Author Topic: Hyde Leadership School- Washington, DC  (Read 5342 times)

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
Hyde Leadership School- Washington, DC
« on: July 07, 2005, 09:04:00 AM »
Does anyone know anything about this DC school?  I live in DC and have never heard of it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 02:17:00 AM »
Yes, it is a Charter School run by the same folks who started Hyde Schools which is a boarding school for troubled teens!  Read all the posts on this site and you will become well informed!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 03:09:07 PM »
Seems to be doing very well...100% college acceptance/attendance from an inner-city school district...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 10:59:31 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Seems to be doing very well...100% college acceptance/attendance from an inner-city school district...

Lies, lies, and more lies.  These lies come from a school who preaches honesty yet they are liars!!  There isn't 100% college enrollment nor is there 75% college enrollment. I went to Hyde and I know.  It is a sham.  Hyde makes you fill out ten million applications to any school that will accept you.  Then Hyde brags that a high percentage of their students enroll in a four year college.  Truth is that many of these students never attend college or drop out!  Seems ironic that a school that teaches honesty and integrity lies so much.  They wouldn't have to lie to get enrollment up if they truly had a good school.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 06:50:12 AM »

There are posts on this web site about lots of controversy at the Hyde DC school some months ago.  Hyde seems to attract controversy the way lightbulbs attract moths.  It seems unavoidable.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 08:56:11 AM »

Lies, lies, and more lies.  These lies come from a school who preaches honesty yet they are liars!!  There isn't 100% college enrollment nor is there 75% college enrollment. I went to Hyde and I know.  It is a sham.  Hyde makes you fill out ten million applications to any school that will accept you.  Then Hyde brags that a high percentage of their students enroll in a four year college.  Truth is that many of these students never attend college or drop out!  Seems ironic that a school that teaches honesty and integrity lies so much.  They wouldn't have to lie to get enrollment up if they truly had a good school.

Liar, liar, pants on fire. You sound like you know everything about Hyde. Did you graduate and go on to college?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 07:37:39 PM »
The reputation of the Hyde DC school is why people are on a waiting list to attend. It is working effectively and getting results. Sorry.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 08:49:28 AM »

One million applications...that must have cost you 50 million dollars in application fees.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 04:44:14 PM »

One million applications...that must have cost you 50 million dollars in application fees.

Now there's an intelligent response.  Care to comment on point the poster was making?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 09:29:59 PM »
There IS 100% college acceptance and attendance.  All on FULL RIDES.  This stat has nothing to do with the boarding schools.

Those schools have turned into a haven for fucked up rich kids whose parents have sent them away to get fixed.

The charter schools in DC, NYC, Oakland and New Haven admit a much different student.  

These people are fed up with the public education system and are willing to go the extra mile and include a charactor element in the education to this for their kids.  if they don't get involved, they are OUT and the next family on the waiting list is in.

PS:  The most successful grads from the CT boarding program over the past couple of years have been transfers from DC.

This is TOTALLY different from the boarding schools, so don't confuse them!!!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 11:39:58 PM »
There IS 100% college acceptance and attendance.  All on FULL RIDES.  This stat has nothing to do with the boarding schools.

Those schools have turned into a haven for fucked up rich kids whose parents have sent them away to get fixed.

The charter schools in DC, NYC, Oakland and New Haven admit a much different student.  

These people are fed up with the public education system and are willing to go the extra mile and include a charactor element in the education to this for their kids.  if they don't get involved, they are OUT and the next family on the waiting list is in.

PS:  The most successful grads from the CT boarding program over the past couple of years have been transfers from DC.

This is TOTALLY different from the boarding schools, so don't confuse them!!!!!!

Glad to know this because Hyde's boarding schools r totally fu-ked up!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 12:46:54 AM »
This article is almost a decade old, but provides insight into the feasible beginnings of the Hyde-DC Charter School.  I humbly point out the additional influx received from the conservative William H. Donner Foundation and the Walton Family Foundation, i.e., $228,999 total for 3 grants made in the years 1999, 2001, 2005.  Media Transparency records are only up to date to 2005, so it may be more.  Link to post detailing Foundation grants:  http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=21774&start=11

================================  

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/1998/ ... t.h18.html
Education Week
Vol. 18, Issue 12, Page 15
Published: November 18, 1998

don't know how to manage a school," Mr. Thompson said, "We will be there assisting them with management and financing."
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
See also...
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 12:51:24 AM »
See also "Graduation Stats" thread for discussion re. Hyde-DC's 100% college-acceptance rate and what it might really mean:

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=21094
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Surfer Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 02:34:09 AM »
http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/parents/dc/258

Hyde Leadership Public Charter School
Parent Reviews

(March 2007)
"Yes the quality of the academic program at hyde is good. The students there have an easy curriculum compared to other schools. They also offer extended help if a child is failing. Well i am a little disappointed about the extracurricular programs they really have none for middle school which was one of the reason why i put my child in hyde. I was really mislead on the sports opportunities.They said they offered several programs but as of yet we have seen none. The oe thing that i do like is that they encourage parent involvement as a matter of fact it is a requirement for parent involvement or your child will not be able to attend the following year. The rules at hyde are a little to strict."

(December 2006)
"I am a six year parent at Hyde Leadership Public Charter School. I have two children attending there and from my experience, Hyde is a very good school. I have seen this school grow over the years and I have also seen it face some challenges. Even with the struggles, I have seen Hyde pull through like a true trooper! I have all intentions of letting my children continue to attend Hyde through 12th grade. The character development of my children and other children that I have had the pleasure of seeing has been nothing short of phenomenal."
- Karen Johnson

(March 2006)
"My step-daughter has attended Hyde since Kindergarten and I have always been impressed with their teaching principles and the quality of education she has received. The school does not believe in a rote learning environment which forces the students to use higher level thinking skills, which fits quite well into what my daughter has to deal with at home. With that said, I do have some concern with the surrounding environment as well as the students who come from areas that do not foster the same type of behavior that would enhance the school's overall learning environment. Much of that has to do with how the city and the school work together to ensure the safety of the students outside of Hyde's area of responsibility. Unfortunately, there is not enough adequate protection in the surrounding areas to so."

(February 2006)
"I worked at this school last year and many of the teachers have little experience teaching. Character education is stressed while many students continue to have huge problems learning how to read and do math. It's also sad that the principles and guidelines are not really lived, especially when they are tested. "

(February 2005)
"I have been very disappointed in Hyde and its inablity to secure the students from the outside influences of the community. My perception is that the teachers are very stressed and unable to support the 'grand' mission of Hyde. I'm very sorry that I enrolled my child there."

Offline Surfer Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 02:48:14 AM »
Can D.C. Schools Be Fixed?
After decades of reforms, three out of four students fall below math standards.
More money is spent running the schools than on teaching. And urgent repair jobs take more than a year . . .

By Dan Keating and V. Dion Haynes
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, June 10, 2007; Page A01

LINK

::read::