Author Topic: Anchor Academy for Boys in Havre, Montana.  (Read 51486 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Anchor Academy for Boys in Havre, Montana.
« on: September 27, 2005, 10:50:00 PM »
Anybody ever heard of this program?  What's it's track record (the good, bad and ugly)?

Thanks!

:smile:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 12:13:00 AM »
Try ISAC ... maybe they have heard of this program?

http://www.isaccorp.org

:wave:

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 10:06:00 AM »
http://www.intergate.com/~caaa/LET3_04.pdf

This past August I was privileged to travel to Havre Montana, to work at the Anchor Academy for Boys Camp (ACC) under the direction Pastor Trevor Spencer and Bro Dennis McElwrath, this ministry is a blessing for young men that have trouble with authority. Both Pastor Trevor and Bro. Dennis worked in the Roloff Ministries and saw a need for such a facility in the open fields of Montana. Located at a former AirForce Strategic Air Command Base the camp is renovating a vast number of structures.

Seventeen members of Peoples Baptist Church spent a week assisting the ministry in a variety of needs, the CAAS has provided drawings for the relocation for the existing school and the general offices. We also have over a dozen projects that will take place over the course of the next five years. The Largest is the renovation of a radar tower into a five story dormitory. Bro. David and Debby Newby , former members of PBC are on staff at this ministry. Please pray for this ministry.

Looks pretty sketchy...
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Teen Advocates USA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 10:40:00 AM »
On 2005-09-28 07:06:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"

This past August I was privileged to travel to Havre Montana, to work at the Anchor Academy for Boys Camp (ACC) under the direction Pastor Trevor Spencer and Bro Dennis McElwrath, this ministry is a blessing for young men that have trouble with authority. Both Pastor Trevor and Bro. Dennis worked in the Roloff Ministries and saw a need for such a facility in the open fields of Montana. Located at a former AirForce Strategic Air Command Base the camp is renovating a vast number of structures.

Seventeen members of Peoples Baptist Church spent a week assisting the ministry in a variety of needs, the CAAS has provided drawings for the relocation for the existing school and the general offices. We also have over a dozen projects that will take place over the course of the next five years. The Largest is the renovation of a radar tower into a five story dormitory. Bro. David and Debby Newby , former members of PBC are on staff at this ministry. Please pray for this ministry.

It's a Baptist "Mission" relocated from Texas.  It has been referred to as "Anchortraz" by some of its "clients."

Looks pretty sketchy...
"

OMG, Roloff?  

Thanks DJ -- you are the best!

:wave:

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 11:34:00 AM »
Filthy heritcal deviants, these are not christians, they are beasts.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 12:20:00 PM »

"

It's a Baptist "Mission" relocated from Texas.  It has been referred to as "Anchortraz" by some of its "clients."

Looks pretty sketchy...
"

Looks worse than sketcy. It's a Roloff spin-off. The Roloff homes and their spin-offs are all highly abusive programs.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 01:34:00 PM »
On 2005-09-28 07:40:00, Teen Advocates USA wrote:

"

"

Looks pretty sketchy...

"

OMG, Roloff?  

Thanks DJ -- you are the best!

:wave: "

Hey, don't thank me.  I just reposted the work of a more astute forumite.  

I see a lot of people ask general questions about these programs and they normally get a response like "use the search feature," etc.

Unfortunately, the folks looking for information here often know less about 'puters and the net than they know about the program about which they are inquiring, so I usually try to find something for them.  Oftentimes, like today, the "heavy lifting" has been done by another and simply needs to be freshly reposted.

In any case, I'm glad that the information is useful to you...
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 01:44:00 PM »
I have a brother that was sent to this "Academy" April of 2004.
When he was sent to Anchor Academy (A home for ?troubled? boys) my sister and I were told by my parents that he would be there for a year. My mom had decided that he needed to "get right with God" and that this was the place to make that happen. During this year my mom told me consistently that he was doing wonderful, he had ?completely changed?, and that he thinks of that place as a home. He was there for a year and four months when my mom decided that he could come back. He returned home on a Sunday in July of 2005 and that following Saturday I got a phone call and was told by my dad that my brother had been put on a plane destination Anchor Academy but had missed his second flight. My dad was calling to find out if I had seen him. My sister received the same phone call?my parents were pretty sure that we knew where he was. Not the case. My brother was missing for 3 days and then located at a mission in Montana somewhere by a staff member from Anchor ("Brother" Dennis McElwrath) and then taken back to the Academy. If this place was so ?wonderful? for him or had thought of that place as a home, he would have never run away.

