Author Topic: Wisdom Ranch School  (Read 12677 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Wisdom Ranch School
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2005, 01:43:00 AM »
On 2005-08-31 19:56:00, jellybean wrote:

"Listen, I didn't log onto this website to be riduculed and judged.  i was asking for info on this school and I appreciate your feedback however I have not gone into the entire story and probably don't have enough space here.  To the person who told me to "be a mom", I take offense to that statement.  Maybe I wasn't clear enough that peer pressure and succumbing to it for my son has been three, recent, serious close calls mixing drugs and alcohol and many sleepness nights worrying. This past year has been excruciating and in the last 3 months has been spiraling downward. How many moms do you know have had the guts to take the police to a party where underage kids are drinking and drugging including her own son.  Not many parents even care when you try to talk to them and get their help, most won't get off the couch. And before any of you say, well he must have a drug problem, no not yet and that is what I'm trying to avoid as well as accidentally dying from doing something stupid. He has the potential for that and I am more afraid of that than anything else.  He lost his father 4 years ago and he found him dead. Regardless of what we have tried, sports, music, anything to give him motivation it only lasts awhile, he's got major wounds to heal and it's not easy for him.  He's been in counseling for 4 years and he's not built enough inner strength to stand independently yet and I've tried everything. He has no male role model and is starving for that.  He got attached to his personal trainer and then was crushed when he moved, he gets jsut as attached to his friends and will do anything not to lose them even dangerous things. I am not an idiot and I know what it happening with my son I just don't have all of the resources, myself, that I know he needs. I would love nothing more than to keep him at home, I cry everyday just because he's not home now, but I'm trying to help save his life and give him a chance. I am trying to be as careful as I can in this investigation and I know there have got to be good programs out there somewhere, just trying to find them.

Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis.
--Sigmund Freud, Austrian-born psychologist

"

Whatever you do, don't rely solely on the word of an ed consultant or ESPECIALLY some private referral agent (ex-program parents who think they are experts on the placement of troubled teens and who get paid by the PROGRAMS themselves, for referrals ... ergo definite CONFLICT OF INTEREST!!!!)

Visit the program and talk to the state licensing agency for info on criminal background checks, citations, etc.

Don't sign away the rights of you and your child to be in contact (written and verbal).  Open and uncensored communication is a MUST ... it is the lifetime to your child.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
Wisdom Ranch School
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 07:24:00 AM »
I noticed jelly did not respond to myt question.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Shortbus

• View Profile
Wisdom Ranch School
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 08:11:00 AM »

On 2005-08-31 10:15:00, jellybean wrote:

"I do recall seeing that someone on the staff was affiliated with SUWS.  I am wondering what they meant by a big joke.  I did notice that it is not a punitive style school where contact is limited and such, but hopefully that doesn't mean something bad.  This is a stressful process for a parent to research these schools and I have found some bad info on a lot of them such as Diamond Ranch (ouch)!  I haven't been able to find anything adverse on this school and was referred to your site for help.

Shortbus quote: The feedback I got from the parents filtered through the theraputic staff that recommended the program was that "the parents thought the school was a joke". The circumstances behind the referral was that the family suggested that their son go to a theraputic boarding school after wilderness, the son figured that to succeed at school and graduate instead of just getting a ged might not be a bad idea. So son agreed to boarding school. The son was adamant about having a say in WHERE he would go. I suggested that he be given a couple days of internet access to do some research. This suggestion was not considered and his therapist at my wilderness program gave him information about one program - Wisdom Ranch. I felt that one choice wasnt really a choice. I again suggested engaging the sudent at a higher level and let him help decide where he wanted to go. One choice was all that was presented. His mother picked him up in New Mexico and flew with him to Idaho and met the father and the three of them visited Wisdom Ranch together. The school is located in eastern Idaho not far from some pretty desolate areas. Rediculously different than the images conjured up when someone mentions Sun Valley (I think their site mentions Sun Valley) - which is kind of close but not really. From what you post and what I know about SUWS from working there, there are some aspects of the program at Wisdom Ranch that might be beneficial. If possible always visit a program and listen to both the good and the bad whenever possible. You need to hear what works and what doesnt to help make an objective decision about what might benefit your son. I read  you post and it brought up many sad memories. Its devastating for a child to lose a parent. I had a number of students that had and the loss they felt was beyond words for me. I know how I fell just trying to imagine their pain.

I wish that some of you anon posters would show a little empathy. I believe jellybean is doing the best she can so lay off the shit. Try puting yourself in someone elses shoes for a change.

