Author Topic: Why Are People Homeless  (Read 4752 times)

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« on: September 30, 2005, 04:11:00 PM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 01:13:00 AM »
NPR's Marketplace presented a series of commentaries on Povery, post hurricanes, posing two questions: Does poverty serve anyone's interests? If so, whose?
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/feat ... tycomment/

All were good, but I particularly enjoyed Evelyn Dortch, founder of DAWG
http://www.geocities.com/itsdadawg/

She tells of a million dollar program that had about 20 people particpating, to teach the poor how to apply make-up and deodorant. I agreed with her, that those funds could've been best used to teach a marketable skill.

and Bruce Bartlett- National Center for Policy Analysis

Bartlett elaborates, that the presence of poor folks creates jobs and opportunity for 'helpers'.

POVERTY STATS 2004:
Overall American poverty rate: 12.7% percent (up from 12.5% in 2003)

In 2004, 37 million people were in poverty (up 1.1 million from 2003)

Poverty level for a household with two children under age 18: $19,157

17% of American children live in families with below-poverty incomes

Since 2003 the number of people who work but remain in poverty increased by 563,000 (from 5.8% to 6.1%)

Federal minimum wage: $5.15/hour

Annual salary at a full-time minimum wage job: $10,712

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 05:18:00 PM »
On 2005-09-30 13:11:00, webcrawler wrote:

"Long, but great read.

http://www.mihomeless.org/mcahdocuments ... meless.pdf"

An excellent description that covers it all.  Maybe people whose armchair fix for homelessness is that they "Get a job" should read it.

I moved to SW Florida after the hurricanes redecorated the area, and I'm still amazed at how the housing prices have damned near TRIPLED while people are still living in FEMA parks.  How do they have a chance in hell of rebuilding?

I also heard another nugget the other day:  A customer of mine asked me to excuse his living room because his housekeeper was forced to cut her hours.  Apparently, those still living in the FEMA trailers are only allowed to work under 30 hours a week, even though they don't have homes to go to.

Now you gotta think - what does a housekeeper make? Maybe 10 bucks an hour if they work with an agency (as this girl does).  That grosses what... 300 a week, 1200 a month.  The average RENTAL in this area is $1000.  You can get something really scuzzy for $800.

Yet, there are people actually BITCHING that people in the FEMA parks are still "sponging off the government".  

Yeah, there are people out there that won't do shit for themselves, and make shitty decisions and wind up homeless.  But when someone wants to make a change, and find themselves limited on what they can do, how does that help the problem?

And I can only go by what I know - which is what I've described.  But I'm also told that in other areas of the country, the homeless problem is compounded by outlandish housing prices, but the programs that are supposed to help people get into homes severely limit them in income.

Habitat for Humanity is a great idea - however, you don't qualify unless you have children.  So what is one to do if they don't?  What about the people that are physically or mentally unable to work?  What about the 55-plusser who simply isn't hirable?

Ah, the list goes on.  But this problem has been around for decades, and it's only getting worse, and I don't believe that the average homeless person wants to be homeless.
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 05:37:00 PM »
Heh heh, hell $10 is being generous for working as a maid with a service. Out here it's $7 or $8 an hour and the average 3 bedroom apt is at least $1000 a month. Yeah, so many people just don't get it or just don't care.

Another thing that sickens me is to see our govt failing vets. It breaks my heart to see so many of them out here homeless. Regardless of my feelings about war the govt should be doing more for the people that served their country instead of just using them as pawns and disgarding them when no longer needed.

Have you ever read this book:
http://www.henryholt.com/holt/nickelanddimed.htm

It was a pretty decent read. At first I was refusing to read it and was a little upset that an upper middle class woman wrote about her experiment of living in poverty and being homeless because there are plenty of people struggling out here that can tell their stories with just as much validity, if not more. So anyhow, I ended up reading this book and opened my mind and I was pretty impressed how she accurately portrayed people and how she understood how hard it is for people to make it out here.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 05:50:00 PM »
On 2005-10-01 14:37:00, webcrawler wrote:

"Heh heh, hell $10 is being generous for working as a maid with a service. Out here it's $7 or $8 an hour and the average 3 bedroom apt is at least $1000 a month. Yeah, so many people just don't get it or just don't care.

I hear ya - it's ridiculous.  The places I'm describing here are the ones that I've looked at, which are two bedrooms.  Three bedrooms cost an extra 300-500.  I'm renting a pretty decent house - but for the life of me, I'll never understand why the showerhead is 5 feet high!  Very small builders?

Another thing that sickens me is to see our govt failing vets. It breaks my heart to see so many of them out here homeless. Regardless of my feelings about war the govt should be doing more for the people that served their country instead of just using them as pawns and disgarding them when no longer needed.

My own father is a vet and holds some kind of office with his local VFW.  I've heard the same shit from him, along the lines of "These guys don't want help - they can make 30K standing on the side of the road ... don't you give them a dime!"

Needless to say, my conversations with my dad revolve around computers, food and wine.

Have you ever read this book:

http://www.henryholt.com/holt/nickelanddimed.htm

It was a pretty decent read. At first I was refusing to read it and was a little upset that an upper middle class woman wrote about her experiment of living in poverty and being homeless because there are plenty of people struggling out here that can tell their stories with just as much validity, if not more. So anyhow, I ended up reading this book and opened my mind and I was pretty impressed how she accurately portrayed people and how she understood how hard it is for people to make it out here."

Unless it comes on an audiobook, it will have to go on my "to read" list. :smile:

That's another thing - and I'm not giving blatant morons excuses - but I think a portion of the ignorance comes from being too damned busy making money to KEEP their homes, that they're not able to read things or do independent research, or consider anything outside of their own lives.  

Ignorance is curable - stupidity is not.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 11:09:00 PM »
On 2005-10-01 14:50:00, Helena Handbasket wrote:

...a portion of the ignorance comes from being too damned busy making money to KEEP their homes, that they're not able to read things or do independent research, or consider anything outside of their own lives.  

"

You have pin-pointed the very essence of the Con.  This is the dirty little open secret of our economic system, and the key to how 95% of the population gets screwed by the other 5%.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 11:56:00 PM »
I share your sentiments webcrawler, but perhaps it takes a MC white woman to present it so other MC folks can hear.
Here's a review of N&D

Servant leadership defiled:
Reflections on Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed
By C. Melissa Snarr
In 1998, Barbara Ehrenreich decided to join the millions of Americans who work full-time [yet still] and earn poverty-level wages. Ehrenreich, a nationally renowned writer who contributes to The New York Times, Time, and The New Republic, wanted to cover the impact of welfare reform by immersing herself in the world of the working poor in the United States. She and her editor openly wondered how anyone could survive, let alone prosper, on six to seven dollars an hour. He challenged her to find out. So began a yearlong journey, during which Ehrenreich left her home, took the cheapest lodgings she could find, and accepted whatever jobs she was offered as an inexperienced homemaker returning to the workforce.

Criss-crossing the country from Florida to Maine to Minnesota, Ehrenreich worked as a waitress, a hotel maid, a cleaning woman, a nursing aide, and a Wal-Mart sales clerk. As Ehrenreich remarks, she quickly discovered that no job is truly ?unskilled,? that even the lowliest occupations require exhausting mental and muscular effort. She also learned that one job is not enough; you need at least two if you intend to live indoors.  :lol:

Ehrenreich?s book, Nickel and Dimed, offers a fascinating account of one woman?s attempt to live on ?low-skill? wages in different service industries and her daily struggle to survive. Ehrenreich is honest about the constructed reality of her experience. She could always opt out of extreme hardship (medically, physically). She started with a thousand dollars in her pocket and chose cities that had relatively good labor markets. But her book does offer the reader an easy entry into the complex world of the working poor. I hope she will spur readers to think and read more about living wages, affordable housing, accessible healthcare, and the role of unions for the working poor. But for those of us working in various ?servant leadership? enterprises, Ehrenreich?s book should raise these issues and more. We should think carefully about the damage wrought by hypocrisy.

