Author Topic: ISAC Watch List of Programs and Referral Companies  (Read 4005 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ISAC Watch List of Programs and Referral Companies
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 02:24:00 PM »
FACILITIES:

AARC (Alberta Adolescent Recovery Center) - Canada**

Academy at Ivy Ridge - New York*

Bethel Girls Academy - Mississippi* CLOSED but May Reopen

Browning Academy - Utah* - Does not physically exist

Carolina Springs Academy - South Carolina*

Casa By The Sea - Mexico* CLOSED but Still Trying to Reopen

Cross Creek Manor/Center/Academy - Utah*

Darrington Academy - Georgia*

Devereux Foundation - multiple centers nationwide

Eagle Point Christian Academy previously named Bethel Boys Academy - Mississippi*

Elan School - Maine

Escuela Caribe - Dominican Republic

Growing Together - Florida**

Kids Helping Kids - Ohio**

King George School - Vermont

Lighthouse of North West Florida - previously named Victory Christian Academy and Genesis Ministries - Jay, Florida

Majestic Ranch Academy - Utah*

Midwest Academy - Iowa*

New Beginnings Maternity Home - Utah*

New Beginnings Rebekah Academy - Pace, Florida

New Haven Residential Treatment Center - Utah

Oaks Treatment Center - Texas

Operation Par - Florida**

Pathway Family Center - Indiana and Michigan**

Phoenix Institute - Georgia**

Provo Canyon School - Utah

Refuge, Operated by Love In Action - Tennessee

SAFE (Substance Abuse and Family Education) - Florida**

Second Chance - Tennessee**

Spring Creek Lodge - Montana*

Thayer Learning Center/TLC Boot Camp - Missouri

Tranquility Bay - Jamaica*

Turn-About Ranch - Utah

Whitmore Academy - Utah

REFERRAL AGENCIES:

P.U.R.E., Inc.

Source:  ISAC Watchlist

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 03:21:00 PM »
Excerpt:

Whitmore Academy

Whitmore Academy is located in Nephi, Utah.

The facility is owned and operated by Mark and Cheryl Sudweeks.

On June 10, 2005, Cheryl Sudweeks was formally charged with 5 counts of child abuse and 2 counts of hazing.

An investigation into possible child abuse at Whitmore Academy began in November 2004 after a student reported being beaten at the facility.

The facility is still the subject of a criminal investigation and is no longer licensed as a treatment center.

State officials have stated publicly that they believe Whitmore is still operating as a therapeutic facility, but claiming to be a boarding school.

In January 2005, a former student posted to an internet message board, describing her personal experience at the facility.

The former student alleged that she was physically and emotionally abused by other students at the direction of Cheryl Sudweeks.

The former student further alleged that she was verbally abused and physically assaulted by Cheryl Sudweeks.

The former student has since received written threats of physical violence from persons claiming to be current and/or former students of Whitmore Academy.

On February 18, 2005, Mark Sudweeks filed against the student in small claims court.

According to the documents obtained by ISAC, Sudweeks is requesting a monetary award for feeding and boarding a horse that belonged to the student, even though the horse was reportedly used by Whitmore as part of the facility's "equine therapy" program.

In 2002, 29 starving horses belonging to Mark Sudweeks were discovered on property he owned in Canada.

In a landmark case by the SPCA, Sudweeks became the first person to be banned from ever owning animals in British Columbia.

In 2001, the Sudweeks were reportedly ordered to leave Mexico after authorities determined they were illegally operating a treatment facility.

Archives of News Articles about Whitmore and Other Facilities can be found here:

http://isaccorp.org/documentsnz.html

Offline Evan Sussman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 03:06:00 AM »
I would like to say that I am a current student. I am going home in a month, and I can vouch that there never was any abuse for the whole duration of my stay here. Since August 11, 2004. Also, I have no reason to believe that there was before I came here. I have been here for the whole duration of the investigation, and I can personally tell you that  there was no reason for this investigation to be prolonged as it has. The only reason that it has been kept open is because of people who are bitter towards Cheryl, and the Whitmore Academy. If there was any type of proof against the Whimore it would be shut down in the blink of an eye. Do you really think that the DCFS would leave a program open that put kids in a harmful enviroment, they could be held accountable.
Evan Sussman
Ex-Student of the Whitmore Academy

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 03:37:00 AM »
On 2005-07-13 00:06:00, Evan Sussman wrote:

"I would like to say that I am a current student. I am going home in a month, and I can vouch that there never was any abuse for the whole duration of my stay here. Since August 11, 2004. Also, I have no reason to believe that there was before I came here. I have been here for the whole duration of the investigation, and I can personally tell you that  there was no reason for this investigation to be prolonged as it has. The only reason that it has been kept open is because of people who are bitter towards Cheryl, and the Whitmore Academy. If there was any type of proof against the Whimore it would be shut down in the blink of an eye. Do you really think that the DCFS would leave a program open that put kids in a harmful enviroment, they could be held accountable.

