Author Topic: Ripping Off Native American Spirituality  (Read 4626 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Ripping Off Native American Spirituality
« on: August 05, 2005, 03:02:00 PM »
OL,
I just read your comments on NA spirituality at ST- copied below. Are you Native? Where did you acquired your information?
You might speak TO a native before you attempt to speak FOR them.
And then, speak only about one specific nation at a time. Don?t lump them all together.

The glaring disrespect that has been demonstrated is the program/staff co-opting and bastardizing NA spirituality. It?s appealing to new-agey parents looking for a ?rite of passage? for their kid. They are ignorantly and arrogantly misrepresenting and disgracing NA spirituality. Where did they get their training?  

You fairly accurately said, To begin with the cultures of the children and the Native American spirituality are incompatible.
So?.  Seems more authentic if instead of blowing on a smudge stick and passing out ?earth names??. she?d been pretending to be a priest- waving around an incense pot and praying for their sins? Or taking them down to the river and baptizing them in the name of the program?

Don?t get me wrong, I think these kids, and most teens, could use something of value in their lives, but don?t think for a minute sagewalk?s version of Vision Quest bares any resemblance to the real thing. They might actually benefit from a traditional VQ, which would involve first A DESIRE, then extensive planning and would include all family members. It is NEVER forced and hallucinogens and/or fasting are not ?required?, they are personal options.
You can read more about that in my post at Sociopranos:
http://www.sociopranos.com/forums/threa ... &start=301

http://www.strugglingteens.com/cgi-bin/ ... p=2#000030
Indian spiritualism is based on animism and ancestor worship. Animism is the belief that everything has a spirit. This means the rocks, trees, birds, deer, and what have you all have a spirit. It, inside its cultural context, creates a reverence for their surroundings and increased stewardship of their resources. This religion grew out of the necessity to survive. They wished better weather so they prayed to the earth. They wished more deer so they prayed to the spirit of the deer. There is not religious fulfillment in Native American spirituality; it is all about the importance of survival. There is not recognition of sin, which there is in a great many other religions. The Indians were influenced by their surroundings to the point of starvation. So they beseeched their surroundings to survive.

Lets move on to the vision quest. The Vision Quest was generally a way to become "one" with the world around oneself. It was almost always aided by narcotics of some kind, generally mescal or peyote. For those visions that were not induced by narcotics they were induced by stress. The idea was stress the body enough and the spirit will leave it and unite with the world. It?s slightly comparable to a out of body/ near death experience. Both forms of Vision Quests can be very very dangerous for the user.

There is no set scripture in Native American spirituality. There are no holy books or holy writings. This fact can lead to deviancy from any form of the "true" faith. The religion is generally handed down from stories, which of course can change. There is no history to Native American spirituality. No one really knows when it started, and no one really knows who started it. I believe that the possibility it evolved naturally is very unlikely. Because the religion was wide spread through out the country, so it is very likely that one person, or a group of people spread it throughout the country. The religion cannot be classified as a cult persay because it does not meet a few of the requirements about controlling its members, but it can be considered a false religion.

Now for my synopsis of how this affects the kids.

To begin with the cultures of the children and the Native American spirituality are incompatible. These kids have never been so dependant on their surroundings for anything. Indeed a good survivalist would not be so dependant. There is the first stress. The idea of giving the spirituality a validity via showing it as a part of therapy is disrespectful to the religion as a whole. Positioning this religion as important in therapy challenges any religious ideas that they have formed. This can be dangerous and wrong, considering that we are talking about children?s immortal souls here. This of course is the second stress. Then we have the stress put on the children by the therapists. All this combines to crush mostly everything they person has become. And indeed they could have a vision quest, one caused by stress, which is just as good as any mental break down. Now the purpose of the wilderness is to break down their resistance, I have been told anyway. At this point I would generally make a crack about how it sounds a lot like breaking a POW but that has nothing to do with the subject  . Moving on the use of Native American spirituality is to, I believe, blunt the cutting up of their mentality, and give it a air of "We know what were doing."

