Author Topic: Note to John Underwood  (Read 17889 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Note to John Underwood
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2005, 11:57:00 AM »
::bigmouth::  ::dove::  ::dove::  ::dove::  ::dove::
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
Note to John Underwood
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2005, 04:23:00 PM »
Hey Wtaylor,

I hadn't seen Julio in about 15 or 20 years.  He asked me to his Fire Academy Graduation. (He remembered my dad was a firefighter.)  He'd been to college years before, divorced with 3 kids.  He became a firefighter/paramedic.  He loves it.
They put on this big type of rescue, climb a building graduation show with alot of other physical activities.
There he was 37yrs old doing all this with 20 yr olds.  You'd never recognize him, he's like joe bodybuilder.  Hes no skinny kid anymore.
Just thought you might want to know that.

Offline wtaylorg

• View Profile
Note to John Underwood
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2005, 07:04:00 PM »
Hi TK, Cleveland
I'm really glad to hear about Julio. I was always close to him and I'm very happy for his success.
Can you fill me in on Joe M? If you can? A very nice guy who I saw being taken advantage of down there

Clev: I don't want you to fill bad about telling me the truth back then. I was glad you cared enough about me to give me your perspective. In fact I left your apartment that night knowing I had to close that chapter. It appears that those of us who were on the outside looking in really didn't have any "real" idea how we were viewed by the "chosen" ones. I just am so lucky that I made it out of there when I did and that I choose to stay away.
Not as if they would have wanted me back.

I remember receiving aletter sent to my parents from the Seed around '87? And in it Shelly explained that the Seed was changing from an adolescent to an adult only program.
They also implied because the Seed had done so much for me that I should reciprocate with a monetary gift.

At that time, That made me smile because the Seed was the last place I would ever send money too. I had already started to work in my field as an intern so I guess I could have sent something, but it felt better to throw the letter away.

I know many here debate the pros and cons o fthe Seed expereince. A lot of great stuff is written. All I can really do is share My experiences and recollections. That's all I have.

While I was finishing high school in Clev. I remember watching so many of the Clev. kids move down there and then have their problems with fitting in (Rob M) and making it at the Seed. I used to think Why? At that time I was getting good enough grades in HS to apply for several good schools. But, I was lead to believe a life at the Seed in FL was the best use of my ability.
How wrong was that? My abilties were never in the area of "rapping" or being and egoist.
So I sold my myself short.
I remember sitting in group and thinking if I left could I make enough money to have an apartment and a TV. I didn't have big dreams for myself.

For every staff member and "insider" there were a dozen of us just trying to understand what was happening each day.

W

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
Note to John Underwood
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2005, 08:01:00 AM »
WTaylor,
Check the private messages & I'll fill you in on Joe M.

Offline wtaylorg

• View Profile
Note to John Underwood
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2005, 11:22:00 AM »
TK: check your private messages.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Note to John Underwood
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2005, 10:47:00 AM »
fuelaw in what publication and by what reporter can we read about your beatings?

Offline FueLaw

• View Profile
Note to John Underwood
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2005, 12:40:00 PM »
I was interviewed by a freelance writer who sold the article to the Rolling Stone. I do not think the article was ever published.

ps. I wasn't the only one who got their ass kicked in the place.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Note to John Underwood
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2005, 02:25:00 PM »
fuelaw, when did the article take place? Time frame?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Note to John Underwood
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2005, 12:51:00 AM »
who else got their ass kicked? how do you know the article was sold to RS? why wasn't it published?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Note to John Underwood
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2005, 06:37:00 AM »
Maybe I can help clear it up for Fuelaw. The article never ran. He thought it did. Several years ago a former seedling who is a correspondence editor  for Rolling Stone came to Florida and interviewed many people, including Fuelaw, Art barker, me and others for an article. The article was indeed sold to Rolling Stone but Rolling Stone didn't run it.

I know this much for a fact. He just was mistaken in the fact that the article never made it to press. Once an article is sold to a magazine, it becomes an editorial decision whether to run it or not.

To see documentation of kids being beat at the seed at the direction of their parents, go to your local library and look up "Art Barker" "the Seed" and cross reference a 1973 article in a publication called "these are new time".  At least one parent was interviewed and tells how devestated and manipulated he felt after doing this at the direction of the St Pete Seed staff.

Offline realdialoguer

• View Profile
Note to John Underwood
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2005, 10:35:00 AM »
Could it be that unsubstantiated, probable prevarication, was deemed not publishable?

I do not believe in the divinity of Christ, and there are many other of the postulates of the orthodox creed to which I cannot subscribe.
--William Howard Taft, U.S. President

o,oft it chances in particular men,That for some vicious mole of nature in them As,in their birth, wherein they are not guilty, Since nature cannot chose his origin,By the o?ergrowth of some complexion,Oft breaking down the pales and forts of reason,Carr

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Note to John Underwood
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2005, 11:34:00 AM »
I suppose you could jump to that conclusion if it makes you feel better.

If All it takes is an infinite number of monkeys with type writers, then how come there's no Shakespeare coming out of AOL?
-- Anonymous

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Note to John Underwood
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2005, 12:56:00 PM »
welcome to the forum Realdialoger!

As to your comment, could be..but the magazine asked him to do the story, read it and paid him. Whatever reason they didn't run it is purely speculation.

Were you in the seed? Where? For how long?

welcome once again!

Offline realdialoguer

• View Profile
Note to John Underwood
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2005, 01:26:00 PM »
Antigen, that was a question, not a conclusion, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead and jump.

Life may have no meaning.  Or even worse, it may have a meaning of which I disapprove.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0912800909/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Ashleigh Brilliant

o,oft it chances in particular men,That for some vicious mole of nature in them As,in their birth, wherein they are not guilty, Since nature cannot chose his origin,By the o?ergrowth of some complexion,Oft breaking down the pales and forts of reason,Carr

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Note to John Underwood
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »
Ok, are you still beating your spouse? Hey, don't get upset! It's just a question!  :rofl:

Seriously, who is this? Is this Libby? Shelly? Perloff? I'm curious. Who would be so persistently interested in identifying the publisher of such incidents? Oh, and in case you were there and would know the answer, how did that guy from Boston's leg get broken?

As men's prayers are a disease of the will, so are their creeds a disease of the intellect.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson, American essayist, poet, philosopher

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes