Author Topic: Straight Staff, please respond: what was the training for th  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight Staff, please respond: what was the training for th
« on: August 18, 2005, 09:41:00 PM »
Please describe in as much detail as you can any training you received from Straight on how to restrain child prisoners. Thank you. Please discuss the expected role of staff vs. the expected role of child prisoners. Who made the call to restrain somebody whenever it happened? What was staff supposed to check on, if anything, when they walked over to a situation in which child prisoners were restraining other child prisoners? How did they decide when to let the restrained person get up again? Additional comments regarding witnessed incidents in which a restrained person was injured in the restraint are welcome. Comments from former child prisoners and former Straight Staff are welcome.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 02:02:00 AM »
i was never on staff, but i did take the staff training course when i was a 5th phaser.  The only reason i took staff training was because i thought the insight would help me de-program myself later.  i don't recall any part of the course that had to do with restraining, but that was a long time ago and my memory is more than a little hazy.  As far as i remember, and i can speak from personal experience because i was restrained more times than i care to count, the general rule was that if any phaser in group was not following any of the physical rules of the program, "such as sit up str8", or "pay attention to the person talking" or "no talking out in group" and then resisted physical force in any way, when his compliance with any of these rules was physically enforced, this led directly to his bein' carried over the heads of the other phasers who were sitting in group and thrown down on the floor on the side of group and restained by whatever phasers happened to be sitting around the "misbehaver" at that time.  Sometimes a staff member or a 5th phaser, or "acting" 5th phaser would have one or more of the restrainers replaced if they thought one of the restrainers  had a weak program and needed to be in group in order to talk, or might be a flight risk himself.  Staff never participated in the physical part of the restraint, at least not at the VA program.  Well... hold on a  second... i seem to remember Mr, Kelleher takin' part in a restraint against me once or maybe twice.

Once i was in the Dr.s' office in the building, which at the VA program was in a hallway just behind the front desk.  i was less than 50' from the front doors.  i jumped up from the table i was sittin' at in the waitin' area of the Dr.s' office and bolted out, down the hallway and into the front office for the front doors.  i was tackled in the front office by Mr. Kelleher and then by other oldcomers who were nearby.  

i am ashamed to acknowledge that i inturn participated in the restraint of others at various times while i was in the program.  i learned the techniques from other phasers, as well as from havin' been restrained myself.  Sometimes there were no 5th phasers in the building, like during the 1st part of the day.  A lot of mornings even a 2nd phaser could become an acting 5th phaser and if someone misbehaved then that acting 5th phaser was charged with the resonsibility of restraining the misbehavor.  There really was no training concernin' proper restraint techniques.  it was more like a tradition that was just passed down from one generation to the next.  i remember though that the restrainers would sit down "indian" style, one on each limb of the misbehaver, in such a way that the misbehavers limbs would go through the legs of those doin' the restraining, immobilizing the misbehaver.  In addition to one phaser restraining each limb, one phaser would also hold the misbehavers head, as it rested on his crossed legs.  After the misbehaver had spent some time on the floor in the discomfort of bein' physically restrained some staff member would walk by, usually in about 35-45 minutes and talk to the misbehaver in an attempt to assess the situation.  Some staff members were more compassionate than others.  If the misbehaver would acknowledge to staff that he had learned his lesson and was now willin' to comply he would then be placed back in group, if not he would continue to be restrained, or be taken to an intake room indefinately. If that didn't work the misbehaver would then be placed on "consequences", which for me included sleep deprivation beyond what the group as a whole was already bein' subjected to.  Sleep deprivation meant that you were kept awake all but 3 hours of the 24 in a day.  Once at the host-home for the night oldcomers would take shifts makin' sure you were sittin up str8 in a hard wooden chair in your underwear 'till about 3a.m. when you would finally be allowed to sleep until 6a.m.