The only communication possible with my brother is through my parents. Every letter sent to him must be replied to and he can only send mail to my parents address...very convenient. My parents are all for this place and it is very disturbing.  

I need to find out if there is any way possible to get him out of that ?Academy? before the time he is eighteen (he is sixteen) and no longer my mother?s responsibility. If there is anyone with any information regarding this issue...it would be most appreciated.

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 02:00:00 PM »
You could go to a court and get court order for him to have his case heard by the court. You could present information to your parents about how evil the place is. You could also go get him your self, you are his blood relation after all. I would not think the cops would stop you. And these people are christians, if they lift a physical hand against you, as a woman. I would give you permision, as a christian as well, to shoot them, because we dont need people like that in the church. Of course what I just said was a example of sarcasm to make a point that I dont like what these people reprsent. (I have to cover my ass because some of you dont get that)
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »
On 2005-09-28 10:44:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I have a brother that was sent to this "Academy" April of 2004.

When he was sent to Anchor Academy (A home for ?troubled? boys) my sister and I were told by my parents that he would be there for a year. My mom had decided that he needed to "get right with God" and that this was the place to make that happen. During this year my mom told me consistently that he was doing wonderful, he had ?completely changed?, and that he thinks of that place as a home. He was there for a year and four months when my mom decided that he could come back. He returned home on a Sunday in July of 2005 and that following Saturday I got a phone call and was told by my dad that my brother had been put on a plane destination Anchor Academy but had missed his second flight. My dad was calling to find out if I had seen him. My sister received the same phone call?my parents were pretty sure that we knew where he was. Not the case. My brother was missing for 3 days and then located at a mission in Montana somewhere by a staff member from Anchor ("Brother" Dennis McElwrath) and then taken back to the Academy. If this place was so ?wonderful? for him or had thought of that place as a home, he would have never run away.

The only communication possible with my brother is through my parents. Every letter sent to him must be replied to and he can only send mail to my parents address...very convenient. My parents are all for this place and it is very disturbing.  

I need to find out if there is any way possible to get him out of that ?Academy? before the time he is eighteen (he is sixteen) and no longer my mother?s responsibility. If there is anyone with any information regarding this issue...it would be most appreciated.

"

It's been done before (Gini Farmer got her 12 y/o cousin out of Tranquility Bay back in 2002, against his father's wishes), but it obviously takes a lot of time, money, and a good lawyer. You didn't say if you are a minor or not-- if you are, there may not be much that you can do.

Contact ISAC (www.isaccorp.org)-- they may be able to give you some more concrete advice.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »
Have you read Alexia Parks book "An American Gulag" which details her struggles trying to rescue her neice from an abusive faith-based program in the south?  She did some extensive research on faith-based programs across the U.S. which might be helpful to you in terms of broadening your parent's awareness of what can and does happen in both non and faith-based programs.  You can also email Ms. Parks from her website.  Good luck!

http://www.teenliberty.org

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
Good point about runaways ... why run if the program is so good?  Do you know if kids from this program have run away before and been subject to punishment when caught and returned?  This really worries me!!!  

:sad:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »
If you can get a court order, it would be helpful to find former students who are willing to tell the court about their experience.  If I recall correctly, that is what Gini Farmer did.  She located a couple of teens from the same program who testified under oath about their care and treatment (which was abusive according to them).

Here's a link:

http://bayes.joshpurinton.com/~joshp/tr ... imony.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 02:24:00 PM »
I do not know. My communication with my brother has been very limited. He has said that when one boy does something deserving punishment, all sixty or so boys are punished. How I?m not sure.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 02:27:00 PM »
I 21...not a minor.