Author Topic: Warning about Hyde School from an educational consultant  (Read 52887 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Warning about Hyde School from an educational consultant
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2009, 01:19:18 AM »
The rebels were actually conformists to their kid rebel culture. Hyde changed it for an adult authoritarian culture, co-run by the kids. Hyde is premised on the fact that it is often difficult for people to resist the norms prevalent in their societies.  You have to unlearn those lessons in conformity.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2009, 01:37:27 AM »
Conformity is not morality.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2009, 02:08:51 AM »
Quote from: "Hyde guest"
The rebels were actually conformists to their kid rebel culture. Hyde changed it for an adult authoritarian culture, co-run by the kids. Hyde is premised on the fact that it is often difficult for people to resist the norms prevalent in their societies.  You have to unlearn those lessons in conformity.
I hear what you are saying, but it was never "co-run" by the kids. That is a farce perpetrated by the keepers of the cult. They just got the kids to participate in the exacting of other kids' conformity to "the Hyde Way." Participation made one believe one had ownership of "the process."

Anyway, you left out what happens to the kids who were/are true individualists and loners. I'll tell you what happens to them. They get expelled or the school pressures them to run away. By the very nature of their last moments, and by the very nature of their inherent natures, they are cut out of the communication loop. They don't impact the bogus college attendance statistics, and others don't hear their truths. End of story.

So true.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2009, 04:41:03 AM »

It was more then just conformity.  To succeed you needed to embrace a dogma.  If you did not embrace it you were coerced to do so. If you thought differently, you were bound to fail.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2009, 05:23:40 AM »
I wonder how many embrace it, how many reject it, and how many outwardly adhere to the practices of Hyde but never really internalize them. My guess is 20-60-20.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2009, 05:24:49 AM »
I meant 20-20-60.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2009, 08:38:42 AM »
I meant 20-20-60.

One of the things that struck me, is the kids that walked with a diploma, got out and said "what a bunch of bullshit."  The motivation for Hyde, according to Joe, was a system that could not be gamed like the classical prep school model.  A couple of catch phrases come to mind like "same shit different shovel" or "met the new boss same as the old boss"  I could go on but I think you get the gist of it.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2009, 02:07:14 PM »
Quote from: "OSC"
One of the things that struck me, is the kids that walked with a diploma, got out and said "what a bunch of bullshit."  The motivation for Hyde, according to Joe, was a system that could not be gamed like the classical prep school model.  A couple of catch phrases come to mind like "same shit different shovel" or "met the new boss same as the old boss"  I could go on but I think you get the gist of it.

Methinks the shit is a mighty bit stinkier. Even the most cynical self-serving prep school, with a deeply ingrained old boy network stretching back a century, could not possibly have dealt with the abusive crap that has gone on at Hyde School with the duplicity, dishonesty, and utter lack of moral backbone that Hyde has chosen to employ. Certainly not, in this day and age, for at least thirty-five years. Which begs the question: Why?

Do these people actually believe all these kids were just bad eggs and were lying, and that they deserved to be doubly punished through their subsequent humiliation at the hands of the Hyde Mob Court? Hey, we're the "character experts" so it can't be us who is at fault!

Or are all these kids merely within the window of loss, and the ends justify the means? Sure there'll be transgressions, and it can't be helped, but we're busy saving other kids so it's all good!

Culty, culty culty!!
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2009, 07:24:33 AM »
You need Hyde to think you’re playing along. You do what you like later, but you need to make them think you’re one of them. We laughed about it all the way to graduation.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2009, 08:16:29 AM »
After all we were being schooled in sports and performing arts.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2009, 02:12:00 AM »
Quote from: "uninvited guest"
I hear what you are saying, but it was never "co-run" by the kids. That is a farce perpetrated by the keepers of the cult. They just got the kids to participate in the exacting of other kids' conformity to "the Hyde Way." Participation made one believe one had ownership of "the process."

"Co-enforced." The kids were part of the enforcement mechanism.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2009, 10:30:17 AM »
Quote from: "uninvited guest"
"Co-enforced." The kids were part of the enforcement mechanism.

H Y D E =

H itler
Y outh,
D edicated
E nforcers

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2009, 02:45:37 PM »
My former step-daughter went to Hyde and the most dangerous thing I found about Hyde  was how easily she got away with manipulating and dishonesty and in spite of being called out on it, she continued.  She accused her father of physical abuse and her mother called her out on it as an absolute lie, I called her out on it, her dad was devastated over the accusation, and nobody at the "session" seemed to be worried that she just lied, was caught dead to rights, and moved on as if nothing had happened.

Now, several years after graduation, her life skills learned at Hyde have allowed her to flunk out of community college after 3 semesters (and 6 earned credits), had her hooked up with addict after addict, fired from many jobs due to attendance issues (how can you work and drug at the same time), several pregnancy scares, and a general lack of morals. What that kid needed (and still needs) was consistant steady parents (not one self absorbed mother and alcoholic absentee father) and counseling to help with her self esteem.

Did Hyde work for her - no. Why? Because Hyde is just a place for parents to dump the kids they cant handle (She has a choice - Foster care or Hyde) and buy them a very expensive high school diploma. Or it is for parents who buy into the hype and beleive it is a life altering place for their child.  Did Hyde let her down?  No more than her parents did.  

Now as far as the cult like atmosphere.  Oh yes, it existed when we were there. Parents who express disaticfaction are treated poorly and forget about the cost and the fact that they also strong arm you for an additional "donation".  Smart kids can play the system and get by and the smart parents (who didnt want Junior living back home) play the system as well.  

And it is absolutely true that if your child runs away Hyde does tell you not to let them back home.  The Gaulds are very full of themselves and Ken and Laura are just as bad. Hardly knew the McCrans (not sure of the spelling but Duncan and his wife) because I personally dropped out of the Hyde parent program then because of what I saw as its absolute failure to do any good.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2009, 05:28:53 PM »
Quote from: "guesttttttt"
My former step-daughter went to Hyde and the most dangerous thing I found about Hyde  was how easily she got away with manipulating and dishonesty and in spite of being called out on it, she continued.  She accused her father of physical abuse and her mother called her out on it as an absolute lie, I called her out on it, her dad was devastated over the accusation, and nobody at the "session" seemed to be worried that she just lied, was caught dead to rights, and moved on as if nothing had happened.

Just for clarification, I am assuming that this was one of the seminars or Discovery groups held over the course of a Family Weekend or FLC, yes? Where there are about 20-30 other people (#?) in the room hearing your extremely private personal story and nobody there has any actual bona fide therapeutic experience or recognized credentials whatsoever, amiright? ...But Hyde seems to think that "caring" should be enough!

Now, several years after graduation, her life skills learned at Hyde have allowed her to flunk out of community college after 3 semesters (and 6 earned credits), had her hooked up with addict after addict, fired from many jobs due to attendance issues (how can you work and drug at the same time), several pregnancy scares, and a general lack of morals. What that kid needed (and still needs) was consistant steady parents (not one self absorbed mother and alcoholic absentee father) and counseling to help with her self esteem.

Did Hyde work for her - no. Why? Because Hyde is just a place for parents to dump the kids they cant handle (She has a choice - Foster care or Hyde) and buy them a very expensive high school diploma. Or it is for parents who buy into the hype and beleive it is a life altering place for their child.  Did Hyde let her down?  No more than her parents did.

Lols. IMO, Hyde School is the last place a kid in need of some self-esteem should go. Oh, they can sure heap it on the "chosen ones": offspring of the cultic elite and/or scions of very generous and well-washed benefactors, not to mention good "character development" spokes-model types for future use... But, that's hardly reality-based and doesn't always last outside of the Hyde bubble.

Perhaps more relevant to the perspective of the average kid is the fact that Hyde School sees the whole process of character development as being innately difficult and obligatorily fraught with painful soul searching. "No pain, no gain." [A particular Helen Keller quote that is plastered throughout Hyde's literature also comes to mind, but I can't seem to find it at the moment...] Hence the "Hyde experience" is filled with seemingly arbitrary tasks and group sessions that can sometimes feel like a veritable gauntlet of confrontation and humiliation.

Plus, irregardless of what they may tell parents, Hyde has tremendous disdain for any psychiatric or psychological diagnoses, so if your kid has depression, bipolar, and/or similar issues, these will be treated like character flaws. Not good for building self-esteem or as a substitute for the steady hand of loving parents, if you ask me...

Now as far as the cult like atmosphere.  Oh yes, it existed when we were there. Parents who express disaticfaction are treated poorly and forget about the cost and the fact that they also strong arm you for an additional "donation".  Smart kids can play the system and get by and the smart parents (who didnt want Junior living back home) play the system as well.  

And it is absolutely true that if your child runs away Hyde does tell you not to let them back home.  The Gaulds are very full of themselves and Ken and Laura are just as bad. Hardly knew the McCrans (not sure of the spelling but Duncan and his wife) because I personally dropped out of the Hyde parent program then because of what I saw as its absolute failure to do any good.

That "cult like atmosphere" isn't just in the air. Do searches on the Hyde School portion of fornits to find connections to: Landmark Forum, est, Lifespring, Ramtha, Mankind Project/New Warrior Training Adventure, therapeutic communities (forerunner of Guided Group Interaction and Positive Peer Culture) and more to come!  :D  

There's even a recent thread on the "Hyde-Hoffman Process," which I am interpreting as Joe's version of the Hoffman Quadrinity Process (think est + Lifespring + some psychological mumbo jumbo about finding your inner child). It appears that Hyde is now pressuring parents, staff, and alumni to take this 8-day LGAT because they will be offering it right at the school.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2009, 12:52:21 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Perhaps more relevant to the perspective of the average kid is the fact that Hyde School sees the whole process of character development as being innately difficult and obligatorily fraught with painful soul searching. "No pain, no gain." [A particular Helen Keller quote that is plastered throughout Hyde's literature also comes to mind, but I can't seem to find it at the moment...] Hence the "Hyde experience" is filled with seemingly arbitrary tasks and group sessions that can sometimes feel like a veritable gauntlet of confrontation and humiliation.

Found that Heller Keller quote, bold emphasis mine:

"Character
cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved."
    -- Helen Keller[/list]
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 01340.html[/list]