Author Topic: federal bill and it's supporters  (Read 6495 times)

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
federal bill and it's supporters
« on: June 15, 2005, 07:15:00 PM »
Hi all,

I'm working on getting a petition up so maybe we can garner up enough support from survivors, friends, family and advocates for the purpose of getting a hearing on the federal bill proposed by Senator Miller of Ca. In the meantime there are several things you can do:

Chairman Hyde's assistant has said Chairman Hyde has been assigned to review Congressman Miller's Proposed Bill 1738 with Chairman Boehner to determine if they will schedule it for hearing. This bill has not been reviewed.   Basically what it would do it require these schools to be looked into- regulated

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.R.1738.IH:

EVERYONE! write personal letters indicating why you feel Congressman Miller's bill should be scheduled for hearing. Please write to both Chairman Boehner and Chairman Hyde at the address below:

Chairman John Boehner
Committee of Education in the Workplace
1011 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515
or click here

http://johnboehner.house.gov/contact.asp

and to:

Chairman Henry Hyde
House International Committee
2170 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515

http://www.house.gov/hyde/ContactMe.htm
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline leleNtom

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 08:26:00 AM »
On 2005-06-15 16:15:00, katfish wrote:

"Hi all,

I'm working on getting a petition up so maybe we can garner up enough support from survivors, friends, family and advocates for the purpose of getting a hearing on the federal bill proposed by Senator Miller of Ca. In the meantime there are several things you can do:

Chairman Hyde's assistant has said Chairman Hyde has been assigned to review Congressman Miller's Proposed Bill 1738 with Chairman Boehner to determine if they will schedule it for hearing. This bill has not been reviewed.   Basically what it would do it require these schools to be looked into- regulated

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.R.1738.IH:

EVERYONE! write personal letters indicating why you feel Congressman Miller's bill should be scheduled for hearing. Please write to both Chairman Boehner and Chairman Hyde at the address below:

Chairman John Boehner

Committee of Education in the Workplace

1011 Longworth HOB

Washington, DC 20515

or click here

http://johnboehner.house.gov/contact.asp

and to:

Chairman Henry Hyde

House International Committee

2170 Rayburn HOB

Washington, DC 20515

http://www.house.gov/hyde/ContactMe.htm "

what is the bill about? if i knew maybe i could sign it. i ve been hearin alot about it, but im sorry to say i know nothing about it.

When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence.
-- Gary Lloyd

SAgrad....

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »
And the guy is right of course, whats the bill about?

Homeschool is self regulating. The school board is not going to have illiterate useless people living in their homes forever if they don't have a working education policy.

--Sisterbluerose

our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline leleNtom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »
On 2005-06-16 11:09:00, OverLordd wrote:

"And the guy is right of course, whats the bill about?

Homeschool is self regulating. The school board is not going to have illiterate useless people living in their homes forever if they don't have a working education policy.

--Sisterbluerose

"

damnt... quit calling me a  guy or son or whatever. im a girl... hahaha! ok? hehe

Moralizing, with the force of law or coercion, is a
far greater crime against the constitutional principles of our nation than unauthorized euphoria, regardless of the substance involved, be it chocolate or heroin.
--James

CSAgrad....[ This Message was edited by: leleNtom on 2005-06-16 11:13 ]
SAgrad....

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 02:14:00 PM »
On 2005-06-16 05:26:00, leleNtom wrote:

what is the bill about? if i knew maybe i could sign it. i ve been hearin alot about it, but im sorry to say i know nothing about it.

When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence.
-- Gary Lloyd

"

The bill:

--------------------------------------------------------

George Miller  

NEWS from
Congressman George Miller
7th District, California
Committee on Education & the Workforce, Ranking Member
Committee on Resources, Member
Democratic Policy Committee, Chairman

Representative Miller Introduces Legislation to Curb
Child Abuse in Residential Treatment Programs
Bill would affect facilities both in U.S. and abroad

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

WASHINGTON, DC -- Representative George Miller (D-California) today announced new legislation to combat child abuse at residential treatment programs in the U.S. and abroad.

?There is no excuse for placing children in unlicensed programs with badly trained and abusive staff members, which could lead to mental, physical, and sexual abuse,? said Miller, the senior Democrat on the Education and the Workforce Committee. ?It is truly frightening when the very people entrusted to care for and protect children are actually the ones who endanger them. Residential programs for children should be licensed and meet reasonable safety and staff training standards.?

In November 2003, Miller asked then-Attorney General John Ashcroft to investigate the World Wide Associations of Specialty Programs (WWASP), an organization with several campuses in the U.S. and abroad that provides ?behavior modification? programs for troubled youth, for allegations of child abuse and human rights violations.

