Author Topic: One of My Memories  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
One of My Memories
« on: September 29, 2005, 01:02:00 PM »
During this time I?ve been reading through this website some memories have come back. I wanted to share a story, if I may. This one in particular is more light-hearted than most, but shows how someone could use the ?knowledge? that we were force-fed to beat the system itself.

I went through the intake process, uneventful as far as some described here, but I went through nonetheless. As the intake progressed I got the feeling that I may be searched at some point. I happened to have a stash and an old wood pipe in my pocket (you see I thought I'd be going to the beach afterwards so I came prepared). At some point, I don't remember if I was left alone or if everyone was distracted, but I was able to get the stash and pipe out of my pocket and into the couch crease behind me without anyone noticing. Big deal, right?

Well, fast forward. I proceeded through the program and made it to fifth phase and after an open meeting one night my newcomer and I were told to wait in the intake rooms until it was time to leave. It was the same intake room where I was "interviewed". Of course my curiosity got the best of me. I had to check the couch never expecting that my stash would still be there.....but it was! So, I had a dilemma. Should I tell that it was mine from a year prior? If I did that I would certainly be ?honest?, but certainly be started over as well. My rational side took over, so I lied. I told staff that when I sat down I noticed a lump in the couch and this is what I found. I was praised and not long after that I graduated. But the kicker is that I was invited to join staff as well. I did and went to junior staff, but left by the time I was 16 as I?ve said before.

This is an entirely true story. I hadn?t thought about this in 20 years. Had I been caught I would have been started over or at least demoted and more than likely experienced some of the awful things that I have read here. I was a lucky liar or maybe just ?conning my way through?.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
One of My Memories
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 03:13:00 PM »
:smile:  :lol:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
One of My Memories
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 03:32:00 PM »
This story would be so much better if you had smoked weed out of the pipe, passed it to your newcomer, with both of you copping out while you were still high.

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
One of My Memories
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »
Fuck Yeah !! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
One of My Memories
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 03:53:00 PM »
But it's all true.

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
One of My Memories
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 03:56:00 PM »
yeah ?? No doubt.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
One of My Memories
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 04:58:00 PM »
You don't have to believe me, but it's true.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
One of My Memories
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 05:02:00 PM »
We believe you. You did exactly what a good Straightling would have done, Heh ..

Offline The Breeze

• View Profile
One of My Memories
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 12:58:00 AM »
OK....the story is true...though it's amazing that it laid there so long without being discovered.  I believe had I been on 5th phase I'd would have done the same thing.  If you had admitted it was yours you defintately would have been started over, versus dropped a phase....at least at the straight I went to.

One question...what straight did you go to?  We dind't have couches in our (Springfield) intake rooms.  At least not while I was there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
One of My Memories
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 10:26:00 AM »
It was St. Pete.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
One of My Memories
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 02:00:00 PM »
Could this have really happened?

Offline ex-prisoner

• View Profile
One of My Memories
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 11:16:00 PM »
This is SILLY!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
One of My Memories
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 12:06:00 AM »
What, your straight didn't have couches in the intake rooms? Pffftt... :lol:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
One of My Memories
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 02:25:00 PM »
I'm not sure why I started thinking about Straight today... So, I went to my computer and typed in 7-stepper hoping to find something but I didn't. After typing in "Straight Inc." though...a whole bunch of stuff came up.
I was one of the ones who truly embraced straight. I worked hard to get through and went on staff for 5-6 years. I graduated in Michigan and went to California to work there. Straight took over Dr. Newton's KIDS program and then I was transferred to St. Pete in 1990. I worked w/Liz Gay in Florida until  they closed around 1991-92. Liz was one of the most understanding, easy to talk to persons I've ever met.
I was in bad shape when I  went in. I smoked pot 4-5 times a day plus whatever other drugs I could get a hold of and my life was generally out of control. I met people in Straight who, when they finally opened up, were just like me in spite of their pasts.
I'd enjoy hearing from anyone who was in Michigan in '86 and California in '89 or '90 or Florida after that. Chances are we might know one another.
I can't say that straight was the ideal place because I remember the chaos too. However, it was such a HUGE part of my life that it would simply be nice to reconnect w/someone who also went through what I (we) did.
Feel free to contact me: [email protected]

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
One of My Memories
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 02:39:00 PM »
Hi Len,

You were on staff during my program and I'm curious do you even feel bad about the way you treated people? You were actually one of the milder staff members, but none the less I want to know if you have any regrets of ever going on staff.

You were one of the people I was intimidated by and let me say it did wonders for my anxiety being a nervous wreck in group each day and wondering if I would be next to be set back for some percieved wrong.

I hope you stick around as I think it would be helpful to have some honest dialouge.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.