?Servant Leaders??
Ehrenreich?s final job in her immersion experience was at a Minnesota Wal-Mart where she earned seven dollars an hour. ?Barbara? (as her nametag read) worked full time keeping the ladies? clothing department ?shoppable? (picking up after customers and arranging clothes). She worked the 2 to 11pm shift full-time and had to negotiate skillfully her two fifteen-minute breaks, when, ?there?s the question of how to make the best use of a fifteen-minute break when you have three or more urgent, simultaneous needs?to pee, to drink something, to get outside the neon and into the natural light, and most of all, to sit down.?

Ehrenreich?s experience at Wal-Mart was not significantly different from the struggles, friendships, and burdens in her other jobs. What was different for Ehrenreich was the language and culture that enwrapped her Wal-Mart experience. From the time Ehrenreich entered orientation, she was told that ?respect for the individual? was a key value for Wal-Mart. As the trainers noted, some of the best ideas often come from employees, or ?associates,? such as the decision to employ the elderly as ?people greeters? at the entrance of every store. Because their ideas are welcome and valued, ?associates? are told to think of their managers not as bosses but as ?servant leaders,? serving them as well as the customers.
And then Ehrenreich says it wryly: ?Of course, all is not total harmony, in every instance, between associates and their servant leaders.?
For immediately following the trainers? assurance, the ?servant leaders? show the associates a video warning about criminal activity and a video entitled ?You?ve Picked a Great Place to Work,? warning about the sedition of unions. Then comes the lecture on ?time-theft.? Doing anything other than working on company time, including phone calls, bathroom breaks, and talking to other associates, is strictly forbidden. [Work, or prison??] In fact, throughout the chapter, Howard, the assistant manager, becomes a lurking figure who constantly catches associates in ?time theft? as they talk with each other.

The lurking image of Howard could provoke in the reader just a disappointed smile about another manager?s use and abuse of the term ?servant leader.? But there are deeper issues to be seen in Ehrenreich?s work. There is a more thorough challenge to ?servant leadership? intrinsic in organizations that pay low-income or ?poverty? wages.?

Structural Issues Matter
The fact is that most employees in low-paid service jobs cannot afford to support themselves, let alone a family, on seven or eight dollars an hour.

For example, to be deemed affordable, rents usually need to be at 30% of one?s income. But as Ehrenereich notes, housing analysts report that 59% of poor renters, or 4.4 million households, spend more than 50% of their income on housing.

As ?Barbara? quickly found out, without the first month?s rent, it?s extremely difficult to secure a ?legitimate apartment.? Budget hotels become the primary option. Even with two jobs amounting to $320 dollars a week, the $179 budget hotel took 55% of her income. Ehrenreich then turned to aid agencies whose lists, she discovered, are already out of date. The agency finally suggested she move into a shelter until she could save enough money. Ehrenreich writes, ?our bright blue vests bear the statement ?At Wal-Mart, our people make the difference.? Underneath those vests, though, there are real-life charity cases, maybe even shelter dwellers.?

Affordable housing shortages abound in US cities and they actually get tougher in stronger economic times. As former HUD Secretary Andrew Cuomo notes, the ?cruel irony? of affordable housing shortage is that ?the stronger the economy, the stronger the upward pressure on rents.? This cycle seems particularly cruel. Ehrenreich bemoans, ?The rich and the poor, who are generally thought to live in a state of harmonious interdependence?the one providing cheap labor, the other providing low-wage jobs?can no longer coexist.?

Ehrenreich?s book is rich with anecdotes that illustrate some of the daily-ness of a working poor person. One employee continually comes by to negotiate the seven dollar collared shirt that has a stain on it. (Employees must wear collared shirts). She is finally told that employees do not receive any discounts on sale items. Suddenly the seven-dollar shirt no longer fits into the budget of the seven-dollar-an-hour employee. For students or people unaware of the dynamics of poverty, the book provides memorable moments that illustrate daily struggles.

But Ehrenreich?s final rant should give those studying ?servant leadership? a more thorough pause: ?Someone has to puncture the prevailing fiction that we?re ?family? here, we ?associates? and our ?servant leaders,? held together solely by our commitment to the ?guests.? After all, you?d need a lot stronger word than dysfunctional to describe a family where a few people get to eat at the table while the rest?the ?associates? and all the dark-skinned seamstresses and factory workers worldwide who make the things we sell?lick up the drippings from the floor: psychotic would be closer to the mark.?

Yes ?Barbara,? please puncture the prevailing fiction. And do it pointedly. For servant leadership is about a call to meet the highest priority needs of those in an organization and community, not staving off unionization. Servant leadership is about individuals having caring relationships in the organization, but it is also about the wages and policies of an organization.

In my view, and in Robert Greenleaf?s view, servant leadership is about how individuals and organizations embody healing and generativity in the world. ?Servant leaders? do not have the option to ignore the impact of wages, adequate health care, and affordable housing on individuals and communities. To promote ?servant leadership? without an eye to how love links to dignity and justice is to miss the heart of servant leadership.

Ehrenreich?s work in Nickel and Dimed should remind all readers that structural issues such as living wages, adequate health care, and affordable housing matter. As educators and trainers, we have an obligation to say that they should matter even more to ?servant leaders.?
1 Spears, Larry. ?Tracing the Impact of Servant Leadership,? Insights on Leadership. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1998, p3.
2 Dreier, Peter. ?Why America?s Workers Can?t Pay the Rent,? Dissent, Summer 2000, pp38-44.
3 Spears, p3.

There are some good links in another thread here:
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... t=80#54995

The Living Wage Campaign is a good one to support:
http://www.universallivingwage.org/
Be sure to check out the ULW Formula:
http://www.universallivingwage.org/

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 01:15:00 PM »
On 2005-10-01 20:09:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-10-01 14:50:00, Helena Handbasket wrote:

...a portion of the ignorance comes from being too damned busy making money to KEEP their homes, that they're not able to read things or do independent research, or consider anything outside of their own lives.  

"

You have pin-pointed the very essence of the Con.  This is the dirty little open secret of our economic system, and the key to how 95% of the population gets screwed by the other 5%."

Well yeah, but it's nothing we all didn't already know.  So we got the problem pinned down, so where's the solution?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »
I don't think the majority of people know this. And I've come to doubt that they would do a darn thing if they did.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »
I read Nickel and Dimed. That is a fantastic read.

Here is one thing that Americans should do: you fucking go through an agency to hire a housekeeper? Fuck that shit. What the fuck is your problem? They are paid a FRACTION of what the bossy-boss takes in. HIRE YOUR FUCKING HELP YOUR DAMN FUCKING LAZY ASS SELF! Get a goddamned clue. Jesus fucking christ. If your "maid" doesn't have her own transportation, FUCKING GO PICK HER UP!  Pay her a Good Wage. Get your neighbors to hire her, or him, excuse me. Work it the fuck out, people.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »
Sell one of your damn antiques or some of the shit in your house you never use anyway and buy him or her a little used car. Okay? It's not that hard.

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »
On 2005-10-02 10:31:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

I don't think the majority of people know this. And I've come to doubt that they would do a darn thing if they did. "

Well, maybe I'm a little naive... I've only been on this planet for 36 years.  I've been told (not so nicely) that those in power are there for a reason, and the older, white gentlemen know a hell of a lot more than the rest of us schmoes.

So yeah, logic follows that they plain-out don't give a fuck.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 11:44:00 PM »
A Poverty Of Understanding
Nancy Cauthen
September 30, 2005

Dr. Nancy Cauthen is deputy director of the National Center for Children in Poverty, the nation?s leading public policy center dedicated to promoting the health, economic security, and well-being of America?s most vulnerable children and families. NCCP is a non-partisan, public interest organization that creates knowledge to find solutions at the state and national levels. For more information, visit: http://www.nccp.org.

In the wake of the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina?and the contribution of various governments to the catastrophe?we suddenly have national leaders talking about poverty.  Not surprisingly, they?re simply talking past one another.

For starters, they can?t agree on the nature and depth of poverty in the United States.  Using the federal government?s official poverty measure?which is about $16,000 annually for a family of three and $19,000 for a family of four?17 percent of the nation?s children are living in poor families.  That?s 12 million children, and the number is increasing.