[ This Message was edited by: Shortbus on 2005-09-01 05:12 ][ This Message was edited by: Shortbus on 2005-09-01 05:20 ]
ts never too late to procrastinate

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Wisdom Ranch School
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 08:27:00 AM »
On 2005-08-31 19:56:00, jellybean wrote:

"Listen, I didn't log onto this website to be riduculed and judged.  i was asking for info on this school and I appreciate your feedback however I have not gone into the entire story and probably don't have enough space here.  To the person who told me to "be a mom", I take offense to that statement.  Maybe I wasn't clear enough that peer pressure and succumbing to it for my son has been three, recent, serious close calls mixing drugs and alcohol and many sleepness nights worrying. This past year has been excruciating and in the last 3 months has been spiraling downward. How many moms do you know have had the guts to take the police to a party where underage kids are drinking and drugging including her own son.  Not many parents even care when you try to talk to them and get their help, most won't get off the couch. And before any of you say, well he must have a drug problem, no not yet and that is what I'm trying to avoid as well as accidentally dying from doing something stupid. He has the potential for that and I am more afraid of that than anything else.  He lost his father 4 years ago and he found him dead. Regardless of what we have tried, sports, music, anything to give him motivation it only lasts awhile, he's got major wounds to heal and it's not easy for him.  He's been in counseling for 4 years and he's not built enough inner strength to stand independently yet and I've tried everything. He has no male role model and is starving for that.  He got attached to his personal trainer and then was crushed when he moved, he gets jsut as attached to his friends and will do anything not to lose them even dangerous things. I am not an idiot and I know what it happening with my son I just don't have all of the resources, myself, that I know he needs. I would love nothing more than to keep him at home, I cry everyday just because he's not home now, but I'm trying to help save his life and give him a chance. I am trying to be as careful as I can in this investigation and I know there have got to be good programs out there somewhere, just trying to find them.

Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis.
--Sigmund Freud, Austrian-born psychologist

"

Hey, Jelly.  Here is a link to THEIR OWN WEBSITE, staff page, and shows no teachers at all.

http://www.wisdomranch.org/staff.html

Why would they list "student mentors" and not teachers?

What about medical staff?  It's a remote place.  Who cares for the injured or sick?

Again, I found no mention of any credentialed therapist/teacher/doctor/nurse, etc.

RED FLAGS ALL OVER THE PLACE, Jelly...
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline jellybean

• View Profile
Wisdom Ranch School
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 09:50:00 AM »
Hit the button to soon...

His counselor feels he is very immature emotionally and mentally for his age and he feels that a job would help him and he does think if he had some time away from distractions to grow it would help. he has also cautioned me on thorough investigation of programs and would also prefer a local one, although he, again has not heard of anything here in AZ that is credible.  

All religions have been made by men.
--Napoleon Bonaparte, French emperor

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Wisdom Ranch School
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2005, 11:27:00 AM »
Three Springs Waygookin: just because you worked in a treatment program, and didn't seem to do such a good job at that--you have no right to tell ANONS to "fuck off." And this woman does need to read Teen Advocates USA before she sends her son off to some wilderness program to possibly be "marched to death" like some of these kids were! I may be an ANON--but I have never put some kid in a "take down hold" like YOU HAVE! And I never worked at some FACILITY and witnessed abuse like YOU DID without reporting it to the proper authorities. So...save your little judgements and "holier than thou" attitude for someone who cares what YOU THINK!
This woman is ready to enroll her kids in some facility that just may harm her son more than just leaving him totally alone to do as he pleases with no help at all.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Wisdom Ranch School
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »
Settle down, Joyce.  TSW is a good guy and his heart is in the right place.  Attacking him is not going to help Jelly.

I can understand how people around here get upset with anons.  Use a login and try to be responsible...
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Wisdom Ranch School
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2005, 11:37:00 AM »
On 2005-09-01 06:50:00, jellybean wrote:

"Hit the button to soon...

His counselor feels he is very immature emotionally and mentally for his age and he feels that a job would help him and he does think if he had some time away from distractions to grow it would help. he has also cautioned me on thorough investigation of programs and would also prefer a local one, although he, again has not heard of anything here in AZ that is credible.  

"

When the program gets done with him, he will have regressed to the elementary school level emotionally.  

These places do not foster emotional growth.  They require strict obedience to their program at the expense of individuality.  If your kid is already susceptible to peer pressure, places like these will ruin any possible growth, as they are based on peer pressure to effect behavior modification.

I would suggest more parental control.  He goes to school, comes directly home and out to counseling in your community.  Wherever he goes, you go (or another responsible adult).  

What you're describing, in my professional opinion, does not rise to the level of residential treatment (not to mention the place you're looking at doesn't even have a psychologist on staff, so they can't possibly offer junior what he needs).

Hang in there, Jelly.  Use your judgement.  Don't allow pressure/scare tactics to dictate your behavior.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Wisdom Ranch School
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2005, 12:32:00 PM »

"

Anasazi is in AZ ... no known deaths ... requires PARENTS to participate with their kids ... are you up for walking with your child on the journey toward healing?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Wisdom Ranch School
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2005, 04:53:00 PM »

"

Try Blue Hills Academy - they are very good as they are former WWASP employees.  Problem with this one is that your kid has to agree to go, sign in and agree to stay, otherwise, the laws in Arizona say that no matter how old they are, they can walk or run...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Wisdom Ranch School
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2005, 04:57:00 PM »
Anasasi is a short term wilderness program in the Arizona desert.  Good reputation, but again, your kid has to agree to go and stay/complete the program.  Do you know how many kids would actually do that?  Very few.  If they do go and decide they don't want to stay, you've lost the tuition - what is it, about 25,000 now for a few weeks?  Gone.....