i remember one time when i was bein' restrained just before an executive rap.  Group was already sittin' in the carpet room.  i was talkin' out in group or singing "That's why they call me... Bad company... 'till the day i die."  Yeah, i used to love to sing that out loud in group.  Anyway the phaser who was sittin' directly behind me clamped his hands over my mouth in an action that was more a-kin to a hard sucker punch.  He then proceeded to cut off my air supply(and i am not referrin' to the soft rock sensation) by completely coverin' my nose and mouth, while other phasers restrained my arms and legs.  i had no way to indicate that i couldn't breathe.  i wondered how long i could hold on before i passed out.  i think i had to stop resisting the restrainers in order to breathe in some air.  Even then i had to be compliant for a few seconds before i was allowed to breathe.  

i don't know if this relates to any of the information you are seeking but that is what i know of any restraint technique training.

Fuck Str8.  Fuck all authority.   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:

Peace.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 02:27:00 AM »
starry eyed pirate, contact me at this email please:

[email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 08:46:00 AM »
On 2005-08-18 18:41:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Please describe in as much detail as you can any training you received from Straight on how to restrain child prisoners. Thank you. Please discuss the expected role of staff vs. the expected role of child prisoners. Who made the call to restrain somebody whenever it happened? What was staff supposed to check on, if anything, when they walked over to a situation in which child prisoners were restraining other child prisoners? How did they decide when to let the restrained person get up again? Additional comments regarding witnessed incidents in which a restrained person was injured in the restraint are welcome. Comments from former child prisoners and former Straight Staff are welcome."

Were YOU not there?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »
Look, folks, don't you get it yet? Please! Staff was just another phase in the program. Staff called "who wants to sit on ____" for exactly the same reason we in grouo dicecided whether, when we got called on, we would heap praise or helfire and brimstone. I sat on the stool as a pretraining fifth phaser. I know. It was all about what we thought group thought and what Staff thought. Oh, did I capitalize Staff and not group? Yeah, I did. That wasn't a typo or mistake. That's how it was.

None of us, on any phase including Staff phases, had a clue what the FUCK we were doing, except for trying to guess and please upper staff! That was the whole game! That was it! Now get the fuck over it, please?

I don't give a flyin run at a rollin' doughnut if someone who I invite to my home sparks up or even if they have a H or meth habit. I don't care if they're in like Flyn w/ the movers and shakers in DC (which, in my view, is a lot more riskly than a drug habit).

The only trainting staff got for proper restraint came from their own daze as a newcomer. We all know that. Why ask, except to illicit the response that you think you've cornered them into.

Nuff said.

Can we drop it now?

If you think yourself too wise to involve
yourself in government, you will be governed
by those too foolish to govern.  
--Plato

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 12:02:00 AM »
I was sincerely interested to hear from Staff if they were trained in any specific way. I think there must have been some training, weren't such things as restraints regulated by the Mental Health Dept? If the true answer really is "we all just knew how to do it," then it becomes a question of where it spawned from, who brought in the idea and the technique originally. One thing I am curious about is the matter of restraints in the Korean P.O.W. camps that I have heard were the origin of the thought reform techniques used on us in Straight. I wonder about the evil reasoning behind the restraints and how the technique itself might have been designed to do a specific thing.

If anyone has some history on this, please post.

Maybe we are doing historical fact gathering that will help people understand the programs that are still in operation. It might also benefit survivors of the closed down Straights. People like to put together history. Maybe if something like Straight and all that had not happened to me, I would be busy with another history project, genealogy, lots of people get into that, or even certain historical eras or subjects. Someone recently told me that it was the historians who put together the Rosewood story that made it possible for that incident of crime to be brought to justice.