P.S. If any one wants me to continue on about why Native American spirituality is wrong, I would be happy to, just ask. I tried to offer a unbiased discussion on it, but its really not the totality of what I completely believe, because I believe its wrong. I did not try to disprove it in this talk, but I can.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Shortbus

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 08:51:00 PM »
That string appears to have been deleted on ST. I had responded to OL but I guess its gone missing....
ts never too late to procrastinate

Offline Shortbus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 08:53:00 PM »
Duh, never mind, I can look at it on this site....

sometimes Im such a spazz..........

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 09:54:00 PM »
For a note, no I'm not a native american, but I have studied their religion and spirituality. I do not speak for them, but I do speak about them. I studied it in some diffrent religion classes. I do not speak from the aspect to being one, but I do know the basic theology if you will.

To be completely honest, I dont know if there are diffrences between the nations, and I am open to any correction, because I dont know that much about it.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »
there is a great series on the discovery times channel called '500 nations' .. informative show.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 12:31:00 AM »
Overlordd:  Think about it.  Of course there are differences between different NA nations' religions.  The Seminoles are a couple thousand miles away form the Navajo, etc.  It's a big country.

I don't know that the show 'ripped off' NA spirituality as much as pulled 2 or 3 generalized bits to make a new ritual.  Do you remember, did they actually call it a Vision Quest?

Offline Shortbus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 01:34:00 AM »
I missed the last segment. Did the students and instructors appear to be practicing a religion or could you possibly consider what they were doing were symbolic gestures or maybe rituals? I think these things are different. Many families adopt rituals at major holidays-heck, not just at major holidays, at a special moment in a person's life. Losing a tooth, your first overnight away from home, your birthday, whatever. Lots of people celebrate Christmas but dont believe that Christ died for their sins. And there are lots of people driving around with dream catchers hanging from their rear view mirrors. Religions have many rituals but all rituals are not religeous. This group spends all their hours outside in the elements close to nature. They rely on their awareness of their surrounding to help keep them safe. It just seems natural that they would adopt certain rituals that would affirm this. Paganism, wicca, santeria, native american spiritualism, all of these are earth/animal based religions. Many of their rituals celebrating something similar. And I have no idea how many different indian nations there are in North America. And I am still wondering if Nations and tribe follow the same boundaries or if they are different. But it appears there are hundreds

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 11:53:00 AM »
Well I know there are diffrences in idea that they have diffrent ideas, diffrent ways of living, diffrent ways of eating and such, but I thought their spirituality was pretty uniform throughout.

The differance between a family ritual and a ritual with these guys is that a family ritual is one of love and of togetherness. A program ritual is indeed not. the idea of symbolic gestures or rituals based off of a religion still makes it of that religion. The idea of christmas is still christian an nothing a person can do will take that away. A ritual of the native american religion is still of the native american religion. and if their tossing wiccan pagan and other rituals like that down kids throats its pissing me off all the more.[ This Message was edited by: OverLordd on 2005-08-06 08:54 ]
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 12:44:00 PM »
On 2005-08-06 08:53:00, OverLordd wrote:

"Well I know there are diffrences in idea that they have diffrent ideas, diffrent ways of living, diffrent ways of eating and such, but I thought their spirituality was pretty uniform throughout.

The differance between a family ritual and a ritual with these guys is that a family ritual is one of love and of togetherness. A program ritual is indeed not. the idea of symbolic gestures or rituals based off of a religion still makes it of that religion. The idea of christmas is still christian an nothing a person can do will take that away. A ritual of the native american religion is still of the native american religion. and if their tossing wiccan pagan and other rituals like that down kids throats its pissing me off all the more.[ This Message was edited by: OverLordd on 2005-08-06 08:54 ]"

ABC exploiting kids and families.

Wilderness Camps exploiting Native American culture and tradition.

Where does the buck stop?

Damn Vultures ... they should be ashamed of themselves preying on kids in the first place.

I hope the other wilderness therapy programs are happy that Sage Walk agreed to do this.  Personally I think the show does a good job showing parents just why they SHOULD NOT send their kids into the wild.

:smokin:

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »
They?ll rerun that segment the first hour of Wed?s program. Watch it and see what you think.
Yes, people have their rituals and traditions, but how many white people do you see painting the faces of and smudging their kid with a Sage stick when they loose a tooth or have a birthday or graduate high school, or before they open presents Xmas morning?

How many white people believe that smudging with sage removes negative energy from and around a person or environment? How many of those kids believed that they would be cleansed of the old behaviors after being smudged?

Why don?t they create their own rituals that do not infringe on and misrepresent NA spirituality?  They could require confessionals. Then make the kids run across a big open field from point A to point B, symbolizing leaving past behaviors (sins) behind and then force them to be baptized in a cold river. Then they could issue them all turbans and the same last names.

NAs would NEVER put a kid out on VQ (sagewalk?s solo) with such little regard for the kid. And the kid would NEVER be required to go or to stay out against their wishes. As I said, they are co-opting, have bastardized and misrepresented NA spirituality for their own gain.  

[ This Message was edited by: Deborah on 2006-06-11 13:32 ]
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2005, 02:27:00 AM »
On 2005-08-05 12:02:00, Deborah wrote:

There is no history to Native American spirituality. No one really knows when it started, and no one really knows who started it. I believe that the possibility it evolved naturally is very unlikely. Because the religion was wide spread through out the country, so it is very likely that one person, or a group of people spread it throughout the country. The religion cannot be classified as a cult persay because it does not meet a few of the requirements about controlling its members, but it can be considered a false religion.

I think it was most likely a group, probably the Aztecs. But one aspect of NA religion that I think they nailed dead to nuts is that religion and dogma are really not all that important in the greater scheme of things. For example, they all have different words meaning "the people" or "the real people". And anyone other than their own tribes or nations fell outside of that. We weren't real, authentic "people". And yet it took 200 years for one tribe in what's now Western WV to come upon an opportunity to redeam themselves, ditch the designation of "women" and regain the right to bear arms after running from battle when the Western tribes invaded. It happens that the British provided the first such opportunity in 20 generations.

Whatever they believed and wherever they got it, they certainly had a leg up on Europeans and Christiandome when it came to avoiding murder and conflict! Was the mythology wrong? Of course it was! But the people who kept it alive never seemed to let their dogma run out in front of their karma. They rarely or never let their sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right. If and when they couldn't agree, they had a "tear the blanket" exit plan, very similar to that of the Quakers.

Ya' gotta love that! But you can't absorb it from some quick weekend seminar or newage part time religion. It's a way of life. If you want to understand it, you have to pass on all the perks and benefits of all of the other available lifestyles and do it. I pass. I'm content to just take their word for it, wish them well and hope against hope that, if the empire falls in our lifetime, we can manage to convince them that we're cool w/ all that and only want to make ourselves useful and welcome. And, by "we", I mean my immediate family, the only people in this world who I have any real influence with.

Come to the woods, for here is rest. There is no repose like that of the green deep woods. Here grow the wallflower and the violet. The squirrel will come and sit upon your knee, the logcock will wake you in the morning. Sleep in forgetfulness of all ill. Of all the upness accessible to mortals, there is no upness comparable to the mountains.
-- John Muir

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
Id join that tribe! I even have a indian name worked out: "Running mouth"  :grin:

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled.
-- Plutarch

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline SyN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »
On 2005-08-07 11:15:00, Nihilanthic wrote:

"Id join that tribe! I even have a indian name worked out: "Running mouth"  :grin:

-- Plutarch

"

:lol:
A word to the wise is infuriating.\"

Offline SyN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »
On 2005-08-07 11:15:00, Nihilanthic wrote:

"Id join that tribe! I even have a indian name worked out: "Running mouth"  :grin:

-- Plutarch

"

:lol:
A word to the wise is infuriating.\"

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 05:30:00 PM »
NA spirituality, generally speaking, which is hard to do because they did have differing beliefs; WAS a way of life. A very practical and common sense way of living. They didn?t worship on Sunday and ?sin? all week. They honored their father and mother, and children and elderly and every other living thing. Their father and mother, literally and symbolically- sun and earth. They recognized that their very life and sustenance was dependent on both and held them in the highest regard, seven days a week. I know there were/are whites capable of this. But right wing Christian fundies tend to disrespect their Mother, literally and symbolically and feel that Earth must be destroyed in order to fulfill the prophecy and herald in the rapture.
http://www.alternet.org/story/15814

There?s an obvious conflict within their dogma between Honor They Father and Mother, and Manifest Destiny, and converting heathens- taking their lives and resources. Capitalising on every possible thing right down to owning the genetic rights to pigs. And claiming that ?god? sanctions this behavior.

There was/is also great reverence for all living things. They took no more from the environment than they needed. They were not driven to hoard due to fear and greed. They also didn?t waste, using for instance, every part of an animal or plant who gifted its life to ?the people?. Many did not engage in what might be considered ?the hunt?. They went to the woods and prayed (demonstrated respect and patience) until the deer/turkey that was ready to offer itself appeared. There was a moment of appreciation for all beings and the cycle of life and death, before the animals life present life ended.

They did live close to the land. There was reverence for all things. They were keenly aware of their environment, seasons, signs. Every rock every twig had a life of its own and a story to tell. No holy text. Oral tradition. They didn?t have an alphabet or too many complicated and convoluted words because they weren?t necessary. Humans were not the masters of the universe, but equals. If you ever hang with a traditional NA, you?ll notice that there isn?t a lot of unnecessary, nervous chit chat, debating, theorizing. When the entire nation is ?governed? so to speak but decent, pro-life policies, there?s very little need for a lot of words, debate, and negotiations. Much like many indigenous cultures around the world  

Many were light years ahead of the Europeans in terms of respecting women. One of the nations I?m descended from is view by some as matriarchal, but I believe it was egalitarian. Women were held in high esteem. They decided if and when the nation would go to war. It was their husbands, brothers, and sons who would die.  They also decided when it was time to send their husband packing. If a man came home and his ?things? were in a pile outside the tee pee, he picked them up and moved on. They were cousins of the Iroquois who the Europeans adopted democracy from. Gays/A-sexuals were not persecuted or dx as mentally defective; they were respected members of society and were often the caretakers of the children. They weren?t forced by dogma and prejudice into isolation and rebellious perversions. Social policies considered not only the needs of the current generations but seven generations into the future, which you've probably heard.

That?s but a small taste of one nation?s ?spiritual? values. And it?s not necessary to give up all the creature comforts of a modern lifestyle in order to live more awarely and sensibly, hence the sustainability movement. What?s not sustainable is that America has 1/5 of the world?s population and consumes 33% (or was it 35%) of Earth?s resources. Not to mention 1-2% of Americans own 80 or so percent of the ?wealth?. Think about that. Does anyone ever ask themselves why? Might that possibly be why ?we the people? find our fathers, brothers and sons constantly at 'war'? Does this even closely resemble the golden rule? Which I consider the warp (common thread) in the tapestry of all religions.
But, I digress.

It?s quiet possible and very likely that someone will jump in and cite many instances that are contrary to what I have said. I will reiterate, you can not lump all NA nations together. While they may have shared many similarities, there were differences, sometimes significant. To view them all as one would amount to saying that all states have the same laws and traditions. Might enjoy spending some time at the AIM site http://www.aimovement.org/moipr/index.html or just google a particular nation for detailed info, and careful of your sources. If you want authentic info, best to take it from a native.