Author Topic: Carlbrook  (Read 510812 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2005, 05:25:00 PM »
On 2005-09-13 11:22:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I have a slightly different perspective on Carlbrook. I never heard of this school until today. I am a LMSW (Licensed Master of Social Work) and found a job listing for Carlbrook on the NASW (National Association of Social Workers) website. The job advertisement was misleading: it made Carlbrook sound like a boarding school for the intellectually gifted student. I was shocked that they are willing to consider "MSWs in progress". That means they are willing to hire unlicensed social workers.

When I went to the Carlbrook website, I learned that the therapists / counselors are called "advisors." Many have graduated from unaccredited schools of psychology and social work. Looks like lots of internet degrees from universities in the Carribean. Few, if any, seem to have credentials that would get them a state license to practice psychology or social work.

Then I read about the Wilderness Therapy prerequisite. Wilderness Therapy is NOT research proven effective. And the benefits are highly questionable. I would never refer any child or family to such a program.

Next, I read about the Dean's experience at CEDU and Cascade here.

This all amounts to one thing for me: Something smells fishy. I am going to write to the NASW about my concerns.

Perhaps Carlbrook is a decent place. But I won't attach my name to this type of organization. Too many red flags."

What do you have to say now, big-mouth Karen and big-mouth Ben's Dad?  Gonna call a few names and throw a fit?  Would you like to refute any of these statements?

Face it, you sent your kid to quacks.  Web-footed, waddling quacks.  And you paid a bundle for it.  Sucker.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2005, 07:55:00 PM »
I am not a parent, but I checked the Carlbrook website and I don't see any evidence of internet degrees.  I see degrees from major universities such as U of Maine, Furman, U of Kentucky and Wash U.  This appears to be a faculty with pretty impressive credentials, which doesn't say anything about the BM program or how the staff interacts with the kids.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2005, 08:26:00 PM »

"I have a slightly different perspective on Carlbrook. I never heard of this school until today. I am a LMSW (Licensed Master of Social Work) and found a job listing for Carlbrook on the NASW (National Association of Social Workers) website. The job advertisement was misleading: it made Carlbrook sound like a boarding school for the intellectually gifted student. I was shocked that they are willing to consider "MSWs in progress". That means they are willing to hire unlicensed social workers.

When I went to the Carlbrook website, I learned that the therapists / counselors are called "advisors." Many have graduated from unaccredited schools of psychology and social work. Looks like lots of internet degrees from universities in the Carribean. Few, if any, seem to have credentials that would get them a state license to practice psychology or social work.

Then I read about the Wilderness Therapy prerequisite. Wilderness Therapy is NOT research proven effective. And the benefits are highly questionable. I would never refer any child or family to such a program.

This all amounts to one thing for me: Something smells fishy. I am going to write to the NASW about my concerns.

Perhaps Carlbrook is a decent place. But I won't attach my name to this type of organization. Too many red flags."

Thank you so much!  Someone with credentials who actually cares what's going on in the for profit, teen help industry and is not afraid (or too busy) to express their concerns.

And yes, you are right.  Something stinks allright when kids are being shortchanged by facilities who can not (or will not) hire properly credentialed staff.  As you say, Carlbrook may be a "decent" place, but I agree, there are too many red flags.

Good luck, hope you will keep us updated.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2005, 08:34:00 PM »
http://carlbrook.org/faculty/index.htm#advise

What is wrong with the credentials of this advising staff?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2005, 10:29:00 PM »

This was exactly the problem with the CEDU schools. The faculty were uncertified. Had little or no experience, (except in screaming.) It all came as a reaction to the psychiatric community/industry of the 60s, I believe. That was Mel's vision. He didn't want "stodgy Docs" getting in the way, he wanted something "looser", I guess. It totally reminds me of that Brad Goodman line from the Simpsons. "I don't have any 'credentials', but I have a 'pHD' in pain."

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2005, 08:31:00 AM »
On 2005-09-13 17:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

"http://carlbrook.org/faculty/index.htm#advise

What is wrong with the credentials of this advising staff?"

Well, you can start with the very first name, Tim Brace.  He has experience working at some of the most abusive programs in the "business," and many children have claimed that he has abused them directly.

-Arnold Schopenhauer[ This Message was edited by: Dysfunction Junction on 2006-04-05 16:26 ]
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2005, 08:43:00 AM »
The link was to the Advising Staff and the issue was credentials- i.e. degrees etc.
Dysfunction, I seriously doubt that you can support your claim of abuse allegations against Time Brace INDIVIDUALLY. Once again, you are speaking out of the wrong hole in your body and slandering someone.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2005, 09:31:00 AM »
On 2005-09-14 05:43:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The link was to the Advising Staff and the issue was credentials- i.e. degrees etc.

Dysfunction, I seriously doubt that you can support your claim of abuse allegations against Time Brace INDIVIDUALLY. Once again, you are speaking out of the wrong hole in your body and slandering someone."

God, you people are fucking tedious.  I didn't slander anyone (if I did anything wrong - which I did NOT - it would be libel).  

I never claimed anything.  All I said is that he worked at two facilities well-known for child abuse (both have been the subject of lawsuits/charges - all documented).

-Arnold Schopenhauer
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2005, 09:35:00 AM »
On 2005-09-14 05:43:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The link was to the Advising Staff and the issue was credentials- i.e. degrees etc.

Dysfunction, I seriously doubt that you can support your claim of abuse allegations against Time Brace INDIVIDUALLY. Once again, you are speaking out of the wrong hole in your body and slandering someone."

