Author Topic: ABC Family Brat Camp Forum - RedCliff Ascent  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Family Brat Camp Forum - RedCliff Ascent
« on: June 17, 2005, 05:41:00 AM »
A lot of stuff has been disappearing from the ABC Brat Camp forum recently, whether due to age or censorship I don't know.  In amongst the teens discussing which participant was the best looking (or even asking how to get on the show!) there was some important stuff that I think is worth preserving so I will cross-post it here.

I think these are the people who the RedCliff Ascent website describe as "the youth who have taken over much of the message board and use it with vulgar comments, disinformation and lack of respect for others."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 05:42:00 AM »
sgt_jason

This Camp is too easy!

Posted: Dec 22, 2004 05:34 PM reply

1 Posts

What they need is to go to Marine Boot Camp or go to a military school. That is the kind of discipline these kids need!

The Sarge!

Txsweetie1238

Re: Re: This Camp is too easy!

Posted: Dec 22, 2004 05:45 PM reply

100 Posts

well then what is brat camp literally?! I thought that it was a boot camp type thing. LOL

patrickfan91

Posted: Dec 24, 2004 06:52 PM reply

196 Posts

what is brat camp? i saw the commercials.but i never saw the show.

4calif_roses

Posted: Jan 03, 2005 11:50 AM reply

58 Posts

The show airs on Monday, Jan. 10th so check your listings for times.

123krazy123

Posted: Dec 26, 2004 03:47 PM reply

1 Posts

i don't mean to sound rude but how do u kno this camp is too easy. have you been there before?

blinkiethehotty

Posted: Dec 26, 2004 08:27 PM reply

1 Posts

your rite sarge thats all i needed [military school] that was not easy [if your reading this now on dec 26 04 send a reply ]

Message was edited by: blinkiethehotty

micahjade Re: brat
Posted: Dec 29, 2004 08:41 PM reply

10 Posts

I went to Redcliff Ascent (brat camp) and I will tell you it is the hardest thing ever. Its aboustly absurd to say that any part of this is easy.

Imagine waking up every morning thinking your at home and then relizing that your in the middle of utah away from everyone you love, or having every erathly possien taken away from you because youve hit such rock bottom that you cant be trusted. and for the people that used going threw withdraws and still haveing to hike 10 or 15 miles. not to mention the countless other things that you have to deal with. unless you have been to redcliff you cant not even begain to fathom how incredabley hard it is, not to mention it completey changes your life (for the better)

bnbfrog

Posted: Jan 02, 2005 11:37 AM reply

69 Posts

This is harder then boot camp or military school.

shart101

Posted: Jan 03, 2005 12:47 PM reply

2 Posts

How do you know if its to easy? Have you gone there? Not trying to be rude. Just wondering.

capuchin_duckie

Posted: Jan 06, 2005 01:34 PM reply

1 Posts

I went to Aspen, its not Ascent...but its basically the exact same thing. It was the hardest things Ive ever had to experience. I was woken up at 4am with my parents crying by the side of my bed and some random 6'5" guy and some chick....they were my escourts. My parents never told me I was going they just woke me up and sent me off with these 2 random people. They then flew me to Utah and then sent me off with some more random people to be taken to my new "home." When I got there I was stripped searched and everything that came off me...which was everything that was on me, was replaced with something that wasnt mine. You dont have one thing of your own when you are there...piercings, jewlery...even your underwear...yuck!! And then after driving 2 hours into the rocky mountains...just further and further away from civilization. I finally met my group...which actually I wasnt allowed to talk to for a few days...I had to move up in the program. I was there for a little over 7 weeks. Couldnt have real showers, shave, see cars, drugs, family, friends, pictures, NOTHING. it was hell..but I learned a lot from it, and now Im happy I went!!! but it was NOT easy at all!!!

carolynbadams

Posted: Jan 03, 2005 04:56 PM reply

11 Posts

You obviously have never been to RedCliff, it is the farthest from easy. While I will not belittle military schools, as I have never been to one, I will say that RCA was the hardest thing that I have ever gone through, both mentally and physically. So please do not talk about a subject that you obviously know very little about, or if you feel the need to say something than do it with more respect for those who have experienced RedCliff Ascent

shawty43

Posted: Jan 04, 2005 06:05 PM reply

1 Posts

Really I don't mean to sound rude either but these kids don't need discipline, they've gone way beyond that and discipline is exactly what they do at boot camp and that is only gonna make them rebel even more. But mess with Mother Nature and you never know what it'll throw back at you, if these kids are crying over taking out their peircings think about how they'll feel when they have to sleep outside and eat nutrition compared to the regular stuff they feed you at boot camp. I wouldn't know this from experience, but I know a little bit about military school and boot camp.