Perhaps most stunning is that 7 percent of children?5 million?live in families with incomes of less than half the poverty level.  That?s a paltry sum?less than $8,000 for a family of three and $9,600 for a family of four.

These are the official statistics.  But just about everyone agrees that the feds? current measure is woefully out of date.  We measure poverty by a standard set more than 40 years ago. Data collected in the 1950s indicated that families spent about one-third of their income on food. Poverty is still measured by multiplying the cost of the U.S. Department of Agriculture?s ?economy food plan? by three.

Our national poverty figures obscure dramatic variation by place and race.  In New Hampshire, 7 percent of children are poor, whereas in Arkansas, the figure is 25 percent.  About 10 percent of white children live in poverty, while roughly 30 percent of African-American and Latino children do.  Before Katrina, 38 percent of children in New Orleans were poor.

Of course these days, food comprises far less than a third of an average family?s expenses, while housing, child care, heath care, and transportation costs have grown disproportionately.  What?s more, the official poverty measure doesn?t take in account government benefits, payroll and income taxes, or work-related expenses such as child care and transportation.  Does a national poverty standard make sense in a country where the cost of living varies substantially not only from state to state?say, from California to Kansas?but also between cities and rural areas within states?

Most analyses?including those from the U.S. Census Bureau?suggest that taking all these factors into account would increase poverty rates.  No administration has wanted to take on this burden, so we continue to measure poverty by an irrelevant metric.

But research indicates that it takes an income of anywhere between ONE AND A HALF TO THREE TIMES the current poverty level to meet basic family needs.  Using twice the poverty level as a proxy, 38 percent of the nation?s children?some 29 million?are living in families with inadequate incomes.  The bottom line is that by any reasonable standard, we have a big problem.

So what can be done?  First, we?re long overdue for an intelligent conversation about why the richest country in the world has the highest poverty rate among advanced democratic nations.

There simply AREN'T ENOUGH JOBS THAT PAY DECENT WAGES, especially for those who lack a college degree.  We spend far more money on medical care than other nations, yet we have 44 million people without health insurance.  Our neglect of public education leaves many graduates unprepared for work or for college.  And mounting tuition means that higher education is increasingly out of reach.  Many of our preschoolers languish in child care settings that lack appropriate supervision, stimulation and nurturance, their caregivers often making poverty-level wages themselves.

These realities also make maintaining a middle-class existence more precarious.  Many middle-income families are merely one crisis?a medical emergency, job loss or divorce?away from financial ruin.  Fewer employers offer the kind of job stability they used to, and fewer provide employees with pensions and affordable health care.

The divide between the affluent and average working American families?let?s not forget that the majority of poor families have at least one worker?is most clear when it comes to assets.  The richest 5 percent of American households control nearly 60 percent of the nation?s wealth, while the BOTTOM 40 PERCENT HAVE LESS THAN A PERCENT.  What?s more, low- and middle-income families are increasingly saddled with debt.  Given an inability to make ends meet, not to mention the spiraling cost of housing, millions of Americans are literally mortgaging their futures.

Only after we acknowledge this growing divide between the well-heeled haves and everybody else can we begin to have a meaningful dialogue about policy.  We need to confront two major challenges.

We need a bold agenda that supports working families so that parents can once again aspire to providing their children with a better future.  This means addressing stagnating wages and families? need for workplace flexibility.  It means improving public education?including integrating our schools not just across race and ethnic lines but also across income?and increasing access to higher ed.  It means figuring out how to make decent housing, health care and child care affordable for all.  It means rebuilding our public institutions and national infrastructure.

A clear lesson from the New Deal and Great Society is that the most successful programs?Social Security, Unemployment Insurance and Medicare?target people across income.  In contrast, means-tested programs tend to be meager and stigmatizing.  As the saying goes, programs for poor people are poor programs.

The second challenge is to address the needs of the most disadvantaged.  Before Katrina, more than half of New Orleans residents did not own their homes; one in five households did not have a car, and eight percent had no phone service.  Families trapped by this kind of deep poverty?and living in neighborhoods with high concentrations of poor people?need more than the Band-Aid© approaches that have passed for anti-poverty programs in the past.

