Author Topic: How I Pulled One Over On Da Man  (Read 1394 times)

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
How I Pulled One Over On Da Man
« on: December 09, 2002, 09:53:00 PM »
Hey everyone,

When I first got involved in these posts, I had been unemployed for 6 months, was goofing off like I was on vacation, and not taking life very seriously.  My bank account started shrinking around July, and I started getting serious.  I had becaome a client of Vocational Rehabilitation due to the fact that I had bipolar disorder and therefore was eligible for any and all benefits.

Rather than go out on some damn fool crusade and pound my chest like a gorilla at all the 'big bad'

former Board Members, I did something for me.  I pulled my head out of my ass and utilized my Dept. of Health and Human Services to better myself.  I see a very competant therapist twice a month, paid for by the State.  My job coach has visited w.w.w.thestraights.com and is fully aware of what I went through as a teenager and helps me in any way she can.  I have recieved vouchers for work supplies, clothes, haircuts, transit passes, transportation re-embursement, and will recieve tuition for school once I have been at my new job for over 90 days.  In September, I was very close to becoming homeless, but now, I am a Pinellas County Schools Bus Driver.  I am being weaned off of foodstamps, and starting in January, I will be on my own with follow up visits.  I also begin to pay for my medication out of pocket as well.  I have a stress related disorder and will be working in one of the most stressful jobs in the county, but I would'nt have it any other way.

My posts are my affidavit, and if they are not accepted in a court of law the way they are here, then there is no point in writing them any different.  If it is possible in the future to put my experiences into the mainstream media, fine, but I have always believed that what goes around comes around.  I think that it is time for people to face their inner darkness and realize that the big bad boogieman they see in the dark, is just their own poorly illuminated reflection in the mirror of reality.  Its time to stop playing in the ashes of your burnt out dreams and stand up and walk towards your uncertain future and try to make something of yourselves.  I did, and I was one of the ones that wound up "crazy" after straight.

We walked in darkness, kept hitting the walls
I took the time to feel for the door
I had been treated, but what the hell for?

[ This Message was edited by: 85 Day Jerk on 2002-12-09 18:55 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 02:49:00 PM »
Hey buddy,
  Glad to hear you're weathering the storm OK. I'm with ya' on the point that "these posts are my affidavit". I've never been too fond of dealing in the legal system. Not that it's any less trecherous than the court of public opinion. But, somehow, it just seems a lot less scary when there's an element of chance rather than the sense that the game is rigged against you from the begining.

I part ways with you, though, here "I think that it is time for people to face their inner darkness and realize that the big bad boogieman they see in the dark, is just their own poorly illuminated reflection in the mirror of reality. Its time to stop playing in the ashes of your burnt out dreams and stand up and walk towards your uncertain future and try to make something of yourselves. I did, and I was one of the ones that wound up "crazy" after straight."

NORML recently did an ad campaign out in California that sort of paralels my point. They posted billboards and bus shelter ads saying something to the effect of "Last year, 734,000 people were arrested on MJ charges. 85% of those arrestes were for simple posession. No wonder we're paranoid!"

No, I don't think it's just my reflection in a darkened, fractured mirror. I'm pretty sure that DFAF influence on public policy is quite real and extremely harmful. It's my money, my government and my kids' future they're fucking with. I hold no illusion that any one thing that I do or say will change all that. But I'll do all I can with what resources I have to help ensure liberty and justice for future generations. Doesn't mean I'm neglecting any other responsibilities or living in the past. Just means that I believe strongly in learning from history.

I am married, not Buried !
-- Steve Webb

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 04:16:00 PM »
I'm glad things are working out for you, 85. I really am. I for one, have never lived in the past. I walked away from Straight, had 6   ::crybaby::  and have made my name as mom, wife, teacher - but in my spare time, I'm willing to do what I can to prevent other kids, possibly MY kids, from going through the hell that we all went through. There may be some people involved in this stuff who need to balance their lives a little differently, but I for one, and doing well all the way around.

Keep on, keepin' on   ::rainbow::

Shelby

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 06:42:00 PM »
I am glad to hear that you have found your way.  I have admired your memorable writting skills and the way you remember the details.  God, some of your posts have been great ones.
I agree with the statement about your previous writtings.  The way I see it, if some legal eagle reads my posts, and gets interested, they will contact me and I will decide from there.  
The drug war...hell,it won't change.  I wish, I dream, but even I can't smoke-out anymore.  Ever seen an RN fail a piss test?  Bye bye license.
Keep kickin' it friend!!
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2002, 08:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone, I am sorry for sounding so harsh in the last post.  The people I was really aiming at probably don't even log on anymore.  I still fight the fight, only in a more subtle way.  My bumper stickers were delayed because of the rain.  The guy from the paper company left the special ordered stock on his van and since it was pouring cold rain at the time, it was overlooked.  This was Monday morning.  It rained for 3 straight days down here in Tampa Bay.

The stickers may be finished as soon as tomorrow afternoon, as I stopped by the printer today (Wed)

to see if they were ready.  They are really gonna kick ass!  They are being printed on vinyl coated stock, will be weather resistant and last a damn long time.  This is my way of fighting back at the DFAF and the powers that were behind straight.

I put a lot of thought into the design and drew off my art experience to come up with something that is eye-catching and thought provoking as well

as informative.  A thousand thanks go to Wes Fager as well for granting his permission to place

his website address at the bottom of each and every sticker.  May they remain stuck to the stop signs of middle school bus stops for years to come!  P.S.  For anyone tuning in late, the prototype bumper sticker can be viewed at the Yahoo Straight Alumni site under the "files" section, go check it out, and if you want 3 free stickers, send a self addressed stamped #9 envelope to 354 13th Ave NE   St. Petersburg, FL 33701     and they'll get to you as soon as they can.  This is all that I will be giving out for Christmas, but it beats a cheesy Hallmark Card!!

[ This Message was edited by: 85 Day Jerk on 2002-12-11 17:40 ]
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?