Author Topic: Bipolar Meds  (Read 17400 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« on: September 28, 2005, 07:10:00 PM »
I have the same problem I've been seeing amongst others around this site. A younger family member of mine was sent to Rocky Mountain Academy, and his parents won't talk to me about the place.

Clinical services at the school, or from what I read, possibly at NIBH, diagnosed him with bipolar disorder, and I believe he met with a man named George Ulrich, so that would mean they prescribed something to him?

Those who know about the whole medication process at CEDU, can you help me out a bit and tell me what he faced? What meds were the most popular in cases of bipolar (and therefore likely prescribed to him)? Is there a possibility of wrongdoing in his diagnosis in the name of profit?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Tamsin

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 08:25:00 PM »
If you do a search on Dr. Ulrich on this site, you will find postings by ex staff and students who question his medical ethics. It seems that he was an over prescriber. (Make sure its the right Doc because I seem to recall hearing about a LARS Ulrich.)

Many kids are often mislabled bipolar for the purpose of convenience. Some people would rather slap a label on someone and medicate them then take responsibility or figure out what is really going on.

There are various different meds for bipolar disorder, ranging from the traditional Lithium to anti convulsants that also help people with epilepsy or migraines. I know Depakote and Verapamil are also prescribed.  Even fish oil. It depends on the severity of the disorder as well as the type of bipolar, I or II. Type I is the classic manic depression; type 2 is a little more nebulous. It includes depression with irritability and a milder mania, hypo-mania. Supposedly, type II shows up earlier than type I. Many people with Type II that I know of say their condition can be greatly improved with a low sugar diet, exercise, and daily high doses of fish oil, which acts as a mood stabilizer.  (Tons of new research on this.)

But what the hell?  Don't listen to me, I'm not a doctor. I just play one on TV.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 10:15:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »
If you do a search on Dr. Ulrich on this site, you will find postings by ex staff and students who question his medical ethics. It seems that he was an over prescriber. (Make sure its the right Doc because I seem to recall hearing about a LARS Ulrich.)

Lars Ulrich is from Metallica, silly!  :wink:

(Or maybe you knew that already and were joking?)

I wonder what kinds of things Lars would have prescribed?

He probably would also yell at you in raps for pirating his music and shorting him another $15.00 in CD sales.

Offline Tamsin

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 11:09:00 PM »
Lars, George... Whatever. They both specialize in alternating moods. I mean altering moods.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 11:34:00 PM »
Haha. Thanks for your responses. Which doctor do you play?

Offline Tamsin

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 10:36:00 AM »
I forgot to add that clinical services at the school will most likely show bias in favor of diagnosing a student in an effort to either justify the student's enrollment or justify giving meds that may make the student more compliant.

It's tricky. I've known a lot of people in the psychiatric field, and it is difficult to find true competency.  There are a lot of caring people, but not a lot of gifted psychs. Why? Because unlike diabetes or high blood pressure, mental illness cannot be proven by blood or other medical tests with certitude.  

Every time my friends and I look over the criteria for different mood or personality disorders, we end up diagnosing everyone we know, including ourselves, with every disorder imaginable.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 08:41:00 PM »
My son was on 5 meds before he was at BCA and Dr. Ullrich REDUCED the number to 2.

So I don't think he always over medicated. His goal was to get my son to have the lowest dosages of the least number of meds.

Offline absolutebest

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 12:13:00 AM »
Dr. Ulrich was the one that eventually pulled me off of meds.
dam Best RMA 1994-96 (PG61)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 12:33:00 AM »
On 2005-10-27 17:41:00, Anonymous wrote:

"My son was on 5 meds before he was at BCA and Dr. Ullrich REDUCED the number to 2.

So I don't think he always over medicated. His goal was to get my son to have the lowest dosages of the least number of meds.

"

Congratulations. Your kid was lucky. Way to invalidate the rest of us who were on zero meds before BCA and ended up drugged out of our minds on seraquil and lithium and whatever other goodies Ulrich had in store for us.

Offline banana rama

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 01:07:00 PM »
ulrich was out of control... was barely 100 lbs and he had me on 3 meds--depakote, zoloft and trazadone--and before i left, he was planning to put me on tegretol.  yeah, what a way to keep someone down.  

one kid was on, i think, 13 med.  he eventually got off, but i remember the torture he must have went through drinking crushed up pills in apple cider when some guys broke into the medicine closet-thing at RMA.

im on nothing now.  diet has really helped.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 04:14:00 PM »
What was the purpose of that particular mix?  What does each med do?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 04:44:00 PM »
That's what I never understood. It was commonplace to see a kid down about 5 or 6 different pills in the med line at night. How the fuck could any of them have been doing any good when they're mixed together like that? And some of those anti depressants that made kids gain a ton of weight, how the fuck is that supposed to help a kid's depression?? "Yeah well you might be a fatass now but at least you won't cry about anything else anymore".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 04:53:00 PM »
But why Depakote AND Zoloft AND Trazadone?

I know depakote is given more for mood stabilizing purposes (bipolar), zoloft as an anti-d, but what is trazadone?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 06:37:00 PM »
They labeled the kid as bipolar, they labeled the kid as depressed, and boom - a couple days, maybe a short trip to Acute at NIBH for some behavior regulating and 'med adjustment', and a few more bucks in Ulrich's pocket later, and the kid is on anti-depressants, mood stabilizers, and whatever other goodies Santa Ulrich had for all the good little boys and girls in his sleigh. Lithium, seraquil, aderol, depakote, zoloft, zyprex-something...if you walked up to a random kid at BCA or RMA and asked them what drugs they were on, chances are they were on something, and chances are they'd rattle off a few drugs on that list.

It wasn't really a question of whether the kid needed it or not. It was a question of whether the parents would give consent or not. Once they gave their consent, well it wasn't hard for the 'clinical' staff there to find some condition to match a drug to.