SoftBear15

Posted: Jan 05, 2005 06:46 PM reply

7 Posts

You don't necessarily choose Redcliff - they choose you. If your parents decide they love you enough to invest time and money into you, then they submit an application. After a thorough check of everything from health records, school grades, and criminal records, RCA will decide if you're accepted into the program.

I went to Redcliff with a student who was part of the Russian Mafia's chopshop in Portland. Another student had a warrant out for his arrest in 4 states for robbing $12,000 from a Pizza Hut. Every type of student can benefit from the program.

And as other previous students have said, unless you've been to RCA, you have no idea how hard it is. I imagine the show will portray a bit of a lighter side. However, trust me when I say that nothing in my life was more challanging.

Another note: In the show, it says 4 weeks is the amount of time they spend there. When I went, I was told along with the rest of my group that you were there until you passed all of the phases. I imagine, for the sake of filming, they cut back the number of phases and automatically passed each student through a phase each week. In all reality, you can miss phases and end up spending months in the program. Plus, even when you complete the phases (bookwork and projects), you may still end up spending up to another month in the program. All councilors, staff, and your parents must agree you are ready to graduate. It took me 63 days.

No lights, no plumbing, horrible food (you have to work for salt and pepper) - you clean your "cup" (the only thing you eat out of) with spit, sand, and a rag. Perhaps the worst part is never knowing what is going to happen the next day. You wake up when they say, you cook your breakfast when they say, you clean up camp when they say, and then you hike - until they say stop. You could hike 3 miles, you could hike 15. If no one in your group is able to make fire with their tools (no matches or lighters allowed) then your group eats cold (rice is no good cold and uncooked).

And as for pain: It exists in Redcliff. I tried to walk away from the first camp they put me in. I though I was big enough to push off any of the staff who might try to stop me. You learn quickly what PCS is - Positive Control System - ouch.

My best advice is to watch the show, and understand that for $24,000+ you can send your offtrack teenager to the camp and truly expect results. I can't thank the staff of RCA enough for keeping me alive.

Soft Bear
[email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 05:43:00 AM »
micahjade

RCA brat camp

Posted: Dec 29, 2004 08:52 PM reply

10 Posts

Wow thats so werid that they are doing a relity show on redcliff. if anyone who reads this has been to RCA you will get how werid this is.
micah
(yellow badger shinning)

carolynbadams

Re: Re: RCA brat camp
Posted: Jan 01, 2005 04:22 PM reply

11 Posts

Dear Micah,

I was in RedCliff a couple years ago, and to be honest I am pissed, for some reason when I found out I was so angry, not to mention very wierded out... it will be interesting to see if they portray it the way i remember it being,

carolyn

lilmouse85

Re: Re: RCA brat camp

Posted: Jan 10, 2005 02:34 PM reply

1 Posts

I totally know what you mean. I was at RCA about 2 years ago, and it was absolute HELL!!! Not to say that I was cooperative, cuz i wasnt, but If they make RCA look any easier than it was, like bringing in water for them, i'm gonna be pissed. I drank from cow troughs and want to see them do it too!! Not that I'm bitter or anything.  
Gabby

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 05:45:00 AM »
DarkAztek

Ethics?

Posted: Jan 04, 2005 05:56 PM reply

2 Posts

How is this ethical? ...At all? Since when is rehab televised? Isn't that a bit cruel?

To LEGALLY be ethical, the show must have informed consent from the people participating (which I somewhat doubt for a few of them), they must be volunteers (which I doubt they came to ABC), they must be debriefed afterwards, there cannot be any physical or mental harm done to them (which I doubt will happen), and the people involved have the right to quit whenever (which apparently they cannot).