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Wisdom Ranch School
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2005, 06:12:00 PM »
So what? If you put your kid into any program and they hold them against their will, the "tuition" is still just as gone. Plus you have the added sorrow of whatever damage they may do to the kid while they've got total control over communications. So, on balance, I'd say it sounds like a bargain. Send them to Anisazi or Outward Bound, if anything. But don't be fooled into thinking that extra-judicial imprisonment is an added service!

One does not have to appeal to God to set the initial conditions for the creation of the universe, but if one does He would have to act through the laws of physics.
--Stephen Hawking, English scientist

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Wisdom Ranch School
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2005, 08:24:00 PM »
On 2005-09-01 15:12:00, Antigen wrote:

"So what? If you put your kid into any program and they hold them against their will, the "tuition" is still just as gone. Plus you have the added sorrow of whatever damage they may do to the kid while they've got total control over communications. So, on balance, I'd say it sounds like a bargain. Send them to Anisazi or Outward Bound, if anything. But don't be fooled into thinking that extra-judicial imprisonment is an added service!

One does not have to appeal to God to set the initial conditions for the creation of the universe, but if one does He would have to act through the laws of physics.
--Stephen Hawking, English scientist

"

Damn good point!  

:nworthy:

Offline jellybean

• View Profile
Wisdom Ranch School
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2005, 11:28:00 PM »
Thanks to all of the people who have given constructive criticism and input.

I will look at Anasazi and Blue Hills.  My son will go voluntarily and he knows that things are going to change dramatically.  I do want to be careful, as I've mentioned.  I would participate in anything that would help my son.  He won't run he's not that independent.  Once he's backed into a corner he folds for awhile, but then jsut tries to figure out how to manipulate the situation. The parental control idea is a great one.  The problem is that, again, his friends have so much power over him that even my mandates are thrown aside in the moment when his friends are present.  I work, of course and although my schedule is fairly flexible it's school where things occur and when I'm gone at work.  Bottom line is I'm by myself and he's 6'2" and 200lbs and I can't tie him down or hold him back physically. I have done my share of chasing him down, regular drug testing, calling the police the 2 times I've found pot in my house and busting up parties.  Right now, he's at his grandparents house just to get him away from his friends.  They are there all day and he really goes no where except to counseling until I can figure out what we are doing about school.  You'd think that grandma and grandpa would be a good alternative, however, in short, what he sees there is his 36 year old uncle still living at home recovering from years of drug abuse, aunt lives next door and is still putting her life together from years of drug abuse and of course his dad died at 34, in his parents house still after years of drug use.  Does enable and co-dependent ring a bell here?  I definitely don't want history to repeat itself and if he stays there I'm sure it will.  Believe it or not I do have a plan B to a program, but I honestly didn't plan on getting into this all that much on this site.  iwas just lookin for input on programs.  If I can't find one, I'll sell my house and move closer to grandmas, bring him home with me so he's not in that environment 24/7 and utilize their help for oversight and help with transporting him to wherever he needs to go, counseling and such.  I definitely don't think that, if he stays here that I'm putting him back in any high school, maybe a GED and a trade school of some sort.  High school is poison these days no matter where they are and especially if your not able to handle pressure from peers.  A mentor would be awesome, but I've searched for that here as well and my son apparently doesn't fit the high level "at risk" type of kid in Phoenix.  Not low enough on the socio-economic ladder to be a priority I guess.  Anyone know how to manufacture a good "dad"?  That would be helpful.  I would also like a group type of counseling that included positive peers, haha.  Which, leads me to my final comment on that.  I have some experience with the anon groups and even had a long time member of NA recommend to me that I send my son to Pathways (on a soapbox of course) and I don't know if any of you have heard about that program, but it was busted up recently because the owner was caught on tape preaching cult stuff to the kids, nice.  Should have taken his advice, huh?  An anon meeting definitely isn't the answer for someone who could have co-dependent tendencies.  if you can take what you need and leave the rest (as they say) your okay, but alot of them can't, it's just transerfence, but not any healthier in my opinion.  Of course, i suppose if you have to choose between death by substance or codependency on a group to stay clean it's the lesser of two evils to be a "2" time anon loser than strung out on drugs and alcohol. I know some nice people that are involved in that, but alot of those long-timers push their ideas on others outside of the meetings, worse than an ex-smoker and don't bother to take a look at themselves and realize that they've given up their substances and replaced them with sex, computers, co-dependence or soapboxes and couldn't get through a sober week without 3 or 4 meetings and of course program stuff trumps everything, even your own mother. If you call that recovery, yikes!  Anyway, since I have gotten much more than objective advice from some of you I though I'd interject my opinion as well.  hopefully it didn't come off as harsh as some of yours have.  Anyway, thanks to all who have thrown in objective, carefully thought out and direct advice without throwing out emotion to the point of insult.

There is something feeble and contemptible about a man who cannot face life without the help of comfortable myths.
--Bertrand Russell, British philosopher, educator, mathemetician, and social critic

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Wisdom Ranch School
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2005, 12:59:00 AM »
Blue Hills is a WWASP spin-off. That means "stay away if you care about your child".