Would it make you feel better if the credentials said "Tim Brace, M.A. Child Abuse"?  Who cares what someone's degree is if they're a child abuser?  You seem to think it's okay to hurt children, as long as the abuser has a degree.

That's because you are a DEAF, DUMB and BLIND supporter of child abuse.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2005, 10:01:00 AM »
"Tim Brace. He has experience working at some of the most abusive programs in the "business," and many children have claimed that he has abused them directly. Lawsuits are pending currently... "

This is what you said.  Differs from "All I said is that he worked at two facilities well-known for child abuse (both have been the subject of lawsuits/charges - all documented). "

Who is "fucking dumb"?  Oh-that would by YOU!

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2005, 10:19:00 AM »
Um, no, it's you that is dumb.  You sent your kid to some quacks to be abused, not me.

Show me where I said "Tim Brace is a child abuser."  I never said that.  I never libeled anyone.  You're the moron who thinks that I can be sued.  That proves exactly how moronic you are.

Again, serve up some papers or get a some new material for your monologue, retard.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2005, 11:24:00 AM »
LMSW here again. Let me clarify about the  credentialing of clinical staff.

Some psychology and social work programs are NOT accredited by the APA or the Social Work Counsel of Education. This means that someone can obtain the degree (MS in Psychology or the MSW) and NOT be eligible for state licensure to practice. Most Master of Psychology degrees do not qualify someone to be an independent practioner, and therefore they cannot be licensed by the state. You usually need a PhD in psychology or a Master of Social Work to be licensed as an independent practitioner. Carlbrook only lists 1 licensed practitioner, who happens to be a PhD in psychology. This means the majority of clinical staff at Carlbrook are unlicensed, hence unregulated by the state.

Some "advisors" listed on Carlbrook's website (clinical staff) have degrees from internet universities (ie: Argosy University). These degrees are total BS. Any program worth a grain of salt would not hire clinical staff with these questionable, nonlicensed credentials.

Sorry if I sound like an education snob. But I am not impressed by any of the institutions listed under the names of the advisors. Radford University? Appalachin State University? Francis Marion University? These schools are not in the top 50, maybe even not the top 200. You probably need a GED and half a brain cell to qualify for admission. Just because someone has a degree does not mean they are QUALIFIED to be a clinician. Clinical skills are not attached to a diploma. Any warm body can pass a couple exams, write a couple crappy papers, and purchase a degree.

Can people here please help me gather info about the connection (if any)  between CEDU and Academy at Swift River / Cascade School / Mt. Bachelor Academy? Also, are these schools tied with the Mormons? I am trying to write a letter to the NASW and need more info. Thank you.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Carlbrook
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2005, 11:37:00 AM »
Anon, if Carlbrook is carrying on the CEDU tradition, the real qualification for staff positions is that they have completed a Synanon style program themselves. And, having accepted the myth that it saved their lives, are willing to inflict it onto their captives and to lie, cheat or do whatever it takes to cover for and protect their program. Those bogus degrees are usually acquired for the express purpose of impressing gullible parents who wouldn't know a decent prep school from a POW camp. (litterally!)

Occasionally, a couple of them will get miffed at each other and all kinds of secrets start spilling into the public domain (WWASP v PURE, for example). So that's about the best place to go looking for the names and other facts and details you're looking for. Just search up terms like suite, filing, transcript in combo w/ the sir names you're interested in.

That's all marijuana is, after all. It's just a plant, a common and easily grown one at that. In many cultures, its consumption was lawful for millennia. And in all that time, the bond between thugs, mayhem, murder and marijuana that we see today did not exist.

http://www.mapinc.org/author/Dan+Gardner' target='_new'>Dan Gardner, CanWest News Service

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »
There's plenty of information on this website to highlight the connections of these institutions.  You can start with Tim Brace.  He's worked for several abusive programs including CEDU, Mt. Bachelor and ASW and tried (may have succeeded) in opening a WWASP facility in Puerto Rico.

You're dead-on about the credentials.  A degree is worthless unless it is from an ACCREDITED institution.  These "programs" are rife with employees with fake degrees from unaccredited "colleges."  The problem is that the parents who send their kids to these places don't care.  To them, if there's a degree it's legitimate and the degree holder is competent.  It's part of the dogmatic nature of the program culture.

I worked at one of the industry's "flagship" programs where the clinical director had a phony PhD from an unaccredited diploma mill.  For $5000 anyone (literally ANYONE with a mailing address) can be a "doctor."

Please continue to post what you find and how things shake out...
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2005, 11:55:00 AM »
On 2005-09-13 16:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

" I see degrees from major universities such as U of Maine, Furman, U of Kentucky and Wash U.  This appears to be a faculty with pretty impressive credentials, which doesn't say anything about the BM program or how the staff interacts with the kids."

I am a licensed clinical practitioner with over 10 years experience in the mental health field. Sorry, I disagree. These schools do not have impressive clinical programs. They rank at the bottom. A program that charges around $5000 per month per student could afford to hire seasoned clinicians who have graduated from top clinical programs (ie: Columbia University, Smith College, Stamford, UCLA, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, Boston College, Fordham University, NYU, etc.). Carlbrook is not a prisoner of low pay Medicaid reimbursement, like most programs. Yet, for some reason, this program hires the bottom of the barrel. Perhaps their budget favors the "Board of Regents" staff over the clinical staff? This would explain the unimpressive clinical credentials.