Here's my question: How much are the people involved (or the parents of these kids) being paid to do this?

...And how can a self proclaimed FAMILY channel justify filming a cross between marine training, behavior modification school, and Abu Gharab?

4calif_roses

Re: Re: Ethics?

Posted: Jan 04, 2005 08:40 PM reply

58 Posts

Maybe after you see the program on Monday you will have a different take on the whole thing. Of course there is the usual hype involved, or the networks won't get the viewership - that being said...This program was filmed as a documentary for English Television (and aired there last year). It won an International Emmy Award for best unscripted television in December. The program is about 6 out of control teens sent(with consent) to a wilderness setting in Utah where they stay for about 50-70 days to get their lives together.

I have already seen it as our daughter was there at the same time as the UK kids. There is consent from both parents/guardians and minor for permission to film, etc. We are only allowed to communicate with our kid via letters, both ways. Weekly phone calls with the therapist only (not kid). Parents can also speak with other staff on phone. We also recieved email pics every couple weeks. The program is very involved and I won't get into it here unless someone asks. This is an invaluable and life-changing experience for the kids who go there, not just some "rehab". In most cases, the parent/guardians pay for their kid to go there (not inexpensive). I have no idea what, if any, arrangement/accommodation was made for the kids/parents from the UK. We were not paid.

And, yes- it seems cruel and is difficult for us to watch our daughter go through the process, detoxing, hurting emotionally and physically, but it seems to have been worth the price in order to regain her self respect. Hopefully for the viewing public, it will help and give hope to other kids/parents looking for some kind of assistance. Taking our daughter there was the most difficult decision we had ever made, but was the best one for OUR situation.

If you want info on the actual place go to: http://www.redcliffascent.com

DarkAztek

Posted: Jan 05, 2005 03:00 PM reply

2 Posts

No, that is not my point. I understand that for some kids it might be necessary (even if I believe that the parents should have done something earlier before having to resort to such drastic measures). I have worked in a detox clinic before and I have seen a lot of what these kids have to go through... But when it is being created into a form of reality tv entertainment, it's called crossing a border. How is it enjoyable to watch children with serious problems go through such pain and anguish on TV? It's really sad what reality tv has sunk to in order to "entertain."

...And even if they DO make this show, don't you think it would be more TASTEFUL on a documentary at the very least? ...Or at least not put on ABC FAMILY. I mean, it's supposed to be FAMILY tv, right?

And I honestly could care less if parents and kids could talk or not. The show still appears to be breaking some of the laws of ethics. Even after signing release forms, any participant must be able to stop at any time. The only way to make it legal to keep them there against their will is to make them sign a contract... Which seems like a very stupid thing for the kids to do, seeing as how they have no idea what exactly to expect. They also cannot have any physical harm done to them, which apparently there is. Again, a contract can cover that... And if they signed it, these kids ARE seriously in need of "help."

But again, my main beef with the program is that it is meant to be this "extreme reality tv show" which basically puts such serious mental and physical stressing experiences on a FAMILY tv channel. It's disgusting.

4calif_roses

Posted: Jan 05, 2005 04:17 PM reply

58 Posts

I feel the need to clarify...

Why would ABC Family choose to put this on their channel? Perhaps there is an affiliation to the UK Channel 2 it was first aired on. I don't know. Guess it's a question for the Moderator.

You make a valid point that Family TV should be just that "Family viewing material". I am curious myself to see the US version as the UK version has a large amount of cursing and I don't know how it can be shown without alot of editing or bleeping. Maybe ABC Family just wants to boost their ratings, and we all know money talks. To play Devil's Advocate... If this program were shown on a documentary station, it wouldn't be seen by alot of people who whould be able to benefit from it. The only redeeming value to showing this program is to show that all families have problems, rich, poor, functional, dysfunctional, etc. We WERE a what everyone calls a "normal" family. Things happened outside of our control. Placing our daughter in RedCliff was what we considered a LAST resort after trying other interventions. We are now a damaged family with issues that we are all struggling with and will for a long time. Remember it's ABC Family Channel NOT the Disney Channel.