Thousands of Americans have been prompted by Katrina to ask what kind of society we want to have.  Rising inequality?and the near absence of any meaningful level of social mobility?belie America?s promise of equality, opportunity and justice for all.  After 25 years of talk about ?personal responsibility,? it?s time to talk also about the obligations of government to its citizens.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 12:53:00 PM »
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 791517.htm
Real homes key to solving homelessness

By Patty Fisher

Mercury News

Twenty years ago, Americans approached the homeless problem much as we would an earthquake or hurricane: We opened shelters. We thought that if homeless people just had a temporary roof, then they'd be back on their feet in no time.

But we were wrong. The homeless population grew. The shelters stayed full. So we built more shelters because we didn't understand the nature of the problem. Homelessness is indeed a temporary crisis for some people, like so many of those wiped out in the Gulf Coast by Katrina. But for those who suffer from mental illness or drug dependency -- about one-third of the homeless population -- it can be a lifelong condition. For them, the answer is a permanent home.

That's all Susan wants.

She became homeless after bipolar disorder and alcoholism robbed her of her job as a registered nurse, her apartment, her car and her ability to cope with day-to-day life. When a debilitating stroke landed her in the hospital, she connected with social workers who found her a bed at the Spring Street Shelter in Redwood City.

``As soon as I walked into Spring Street, I knew I was home,'' said Susan, 55, who asked that I not print her last name.

But while Spring Street may be homey, it's not really home. Like other emergency shelters, it's just a triage station for the homeless, where they get some help -- and then must move on.

No place to call home

The problem is that there aren't enough places for people like Susan to move on to. That's why the opening of the Belmont Apartments is such welcome news. The 24-unit complex off El Camino Real in Belmont will provide permanent, affordable homes for low-income mentally ill people who otherwise would be on the streets, in shelters or in jail.

The non-profit Mental Health Association of San Mateo County, which built the $5.5 million complex with public and private money, will provide on-site case management, peer counseling and other services that the mentally ill need to live on their own.

A similar vision -- on a much larger scale -- is taking shape in Palo Alto at the Opportunity Center of the Midpeninsula, which opens next summer. The Opportunity Center will provide daytime services for the local homeless population and 89 apartments, of which 35 will be reserved for people with mental or physical disabilities.

Innvision has opened several smaller supportive housing complexes in San Jose, serving about 300 people who are mentally ill or survivors of domestic violence.

This is the 21st century homeless solution. The feds and the states have set a goal of ending homelessness in a decade, and fortunately they realize that the only way they have a prayer of reaching that goal is to build homes, not homeless shelters.

Focusing on abilities

With airy patios, lots of storage space and soothing blue hues, the Belmont Apartments feel like home. Caseworkers will be there to check in with residents, who will be free to come and go as they please.

``Being mentally ill can be very isolating,'' said Melissa Platte, executive director of the Mental Health Association of San Mateo County. ``Here they will be living together in a safe environment, where people know you have disabilities, but they focus on your abilities.''

Susan has applied for one of the 450-square-foot studios. Her rent would be one-third of the $1,280 a month she gets from SSI and a part-time job as a dog groomer.

While Spring Street Shelter has been a supportive place for her, Susan thinks she's ready for a place of her own. And Belmont seems like the perfect fit. She even has a pet blue beta fish, which will match the blue carpet and countertops.
Patty Fisher writes about the Peninsula on Wednesday and Saturday. Contact her at [email protected] or call (650) 688-7510.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 02:29:00 PM »
At $425 for 450sf or .95/sf, doesn't sound like any special deal for the residents. The apartment owner is charging market rates and the rents are guarenteed, no philanthropy here. What a sweet deal!! As good as Section 8. How long till these places will be run down because the owner pockets all the cash and puts none back into the property.

What might they get for one-quarter their income? Ya know that was the standard until the cost of living exceeding income potential. Hell, you can buy a house now without divulging your income.

Maybe the poor should catch on and get themselves a dx so they can draw SSI and have a decent place to live. I'm sure there are a large number who feel they can't 'cope with day-to-day life' on skid row.