Author Topic: Verbal Razors' Big Badass Music Review  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Verbal Razors

• View Profile
Verbal Razors' Big Badass Music Review
« on: October 15, 2005, 08:53:00 AM »
Ive been asked by Frod to start a music review thread...so here it is, bitches.

This is where I go online and steal music ( fuck starving artists~ they most likely will spend CD revenue on drugs anyway~ so Ill just download the shit and keep my cash for drugs)and tell you all how bad it sucks..or how badass it is.Hell I may even steal reviews printed on other sites and give the reviewer no fucking credit whatsoever..
 Im going to use a scale of one(1) to ten(10) dirty needles.
  Got it? Good. Still with me? Big Badass review number uno incoming shortly....

[ This Message was edited by: Verbal Razors on 2005-10-15 05:55 ][ This Message was edited by: Verbal Razors on 2005-10-15 06:32 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
ever fuck with someone who has nothing to lose..

Offline Verbal Razors

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 09:30:00 AM »
EXODUS ~ Shovel Headed Kill Machine
(2005 ~ Nuclear Blast Records)
 RATING: 7 Dirty Needles

Exodus has been around since 1982ish and have to this day stayed true to their sound with no help from radio or video..
 Guitarist Gary Holt is the only remaining origional member, thanks to a substance known as methamphetamine.. Any of you remember the "Thrash of the Titans" tour circa early nineties? Well it was filmed for a VHS release and Exodus wouldnt let their footage be released because they were so tweaked on speed that thier live performance  was scattered at best.
 Anyway Gary Holt managed to get his shit together
two years ago and fired longtime co guitarist Rick Hunolt ( drug related)..their vocalist died of a stroke( no doubt drug related) but they managed to bounce back with 2004's Tempo of the Damned.
 Ok I got sidetracked...With the addition of Paul Bostaph ( Slayer, Forbidden) on drums and the return of producer Andy Sneap..they have made a truely badass album.

From the Opening track "Raeze" this is a blistering non stop kick to the fucking teeth..the guitar work is amazing..Im still getting used to the new vocalist who almost manages to keep with the patented Exodus vocal sound~ Not quite like Steve Zetro did but fuck it, it works.
  I give this album a 7 of 10 dirty needles.

[ This Message was edited by: Verbal Razors on 2005-10-15 06:31 ]
ever fuck with someone who has nothing to lose..

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 10:43:00 PM »
Hey Ther/Linch/Scar/VR,

Have you heard of RoadRunner United?  Whatcha think?

Thanks,

RTP2k3

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 06:45:00 PM »
One thing that I really fucking HATE is when some band decides to record a lame-ass cover of a song that I happen to like. Case in point: On WTMD today I heard an atrocious rendition of the song "Guns of Brixton" by The Clash. Boy, it really sucked! Not even close to as good as the original, this literal piece of pure d'crap was crooned pathetically by some pretentious Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star) wanna-be against a background of languid, jazzy (& very sucky) "music." Just terrible! Took every bit of brilliance and life that's in that song and drained ALL OF IT drop by drop...ewww. I wish I could tell you who is guilty of creating this worthless throwaway of what is actually a good song when done by THE CLASH, or even by Captain Chesapeake, but I had to change the station because it sucked so bad.....anyone ever had a similar experience?

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 10:56:00 AM »
Every version of the song "Knocking On Heaven's Door" pales in comparison to the original recording by Bob Dylan.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 01:28:00 AM »
A fair amount of Coldplay is pure garbage; some songs are pretty good though, like "Talk" for instance..
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 10:48:45 AM by Guest »

