Author Topic: Kanye West is Right  (Read 1651 times)

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Kanye West is Right
« on: September 03, 2005, 06:33:00 PM »
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/artic ... 1001054572

It began, fittingly enough, with jazz from New Orleans natives Harry Connick Jr. and Wynton Marsalis. But "A Concert for Hurricane Relief," a heartfelt and dignified benefit aired on NBC and other networks last night (Sept. 2), took an unexpected turn thanks to the outspoken rapper Kanye West.

Appearing two-thirds through the program, he claimed "George Bush doesn't care about black people" and said America is set up "to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible."

The show, simulcast from New York on NBC, MSNBC, CNBC and Pax, was aired live to the East Coast, enabling the Grammy-winning rapper's outburst to go out uncensored. There was a several-second tape delay, but the person in charge "was instructed to listen for a curse word, and didn't realize [West] had gone off-script," said an NBC spokesperson.

West's comment about the president was cut from NBC's West Coast airing, which showed three hours later on tape.

Comedian Mike Myers was paired with West for a 90-second segment that began with Myers speaking of Katrina's devastation. Then, to Myers' evident surprise, West began a rant by saying, "I hate the way they portray us in the media. If you see a black family, it says they're looting. See a white family, it says they're looking for food."

While allowing that "the Red Cross is doing everything they can," West declared that government authorities are intentionally dragging their feet on aid to the Gulf Coast. Without getting specific, he added, "They've given them permission to go down and shoot us." After he stated, "George Bush doesn't care about black people," the camera cut away to comedian Chris Tucker.

Concluding the hour a few minutes later, host Matt Lauer noted, "emotions in this country right now are running very high. Sometimes that emotion is translated into inspiration, sometimes into criticism. We've heard some of that tonight. But it's still part of the American way of life." Then the entire ensemble performed "When the Saints Go Marching In."

In a statement, NBC said, "Kanye West departed from the scripted comments that were prepared for him, and his opinions in no way represent the views of the networks.

"It would be most unfortunate," the statement continued, "if the efforts of the artists who participated tonight and the generosity of millions of Americans who are helping those in need are overshadowed by one person's opinion."

During the show, viewers were encouraged to contribute to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund by phone or on the Web. Some 18 presenters performed musical numbers or gave information on the tragedy's huge scope.

Louisiana native Tim McGraw teared up as he told Lauer, "I know the citizens that weren't affected by this directly are gonna stand up and do good things for people." He sang two songs, then became the first of the evening's stars to sign a Gibson Les Paul Special guitar to be auctioned online.

Faith Hill, a Mississippi native, sang "There Will Come a Time," with the inspiring lyrics, "The darkness will be gone, the weak shall be strong. Hold on to your faith." New Orleans son Aaron Neville performed Randy Newman's soulful "Louisiana 1927" with the memorable chorus, "they're trying to wash us away, they're trying to wash us away."

New York governor George Pataki presented the Red Cross with a check for $2.5 million and promised, "This great state will do far more."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Kanye West is Right
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 09:24:00 PM »
Yes! Kanye West is speaking for many. :tup:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Kanye West is Right
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 11:18:00 AM »
Sorry I missed it!!

Should the Red Cross be required to provide a public accounting on the nightly news of where every penny of those donations are going?

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Kanye West is Right
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 03:23:00 PM »
On 2005-09-04 08:18:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

Sorry I missed it!!

Should the Red Cross be required to provide a public accounting on the nightly news of where every penny of those donations are going?"

Yes they should. Remember the mess with United Way & Red Cross after 9/11 and they were using the funds for other things?
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Kanye West is Right
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 12:35:00 PM »
Well, it sounds good in theory. However, every dollar that you donate to any charity or ngo has to pay for operating expenses before a single penny of it can go to anyone who you intend to help. I think you just have to decide whether or not you trust the Red Cross or United Way or any other organization to do something worthwhile w/ your donations. I believe they are required already to provide some sort of public disclosure, just not every day or per incident. So you maight just do a little comparitive shopping before writing that check. But don't take too long at it.

Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic
for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster, and what has
happened once in 6000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to
the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail,
there will be anarchy throughout the world.

http://www.marshfield.net/History/webster.htm' target='_new'>Daniel Webster

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Kanye West is Right
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »
On 2005-09-06 09:35:00, Antigen wrote:

"Well, it sounds good in theory. However, every dollar that you donate to any charity or ngo has to pay for operating expenses before a single penny of it can go to anyone who you intend to help.

Correct.  It would be much better to send your money directly to RTP2003, let him buy weed with it, and distribute them to needy potheads as he sees fit.  That way, you know that there is no bloated bureaucracy to deal with, and the people will get the marijuana they so desperately need.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Kanye West is Right
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 10:52:00 PM »
The Unitarian Universalist Association says they are putting 95 cents of every donated dollar to hurrican relief.

http://http://www.uua.org/

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Kanye West is Right
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 04:05:00 PM »
All of Kanye's words spoken here. The media has done a good job of just playing bits & pieces to make him look bad. Here is everything he said:

http://www.riehlworldview.com/carnivoro ... thanks.wmv

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Kanye West is Right
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 04:54:00 PM »
I agree with him, but I think he was stoned in that clip I just watched.

Offline SyN

• View Profile
Kanye West is Right
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 10:07:00 PM »
He was correct in my eyes, did anyone else get a 9/11 flashback with how Schrub looked while flying over the Big Easy?  Same as when he read my pet goat.  Impeach the fukn bastard.  Only problem is a nixon scenario.  Cheney will pardon him and fuk us even harder
A word to the wise is infuriating.\"

Offline Mister Pink

• View Profile
Kanye West is Right
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 07:12:00 PM »
I'll fuck ya even harder.  :lol:

Love, JNAILZ
quot;Its a shame the way she makes me scrub the floor\" - Bob Dylan

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Kanye West is Right
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 11:22:00 PM »
the video was fucking priceless. the look on myers face was hilarious, i burst out laughing.

watch it! http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Kayne- ... People.mov

tonight he performed a rap song on another relief show and there was an obvious delay in his startup. they had him on a tight leash tonight. :lol:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Kanye West is Right
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 02:48:00 PM »
Red Cross and United Way are required to produce the same financial records that any other organization is required to produce under GAAP.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Kanye West is Right
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 02:48:00 PM »
It's just a matter of whether anyone cares to look at them.