Author Topic: Carlbrook  (Read 561849 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2005, 12:23:00 PM »
On 2005-09-14 08:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-09-13 16:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

" I see degrees from major universities such as U of Maine, Furman, U of Kentucky and Wash U.  This appears to be a faculty with pretty impressive credentials, which doesn't say anything about the BM program or how the staff interacts with the kids."

I am a licensed clinical practitioner with over 10 years experience in the mental health field. Sorry, I disagree. These schools do not have impressive clinical programs. They rank at the bottom. A program that charges around $5000 per month per student could afford to hire seasoned clinicians who have graduated from top clinical programs (ie: Columbia University, Smith College, Stamford, UCLA, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, Boston College, Fordham University, NYU, etc.). Carlbrook is not a prisoner of low pay Medicaid reimbursement, like most programs. Yet, for some reason, this program hires the bottom of the barrel. Perhaps their budget favors the "Board of Regents" staff over the clinical staff? This would explain the unimpressive clinical credentials."

Thanks for your insight.  

These programs have low-paid, un- or underqualified "clinicians" who generally can't work at other more reputable places for a couple of reasons.  One, the "treatment" provided has been shown by study after study after study to be ineffective at best,  and outright damaging at worst.  And two, they exist solely for the purpose of making a huge profit.

When one understands these facts, the reasoning behind their operations strategy becomes painfully obvious.

-Arnold Schopenhauer[ This Message was edited by: Dysfunction Junction on 2005-09-14 09:25 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2005, 12:29:00 PM »
On 2005-09-14 08:38:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"There's plenty of information on this website to highlight the connections of these institutions.  You can start with Tim Brace.  He's worked for several abusive programs including CEDU, Mt. Bachelor and ASW and tried (may have succeeded) in opening a WWASP facility in Puerto Rico.

You're dead-on about the credentials.  A degree is worthless unless it is from an ACCREDITED institution.  These "programs" are rife with employees with fake degrees from unaccredited "colleges."  The problem is that the parents who send their kids to these places don't care.  To them, if there's a degree it's legitimate and the degree holder is competent.  It's part of the dogmatic nature of the program culture.

I worked at one of the industry's "flagship" programs where the clinical director had a phony PhD from an unaccredited diploma mill.  For $5000 anyone (literally ANYONE with a mailing address) can be a "doctor."

Please continue to post what you find and how things shake out...
"

TIM BRACE EYEING NEW OPPORTUNITIES

After seven years with increasingly responsible positions with the company, Tim Brace is leaving his position as Executive Director of Educational Services at Aspen Youth Services. In a phone discussion with Woodbury Reports, Brace said ?The future holds many opportunities in this arena and I intend to be a part of the movement to reach more families and children as well as enhance the quality of services provided. I am grateful to the many that have supported the efforts I have been involved with and who have shared time with Kathleen and our family. I look forward to working with you in the future.?

Brace?s 20-year career working with teens with behavioral/emotional problems spans the development of this unique industry. He has influenced the emergence of emotional growth schools and programs from a little-known alternative to mainstream psychiatric hospitalization, to a widely accepted and respected self-developing network of residential schools and programs.

Almost exactly 20 years ago, in 1980, CEDU School in Running Springs, California hired Brace based on his innate ability, almost in spite of his newly acquired Masters of Counseling degree. The school was working hard to gain acceptance as a viable alternative to the ?diagnose and medicate,? method for working with teens with behavioral/emotional problems, which was prevalent at the time. Brace became a leader in this rapidly growing school that was striving to differentiate themselves from ?business as usual.? He worked consecutively as Counselor, Family Head, Assistant Director and Director of Rocky Mountain Academy in Bonners Ferry, Idaho, then returned to CEDU as Headmaster.

In 1993, Brace left CEDU and joined what is now known as Aspen Youth Services. He served as Executive Director/Headmaster of Mount Bachelor Academy in Bend, Oregon, a school founded on principles similar to those of CEDU, as evidenced by their expanding number of schools serving similar populations of teens with behavioral/emotional problems as those served by CEDU. Brace was instrumental in the growth of Aspen Youth Services: he founded Swift River Academy in Massachusetts in 1997, served as Executive Director of Residential Schools, and most recently held the position of Executive Director of Educational Services for Aspen Youth Services.