Offline fuckbuddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 10:56:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 10:57:00 PM »
More BOC. Can't get enough of that shit, love the fuzztones from the tube amps they were using on the first three records. Some coke dealer in Spain who used to write for Rolling Stone back in the 70s once wrote a 40,000 word essay on them in which he called Blue Oyster Cult "the greatest bunch of Jews ever". He got fired over it, but he may be right......I've seen these guys live about 12 times over three decades and they have never failed to kick ass during their live shows. If all you know of this band is their radio hits, you are unaware of 99% of their greatness. The first three records are excellent caches of radioactive sci-fi themed progressive metal that reduce cities to slag on the advent of the Apocalypse. With their cryptic, often menacing lyrical themes, obscure references, and esoteric wit combined with their stunning instrumentalism (culminating in the virtuoso guitar magic of Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser, but also encompassing the fiendishly amazing Bouchard brothers in the rhythm section, and Allen Lanier's somber keyboard mastery), Blue Oyster Cult have blown minds all over the planet and throughout time. A friend in jr. high borrowed my copy of Cultosaurus Erectus and told me that after smoking out and listening to it, "halfway through side 2 I was convinced I heard brontosauruses growing outside in my back yard". Ahh, the wonders of youth......

More Roky Erickson. The man is a god, I tell you, a FUCKING GOD!!!!!!! WAHHHHH!!!! YEAH!!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP YEAH!!!!

I just borrowed a copy of a reissue of I Think Of Demons, considered by many afficianados to be his finest reord. Opening with "Two Headed Dog", this is a damn fine album by one of the truly great unknown heroes of Rock and Roll. It really bothers me that Roky never got the wider acclaim that he deserves, with the 13TH Floor Elevators or for his solo work. His fanbase is composed primarily of a bunch of drug crazed weirdos and record store clerks, though many of them have gone on to form bands that you may actually own records by. The man is a fucking GOD, I tell you, a fucking GOD!!!!

Also listened to a Jesus and Mary Chain CD, Barbed Wire Kisses, which is a collection of B-sides and such. I remember really liking Psychocandy when it came out, but I lost touch with the band for a while after that. My roommate turned me on to them again one night while we were tripping on LSD about ten or twelve years ago, one of the last times I ingested that particular substance. I always liked their druggie vibe, even if they do come off as kinda snotty. Plus, they have a song called "Bo Diddley Is Jesus", and that's pretty cool. (Did you know Bo Diddley wrote the song "Pills" that the New York Dolls made famous? Neither did I, there's a good article in Rolling Stone a couple of months ago about Bo; we live in the same town, a few years ago he was living next door to a friend of mine, I saw him out in the yard and talked to him for a while. He was very cordial, and was kind eno9ugh to put up with some of my drunk-assed questions that I'm sure he's answered a million times before. For the record, he said that he got the "Bo Diddley beat" from trying to copy the Roy Rogers tune "I Got Spurs That Go Jingle Jangle Jingle" [not the name of the song, but that's how Bo sang it to me that evening] What a truly remarkable man, and one hell of a nice guy. Another great that doesn't get the accolades he deserves. If there was justice in the world, Bo Diddley would be richer than Paul McCartney andElton John combined, but there ain't, so he lives next door to a drunk ex-junkie bitch who moved here from Colorado.)

Offline fuckbuddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »
I just borrowed a copy of a reissue of I Think Of Demons, considered by many afficianados to be his finest reord. Opening with "Two Headed Dog", this is a damn fine album by one of the truly great unknown heroes of Rock and Roll. It really bothers me that Roky never got the wider acclaim that he deserves, with the 13TH Floor Elevators or for his solo work. His fanbase is composed primarily of a bunch of drug crazed weirdos and record store clerks, though many of them have gone on to form bands that you may actually own records by. The man is a fucking GOD, I tell you, a fucking GOD!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more. Roky has a truly unique voice and was a brilliant songwriter. He's right up there with Neil Young in that respect. What the hell happened?

Offline fuckbuddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 12:39:00 AM »
What a truly remarkable man, and one hell of a nice guy. Another great that doesn't get the accolades he deserves.

I love Bo Diddley.

Offline fuckbuddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 09:59:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »
On 2006-01-19 18:59:00, Soul Survivor wrote:

"A good band:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Of_Burma"

Oh yeah.  "When I Reach For My Revolver" is a great song.