Author Topic: "group consequences" and other bullshit  (Read 4990 times)

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
"group consequences" and other bullshit
« on: July 27, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »
Yet again if anyone was as bad as they said they are, or even fully adult and able to stand up for themselves, the staffers would be smashed with a rock in their sleep.

"Group consequences" my ass. Considering the low caloric density if the food given to them and the extreme exertion in extreme cold theyre forced to do, loading up on calories by "snacking" is instinctual and normal. But hey, controlling that is part of breaking their will... I mean "breaking through" and making them "open to ideas" NOT brainwashing!

I was able to maybe see a few minutes of this bullshit. Vague goals of "being where you should be" because they 'dont respect' (dont SUBMIT), 'group consequences' and the bait and switch mindgame "you wont be home before christmas" is all run of the mill and something I know to look for, but apparently 1. the teenagers are too far regressed to do anything except be depressed or angry or made hopeless (the intended effect, its to break them, duh) and 2. a lot of the idiot viewers that are adults at home buy into it too.

I'll post a log w/ a friend on AIM just to show what I mean here:

My_Friend: And what's sad is how high it is on the ratings chart and how adults all talk about how good a show it is (ive heard them personally)
Me: "good show"?
Me: as in they think thats a good thing to do?
My_Friend: And I was like "they torture them and starve them there" and their response was "that just shows them how good they have it at their homes"
Me: .-.
Me: most of the cruelty is emotional and psychological
Me: but hey, you replace words with buzz words, put a indian spin on it, call breakdowns breakthroughs, and call making them suggestive your PC word for brainwashing, idiots eat it up

BTW, shes 16, hence why she still uses those terms despite being basically adult by now.. except in some circumstances, gogo double standards.

Until you've lost your reputation,you never realize what a burden it was or what freedom really is.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/068483068X/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>MARGARET MITCHELL

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 10:03:00 PM »
IRONY OF THE MOMENT - right now on southpark, its "earthday brainwashing festival"

So yeah, I saw that episode... kind of like how youre drawn to stare at something ugly or traumatic, like a mutilated body on the side of the road...

Well, go figure, its just like every other damn program. The whole point is to cause emotional breakdown, call it a 'break through' and instigate them by any means... terror and humiliation seem to work, so then they spew all their perseonal shit and are made 'suggestable' - this is how brainwashing works, people, not jedi mind tricks.

And now theyre doing that "solo" shit... forcing them to freak out even more to cuase more 'breakthoughs'...  :roll: I really just cant see how people just blindly buy into this now!

God, then they have the angry kid yelling something I couldnt make out and painting their faces to rictualize this even more... jesus fuck, why not just hand them over to a more obvious cult or just beat them into a 'breakthrough' with a damn rattan cane?

This disgusts me.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. The people who ran straight had the best of intentions. I hope they reached their destination.

http://stopsembler.org/' target='_new'>James Lloyd

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 08:58:00 AM »
Glad I skiped it!
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
Im glad I didn't... for the sole reason that I have something in common to speak about with almost anyone who might come by - who wouldnt have at least seen some of one episode if theyre a fornits regular?

But, OTOH, I guess the other reason I wanted to see it was the same reason a soldier or a commander made arrangements to go see a concentration camp after hearing about its discovery. At least theres a bit of a solemn gesture in doing so - I just saw it, those children lived it.

All thinking men are atheists.
--Ernest Hemingway, American author

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 03:03:00 PM »
Yeah I have seen parts of episodes, but I generally skip it because it pisses me off that something so wrong can exist and there is nothing I can directly do about it right now.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 07:38:00 PM »
On 2005-07-28 12:03:00, OverLordd wrote:

"Yeah I have seen parts of episodes, but I generally skip it because it pisses me off that something so wrong can exist and there is nothing I can directly do about it right now."

I can't watch it. I know it would upset me too much. My friend called me the other night and said it was pretty disgusting.

Pandora's box has been opened with this garbage and there's probably no turning back either.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline The Liger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 08:12:00 PM »
I have been watching Brat Camp every week.  It just totally brings me back to being a teenager.  I am 27 now, but when I watch that show, it is like I am there all over again.  