Now you and I could have a whole lot of deep discussions on justice, I bet. This sort of thing, and things like what responsibility we assign to various levels of Staff for their participation in Straight are very much up for discussion, very much not closed issues, not enough said, not "dropping it now". I don't even think Staff themselves, if they feel sorry to any degree, know exactly how much responsibility they feel they have for what they did. Jennifer Loar spoke eloquently about the deep guilt, and the things she had to face that she did. I respect that very much. I am not interested in torturing anyone who was on Staff for their crimes. I think the poor staff member from the Atlanta Straight who described being on the run pretty much for the last twenty years has been punished enough. My god, all I want to do when I hear someone like that is give them safe harbor. It's just a real emotional topic to talk about the people who were in a position of authority over your own abuse. At the same time I am feeling more and more that punitiveness is evil, I will not begrudge a soul who comes here and tells all Staff to fuck off and die, and so on. I think we don't know what to do, or how to think, we just have these things in our culture like trials and prison that are supposed to compensate in some way for any "crime". Maybe the way I think about mental illness, that it is inaccurately located within the "mentally ill" person when it should be located in a much wider web of causality, is the way I will come to see "crime". But then there enters the question of just how conscious and responsible a single human being can be. And that there is why we are supposed to discuss things with our fellow human beings.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 01:32:00 AM »
By the way, I love that "flyin' run at a rolling donut" line. It cracks me up every time!  :lol:

Where the hell did that come from?

dragonfly

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 11:15:00 AM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 11:55:00 AM »
Dragonfly, do you remember, the title of that book? I am very interested in this subject. Anything else you recall I would like to hear about.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 03:36:00 PM »
On 2005-08-20 08:15:00, dragonfly wrote:

Does anyone know the history of how the Korean techniques were adopted for use on kids? I mean I read about synanon, seed and all that but what about Government involvement?

The only confirmed link that I know of is Bobby DuPont as head of NIDA cir. late `60's, early 70's. Wes Fager came accross this info after he sued Straight and lost. Bobby DuPont was then, sometime after 1990, a paid consultant, professional wittness for Straight, Inc. in that case.

As head of NIDA under Nixon, Dupont was tasked w/ identifying and promoting through federal funding effective treatments for the expected wave of heroin addicts coming back home from Vietnam. After touring Synanon, he made a formal recomendation to fund Synanon based programs all over the country. The Seed got over a million of that funding before, in `74, Sam Ervin's commission report to the Senate comparing the Seed method to Korean POW brainwashing and proscribing federal funding w/o a signed consent form.

That's sort of the official story. But I don't really buy the idea that it's the whole story. The heroin epidemic really never materialized. And so they shifted the focus of the war on certain unpatentable drugs to.... pot??? Pot? Cannabis, Marijuana, India Indicus (Mr. Peabody)????

Yeah? Bullshit! In `72, Nixon commissioned a report by the National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse. It recomended decrim, and so it hit the round file. The Mad Monk was never one to let reality interfere w/ his delusions. But I honestly have a hard time believing that all of these educated, worldly politicos and officials have just been fooled, tricked, have no firsthand or second hand experience w/ marijuana. That would almost have to be the case in order for them to believe what they say about it.

So, what's the real agenda? If they weren't trying to "cure" marijuana "addiction" in us, what was the real purpose?

While we're at it, here are a couple of other questions. How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop? Who is John Galt?

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lib ... ncmenu.htm

Freedom has a thousand charms to show, That slaves, howe'er contented, never know.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1840300051/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> William Cowper, a British Christian poet & hymn writer (18th century)

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 03:58:00 PM »
On 2005-08-20 12:36:00, Antigen wrote:

"

On 2005-08-20 08:15:00, dragonfly wrote:

Does anyone know the history of how the Korean techniques were adopted for use on kids? I mean I read about synanon, seed and all that but what about Government involvement?

The only confirmed link that I know of is Bobby DuPont as head of NIDA cir. late `60's, early 70's. Wes Fager came accross this info after he sued Straight and lost. Bobby DuPont was then, sometime after 1990, a paid consultant, professional wittness for Straight, Inc. in that case.