Miller first requested the investigation after The New York Times ran a series of articles containing the allegations against WWASP. Despite repeated follow-up requests, however, the Department of Justice refused to investigate. Meanwhile, allegations of abuse continued to surface in published news reports. In December 2004 and January 2005, news agencies reported that five U.S.-owned residential treatment centers in Mexico had been closed by local authorities for numerous health violations and for placing children in punishment cells.

In an effort to deal once and for all with the problem of abuse at residential treatment programs for children, Miller today introduced the ?End Institutional Abuse Against Children Act.? The bill would:

provide $50 million in funding to states to support the licensing of child residential treatment programs. States would have to monitor the programs regularly to ensure their compliance with licensing requirements;
establish federal civil and criminal penalties for the abuse of children in residential treatment programs;
expand federal authority to regulate programs located overseas but run by U.S. companies and provide civil penalties for program operators that violate federal regulations; and
require the State Department to report any abuse of American children overseas.
Residential treatment (or ?behavior modification?) programs are intended to help children with behavioral problems, like substance abuse. Miller stressed that many of these programs provide safe, valuable services to children and their families. But he said that stronger legislation was clearly necessary to ensure the safety of all children in such programs ? and particularly in programs overseas, where organizations have moved their facilities to avoid existing U.S. laws.
?Parents are sending their children to these programs because of a promise that they will help resolve difficult behavioral issues, like substance abuse,? said Miller. ?But the way kids have been treated at some of these facilities would make any parent shudder.?

April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month.

http://www.nospank.net/g-miller.htm

I swear by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=AR5564&aid=10247' target='_new'>* - ~ Galt's Creed ~ - *

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ~ Edmund Burke
[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]

Offline leleNtom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 02:16:00 PM »
i no i cant vote.. i wanted to know what it was for... i wouldnt sign it now after reading it. but its helps. being 17 dont mean shit,  im involved and id like to know whats going on in the world.

And now the liberals want to stop President Reagan from selling chemical warfare agents and military equipment to Saddam Hussein and why? Because Saddam 'allegedly' gassed a few Kurds in his own country. Mark my words. All of this talk of Saddam Hussein being a 'war criminal' or 'committing crimes against humanity' is the same old thing. LIBERAL HATE SPEECH! and speaking of poison gas... I SAY WE ROUND UP ALL THE DRUG ADDICTS AND GAS THEM TOO!

--Rush Limbaugh, November 3, 1988

SAgrad....

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 02:20:00 PM »
damnt... quit calling me a guy or son or whatever. im a girl... hahaha! ok? hehe

wow, ok... sorry, I'll remember your a girl, calm down.

In God's wildness lies the hope of the world x the great fresh unblighted, unredeemed wilderness. The galling harness of civilization drops off, and wounds heal ere we are aware.
-- John Muir

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 02:35:00 PM »
I'm working on getting a petition up

I think she was talking about signing the petition, not the bill. Only the president gets to sign those.   :razz:

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »
True. :smile:

If Christ were here now there is one thing he would not be -- a Christian.
--Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist

[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 03:27:00 PM »
On 2005-06-16 11:20:00, OverLordd wrote:

"
damnt... quit calling me a guy or son or whatever. im a girl... hahaha! ok? hehe

wow, ok... sorry, I'll remember your a girl, calm down.

In God's wildness lies the hope of the world x the great fresh unblighted, unredeemed wilderness. The galling harness of civilization drops off, and wounds heal ere we are aware.
-- John Muir

"

I am calm.

Offline leleNtom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 03:31:00 PM »
damn i forgot to sign in!!! its me again overllord .. u mind me asking this ? how old are you?

May your days be joyously challenging and your words artfully true.
--Ginger Warbis

SAgrad....

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 03:49:00 PM »
closed
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 10:18:02 PM by Guest »

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 03:51:00 PM »
lauren? did she go to csa.... do i know u? im confused...where do u live?

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 03:53:00 PM »
closed
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 10:18:20 PM by Guest »

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 03:55:00 PM »
On 2005-06-16 12:53:00, OverLordd wrote:

"Ok, I live in Georgia. I did not go to CSA, but my friend, Lauren did, she left earlly January of this year, do you remember her? She was 18, alittle italian girl. Lauren lived in Georgia as well.

Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search?tag=circlofmiamithem&keyword=mark+twain&mode=books' target='_new'> Mark Twain

"

bad memory... usaully its good. um last name? do u know what family... was she 18 when she left?