Reminiscing on the phone, he observed that 20 years ago when he started with CEDU, the options for parents wanting something other than residential psychiatric or treatment programs were very few. He considered himself very fortunate to land one of the few jobs available that offered a different vision, that of serving kids? needs, rather than just addressing their diagnoses. Now, 20 years later, as he looks at the opportunities open to him, he sees almost unlimited opportunity in a rapidly expanding field. Where 20 years ago CEDU was virtually a voice crying in the wilderness, now he sees a large number of schools and programs growing and expanding their impact. Opportunities are heightened also by the large number of supporting businesses growing up around this network, such as consultants of all types making a living directly helping parents and bringing their expertise to schools and programs. This developing network of schools and programs is maturing, recently even forming their own organization called the National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs (NATSAP), which Brace was instrumental in forming.

Woodbury Reports wishes Tim Brace Good Luck, and has full confidence that the best is yet to come.

Tim Brace can be contacted at
3011 NW Golf view Dr., Bend, Oregon 97701
541-382-2845
[email protected]

Copyright © 2000, Woodbury Reports, Inc. (This article may be reproduced without prior approval if the copyright notice and proper publication and author attribution accompanies the copy.)

Site and content copyright © 2000 by Woodbury Reports Inc. All rights reserved.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2005, 12:59:00 PM »
Dysfunction Junction & Antigen,

Thank you for the info. It will help with my research for the letter of complaint. I am appalled that the NASW would advertise a job opening for this type of program. It demonstrates that a large portion of American society is clueless about these teen programs. I plan on cancelling my NASW membership, if the Carlbrook job advertisement is not removed from their website.

I have strong feelings about these teen programs, and have familiarity with Synanon based crap. I worked (pre-grad school) for an atrotious TC in upstate NY. It was an eye opener. I made several CPS reports, due to witnessing some abusive stuff. But this did nothing to shake the system. It seems that many of these programs remain in existence due to tight political connections, good lawyers, and lots of coin. It makes me sick.

LMSW Woman
(Who keeps ranting about credentials of clinicians)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »
On 2005-09-14 09:59:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Dysfunction Junction & Antigen,

Thank you for the info. It will help with my research for the letter of complaint. I am appalled that the NASW would advertise a job opening for this type of program. It demonstrates that a large portion of American society is clueless about these teen programs. I plan on cancelling my NASW membership, if the Carlbrook job advertisement is not removed from their website.

I have strong feelings about these teen programs, and have familiarity with Synanon based crap. I worked (pre-grad school) for an atrotious TC in upstate NY. It was an eye opener. I made several CPS reports, due to witnessing some abusive stuff. But this did nothing to shake the system. It seems that many of these programs remain in existence due to tight political connections, good lawyers, and lots of coin. It makes me sick.

LMSW Woman

(Who keeps ranting about credentials of clinicians)

"

Hey, no problem.  You're correct about why these places stay open.  They have a cult-like following led by some real political heavy-hitters such as Melvin Sembler (Bush crony, Ambassador to Italy - Founder of Straight, Inc.) and religious figureheads (Monsignor O'Brien - Daytop).

You said you had experience in a Synanon-type program in upstate NY.  I am from upstate NY and worked at Daytop Village ADU in Rhinebeck ten years ago.  Would this be the program for which you worked?  If so, I can surely understand your disenchantment.

Much involvement these "programs" have with professional agencies (you cite NASW) is derived from fraudulent representation of the program itself.  You can blame organizations like NASW for not verifying the information given to them by the programs, but I believe this problem stems from the professional org's expectation of the programs' "good faith" representation rather than any sort of collusion per se.  These places do not operate in good faith on any level.

They are notorious for abusing clients, lying to parents/guardians and extracting the maximum dollar from desperate people looking to "save" their children.  It's deplorable and disgusting.

Be sure to post what you find, as this site gets hit pretty well by google and other search engines when people are researching programs for placement of a child and any child spared the inevitable psychological abuse is well worth your time.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2005, 02:31:00 PM »
Carlbrook is an excellent program with a reputable therapeutic staff.  Any parents who are researching this school should go to http://www.strugglingteens.com and post in the program section and ask for information.  The information on this site is way off base and posted by disgruntled kids and adults who have no idea what they are talking about.
As you can see from other posts in this forum, these are a bunch of crazies who think all emotional growth programs are abusive.  
Do not base any decisions on the crap posted on this site.  Visit the school, meet the staff and make an informed decision.