As head of NIDA under Nixon, Dupont was tasked w/ identifying and promoting through federal funding effective treatments for the expected wave of heroin addicts coming back home from Vietnam. After touring Synanon, he made a formal recomendation to fund Synanon based programs all over the country. The Seed got over a million of that funding before, in `74, Sam Ervin's commission report to the Senate comparing the Seed method to Korean POW brainwashing and proscribing federal funding w/o a signed consent form.

That's sort of the official story. But I don't really buy the idea that it's the whole story. The heroin epidemic really never materialized. And so they shifted the focus of the war on certain unpatentable drugs to.... pot??? Pot? Cannabis, Marijuana, India Indicus (Mr. Peabody)????

Yeah? Bullshit! In `72, Nixon commissioned a report by the National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse. It recomended decrim, and so it hit the round file. The Mad Monk was never one to let reality interfere w/ his delusions. But I honestly have a hard time believing that all of these educated, worldly politicos and officials have just been fooled, tricked, have no firsthand or second hand experience w/ marijuana. That would almost have to be the case in order for them to believe what they say about it.

So, what's the real agenda? If they weren't trying to "cure" marijuana "addiction" in us, what was the real purpose?

While we're at it, here are a couple of other questions. How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop? Who is John Galt?

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lib ... ncmenu.htm

Freedom has a thousand charms to show, That slaves, howe'er contented, never know.
http://www.m-a-h.net/library/abuse/ra-spin.htm

warm regards,
-DP

It's our goddamn duty to get these people back on drugs so they can think for themselves again!!!
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?topic=4728&forum=7&start=20#40163' target='_new'>RTP2003

"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 04:05:00 PM »
Wow, sorry for being such an ass. I don't think I meant to be. And I don't even remember thinking I did't want to get an answer to your question. Actually, I do. But I think I'm right. I think the only training staff had was what they got while in group.

On 2005-08-19 22:32:00, Anonymous wrote:

"By the way, I love that "flyin' run at a rolling donut" line. It cracks me up every time!  :lol:

Where the hell did that come from?"

Actually, a very hyper active kid who was in Fame Haven same time I was. He was adopted by his grandparents and just too much of a handful for them. So they were trying to figure out what to do w/ him. Very bright, energetic kid who's name I can't even recall, but I often think of him and wonder how he made out in the end.

I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being first and foremost, and as such I am for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole

--Malcolm X

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 04:10:00 PM »
Antigen,
Did ye check that out or what?

Pay attention to the group!
just kidding....lol!
-DP :cool:

Tough Love: Abuse of a type particularly enjoyable to the abuser, in that it combines the pleasures of sadism with those of self-righteousness. Commonly employed and widely admired in 12-step groups.
--Chaz Bufe

"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 08:09:00 PM »
Deprogrammed, I have a short attention span. I went to that website on "Spin Programming", and I didn't really get it. If you understand what the article is talking about, maybe you could explain it better than that write-up. What do they mean when they are talking about people being affected from infancy sometimes by "spin programmers"? Are they talking about kids who were born into a cult because their parents were in it?

What are "alters"? Also please explain this, if you know what they are saying:
"This technique here labeled ?spin programming,? appears designed to spread effects such as pain, painful emotions, and other feelings or urges globally throughout a patient?s personality system for purposes of either designing and building a young victim?s personality system, or harassing older victims and disrupting psychotherapy. Spin programming appears to be based on a combination of physical spinning, cognitive and imagery training, and repetition and practice aimed at creating an internal multi-alter spinning ?mechanism? that can transmit the pain or affective components of numerous traumatic memories simultaneously to large groups of targeted alters."

"Both during and after the abuse, most victims are in a state of terror, mind control, and dissociation in which disclosure is exceedingly difficult."

Interesting. Do you think the Straights are doing some from of Spin Programming? Or did you post it as a side story that might be interesting? I am just trying to understand it better. Thank you for any insights you have had on the matter.

dragonfly

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 09:25:00 AM »