Last night, the girl Lauren was crying uncontrollably because it was the anniversary of her father's death.  I remember doing the same thing at my program on the anniversary of my mother's death.  It really broke my heart to see her away going through this with strangers and on national television.  At the program I was in, I was not allowed to talk about my biological parents because they were "druggies."  I do not know what would be worse though: having to keep it inside or having the entire world see your pain.

Anyway, I hope that I never forget the pain of being a teenager.  I think that if all of us here who remember what it was like can apply that in our parenting, our children will be so much better off than we were.  Maybe our discussions will never put an end to these programs, but at least in our personal lives we can change our parenting approach from that of our parents.  Understanding instead of tough love: I really think that is key to building meaningful and trusting relationships with our children.  If all that ever comes out of this is that our children have better parents than we had, well then I guess it will have been worth it.
t\'s pretty much my favorite animal. It\'s like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 09:58:00 PM »
I've watched every week and have wondered how many teens are watching. And how many teens that are 'at risk' of being sent are watching?? And what effect that might have on a kid who is sent. Like, will it have the same impact if the kid knows before hand what they are being thrown into, and there's no element of surprise, if they know all the 'unknowns' before they go?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline The Liger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 12:27:00 AM »
I bet parents are all like, "Yeah, you want us to send you there?  You better shape up!"  And kids are living in fear of being whisked away in the middle of the night.
t\'s pretty much my favorite animal. It\'s like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 01:17:00 AM »
What Im afraid of is them being sucked into the "emotional growth" paradigm thats coming out of the LGAs and Programs... but Id hope a teenager would be more likely to see it for what it is, a "psycho cryfest", than to be sucked into it like so many "adults" I see sucked into them.

That being broken down to your lowest state and having a psychological regression is "growth", that break downs are break throughs, and sobbing and mumbling incoherantly or going through what that poor girl did wednesday night... is good and necessary!

Why do grown, mature people get sucked into this? WHAT is wrong with everyone?

We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there;  lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid.  She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again---and that is well;  but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search?tag=circlofmiamithem&keyword=mark+twain&mode=books' target='_new'> Mark Twain

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 04:58:00 AM »
On 2005-07-28 18:58:00, Deborah wrote:

"

I've watched every week and have wondered how many teens are watching. And how many teens that are 'at risk' of being sent are watching?? And what effect that might have on a kid who is sent. Like, will it have the same impact if the kid knows before hand what they are being thrown into, and there's no element of surprise, if they know all the 'unknowns' before they go? "

The element of surpirse will not be entirely absent.  For a start, I believe the kids on Brat Camp were tricked there.  In real life they will be kidnapped from their beds.  Then they probably don't believe that their parents would do such a thing.  And, as we all know, what we see on the screen is not the real deal.  There will be plenty more surprises when the TV cameras ware not around.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »
On 2005-07-29 01:58:00, Anonymous wrote:

And, as we all know, what we see on the screen is not the real deal. There will be plenty more surprises when the TV cameras ware not around.

Yeah, if the camera crew weren't there, I think little Derek would have been dragged by his feet before Frank would have had the chance to help him up.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. ... All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.
--Hermann Goering, Luftwaffe commander, sentenced to death at Nuremberg

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 02:31:00 PM »
And/or thrown from the cliff.
I was really shocked that they didn't force him. Might they have considered that him having an hysterical breakdown caused by repelling could've been too much for even the hardest ass watching?
He looked to be in a mild state of shock.
And then the repelling crew may have refused to force anyone due to liability issues.
[ This Message was edited by: Deborah on 2005-07-29 11:49 ]
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 03:20:00 PM »
The show as edited. I was wondering how much pressure they really put on Derrick before giving up. I bet it took a lot longer than they made it appear.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 05:25:00 PM »
On 2005-07-29 11:31:00, Deborah wrote:

He looked to be in a mild state of shock.
And then the repelling crew may have refused to force anyone due to liability issues.

He's looked like a different kid from the tweak they showed in the before shots since at least the end of last week's episode. I think he broke for real during the hike to Eagle Camp.

Our country has deliberately undertaken a great social and economic experimanet, noble in motive and far-reaching in purpose. [The Eighteenth Amendment, enacting Prohibition.]
Letter to Senator W.H. Borah
--Herbert Hoover (Feb 28, 1928)

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes