the wall-Straight Inc. I started to cry, tried to leave but a staff member and a couple of girls came and guided me into an intake room. After several hours I copped to smoking a little pot. Then the big push was on -the coercion went from sign yourself in-it's only 14 days to if you don't sign yourself in we can have you committed t a mental hospital because you've admitted to doing drugs and doing drugs is crazy. A few more hours and 14 days in some little shelter home didn't seem like such a big deal. I figured I'd just run away if it was awful. I had no idea..... I don't remember the strip search. I remember two girls walking me into the big room. One was holding each of my hands. Nothing could have prepared me for the group. The double doors opened and hot air poofed out. The group was on the floor by the kitchen service window facing the double doors. Ten minutes from the beach and these kids looked like they hadn't seen the sun in years. Sweating, strangely dressed, sunken eyes. Arms flapping madly, making funny noises and funny faces. I remember closing my eyes and thinking "this can't be real this can't be happening" My period stopped that day. That minute. I didn't get another one for almost 9 months. I went to Catha Philips house for the first few days. No suitcase, no nothing.  A paperbag with my name and a few clothing items showed up on day 2 or 3.I felt sick sooo sick. She tried to explain  the rules. She told me I had to put my hair back. I chirped that I liked my hair back, wore it that way all the time, no problem. Anything to get me out of there. I never had much more than a paper bag or two the whole ten months I was on first phase. Everything was heat and funny smells and a bad taste in my mouth. I felt sick and confused and terrified all the time. Girls standing up in front of hundreds and talking about having sex with animals. Kids with drug lists a mile long. Rules rules rules.They need to be memorized right away. Being told I would never see my friends again. Lisa brought to the back of the group and being restrained-staff pryed her mouth open and held it open with a hairbrush so they could take her gum. Kids carving on their arms.Kids who stood up and listed off their days- one girl there more than a year and started over.Crying myself to sleep every night. Praying that I would wake up and it would be just a nightmare. Oatmeal at the Deshawn's house at the crack of dawn. Loss and homesickness  and fear. Grief. I had a physical at some point in the first 2 weeks. That went so badly I checked out for days. Lost track of time altogether. I remember my first open meeting. I was supposed to be at an Eagles concert.I was supposed to be celebrating my birthday with my friends. I was sitting on front row. My first introduction. There were more than 600 in attendance-the group was at about 350 to 400. The quaking in my knees spread to my voice and soon to my whole body. Wanda Minton wicked witch of Frontage Rd.Dr Newton always red faced & angry, pacing.It was just too much. And it just went on and on and on. It didn't get better. I just got numb. Learned how to check out-get into your head. Listening to music, watching reruns of Gilligan's island, reliving a holiday. All without ever leaving my plastic blue chair.

It's late and I'm rambling. But those memories are so vivid!

I'm headed off to have happier dreams.
Night

When a well-packaged web of lies
has been sold gradually to the masses
over generations, the truth will seem
utterly preposterous and its speaker
a raving lunatic.      

--Dresden James

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight Incorporated is a disease

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Week 1
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 11:49:00 PM »
this ghey a$$ shirt today, LOL

Did you mean "gay"?

Wtf is "ghey"?

Offline PerfectStraightling

• View Profile
Week 1
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2005, 12:30:00 AM »
God what a good description.

I haven't thought about this in a while. I remember going in and talking to a lady I always figured was the lady named "Mrs Meanes" although I really wasn't sure. I just learned her name on the COC and decided that was the fucking bitch lady that did my intake. Somehow made me feel better that was her name. She asked me what I thought was a ridiculously long list of drugs which seemed especially bizarre for her to keep going all the way down the list. Surely she would not want to waste more of her time seeing as how I already told her that I never did pot, mushrooms, inhalants, oh I can't remember what they all were. I think I remember starting to laugh at one point because it seemed so ridiculous. At the end though, she just looked up at me and told me that she thought I was lying and would be staying there for a little while. I started screaming at my mother. I had grown up with my father, and had just moved in with her a few months before because my dad was abusive. All he did was scream at me constantly and tell me how stupid I was. My mother repayed me for moving in with her by putting me in straight. You see, I wasn't quite the sweet, innocent FIVE YEAR OLD she remembered me being before she lost custody of me (by the way for being addicted to valium). So she wanted her little girl back. What she got instead is that I still think about her locking me up in that hell hole every day.

I remember being in a room with two girls for the whole day. They asked me a lot of weird questions about sex and I think one of them told me I should just go ahead and clear it up then so I wouldnt' have to admit it later in front of the whole group. I think she was trying to be nice. The other girl said something to her about just to let me say what I wanted.

So then finally I was put in some ridiculous looking clothes, and brought into the group. I remember the chanting, singing, the motivating, how everyone seemed so gung ho about being there and so completely...involved with being there. EVERYONE was dying to stand up and talk about how they were a drug addict and selfish and self-centered. It's like they couldn't get enough of it. What lunatics I thought. I had never done drugs except I smoked pot one time a year before. I thought for sure I would be getting out in 2 weeks.

Finally, I remember in this van on the way to some host home that night, I said to everyone that I thought I would be leaving in two weeks. I was told that would NEVER happen. I started crying. Actually, that was probably a real blessing since I didn't have to spend the whole freaking time waiting to get taken out, although of course I still hoped.

I was so happy when that night it iced over and we were stuck in that host home for a week because of it. I just thought every day how glad I was we didn't have to go to the building. But we still followed all the rules, bathing in groups in the bathroom all in front of each other, going to the restroom in front of each other, no talking, wearing strange clothes, eating raman noodles every night for dinner (which I ordinarily liked but that was all we had to eat plus I think oatmeal for breakfast). The windows in the bedroom were alarmed, although by the time I got to bed each night, I was so exhausted that I fell asleep the moment my head hit the pillow. This wasnt even while in group yet!

Finally, the day came that we were allowed to go back to the building. That started the confrontations and hysteria surrounding my supposed drug addiction, that I refused to admit cause I was so full of shit. I refused to admit it for maybe 3 months, until I finally decided to lie and made a whole list of stuff to clear up that I never really did. I had reached some sort of breaking point. Three months though!!!

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
Week 1
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2005, 01:45:00 AM »
[ This Message was edited by: Withdraw on 2006-02-28 21:54 ]