...as for physical harm - There is no kind of corporal punishment given. The only physical pain they feel is from themselves and Mother Nature. Not all the kids are on drugs, and extreme drug cases are not allowed to participate. The kids have a physical prior to admission and of course there are reams of paperwork completed first. I don't want you to get the wrong idea about this place. It is a very controlled environment. If kids are currently on meds, they will continue on their meds. The food is extremely healthful, and all the kids I saw came out way healthier physically and mentally than when they arrived.

I would rather see a follow-up on how the kids are doing now, a year later.

rcanomades

Posted: Jan 06, 2005 09:56 AM reply

64 Posts

It was aired on Ch 4 in the UK. A follow -up has just been filmed as to how the 6 are now doing one year later which has not yet been shown in th UK.

4calif_roses

Posted: Jan 06, 2005 10:31 AM reply

58 Posts

Ok, RCANomad - how do you know this? Were you in the Nomads? what is your earth name?

JAMESLOVER234

Posted: Jan 30, 2005 09:16 AM reply

2 Posts

IM NIRVANAGRUNGE90's best friend!!!!!!!!! omg i love u !!!!!!!!!!!!!! u r the hottest guy ever---omg@!!!!!!

LLSullie

Posted: Jan 24, 2005 05:52 AM reply

78 Posts

HI RCANomades,

Thanks for the info. My daughter has been watching the show. My son is at VOBS in TX at the moment and it's actually helped her to understand what he's doing and why.

In case you were part of that group, do you know how Dan is doing. We were both wondering, he doesn't seem to be fairing as well as some of the others on the show ... and we were wondering how that carried over into "real life".

If you were one of the teens on the show,(and to all the others as well)thanks for helping get it on TV in the states, it's been a great help in this household And congratulations on moving forward with your life.

jamesisyummy

Posted: Jan 31, 2005 06:53 AM reply

229 Posts

hey did they even change at all according to james thing (no offense) you didn't change that much except for the drugs which someone said you didn't even do any drugs what so ever

jamesisyummy

Posted: Jan 31, 2005 07:05 AM reply

229 Posts

hey james are you really engaged to vicki and is that her in the car pic i know its none of my business and you don't have to answer if you don't want to

Fitzdrew516

Posted: Jan 06, 2005 12:36 PM reply

4 Posts

Just to let you know, the people that were asociated in this show had to sign a release to be on it. My brother went there and had to sign a release even tho he wasnt in the background. And i know it may sound like a drastic descision, but my brother had been breaking the law and my family for nine years so when you get to that point you will do anything for your life to be better. And yes it hurt to see my brother go but then again i think it helped him, he is doing better than before.

Fitzdrew516

Posted: Jan 06, 2005 12:39 PM reply

4 Posts

Was just in the background*

carolynbadams

Posted: Jan 06, 2005 06:38 PM reply

11 Posts

Dear DarkAztec,

I would like to respond to your second entry. I feel that this program is extremely disrespectful to those of us who have graduated from the program. The name of the show alone indicates the way that they are choosing to portray the young adults who are involved in this series. Calif Roses I think that you are being naive when you say that the participants come out of RedCliff stronger mentally. I guess in a way I am, but at a huge cost, I no longer trust people, I have had no close friends since returning from Utah. If you looked at my life since the program you would think that it was the best thing that has ever happened to me, I am in college with an A- average, and I am the captain of our women's crew team and am seemingly "happy." The reality of it is RedCliff has yet to leave my mind two years later. It taught me how to fake my emotions and how to make sure that they are NEVER left bare for someone to hurt, as they were at RedCliff. I no longer am able to trust anyone. While I refuse to be broken by this experience I can assure you that it has come very close. I sincerely hope that this show portrays the kids as respectfully as possible, but if not I hope and pray that no one who knows me sees the show, because I am not sure if I could live with my family?s knowledge of what I went through. Sorry this was so long...
Carolyn

RCAH8R

Posted: Jan 07, 2005 03:31 PM reply

7 Posts

Carolyn I am totally with you for sure. I was in RCA for 88 days and I feel completely the same way you do. They expose you for your weakness in that program in order to make you feel weak about yourself and then try to befriend you. That's not the way the world works. I still resent my parents to this day and it's been 6 years for me. I don't know why those British kids are on it neways makes no sense to me. But thanks for your true opinion.
Matt aka Storm Fox aka Gimpy from the injury RCA gave me read my other post to hear more.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 05:46:00 AM »
carolynbadams

been there done that...

Posted: Jan 01, 2005 04:18 PM reply

11 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am a graduate of the RedCliff program, the same that these so called "brats" are going through. I must say that having see the commercial for the program I was horrified to think that any one could be interested in this program. While TV has a way of making things look less harsh than the really are I can tell you from experience that the 59 days that I spent in the wilderness of Utah were the worst of my life. If any parents read this I would strongly urge you not to send your children to a program such as RedCliff, to the teens out there that think that this show will be funny or amusing I can safely say that thoose words are the farthest from applicable to the situation that these six young adults find themselves in. To ABC both I and my parents are appalled that you think that this is a quality show to put on a channel for children, you obviously have missed the severity of the RedCliff experience.
Sincerely,

Carolyn

SoftBear15

Re: Re: been there done that...

Posted: Jan 05, 2005 07:00 PM reply

7 Posts

Carolyn - I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience. I couldn't disagree with you more. The first days of my "trip" were the worst of my life. I wanted to give up on everything.

The staff of RCA treated me with respect through thick and thin. More importantly, they taught me to respect myself (which after nearly killing myself is a very hard thing to do).

If you have a child who is having problems in their life, contact Redcliff. They'll interview you, request information on your child, and tell you whether or not they can help. I very well might not be alive today if it weren't for RCA.

Best wishes to all graduates - and heartfelt prayers for all of the parents and future students out there preparing for the biggest journey of their life.

Soft Bear
[email protected]
this place ****** me OFF

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 05:47:00 AM »
RCAH8R

Wow

Posted: Jan 07, 2005 03:04 PM reply

7 Posts

Look people there are way better programs out there then RCA. Trust me. Feel free to read my other post or E-Mail me at netime and I will give you real deal on RCA. Yeah it helps but there is some faulty things that go on in that world that people should know about. Look at like Aspen or SUWS or other ones. RCA is the tougest but sometimes kids don't need that. If a kid has a drug problem this won't do anything for it. This is coming from one the biggest terrors on the planet that has been to 2 different wilderness programs and an emotional growth boarding school for 22 months. I am program knowledeific so just ask.
[email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 05:48:00 AM »
RCAH8RReal

Redcliffer

Posted: Jan 07, 2005 03:00 PM reply

7 Posts

Ok this show is straight nonsense as far as I can see for right now. I went to RCA and that place is no joke. The little bit of film that I've seen of it is so far off the spectrum it's unreal. Honestly I'm sorta stuck on where to even begin because when I went to RCA I was 15 years old. I'm now 22 and can honestly say that I still resent my parents for ever sending me there. It was not what fixed my problems for me and did nothing for the drug habit that I had already well endowed into myself. I was going through crazy withdrawls that were shown no simpathy, and no matter how messed up you are to people and what you have done, hiking 12 miles a day and making fires out of sticks, and having people downtalk you while you hike will not make you feel better about yourself.
I also don't want parents to think that this is necessarily a safe place either, and Redcliff can quote me on this next part that I'm about to get into.
When you go to RCA you have to go to the DR's and you usually go within a group that you have arrived at about the same time with. On the way to and from you have to blindfold yourself in order to "Not know where your going" In the middle of Utah though you have no idea where the hell you are neways. So anyways our driver thought he was just too hot to trot and was going way too fast on a dirt road for any vehicle especially for the lifted Suburban that we were in. So we start fishtailing then eventually the Suburban flips over and whaddya know...A whole bunch of injuries occur. The kid next to me wasn't wearing a seat belt and injured his neck, I shattered the growth plate in my left arm, one of the female counslers got hit in the face with a gasoline canister that we carried water in, another kid cut his hand open.....Needless to say it was an eventful day. Not over yet though. If I knew what was going to come next I would have ran away, it was chaotic enough and the problem was though most of us were too injured to do anything about it. After 45 minutes of waiting for an ambulance, and another hour trip into town we received medical attention at the hospital. All of us asked to speak with our parents to let them know what happened and that we were ok and everything. WELL THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN. We all had counslers with us the entire time to make sure that we didn't use the phone to even call out parents. I mean what is that? My parents did not know the severity of the situation that the driver was showboating whilest driving and it was his fault that we were injured. The DR's that treated every one said that we needed bed rest for a few days, the counslers said that wouldn't be possible and so for all of us that were injured we got taken to Wendy's for food and the 2 kids in Neck Braces along with me and all the others that were injured went back into the field the same night. Now I know this was a severe instence of something that could happen newhere but the people there are not about your well being and you becoming someone better. You see the Therapist once a week or maybe every other I forget but you only talk to them for like 30 minutes and they tell you what you need to do. My therapist suggested my folks not write me as much so that I could focus on me and that looking for letters from them sets me up for failure. In the middle of nowhere, with no idea of when you'll get out, no help for drug addiction which is half the kids problems, and no letters from the parents...You tell me does that sound helpful.
In the end I was at RCA for 88 days. There was a kid that had been there for 4 months when I got there and was still there when I left. The kid had a learning disability and was unable to focus on bookwork like we did. Since it's also part of the curriculum he was just sorta stuck but had become so accustomed to living there that you felt no need to change.
My group had the handcart because we were a bunch of injured retards. Like I say the money is not worth it for the parents, the resentmeant that alot of us feel towards our parents is not worth it, and for some it does change them completely but for others it just shows them to not get caught. I also did 35 days of my time with a cast (Which shoulda been 28 but they didn't have time to take me to the DR.) An experience I wish I had never lived and I thank ABC Family for making it seem like it's some sorta joke or something, I sure hope you give it a proper justification.
So my name is Matthew R. aka Gimpy (From the Injury) aka Storm Fox the name I was given in my name ceremony at RCA.
Oh yeah sometime people should look up the day that the kids rebelled at RCA when counslers got beat up and rebelled in an uprising...That's always a good story.
And why the hell are the kids English or something? I don't understand TV sometimes.

Frogger_Chickadee

Re: Re: Real Redcliffer

Posted: Jan 09, 2005 12:20 PM reply

12 Posts

hey Matt we should exchange WAR STORIES sometime email me
[email protected] i was there in 2001

getchasome123

Posted: Jan 09, 2005 05:59 PM reply

10 Posts

all right dude, you said yourself you had a drug problem, so what else did you do to get sent out there. there are ways of preventing these things. listen to mommy and daddy and don't throw tantrums when they tell you no.

braduh60l

Posted: Jan 10, 2005 06:10 AM reply

6 Posts

Its not suppose to make you feel better about yourself you idot. The camp is there as an alternative to prison. So I'd say your lucky your parents didn't send you to jail or prison.

Roar2000

Posted: Jan 10, 2005 09:08 PM reply

4 Posts

where can i find this story about the staff getting ina riot with the kids?

brightwinds

Posted: Jan 10, 2005 09:30 PM reply

2 Posts

I haven't seen the show , but I heard about it through someone that I met at RCA. I graduated from there about four years ago and it actually helped me. I know that there is a lot of messed up things that happen out in the wilderness and the staff could careless about you getting injured or sick but that's all part of the process. I had to hike everyday with a torn ligament in my ankle and needed surgery when I got out, but I still think I was able to get back on the right path and learn alot from going through this program. I don't think it was a joke at all, but the program does help you if you let it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 05:49:00 AM »
McGee1831