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2005, 02:49:00 PM »
Wow, I don't think we got such a blatent trolling and dismissal in the last... oh... say 24 hours. Indeed, our surviors have no earthly idea what their talking about, indeed the hundreds of people that post on this site are all full of crap, and we all have a screw lose... maybe we should all just go home. Here is what I think. If enough people cry wolf loud enough, chances are he has shown up.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2005, 03:04:00 PM »
On 2005-09-14 11:31:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Carlbrook is an excellent program with a reputable therapeutic staff.  Any parents who are researching this school should go to http://www.strugglingteens.com and post in the program section and ask for information.  The information on this site is way off base and posted by disgruntled kids and adults who have no idea what they are talking about.

As you can see from other posts in this forum, these are a bunch of crazies who think all emotional growth programs are abusive.  

Do not base any decisions on the crap posted on this site.  Visit the school, meet the staff and make an informed decision."

Read the posts below in regard to the "therapeutic staff" of Carlbrook, heck, look for yourself on their website, and you'll plainly see, as was correctly pointed out by an earlier poster, there is exactly one licensed professional on staff.

Also, you will also clearly see that there are staff (including the "top guy," Tim Brace) that have deep connections to abusive facilities/programs, such as CEDU, which was closed due to the overwhelming costs of lawsuits brought against them and won by abused "students."

The poster who says that the people posting here (LICENSED clinicians and other professional, among others) are "crazy" is, in fact, crazy him/herself.  Anyone can look on StrugglingTeens(Parents) themselves, but they need to understand that Lon Woodbury, proprietor, is a former CEDU employee and earns his paychecks by referring Struggling Parents to the selfsame programs listed on his website.  It's all a big money-making scam designed to enrich Mr. Woodbury and his sycophants, like this poster, who recieve huge referral fees for getting desperate, exasperated parents to incarcerate their children at facilities like Carlbrook.

Now, that doesn't sound so crazy, does it?
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »

"Carlbrook is an excellent program with a reputable therapeutic staff.  Any parents who are researching this school should go to http://www.strugglingteens.com and post in the program section and ask for information.  The information on this site is way off base and posted by disgruntled kids and adults who have no idea what they are talking about.

Do not base any decisions on the crap posted on this site.  Visit the school, meet the staff and make an informed decision."

Read the posts below in regard to the "therapeutic staff" of Carlbrook, heck, look for yourself on their website, and you'll plainly see, as was correctly pointed out by an earlier poster, there is exactly one licensed professional on staff.

Also, you will also clearly see that there are staff (including the "top guy," Tim Brace) that have deep connections to abusive facilities/programs, such as CEDU, which was closed due to the overwhelming costs of lawsuits brought against them and won by abused "students."

The poster who says that the people posting here (LICENSED clinicians and other professional, among others) are "crazy" is, in fact, crazy him/herself. Anyone can look on StrugglingTeens(Parents) themselves, but they need to understand that Lon Woodbury, proprietor, is a former CEDU employee and earns his paychecks by referring Struggling Parents to the selfsame programs listed on his website. It's all a big money-making scam designed to enrich Mr. Woodbury and his sycophants, like this poster, who recieve huge referral fees for getting desperate, exasperated parents to incarcerate their children at facilities like Carlbrook.

Now, that doesn't sound so crazy, does it?
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2005, 03:25:00 PM »

The post quoted below is from the same "Carlbrook Parent" who posted above.  Talk about your "crazies"!  These people are truly nuts and will say anything to try to discredit anyone who criticizes programs.  Read on...

"I have attempted to discuss programs with you before, to no avail, because you continue to resort to your "all programs are bad" tape and will never consider any other viewpoint. In fact, numerous people have attempted to discuss specific programs with you, including kids who have attended them. You insist that they are brainwashed.

Anyone reading these threads can easily see what happens when a discussion of specific programs in attempted. You are a one-trick pony, and the "no wonder your kid is so fucked up" record is getting really old. In fact, my kid could never approach the level of dysfunction as you, by your own admission in choosing your name, have attained.

I would worry about you being a parent, but I don't see much chance of that happening because no one would possibly ever be in a relationship with you. I suppose there is the horrible possibility that you could rape someone, but you probably don't leave your computer terminal long enough."

Now who exactly is "crazy"?  All together now: NO WONDER YOUR KIDS ARE SO FUCKED UP!
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2005, 04:01:00 PM »
I posted the recent post, but did not post the older one referenced.  Sorry- try again.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »
On 2005-09-14 05:43:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The link was to the Advising Staff and the issue was credentials- i.e. degrees etc.

Dysfunction, I seriously doubt that you can support your claim of abuse allegations against Time Brace INDIVIDUALLY. Once again, you are speaking out of the wrong hole in your body and slandering someone."

Yeah, well I went to Rocky Mountain Academy when Tim Brace was the Dean, and I can tell you, he was certainly verbally abusive. Just like all of the other staff there, in the textbook CEDU style. This normally took place during raps, propheets or workshops. More importantly, I can also state with certainty that he was definitely not qualified to be counseling anyone. I have been in therapy with qualified people, so I can tell the difference. He also really didn't have much insight into teenage development. All he knew about were CEDU bumper sticker slogans and pushing that ideology.

It's weird, cause when you had a normal, rational conversation with him, he seemed to be a normal guy, but once you got in a rap with him, he'd yell at you. All the staff were like that. Some more sadistic than others. He wasn't the worst of them, though. I think Caroline Wolf probably holds that title as the most unqualified and irresponsible. But he certainly shouldn't be counseling troubled teens.

Granted, the CEDU schools were nothing like the Seed or Straight Inc. in terms of levels of abusiveness, but they were still pretty disturbing.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2005, 06:04:00 PM »

Carlbrook has no business advertising itself as a therapeutic place for kids with emotional and substance abuse issues. For example, they are not licensed by the Virginia Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse. You can look up licensed mental health and substance abuse programs here: http://www.dmhmrsas.virginia.gov/SVC-LPS-orgresult.asp

Who is crazy? The critics? Not based upon my research! Parents who send kids here do so at their own risk. There is minimal outside oversight at this facility. This program (because it is for-profit and nonreliant upon taxpayer funding, Medicaid, and private insurance) has a lot of freedom to "therapize" kids as they see fit. Carlbrook and its practitioners are not beholden to the same regulations as licensed providers.

They claim to treat kids with emotional problems. Why is there no psychiatrist (MD) on staff? Why is there only 1 licensed clinician in a long list of clinicians ("advisors")?

For $5700+ per month, I could think of research proven effective, safe, and less restrictive ways to treat kids with problems. And the parents would have more money in their pockets.

Emotional growth programs? Wilderness Therapy?They don't teach that garbage in any reputable, ethical, clinical graduate program. Why? Because it is NOT research proven effective.

LMSW Woman

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2005, 06:20:00 PM »
I would like to hear from former Carlbrook students who believe they were abused in any way or who feel that the staff was lacking in some way.  
Please speak up if you are out there.  Everything we have here on this thread from parents or students who actually have experience with the program is positive.  Maybe this Tim Brace changed???

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2005, 06:50:00 PM »
On 2005-09-14 15:20:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I would like to hear from former Carlbrook students who believe they were abused in any way or who feel that the staff was lacking in some way.  

Please speak up if you are out there.  Everything we have here on this thread from parents or students who actually have experience with the program is positive.  Maybe this Tim Brace changed???"

Most of the Carlbrook students who have commented in this thread have been out a few months to a year. Hardly any time to gain any real perspective. I was still towing the RMA line a year out of school, too. It took me a while to deprogram myself and get a real clue as to what really happened at that school and deal with all of the resentment and disturbing feelings I had.

Like I said, I could have been in worse places: The Seed. Straight. Elan. But there is no excuse for unqualified people to be counseling teens and taking parents' money.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2005, 06:54:00 PM »
On 2005-09-14 13:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I posted the recent post, but did not post the older one referenced.  Sorry- try again."

You're a liar.  You won't even take accountability for writing trash like that.  Not only are you a liar, you're a cowardly liar.

Chorus:  NO WONDER YOUR KIDS ARE SO FUCKED UP!
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control