Author Topic: Concern for a "student"  (Read 29114 times)

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
Concern for a "student"
« on: August 11, 2005, 08:02:00 AM »
We have friends who placed their trouble son (15) at a facility in Montana called "New Horizons".  From the get-go I had red flags going up.  And I am not sure how to respond to his parents.

For unruly boys they shackle them to a pole "until they calm down".  They "feed and water them" at the pole.

No therapist on staff.  Therapy is an extra charge and requires a trip into town.

They are "home schooled".  In other words, no certified teachers on the premises.

The night they arrived the boys were eating Tuna Helper.  Cheap yes, but nutritious?  NOT!

They spend their days baling hay and building more dorms for future students.

All this for the cost of $4200/month.  :question:  :question:

This is sooooooooooo very different than the therapeutic school that our daughter attended.  Not sure if her program was awesome or if it was an exception.  But this young man's program sounds "shady".  Looking for insights.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Concern for a "student"
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 11:29:00 AM »
FYI, one web site lists fees at $2,500/mo, not that that makes it a good place.  The "town" has a population of about 150, and is a few miles from another with about 1,000.  They describe it as a "Christian" program, with some kind of church "support", which makes one wonder.  If kids do get shackled, to a pole or in any other way, they really should be reported as suggested.  The parents ought to be questioned about their motives as well.

Offline Shortbus

• View Profile
Concern for a "student"
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 12:51:00 PM »
If you can look past the heavy hand of the forum administrators over at http://www.strugglingteens.com there is a wealth of information in their archives. There are a bunch of references to New Horizons in Maine but there are also some comments about New Horizons, Montana. Check it out.
ts never too late to procrastinate

Offline Shortbus

• View Profile
Concern for a "student"
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 12:53:00 PM »
Its pretty easy to recognize the biases of different sites. I like having the opportunity to turn over as many rocks as possible when doing research.
ts never too late to procrastinate

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Concern for a "student"
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 04:52:00 PM »
Truth seeker,
where did your daughter go?

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
Concern for a "student"
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 05:09:00 PM »
Well I did some snooping around and found nothing.  Which is a big concern.  Even the local police department knew nothing of the facility.  The officer I spoke with had lived in this tiny town for his entire life.  Hmmm.... going to have to dig a little deeper.  Thanks for the ideas.  I did check out struggling teens and the info there was similar to the website offered by the program.  No real information.  Thanks again.[ This Message was edited by: Truth Searcher on 2005-08-11 14:09 ]

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
Concern for a "student"
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 05:13:00 PM »
Anon~
Sorry.... I don't want to disclose that information.  This population is not exactly "program friendly".  ::bangin::  I will tell you that she had a very positive experience there.  She bears no ill-will.  But, she was not abused as many on this forum were.  

Sorry to be vague.  I just wish to protect her (and my) anonymity.

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Concern for a "student"
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »
this place sounds =very= shady.  especially if the police didn't even know much about it.  does the child have contact with the outside world?  mail? phone calls?  visits?  what do vegetarian students eat?  do they have a varied menu?  or is it all top ramen and hamburger helper?  is the "pole" inside or outside?  what kind of shackles do they use?  handcuffs?  or more like restraints?  is the child allowed to go to the bathroom when they are on the pole?  what about school?  do they ever restrain a child by sitting on him?  do they ever inject sedatives?  is there an MD on campus?  the more detail you can get about this place and on these abuses, the better.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Concern for a "student"
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 05:43:00 PM »
Hmmm? How does withholding the name of the program protect 'your' anonymity? I am not challenging your decision, your choice, but your excuse for doing so doesn't make sense.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
Concern for a "student"
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 05:53:00 PM »
Hmmmm?   How does my offering the name of the program change the discussion at hand?  If you can figure out who the hell "Paul" is, then perhaps you can figure out who the hell I am.  Not a chance I choose to take.

Perhaps if I felt the environment a little more friendly (or at least less hostile) toward parents who have made a placement, I might be slightly more inclined to offer details.  But, at this point, I don't know that I have encountered one shred of support or understanding about residential treatment facilities.  Not even quality ones.

My "excuse" may not make sense to you.  That's OK.  Lots on this forum doesn't yet make sense to me.  But, I come here with an open mind and a desire to better understand the truth.

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Concern for a "student"
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 06:02:00 PM »
lots of people come here looking for information on programs.  You are right, most people are here trashing programs.  But some are looking for help, looking for the programs that good.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Concern for a "student"
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »
TS,
I couldn't care less if you name the program or not. Notice that I didn't ask the question.
I was simply commenting that your excuse didn't make sense and still doesn't- How WOULD mentioning it expose your identity?

I seriously doubt that 'truth seeker + (name of program)' would bring any returns on google.

Even if your identity was known to me, I certainly wouldn't seek out your personal information. Paul attempted to slander me. He deserved what he got. And I'd like for you to notice that all I did was out him by posting information that was readily available on the web.

Program Rule #1:
Thou shalt not lie or manipulate. The consequences could be unpleasant. Follow that rule and you don't have to worry about being 'bbq'd'.
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Concern for a "student"
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 08:02:00 PM »
i haven't read the Paul thread, but Truth Seeker, you are smart not to give too much information.   Ginger has no problem posting the places and giving out information regarding posters that does let people reading the thread know who is posting.  Anonymous means nothing on this board.  I have seen it happen in several different threads.  I don't know how posting the school would tell who you are, but maybe putting that with where you are posting from, might.  so....be careful.

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
Concern for a "student"
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 08:53:00 PM »
Deborah~
I have neither "lied nor manipulated".   (Were you implying that I had?)  But, I still worry about being b'b'qued.  You must recognize that this can be a hostile audience.....  I sometimes feel like I'm camping on enemy grounds.  

So, you and I have no beef.  As I said, I come here to try and gain perspectives from the other side of the industry.  My experience is limited.  I have only first hand knowledge of one program.  And it was a good one.  I want to know what the rest may look like.

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Concern for a "student"
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 10:16:00 PM »
No, of course I wasn't implying that you had lied or manipulated.

Program Rule #2:
Thou shalt pay attention to what is said, so the other person doesn't have to repeat themselves.

In regard to your fear of being bbq'd, based on what happened to Pauly, I said:

Thou shalt not lie or manipulate. The consequences could be unpleasant. (Interpretation-that's what Paul did) Follow that rule and you don't have to worry about being 'bbq'd'.

I give you the benefit of doubt... but in fact you could actually be an Ed Con or competitor who has a vested interest in bashing 'New Horizons'. Either way, no beef here. You've shared some good info about a program that little info is available on.
Keep us updated as you hear other details.