Shame To Reality TV

Posted: Jan 08, 2005 04:04 PM reply

2 Posts

I have to agree with RCAH8TR who previously posted his/her statement on the shame which you at ABC family have put on yourself. I too have been placed in multiple programs, including RCA. First I was placed in the actual original ASCENT program in Idaho, I was there for 3 months. Followed by another wilderness program in Montana for 2 more months. Parents thought the third time was the charm and sent me to RCA, the sister to the more severe ASCENT program in Idaho. I was in RCA for 2 more months. Im not going to say that I was right and my parents were wrong. Im not going to justify any actions or defend myself to say that these programs are worthless, because all in all, I did gain a lot of knowledge and self awareness from these programs. But what I got out of them, as well as others might or might not get out of them is their own private accomplishments, or lack there of. A lot of teens in this world have issues, some can be worked with to help prevent, others are there for the rest of their lives. But for you to exploit them for a measly profit is disrespectful and inhumane. If these teens have issues, it's their parents responsibility to seek their own help in a private matter, and thats if a teen can't find help for him/herself. Being a parent now, I understand what I had put my parents and myself through, and I thank them for their choices to send me away. I just hope I dont have to do that to my own kids. But if I choose to, its my own private decission to make, not yours or any producers, and you wouldnt be able to buy my kids problems either.
If anything you're only antagonizing these kids even more. But if angrier kids mean more ratings and more cash in your pockets, then I guess you succeeded and brought yourself to an all-time low in reality TV. Id love to see all of you at corrporate ABC go through the same programs RCAH8TR and I and many others have been through, on film, unedited. Maybe then you could see that these kids abd there families emotional stress and relationship issues are not to be solved by TV, but their own private attempts. If those attempts lead to Wilderness camps, they shold not be exploited, rather left alone so these kids can understand for themselves and go back to living new lives. But what does my commnet mean? probably nothing, just as long as you make more money, the general public, or even those who relate to your reality tv victims (not just brat camp)dont even matter.

carolynbadams

Re: Re: Shame To Reality TV

Posted: Jan 08, 2005 10:12 PM reply

11 Posts

I too went to RedCliff and agree that we should not be exploited. Seeing the previews has definitley brought back alot of emotions, especially when they decide to name the show Brat Camp. Well, just thought that you should know that someone agrees with you.

catheo05

Posted: Jan 09, 2005 09:35 PM reply

4 Posts

Where did you go in Montana? i'd like to know because i was up there when i was sent away.

McGee1831

Posted: Jan 11, 2005 08:59 PM reply

2 Posts

It was a place called Explorations in trout creek montana. Where did you go?

benjiz_babe

Posted: Jan 11, 2005 08:49 AM reply

13 Posts

itz not reality...itz all fake 2 me.....they all act...cuz no other camp filmz watz going on and they do on brat camp....itz fake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stay punk rock 4 life
ash

4calif_roses

Posted: Jan 11, 2005 09:03 AM reply

58 Posts

Sorry to burst your bubble...but the experience was not fake. My child was there while the Brits were there. She was there for 73 days. Don't disrespect their time, emotional growth or accomplishments there. It is not a joke. It is unfortunate that the British Producers named the program "Brat Camp", but guess they wouldn't have gotten as many people to watch it otherwise.

legolashorse

Posted: Jan 11, 2005 10:04 AM reply

19 Posts

All everyone wants to do to this program is diss it! Think about the people. They are all out of control! I am sorry you had to go through that, but why did you not get it the first time? (I say that not sarcastically) I know you all think it is just for profit, but maybe they wanted to help other parents know that there is hope for their own teens. I know you all think I must be really nieve, but think about it, they are there to help you all! Ephesians 6:1-3 "Children obey your parents in the the Lord, for THIS is right! Honor your father and mother that it may be well with thee and that thou mayest live long on the earth." If you had obeyed you parents, then you would'nt have had problems! If you want to talk to me more, [email protected] will get you to me!

Message was edited by: legolashorse

mrsb63

Posted: Jan 11, 2005 10:25 AM reply

6 Posts

Parents are human. We make mistakes. And sometimes, unfortunately, our kids are the ones who suffer because of them.

Should a program like this be televised?

I can see where doing a special on it might be good, to let parents know that this choice is available to them, if they decide they need it. But to make a series out of it? To show the details of these kids' lives and issues? No. I think the kids would have been better off at home, working on their issues with their parents and private therapists. The issues have to worked out with the parents eventually anyway. But I can see where having a camp like this can help that process get off to a better start, especially if drugs are involved, or tempers are out of control.