Author Topic: Brown Schools Behavioral Health System  (Read 781 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Brown Schools Behavioral Health System
« on: June 13, 2005, 02:26:00 AM »
I am actually suprised to hear these stories about these Brown Schools programs.  I was a resident at a Brown Schools RTC program in San Antonio (Laurel Ridge Treatment Center) and it was a pretty good place.  Maybe thats because it wasnt affiliated with CEDU, I dont know.  
I had been kicked out of Island View after 5 months there, Feb - June, and was sent to Laurel Ridge immediatly.  I tried to manipulate, bull shit, fight and argue my way out of doing anything but their staff was great and didnt let me get away with anything.  I had an amazing therapist that got me interested in things that I wouldnt have given a damn about in the past, and got me on the right track to a better life.  I went in there an angry, depressed, mean, self abusive 17 yr old and came out a happy, caring 18 yr old.
I was not brainwashed nor was I abused, either physically or emotionally.  I was restrained twice while I was there, both times it was necessary, as all less restrictive means of intervention had been exhausted and I was most certainly posing a danger, once to myself and once to staff.
Now, 5 years later I find myself working at a former Brown Schools RTC in Austin, working with kids that were just like I had been.  I am also training director for the crisis intervention program.  Soon I will be graduating from nursing school and will probably keep working there as an RN.
So...  While I am sure that people have their negative experiences, there must be some positives out there.  Admittedly I have no experience with CEDU, as a resident or as an employee.
Please dont take this as me discounting your experiences.  I briefly worked at a Brown schools RTC that was abusive, and did my best to stop it.  So I know that it happens.  I guess I got lucky.
Anyone else out there who went to a Brown Schools RTC, email me at [email protected]

Thanks
Andrew
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »