Author Topic: ABC'S FAMILY PROGRAMMING: DEATHS, SEXUAL ABUSE, AND A BOOMI  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC'S FAMILY PROGRAMMING: DEATHS, SEXUAL ABUSE, AND A BOOMI
« on: August 03, 2005, 02:19:00 AM »
Before you ENJOY the next episode of "Brat Camp", go to askjeeves.com and type in:  deaths and wilderness survival camps.  READ CAREFULLY!  

ABC should be ashamed of themselves for promoting these multimillion-dollar death camps.  Even if the program (that is making ABC billions of dollars - ratings) is a model program, research has revealed that no amount of monitoring can prevent abuses and "accidental" deaths.  In other words -parents can send their children, the government just can't  guarantee  they will return unharmed or even alive.  Success ratings are also discussed in numerous articles.  There have been no scientifically  rigorous, long-term studies conducted on wilderness-therapy programs.  Also please read what has happened to wilderness program owners  who have appeared on TV talk shows.  They even brought along their "beloved troubled kids" to help convince  audiences that they do indeed deserve their mansions and millions.  CHA-CHING!  Needless to say, they have fallen from grace.  Even the government admits that their programs are not easily and appropriately regulated.  But they are working on correcting all of that.  God bless the children who fall through the cracks.  That is the government's motto after all!

"Brat Camp"is sickening  just in the fact that unwilling children are being forced to deal with their problems in front of the nation.  These children are not actors!  They are kids who,at the very least,deserve privacy.  If their parents aren't able to respect their privacy, then child advocacy laws should.  I don't care if the show is paying for the children's involvement in this program.  Their lack of privacy comes at a high price, and I don't mean for the producers.  The precious child who was molested is being RAPED again...this time by ABC.  I realize that raising children is tough, but CHILD ABUSE should not be tolorated or promoted (ABC) in any case.  Until ABC cancels this show, I will NOT watch any of their programming.  However, I am all too sadly aware that as long as ratings rule - child abuse and exploitation of children is cool.

This is my opinion after reading the articles on these sites.  I'm sure other people will list sites that support these programs or profess how their kid was "saved" by one.  However, after reading about the deaths, abuse, and greedy people preying on the desperation of parents - I doubt I will ever be able to forget the horrors over the so-called successes.  All I can ask is that before you contribute to making this show a billion dollar hit, read about the pain from the journals of children who have been silenced forever.  We owe them that much.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 10:32:00 AM »
Great Post!!! You said it all and I couldn't agree more. Brat Camp is the most disgusting show I have ever seen in my life...and I'm a grandmother. Talk about the exploitation of children for profit, and the violation of their privacy rights. How can those protections be signed away by parents or anyone else? How could supposedly legitimate mental health professionals have such utter disregard for kids they are supposedly treating? Even worse, how could parents do this to their kids in the name of love? No wonder these poor children have behavioral issues, they were obviously raised people incapable of loyalty, honesty, respect or love.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 03:22:00 PM »
BRAT CAMP should be cancelled, I agree.

Will it be?

It's possible the backlash of criticism may pressure ABC to rethink the concept of exploiting parents and children for profit.

Time will tell ...

Barbe
TAUSA

http://www.teenadvocatesusa.org

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 09:47:00 PM »
I want to see a show where cameras follow around the parents who have their kids in programs.  While the kids are locked away, or in the wilderness, they show the parents sleeping in their beds, eatting, going to work, watching tv, typing online, mom goes to the gym, dad goes to the barber, and then they show the kid getting yelled at, thrown in solitary, and threatened, having to live under arbitrary rules and structure.  Oh look it's mom and dad at the BBQ roasting some dogs and sipping beer and wine coolers while their kid gets his face rammed into the floor and a boot in his back just for rolling his eyes.

That would probably be too real for reality tv.

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 01:47:00 PM »
The down side has not be adequately exposed and ABC, in it's quest for Jerry Springer type exploitation should be held partially responsible when more deaths occure as a result of negligence and cruelty - which occurs often.

The supportive, nurturing environment shown on this "reality" program is the exception not the rule. Parents  should beware and search before trusting a program to change their difficult teen.

Never underestimate the power of the status quo...America's schools are part of government, subject to public whim and will.  By and large, we have the kind of schools that people want. While they acknowledge the need for improvement, in other people's schools, most American are reasonably content with their own.
--Former public school superintendent Ronald J. Perry, 1992.

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"