"

Guess you haven't heard of Skyline Journey?  You know, the now-defunct wilderness therapy program in NEPHI where Ian August died?  UTAH yanked it's license but let them stay open for nearly one year while the owners of Skyline appealed (and lost).  

And this was a program where a child DIED.  I repeat ... A CHILD DIED.

You can do a search on FORNITS for more information on this very tragic incident and also, the reason why Utah eventually pulled the plug on Skyline Journey.  

Better late than never ... but a year?  

Unbelieveable!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 04:04:00 AM »

"I would like to say that I am a current student. I am going home in a month, and I can vouch that there never was any abuse for the whole duration of my stay here. Since August 11, 2004. Also, I have no reason to believe that there was before I came here. I have been here for the whole duration of the investigation, and I can personally tell you that  there was no reason for this investigation to be prolonged as it has. The only reason that it has been kept open is because of people who are bitter towards Cheryl, and the Whitmore Academy. If there was any type of proof against the Whimore it would be shut down in the blink of an eye. Do you really think that the DCFS would leave a program open that put kids in a harmful enviroment, they could be held accountable.

"

Yes, I do believe the authorities in Utah allow abusive programs to keep on operating. Look at Cross Creek Manor-- highly abusive, tons of evidence, but it's been open for 15 years now. Or Majestic Ranch-- open since 1997.

Hopefully, things will go different in this case, and Whitmore will be shut down soon.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 08:37:00 AM »
evan my child was there to and also says no abuse ever happened to them either.  Thanks for posting I have talked to at least 20 families all extremely happy but they dont post here becaus they say the people are crazy that post here.  Several said they got on once and were immediately attacked for not claiming abuse.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 09:31:00 AM »
All you supportive parents will also get to speak up in court, under oath to suppport Cheryl Sudweeks. That's WHY there will be a criminal trial. EVERYBODY gets to talk. Isn't that they way is is SUPPOSE to work?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 09:33:00 AM »
The TRUTH will come out in court--with evidence. Not vicious gossip.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 03:35:00 PM »
That list is not nearly as long as it should be, but it's good to see ISAC is finally focusing on the ed cons and referral agencies.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »
Ya know - the thing is - ISAC can't just list a program or related business based on "gossip" from an open forum. They can't be placing names on a watch list based on rumor or anon complaints.

If anyone has a case to make against any program or related business, file a complaint with ISAC, and be willing to stand by it, and I am confident they will pay attention.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 09:45:00 PM »
Sad that no one can post any positive experiences nor opinions about the Whitmore without immediately being descended upon with ridicule and extreme criticism. That's an obvious given. It's not worth the time, though there is another side to the story by those who are in it.

On 2005-07-13 01:04:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

Yes, I do believe the authorities in Utah allow abusive programs to keep on operating. Look at Cross Creek Manor-- highly abusive, tons of evidence, but it's been open for 15 years now. Or Majestic Ranch-- open since 1997.

Hopefully, things will go different in this case, and Whitmore will be shut down soon. "

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 12:14:00 AM »
DUH...What's positive about a place that is run by a woman charged with child abuse?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 12:32:00 PM »

If there was any type of proof against the Whimore it would be shut down in the blink of an eye. Do you really think that the DCFS would leave a program open that put kids in a harmful enviroment, they could be held accountable.

They just issued another license to kill to Mark Wardel. What do you think?

The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule it by fictitious miracles.
--John Adams, U.S. President

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 12:56:00 PM »
On 2005-07-14 18:45:00, Anonymous wrote:

"
Sad that no one can post any positive experiences nor opinions about the Whitmore without immediately being descended upon with ridicule and extreme criticism. That's an obvious given. It's not worth the time, though there is another side to the story by those who are in it.

Yeah, Manson fans have the same problem. Ya' just can't say anything nice about Charles Manson w/o some joker getting all offended, huh?

War is God?s way of teaching Americans geography.

--Ambrose Bierce (died 1914)

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes